>2019
>Still memed to buy SSD
Kek

Attached: 1533242316562.jpg (1152x1152, 794K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
twitter.com/AnonBabble

all I need is my 58gb optane as I don't have any video files or games bloating up my system since I'm not a child

>200+1819
>getting more than 4 cores
jej

I fell for the fucking SSD meme. I built a new gaming rig and I installed some Linux distro on it then wanted to play a bunch of Windows games so tried to install Windows on it. I forget what happened but I think the Windows partition shit kept failing anyway I formatted the drive a bunch of times before giving up and going back to a Linux distro but by then the drive had died. I forget what exactly it said but there was some fatal errors with it and was basically fucked. I've been doing this kind of shit with regular HDDs for years and never had a drive die from it. Fuck SSDs. I only use HDDs now for everything. HDDs are love. HDDs are life. Maybe I'm a retard and don't understand some fundamental thing about SSDs that led me to killing mine, I don't know and I don't care, I understand HDDs and how they work and can always make them do what I want. I will never go back to SSD cancer.

what ssd did you have?

>rig
reddit

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch

Apparently something happened in shipping too cos they sent it back or something and sent me another which came in a white box with some text that it was only for replacements or something.

Tell me what to call it instead. Its not a desktop because its too fucking big to put on a desk. I don't want to say PC because retards assume its Windows and its free advertising for MS.

>desktop because its too fucking big to put on a desk
it's a desktop
> I don't want to say PC because retards assume its Windows and its free advertising for MS.
it's a pc

i'm sorry what

I'm gonna start calling it an IBM
PC Compatible Floortop because fuck you.

it's an anime, he has mental illness please understand

>Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch
>Apparently something happened in shipping too cos they sent it back or something and sent me another which came in a white box with some text that it was only for replacements or something.
So, to summarize - you basically got scammed one way or the other, still accepted the package from the same scammer, didn't bother to start a dispute to get a refund and wondered why, o why did your SSD die out of the blue. Gotta agree with you on that you being an idiot part.

I didn't buy from Ebay or some shit though. I bought from Amazon and the order was fulfilled by Amazon not a third party seller.

Why is she so perfect?

Sure, but what's with this part?
>Apparently something happened in shipping too cos they sent it back or something and sent me another which came in a white box with some text that it was only for replacements or something.
I don't think you even know. But come on, SSDs don't fail the day you plug them in, something was definitely wrong from the start.

You rushed through something without doing your research and blame hardware for your own incompetence. You fully deserved what happened to you and your attitude of "don't know, don't care, don't care to know" is toxic and will continue to plague you until you make the decision to change it.

Attached: best_antivirus.jpg (720x724, 116K)

Theres only one good Cag doujin though

Attached: bvgbvg.jpg (454x712, 134K)

>I don't think you even know
How can I know? All I know is that I was tracking the package and it said something happened and it was being redistricted or something and then this plain white box shows up with the SSD inside, not much documentation or anything and something about it being a replacement drive I assume its what they send for RMAs so it should be higher quality no? This was back in January 2018 so I forget a lot of details.

>You rushed through something without doing your research and blame hardware for your own incompetence
Oh yeah? Tell me what I did wrong then.

>You fully deserved what happened to you and your attitude of "don't know, don't care, don't care to know" is toxic and will continue to plague you until you make the decision to change it.
I don't have that attitude for most things but why bother learning about how to prevent SSDs from killing themselves when HDDs just don't have this problem?

*redispached

is there literally any other actual benefits to HDDs other than price?

Yes

they last longer and have far more r/w, assuming enterprise level hdd which doesn't exist for ssd
they have better compatibility which matters if you're doing exotic setups like various raids or certain cluster related applications
they have much higher maximum capacity

Source? Not even Yandex gives a result.

>they last longer
Source on that?

Also, how do you reconcile the massive speed difference? After a year of having an OS on a mechanical drive it's gonna take 20 seconds just to load windows. On an SSD it's instantaneous.

see, this is what i've always though because afik pure electronic components are far more unreliable long term, but i keep hearing shit about how peoples hdd's die after 2 years

How many HDDs would you need in a RAID to match the (random) performance of an SSD? What kind of RAID would you need? What would the price / GB be at that point?

