Hello Jow Forums

meet my new hackintosh

Attached: 8e0xif4994z01.jpg (5312x2988, 838K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.macrumors.com/threads/air-cooled-my-g5-quad.974595/
ebay.com/itm/SGI-Tezro-quad-700Mhz-146G-15K-HDD-4G-ram-V12-DVD-/251462381397
irix.cc
youtube.com/watch?v=85s7dHOXD40
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: 1560693522877.png (400x1650, 367K)

underage

Congratz user, thats the most fucking faggy looking computer ive seen.

Attached: anime girl barfing.jpg (1280x720, 121K)

I remember when SG was the biggest thing in computers
why did it die?

that's a sgi machine you fucking zoomer

Pictures of said PC running OSX and what you can do with that?

>apple in /lgbt/
kek

That’s an SGI Tezro, don’t even think about mutilating it you monster!

I hope this is just bait...

I wouldn't gut that if I were you. Not unless it's a 1GHz model. Those ran hot as fuck, even in the rackmount models, so it's better to part them out. Same with Fuels. You should still part out the insides and sell them to people on irix.cc. If it has a V12 graphics card that works those are worth a pretty penny, due the amount of TRAM they have. Do keep in mind that these are worth a grand easily if they can boot to the PROM, even for the low end models. They can be sold for more than $2k USD for the higher end ones. Go to mashek

Because the retarded management at the company tried to switch to generic Intel x86 shit and IA64. The real reason why anyone ever bought SGI MIPS workstations was for the absolutely massive collection of proprietary Unix software that ran under IRIX, as well as the impressive graphics hardware. Everything from CNC machine controls to stuff for hospitals to shit you'd use for making special effects in movies. People bought SGIs specifically because Wintel didn't offer that stuff. Then they tried to offer IA64 running Linux for their servers. Well, turns out that Linux is a heaping pile of shit and none of the compilers at the time were well optimized for Itanium, especially not GCC. So everything ran like shit and customers again had no compatibility with MIPS products.

Then, later down the road, most of SGI's intellectual property was grabbed up by either HPE or Cray (can't remember which) and they shredded and tossed tens of thousands of documents, hard drives, prototype systems, and all sorts of other stuff that would be useful for ever building SGI MIPS machines again.

Bad decisions and inability to compete.
>management absolutely pissing away money on frivolous shit like enormous decadent parties featuring multiple A-list celebrities and shitloads of free loot like $1,100 watches for every single employee
>poorly thought out mergers like buying out Cray Research, feeling that their in-development high-end server line doesn't look too cool and selling it off to Sun for peanuts (who ended up making mad fucking stacks of cash and saying it was the most profitable tech purchase ever), only to sell off the whole damn division just four years later
>falling for the Itanium meme and winding down all MIPS development, only to end up having to rehash the R10k way too many times because oh fuck oops Itanium's late and fucking sucks ass please keep buying MIPS despite the fact we explicitly killed it (customers didn't like this AT ALL)
>other weird decisions like a line of x86 NT workstations with strange esoteric architecture that nobody really wanted in the first place
>hardware fuckups like faulty CPUs shutting down due to excess current draw
>commodity PCs catching up fast with SGI unable to keep up the pace, especially in the realm of 3D development
>software vendors moving to commodity PCs due to the aforementioned

>poorly thought out mergers like buying out Cray Research, feeling that their in-development high-end server line doesn't look too cool and selling it off to Sun for peanuts
At least we got the Starfire/E10k out of that one.

>Not unless it's a 1GHz model. Those ran hot as fuck, even in the rackmount models
How hot is TOO hot?
Like Power Mac G5 hot?
Maybe GeForce 8 series hot?
Or 9900kys hot?

>Power Mac G5 hot?
>GeForce 8 series hot?
Neither of those were as hot as the Internet made them out to be. The Pentium 4 and Fermi, on the other hand...

G5s literally melted their cases. kys iJeet

I still remember that scorching Pentium with like retarded 130W TDP.

See

>G5s literally melted their cases
What the fuck are you talking about?
G5s had two primary failure modes:
1. The chipset heatsink clips were made out of flimsy plastic, so they'd break and cause it to overheat, killing the motherboard. This had nothing to do with the heat produced by the CPUs.
2. The 2.7GHz Dual and 2.5GHz Quad models had shitty liquid cooling systems which leaked and corroded the motherboard and the casa. Again, nothing to do with the heat produced by the CPUs. The systems didn't even need the liquid cooling in the first place, as many users have swapped their LCSs with air coolers successfully.

