/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a SUPER series that will reportedly see 20 series cards bumped by ~15% performance while retaining their price points. More info on the SUPER series possible on 6/21.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1560550280993.png (1600x900, 488K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-B450-Gaming-ITX-AC/dp/B07FVVNDFX/
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZhsnYT
youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i belive in you but i also know that voltage is hella high

If I'm waiting for the 3600 to launch, what's a good GPU to pair it with to be reasonable with costs?

I'm almost considering just a 580 until I can upgrade it

3600/x and 2060 super now with 8gb is gonna be the GOAT for awhile

1660 seems almost useless with the rumour of the SUPER lineup desu

Is it a bad idea to buy this for 3900X now
amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboard-B450-Gaming-ITX-AC/dp/B07FVVNDFX/

pretty much feel bad for everyone that early adopted into 1660ti and junk

It's compatible so I don't see why it would be

Probably the 5700/XT but you might want to wait for the 2060 Super if it's announced by next month.
>I'm almost considering just a 580 until I can upgrade it
3600 is huge overkill for that card. You could save a lot just getting a 2600 and b450 board on sale.

????? 1660 is $220. 2060 Super is likely to cost $350-$400.

it will at last be a upgrade from 16xx

1660ti and 2060 are equal in power but 2060 is hella expensive

so a drop in price of old 2060 or a bump in power of super 2060 would fix that

if you're getting 3900X it would be best to get a good X470 or X570 motherboard with good VRMs

>feel bad
>for people who've had baller 1080p performance for the last four months
They don't even think about you.

stupid question but can i use the new gpus on my mobo with pcie3

yes, GPUs won't utilize PCIE 4.0 for years yet

>tfw buying either a rx5700 or super 2060 depending on what releases first

It'll probably be 5-6 years before the first consumer GPU can even fully saturate Gen3.

>They don't even think about you.
People are getting baller 1080p on 3 year old cards. Lol

how do you feel abot them amazing VR 4k heatsets?

Apparently this is the only ASRock board that has no word on getting the BIOS update

>what's a good GPU to pair it with to be reasonable with costs?
Wrong priority. Look at what GPU you need for your desired screen, then get a CPU to match.

VR is a meme.

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/

>recommending a 6c part for gaming when in a year the baseline will be 8c thanks to consoles

you'd think folks would learn after what happened with the intel 7xxx line

Consoles have had 8 cores since 2013.

literally nothing will ever use 4.0 to its full extent

maybe we will get some 4.0 sata controllers that will connect something retarded like 8 SATAIII to one x1 connector

i think at best we will get some SLI or crossfire tecmogolojy that will do something to work better with 4.0 but like current tech it will do good for like 2 games and fuck the rest.

anything under 8t will stutter like a bitch

you want under that for HTPC or facebook machines. nothing else will do good for quality gaems

Who said the 3800X is cheaper than the 9900K?

Intel and AMD did

Does anyone know if the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula motherboard is compatible with a 7700k?

it is not, so said intel

>tfw sucker for all things limited and collectible
Talk me out of getting 5700 XT anniversary edition

>Talk me out of getting 5700 XT anniversary edition
I've put a pretty stick on this here product that cost me $1.
It's special because I said so. That'll be $50 extra goyim

>bought an RTX 2060 for high fps 1080p, 1440p possibly when the monitors drop in price later this year
>super model with 8gb of vram

I feel burned. Think I'll be able to resell for at least ~$300 when super releases?

Attached: 1556076592835.png (388x413, 5K)

wont age well because it doesnt have HW acceleration for ray tracin

8 modules != 8 cores

gib 3400G so I can achieve peak autism

>implying hardware acceleration for ray tracing will age well on anything that's out currently other than the 2080TI

Buy a 2600 and a $20 gpu and you have the same think today with 2 extra cores

Also I do realize that I could go with Navi. I dont care either way. I do care about path/raytracing though seeing as the Minecraft (mod but w/e)/Quake 2 usage was actually good.

but what about gimmicks user

it wont sell well at all

theres a myriad of 2060 out there for sale used because the market is jammed with RTX that wont be RMA'd because of the hynix memory issue.

noone should gamble on a used RTX with this

something is still better that nothing.