All equipment can just die spontaneously. If you purchased something like, oh I don't know, a liquid cooler and had a leak with it, would you never ever again try a liquid cooler and stay strictly with air coolers or would you be reasonable and say "it didn't work for me, lots of other people had success, it could just be bad luck?"

Every drive, optical, floppy, hard disk, solid state - they have a controller board. These fail more than you might expect.

Enterprise SSDs have always existed, it’s basically the biggest market for SSDs
Database and other latency sensitive operations only get better with lower latency storage
> they have better compatibility
How do you figure?
RAID controllers could always have bugs but those bugs are not limited to SSDs, soft RAID can eliminate the issue though

>If you purchased something like, oh I don't know, a liquid cooler and had a leak with it, would you never ever again try a liquid cooler and stay strictly with air coolers
Probably yeah, air coolers always just work for me and I never have to worry and leaking liquid.

Yes, everything fails, even protons will eventually decay

>Source on that?
look it up yourself, high endurance rated hdds last longer than any ssd in existence. the average is in favor of ssd but there are no high endurance ssds that match the highest end endurance hdd, although there are perfectly good ssds. I don't see what reconciling the speed difference has to do with it, you asked for benefits of hdd and I listed them. for a average user they aren't going to matter but that's the way it is.
the average is in favor of ssds. those are edge cases for hdds.
>soft RAID
if you're using soft raid instead of a raid controller the benefits of hdds are not relevant to you. and honestly further than that if you're using soft raid you probably shouldn't be using raid at all. for certain high end applications soft raid is not an option and enterprise hdds are the only choice.

Were you diagnosed with autism? You should get tested.

If I get tested they will probably tell me I have a bunch of other shit wrong with me too.

>no high endurance ssds that match the highest end endurance hdd
Stop larping. You don't know what you're talking about.

Even the shittiest 200gb Pliant lightnings will take continuous writes at bus speed for years without issue.

Wear leveling is a thing...

Yeah but then you can get nEEtbux.

>there are still people using HDDs for the OS

This is literally how all normie consumers are

Wear leveling doesn't work nearly as well because your RAID/ZFS/special filesystem can't really do TRIM. Not as far as I am aware, at least.

jesus fucking christ why are you all so retarded? ive had an ssd for over 6 years and had dozens of oss installed over the years and its still running to this day at the same speeds.

I'm that SSD failure guy. I'm an obese virgin who faps to transsexuals, fantasizes about becoming a girl, used to watch MLP and I literally run Gentoo as my daily OS for years now. I don't think I'm a normie.

>something something something
>something something something
Well, continue getting into shady Amazon deals, not asking for refunds and claiming everything you ever bought is faulty all the time because you got a dud.

>Not as far as I am aware, at least
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, user...

Enterprise drives handle wear leveling internally. This is why the advertised capacity is smaller. A 200GB SSD actually has 256gb NAND, but reallocates as needed.

The first greenfield I built with tiered storage has 4x 400GB Pliant Lightnings (shit by todays standards) and 20 1.8TB SAS spindles. The SSD's are write cache. They get hammered. Like, hard enough to eat up a consumer drive like an MX500 in about 4 - 6 months type hammered. Failure rate has been on-par with the HDD's, if not a little lower.

I bought every single other component of the machine on Amazon and had no issues with them. You guys said it died cos I'm retarded now you're saying it was a bad SSD, make up your minds. In my experience HDDs are superior in every single way, my mistake was ordering an SSD in the first place, I should have known better.

>wear leveling internally
Is this FS independent? Also I heard a tip once that you should leave 10% space on your consumer drive allocated for the controller to do reallocation. Is this accurate to your frame of reference?

>You guys said it died cos I'm retarded now you're saying it was a bad SSD, make up your minds
You yourself called yourself retarded and willingly took a blank package for your SSD... How could it be the SSD? I'm guessing someone tried and succeeded to peddle some fake discount Aliexpress ones.