>G5s had two primary failure modes:
>1. The chipset heatsink clips were made out of flimsy plastic, so they'd break and cause it to overheat, killing the motherboard. This had nothing to do with the heat produced by the CPUs.
>2. The 2.7GHz Dual and 2.5GHz Quad models had shitty liquid cooling systems which leaked and corroded the motherboard and the casa. Again, nothing to do with the heat produced by the CPUs. The systems didn't even need the liquid cooling in the first place, as many users have swapped their LCSs with air coolers successfully.
MACBOOMERS BTFO

Attached: 1544680042527.gif (500x284, 1.75M)

Don't know but I had an SGI Fuel R16k 800MHz that I kept on 24/7. Left it to render some fuckhuge shit overnight. For some reason the failsafe mechanisms either didn't exist or didn't kick in. It ended up cooking itself to death. Lots of loose/unseated components from the heat. It killed the RAM, CPU, and motherboard. Graphics board and hard disks luckily were okay. Fuels just have a piss poor thermal design since it's a bunch of MIPS parts in a PC case painted red. SGI tried to compensate with plastic heat shrouds to direct airflow but it didn't really work.

I ended up buying two Tezros last year. One deskside 1GHz and one rackmount 800MHz, both dual CPU. I swapped the CPUs in them and sold the 1GHz rackmount Tezro to a retard.

>The systems didn't even need the liquid cooling in the first place, as many users have swapped their LCSs with air coolers successfully.
I had no idea about this! I thought the daughterboards attached to the CPUs with LCS were incompatible with the heatsinks in AC models.
Do you remember where you read that?

>Left it to render some fuckhuge shit overnight. For some reason the failsafe mechanisms either didn't exist or didn't kick in. It ended up cooking itself to death. Lots of loose/unseated components from the heat. It killed the RAM, CPU, and motherboard.
Fuck! I hope your loss was tax-deductible.
Unacceptable in a six figures price-tag computer.

forums.macrumors.com/threads/air-cooled-my-g5-quad.974595/

I got it for $200 used so I wasn't out that much. This was only about 5 years ago.

iToddlers /btfo/

Attached: iToddlersBTFO.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Well, that sounds like a sweet deal, considering the last Tezro I was following on eBay sold for nearly five times that.
ebay.com/itm/SGI-Tezro-quad-700Mhz-146G-15K-HDD-4G-ram-V12-DVD-/251462381397
Still those 200 bucks could have bought you an Ukrainian or Venezuelan wife.

I was talking about the Fuel. Paid 800 for the rackmount Tezro and $1100 for the deskside.
>Still those 200 bucks could have bought you an Ukrainian or Venezuelan wife.
How does this work? It's not like they sell them at the corner store.

Apparently you get an e-mail from a beautiful woman telling you she's willing to leave Ukraine/Venezuela for the US because of Maidan/Maduro and that she needs US$ 200.00 in order to do so. So far, sounds like your typical scam, except (depending on the exchange) she also proposes to become your wife in order to get a marriage green card. Now how they go that far without the scam falling apart I have no idea, but seems to me like there's a point where they can steal your money if they don't like you. but if they do, they literally will whore themselves to you.
I would much rather buy some trashed SGI Fuel for that price tho.

Attached: kyoko kek.gif (344x426, 714K)

Well that sounds like an awful lot of trouble. I would much rather take the whole LCS with the two 2.5Ghz 970MP and replace them with two AC 2.3Ghz 970MP.

You literally tarnished a SGI workstation with craplel...

Put a real *nix on it.

Like what? Minix? Linix?

I think it might've been a ruse, newfriend. OS X doesn't run on MIPS.

>he doesn't know
you poor thing...

Attached: ee434eab_IMG_4229.jpg (3900x3308, 1M)

>OS X doesn't run on MIPS.
That is not what OP meant...

Attached: 1536613086511.jpg (1152x1536, 258K)

>the state of this fucking thread
Anti-mactards really are unironically the dumbest posters on Jow Forums.

Attached: 1558735168608.jpg (450x399, 140K)

Don't think you can do that. The Quad LCS isn't even bad anyway, they hammered out most of the bugs by then.

It makes me angry every time I see this picture

Why? Video games are for children.

That's not the OP's Tezro. That one belongs to an admin at irix.cc

OP is a pic thief

That's exactly why people are got triggered about it, a literal child took a moderately rare and unique piece of development hardware and destroyed it because they thought the case would be cool for their cheapie video game console.

It's not just video games, anyone who casemods is a child.

Sorry for the shit contrast, it's late and I'm in a bad mood because some douche decided to take old pics of my Tezro and troll Jow Forums.

How's it going boys? This is my Tezro. Her name is Murasaki. I am unironically using this machine on a regular basis (It's fucken dusty though).

FAQ:

What does it run: IRIX 6.5.30 (August 2006)
What do you do with it: Watch 90s hentai on mplayer
Is it for sale: Nope
How much did you pay for it: Nunyabizness

AMA about it. I'll post a pic of the Tezro with each reply!

Attached: IMG_20190616_220255774.png (1280x960, 1.1M)

>took a moderately rare and unique piece of development hardware
It was a development kit for video games. So childish crap. It was probably just generic x86 garbage, anyway.

Got any vintage hentai recommendations

Origin 350 is better

Boku no Pico :)

Nah, I don't share my fetishes on Jow Forums. But thanks for asking spergboi

Attached: IMG_20190616_220228975.png (960x1280, 1.07M)

Can you pop open a winterm or the PROM console and show us the hinv? And please, for the love of all that is good and holy, dust your fucking Tezro. They aren't getting any easier to find. Take care of it.