May as well give it to my girlfriend then. She only games at 1080p anyway.

Does PNY make a quality graphics card?
+The other American vendor besides EVGA
+NVIDIA's exclusive AIB partner for Quadro
+Major GPU vendor for system builders
+Doesn't fall into the gamer marketing trap
All of these would seem to imply quality.

Attached: PNY-Graphics-Cards-GeForce-RTX-2070-Blower-pk-new.png (800x800, 272K)

>gf

Attached: 1548909768601.gif (406x300, 3.17M)

Not everyone who plays on pc is an incel.

XFX is American as well and pretty shit.

Would like to know too.

Theyre not equal at all. 1660ti is a 1070 while 2060 is 2% off from a 1080.

Is it marketing wank when they sell quad channel and dual channel kits? will quad channel kit work as good on a dual channel cpu as if i got dual channel kit?

If the price per transistor has gone down, why has the price of CPUs and GPUs gone up? Do they not use transistors anymore?

Attached: 1560463306091.jpg (509x339, 18K)

What do you mean quad-channel kit? As in 4 DIMMs?

If your motherboard is dual channel but has 4 slots, there's no reason not to use them. No difference from having 2 DIMMs, though.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZhsnYT
Pretend the gfx is whatever 400$ish RTX Super or R5700whatever turns out best. How does it look, otherwise?
yes, I am mad I missedbthe sapphire pulse for 300tyvm

its a set of memory sticks guaranteed by the manufacturer to work well together

cheap transistors means more of them in the same place
thats expensive goyim!

>implying the numbet of transistors per chip isn't constantly rocketting upwards

>If your motherboard is dual channel but has 4 slots, there's no reason not to use them
There's a pretty big reason, dual channel IMCs perform terribly with 4 DIMMS. You'll be lucky if you can push above 3000mhz on them.

Depends on the game really.

In some cases, the 2060 is faster than the 1080, in others it's the same as the 1070. Usually the same as the 1070ti.

fine ish, you sure you dont wanna 3700 non X variant? its like almost nothing more

~400 apparently will get you a old 2070 or a super 2060, just fyi. they should be better that the v64

That HDD is slow as hell, and the monitor is TN, which has terrible viewing angles if that's an issue for you.

>3700 non X
Doesn't exist.

How do you intend to flash the mobo to make it Zen2 compatible?

I checked and the memory type is Samsung, so I should be good. I'm also seeing people selling the founders edition that I have for more than it initially went for. Obviously it'll drop in price once the super edition is released but I can prove the memory isn't hynix.

guys is the asrock b450 pro4 is a nice board for light to medium overclock for ryzen 3700x?
any bang for the buck mobo for it?

B450 Gaming Pro Carbon is a safer bet.

id honestly sell now before the price crash. i know this means to use nothing but that market wont get better.
have that and some benchmarks running in video to prove its a stable card at standard settings. how is the warranty?

MSI's B450 is the safest bet for not getting shit

doesnt that overvolts automatically and wont let you undervolt?

I wouldn't trust ASRock boards again after it repeatedly lost my M.2 drive and the I/O ports started falling apart.

is msi bios consider the okay now i research on the web that state the best bios to update or tweak could either be asrock or asus
so this board can also go full oc the ryzen 3700x when it comes out? should i got to x470 area if the price area is price differently depending on the model of course

the reason i see asrock is once ryzen 1st generation is being recomendend by the thread op few years back
there is mobo recomendation for it
if for you which is the best b450 bang for the buck
i tried to no go retard on mobo

>is msi bios consider the okay now
yes sir do the needful it update no cpu extra promise!!!

I have the original box and receipt info. I have no problem selling now since I have a backup laptop so I'll probably do that. Is Navi still getting path tracing support or was that deconfirmed? I've heard over the past couple weeks that it didn't get support.

I was looking at overclocking my AMD FX8320 because I'm poor and can't afford to upgrade. Using Cinebench for stuff and pic related keeps happening. I haven't set up the OC yet but can someone explain why my CPU is scored considerably lower than what look to be moderately slower CPUs? I have a basic understanding of computers but I'm a total smoothbrain when it comes down to the minutia of why things do what they do.

