Are eGPUs a thing yet?

Going to buy a Razer Core X tomorrow to plug in my 1080 Ti, anything I should know? Laptop is a 2018 13" MBP.

Attached: iu.jpg (1920x1280, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

why?

Probably because the built-in GPU is shite?

gaming on that laptop is going to break the keyboard.

Unreal Engine 4 + the occasional Dark Souls, both in Windows. I used to game more which is why I have the Ti, hoping AMD launch a card that isn't shit sometime this decade

Doing anything on the keyboard in this laptop will break it lol, I have a Vortex Poker 3 etc

your CPU is still going to be thermal throttled, so it doesn't fucking matter

best portable gaming setup nowadays is whatever 144hz gaymen laptop has the best CPU thermal management + the razer core

>Nvidia
>eGPU
>On a Mac
Pick two.

I keep reading about this throttling meme but on my i7 7700K it barely reaches 40% CPU usage in most modern games. The CPU benches similarly to the one in the MacBook.

I'm not interested in Razer / Alienware / whatever laptops because they're for man-children.

The eGPU is going to be used in Windows until AMD release a decent card, at which point I can sell the Ti.

All three works actually.

>hoping AMD launch a card that isn't shit sometime this decade
>Living in the year of our Lord 2019
I have some bad news for you

That's the joke

Probably only in High Sierra at the moment due to lack of driver support in Mojave

Why the fuck would you buy a macbook to run windows on? You're literally getting the worst of both worlds.

>Probably only in High Sierra at the moment due to lack of driver support in Mojave
What lack of driver support?

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 23.02.52.png (2296x1160, 938K)

Are you that autist with the 750M again?

Confused, I thought you had to run Nvidia webdrivers e.g. tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/ and those aren't available past High Sierra. You're running CUDA drivers? Is that only for running CUDA loads or can you actually use the graphics card to... you know, display things?

I didn't buy the MacBook to run Windows on it. I bought it to run macOS. I've run Windows occasionally on MacBooks for 9 years and it's been fine.

It's using the GPU to display things, yes. I installed the CUDA driver in order to develop CUDA.

>again
I don't know what you're referring to, but the mid-2014 MBP has a built-in 750M yes.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 23.10.31.png (2126x1352, 550K)

Old cards are still supported by apple drivers.

Right, so you're just trolling, fair; I thought you actually had an Nvidia eGPU running under Mojave.

>1080 Ti
>not old

> original post frames discussion about 1080 Ti / modern cards
> replies with well-known but useless fact that Fermi cards work under macOS

This is the quality autism I expect from Jow Forums

There is no difference from the system's perspective. Even if newer drivers may not work on macOS, old ones definitively do.

Go tell that to the guy trying to prove nvidia cards are still supported by posting his macbook with a 750M

21 posts in and nothing interesting, thanks Jow Forums

Wew lad, kys

>21 posts in and Jow Forums hasn't validated my shit choices yet
FTFY

they work, but are expensive.

If your workload requires a gpu, it is the perfect solution.

very comfy to have a laptop on the go then plug into something more powerful at home

ppl always told me that the laptop should run cooler, but it doesn't. You could get a $20 flat laptop fan and thatd solve thermal issues.