>my mistake was ordering an SSD in the first place, I should have known better.
No, your mistake ordering and then accepting an SSD in a blank package you triple retard.

It was literally sold by Amazon themselves.

why didn't you like return it or seomthing

Because it would have had some of my data on it.

How about "computer"?

Volpone+

t. somebody who knows fuck all, spend some time reading instead of shitposting

>Is this FS independent?
No. At most, it's OS independent on consumer drives. Enterprise drives do this all internally. Except for early OCZ Trion drives (bad sandforce controller) and a couple fucked up firmware revisions for FusionIO cards.

Nearly two decades of enterprise support, both hardware and software. Thousands of machines and 10's of thousands of drives in production.

She a BBC slut

You have to separate r/w. SSD's only burn out from writes. If you have a fixed data on a ssd it will live not less than on a hdd.

SSD's = shock proof. Not exactly normal usage criteria but reason why i get them.

>doesn't know how to securely wipe data
Serves you right for getting fucked over.

How am I supposed to erase it when the drive stopped working? Any attempts to do anything physical to it to erase the data would have voided the warranty and made returning it impossible anyway. I don't know how to securely erase SSDs anyway, part of why I prefer HDDs is because I understand how they work and I can do that sort of thing easily.

Also I'm too paranoid to ever trust that it was actually erased no matter what was done to it.

Nice. Thanks

Wood chipper? Metal shredder?

Why would you trust that a spinning drive has been erased securely?

Imagine believing your spinning piles of rust are useful for anything except as massive storage drives in 2019. 1TB SSDs are going for $100 bucks

I can't return the drive for a refund if its shredded.

I just said I know more about how to erase data on HDDs than SSDs. On my HDDs I do it as a just in case scenario. I don't 100% trust it, but I do it because its better than nothing. In the case of the SSD I wouldn't trust to return it even if I thought I had it erased. I don't have to worry as much about the HDDs because I wasn't going to be sending them anywhere. I only securely erase data from them in case of theft or confiscation or something.

I did fall for it. Luckily I bought a cheap 240GB Kingston one.

Attached: 1558371098278.gif (640x360, 619K)

ATA secure erase will erase an SSD.

ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

But I have no more or less faith in spindle erasures than I do SSD erasures.

My "spinning piles of rust" WD Green still does it's job after 8 years.

SSD is so cheap now that doesn't even matter anymore

>2034
>using anything other than ps/2 to io

yeah, i've been looking into buying an ssd on amazon but all the "big reliable" brands like samsung evos and crucial mx500 have reviews about the drive being shipped with shady packaging, or defective/refurbished ssds that stop working after a year or two.
good thing i saw this thread, never buying shitty consumer ssds programmed to fail after the warranty expires.

I fell for the fucking HDD meme. I built a new gaming rig and I installed some Linux distro on it then wanted to play a bunch of Windows games so tried to install Windows on it. I forget what happened but I think the Windows partition shit kept failing anyway I formatted the drive a bunch of times before giving up and going back to a Linux distro but by then the drive had died. I forget what exactly it said but there was some fatal errors with it and was basically fucked. I've been doing this kind of shit with regular SSDs for years and never had a drive die from it. Fuck HDDs. I only use SSDs now for everything. SSDs are love. SSDs are life. Maybe I'm a retard and don't understand some fundamental thing about HDDs that led me to killing mine, I don't know and I don't care, I understand SSDs and how they work and can always make them do what I want. I will never go back to HDD cancer.

Cool, now we have a pasta for HDD vs. SSD threads. Probably the only thing faggot OP has ever done right in his entire life.

>people talk shit about ssd's
>specially about ocz vertex ssd's
>mine just werks
feels good man

Attached: file.png (674x749, 113K)

I have a 7 year old 7200rpm HDD that still works fine to this day. I only just got an SSD half a year ago for PUBG which is unoptimized and constantly reading from the drive so naturally an SSD alleviated most of the micro stutters in that game.