No comment amigo

Attached: IMG_20190616_220238716.png (1280x960, 1.21M)

ok mom I'll clean my room.

I can't power it up right now, no monitor setup at the moment for it.

But I know the specs:

It's a V12 Graphics (they never came with V10 from the factory)
4x700MHz
6G of RAM
2x146G SCSI 15K drives

Also enjoy a pic of my gun I keep by my bedside in case you fuckers want to steal it.

Attached: IMG_20190616_221442179.png (960x1280, 1.43M)

I sould watch some hentai on one of my sgis...

And most of the non-x86 hardware you jerk it to was squandered on low quality soul-sucking proprietary enterprise malware, so what's your point?

Specs are decent. Mine is dual 800MHz, 4GB RAM, V12 graphics, and one 72GB disk.

>threatening anonymous forum users
I bet you also use that cheap piece of shit to protect your virginity.

LOL

Is it that much better than a good Octane for most stuff you'd run on IRIX as a hobbyist at home?

>The systems didn't even need the liquid cooling in the first place, as many users have swapped their LCSs with air coolers successfully.
The LCS G5s had LCSs for quieter operation, not out of thermal necessity

I prefer more threads to faster cores man. I also think I know you - if you've ever been on the IRIX discord.

It's a CZ-52 and a workhorse gun. It's a home defense gun.

Depends, it has MUCH faster RAM so it's gonna be faster. The Fuel, otoh, isn't really worth it. Fucking gay.

Here's a back pic to my Onyx2 for you boys. 4x400 MHz with Reality graphics. I'm restoring it!

$400 bucks, and 14 hours

Attached: IMG_20190616_222905913.jpg (3072x4096, 2.62M)

Not him but I also have a Tezro. The answer is no. Get an Octane2. They're a bit cheaper and will work the same for nearly everything you'd want to do with it. I wouldn't go lower than 400MHz for a single CPU. V6 graphics are perfectly fine for just displaying basic video if you want to just dick around with simple Unix stuff. Get at least 512MB RAM. 1GB is preferred if you have extra money for it. Get as big a disk as you can afford. IRIX is a bitch to reinstall and set up.

I'm on the Discord and forums. Send me a PM on the forums if you think you know who I am.

We doin this man?

Attached: 20190616_222542.jpg (4032x2268, 3M)

Cool shit, I already have an Octane but I'm restoring it back to a dual 195 for autism reasons, want to pick up a dual socket Octane2 in the future, though.

um that kb is missing the windows key

You can put a 2.3ghz dual core in the A socket.
Nobody has tried a 2nd one in the B socket.

OS keys weren't used on IRIX

They should have been. An infinity cube key on a keyboard would be badass.

What would it even open or activate? It's just not useful.

>sgi workstation
>/lgbt/

source for the last part?

is it true openbsd is the only currently-developed OS that can drive tezro graphics?

Why do they let Jow Forums and electionfags in here?

They do have a fully working MIPS port.
youtube.com/watch?v=85s7dHOXD40

Your fingers look short and fat. Faggot.

Former SGI employees. Go ask the irix.cc Discord.

Dunno about a Tezro but it works on Octanes, though I'm not sure which models. The graphics support is extremely limited with no acceleration. Everything is slow and laggy.

isnt that case worth a shitload of money, even if its fucked up?

Heard ni/g/Jow Forumsers out here starting shit

Attached: chrome9.jpg (3024x3024, 1.7M)

Is the Octane2 as good as the Tezro.

Depends on what you use it for.

Sleep tight comfy Tezro.

>>other weird decisions like a line of x86 NT workstations with strange esoteric architecture that nobody really wanted in the first place
Don't shit on the first generation VWs, those things are practically multi-socket O2s but with actually useful processors. Pretty sure Cobalt was the fastest 2D/OpenGL chipset around in 1999, too.

>Pretty sure Cobalt was the fastest 2D/OpenGL chipset around in 1999, too.
*in the PC world

Yeah, SGI stuff is worth quite a bit even today.

Jow Forums related, where the hell do you put the magazine in that beautiful thing? looks like it has a tiny monopod under the barrel. the belt ring(?) makes it look like the grip is not where the mag is stored.

They were literally and unironically Autodesk Flare/Smoke machines charging in the six figures for their workstations bundled with licenses.
They should have paid more attention to the consumer market. Development in consumer GPUs literally ran them over. Everybody likes memeing about "muh gayms" but that's what really pushed the hardware forward.

>1. The chipset heatsink clips were made out of flimsy plastic, so they'd break and cause it to overheat, killing the motherboard. This had nothing to do with the heat produced by the CPUs.
this happened to my machine, i'm still mad.

never happened to me i bougth mine back in 2005 and still works to this day.

mine was from 2006 and died on me in 2012.

It only happened to the 2003/2004 models with PCI-X. The 2005s with PCIe had proper retention mechanisms.

>mine was from 2006
That's a Mac Pro (Intlel).