Asides from that one game my SSD is basically an $80 brick, my OS is still on the HDD and boots in like 30 seconds, why the fuck do I need an SSD again besides unoptimised shitty games?

probably OEM replacement, seems legit... surprised nobody understands what OEM parts are anymore.

>how do you reconcile the massive speed difference
considering data throughput and materials used to make the media, not time.

>How am I supposed to erase it when the drive stopped working?
if the drive doesn't work, how could they pull data from it?
sounds like you're making dipshit excuses for the sake of it. I really don't believe that you have data worth hiding on a drive you couldn't even install an OS on.

if you're REALLY this fucking worried, pop it in a microwave for 2 seconds.

>2019
>Still memed to not buy SSD
Kek

Attached: 1559342535468.jpg (338x517, 34K)

*makes OP sniff my smelly feets*

>I formatted the drive a bunch of times
retard

HDDs never had an issue with this you fucking retard. A drive failing after a few formats is just a fucking garbage drive.

only ssd i've had that died on me was a vertex 3 and ive had many. gl

i read all your posts. you're an autistic fuck. no one should take anything you say seriously. you should be shamed. kys

Attached: alonefeelsgun.jpg (900x589, 159K)

Everyone calling me retarded all contradict each other, not a single person can say why I'm retarded and what I did wrong. You're all calling me autistic and stupid while spouting incoherent bullshit, not a single one of you can even say what the right thing would have been. From people saying I was scammed when I bought directly from Amazon, people telling me to erase the data with a fucking shredder or microwave when the whole reason for erasing it would have been to send it back under warranty. Then people saying I'm dumb for formatting a fucking drive several times when I have spinning HDDs I formatted countless times that never fucking fail because of that.

>tfw Google gave me one for free in 2010 so I got to debunk the SSDs are a meme meme early on

how do i magically transform myself into a loli?

SSDs have limited write cycles. full formats and wipes on a 500gb drive = 500gb written off of your lifetime total.
assuming you knew this before buying, why did you buy one in the first place, and then max out the writes?
if you didn't know, well... then you're retarded to assume.

>he isn't a NVME SSD chad

Attached: chadssd.jpg (892x684, 66K)

also, if you do DOD style wipes, (writes 0, then 1, then 0), triple the amount of writes.

I'm both amazed and disgusted that you ran through 25tb worth of writes by being an idiot.

I know this but what kind of fucked up write limit would you have to have to be able to max out a brand new drive that you formatted a few times. If that's possible then I go back to my original point that SSDs are indeed a meme to be avoided. People saying I'm retarded because I did a common fucking operating on a drive a few times? Then that drive is the problem. Imagine buying a monitor that dies if you show the colour red too many times.

>I don't want to say PC because retards assume its Windows and its free advertising for MS.
what in the fuck? are you schizo or autistic?

>are you schizo or autistic?
Maybe both? idk

shake oil

I have an SSD in my desktop and another one in my laptop. I've been doing >common fucking operating (including reformatting a couple of times) on them since 2014 and they still work fine with no signs of wear.
Either you got a dud and you should RMA it, or as other anons have suspected you're just retarded.

first it was a bunch (and you forgot exactly what happened) (assuming You)
now, it's 'a few'...
And your monitor analogy sucks... let me give you a good one: Say you're moving out of the state... you always used to use a box truck, and that worked because of the intended purpose,but this time, you buy a mini cooper, and you blow the transmission/engine/whatever going back and forth, over and over...

you bought a thumble, when you needed a pitcher.

I switched the internal storage on my laptop from 1TB HDD to 250GB SSD and have been very satisfied with my reduced boot times. The space lost isn't important to me as I can just back up whatever big files I need too.

>what is secure erase

>PS/2
>not RS232

NVME:
read: 3,500MB/s
write: 2,100MB/s

SATA SSD:
read 550 MB/s
write 520 MB/s

Attached: MZ-V7S1T0BW_001_Front_Black.jpg (800x600, 51K)

you're still writing null data. still a write.
I'm leaving the thread, this guy's beyond hope.

lol
the same type of retard falling for benchmark numbers too