Attached: Untitled.png (365x81, 4K)

You need a board that can update without a CPU, so you're limited to this list.

Ghz isn't speed.

basic explanation: those other "slower" CPUs can make calculations faster then yours

literally its on vulkan api but navi will not have HW support to ray tracing, so expect something absurd like a 75% fps drop when ray tracing is enabled

Thanks. Did a little reading and educated myself on what ghz actually represent.

Well path tracing is different from what I understand but if it doesn't make path tracing easier and is essentially just 7nm Vega then... yikes.

is the x-series worth going into?
oh so asrock board is not worth going into anymore?
do you use this board user? is the x-series worth going into? or just stick with b-series board?

2060 6GB was the biggest scam of 2019, but the 2060 8GB Super might be the most competitive product in its price range. Thoughts?

congrats both statements are wrong

Is it time to upgrade?

Attached: boomer.png (672x529, 36K)

No, there's no real reason to use a Blu-Ray disk drive as your DVDRAM drive will suit your purposes just fine, grandpa.

Nah just wait for Zen 3

I bought a 2080 ti, now the rumours are that's getting a super version even though the rumours before said it wouldn't.
Haven't put it to use yet because I'm waiting on the Ryzen, so if it gets knocked out of its spot as the top GPU before I even get to use it I will be kicking myself even if the performance increase (this gen) is minimal.
Reminds me of this scene in the Simpsons in a way
youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

don't kick yourself, user

It'll run Halo CE just fine. Leave it

rtx is still a meme so you are still overpaying everything

reminder super cards will come with cyberpunk 2077

I was originally considering buying a PC back in September then January but budgeting concerns made me wait until May, by which time Ryzen buzz was loud enough to keep me from pulling the trigger on intel, so I've dodged a far larger bullet than the incremental "Malibu Stacy with a hat" that the super series more or less seems to be (even if it's more substantial than a hat).
Any word on what the speculated performance jump for "Super" edition cards is going to be? I don't think it's really relevant to me because I don't intend to play at 4k (and I doubt the Super will make 4K feasible), and I imagine by the time technology has advanced far enough for 1440p to trouble the 2080 ti the Super edition won't be noticeably ahead.

?

Who the hell forced you to buy 1200$ overpriced piece of shit. You are fucking retarded, nigger.

What would you have done, whitest of ubermenschen?

no one knows what the super lineup is actually going to be. leaks have been sparse and inconsistent so far

I wouldn't pay 1200$ for a consumer GPU that's for sure. Fuck ngreedia and fuck you too nigger. Because of people like you they are getting away with those crazy prices.

Do you want me to apologise?

just put together my first build and im not only getting a "no hdmi signal but also a "no display port signal" problem. ive tried removing the graphics card, sticking 1 stick of ram in there, tried taking out and putting back in the cpu, reattaching power cables but fucking nothing has worked.
i have a evga 2080 which lights up and the motherboard which is an z390-e lights up too so i think they're working? the monitor is a vg248qe and before anyone asks yes ive tried unplugging it and plugging it back in.
what the fuck did i do wrong?

Attached: 1503350811132.gif (570x498, 851K)

Buying overpriced RTX shit is what you did wrong.

>buying technology before you can use it
You should be kicking yourself

>2060 6GB was the biggest scam of 2019
False

>2060 8GB Super might be the most competitive product in its price range
Possible

k

I got it on sale ~75 dollars less than it normally is

If your CPU has iGP, just remove the graphics card and use the mobo's video out. Obviously plug your monitor into the graphics card when you do use it

This is the main reason why I'm hesitant to sell my 2060 now. I feel like it may just be more worth it to wait until an official Nvidia announcement. I don't mind selling at a loss as long as it's at least close to what I paid for it.

Well the 2080ti is a different story. I'd never ever have to upgrade if I had one of those things so I don't think it would be a bad purchase. I'm sort of a poorfag though and my max budget on my build was around $1000. Consoles will also NEVER reach that level of power, not unless they start selling premium versions for well outside the range consumers would by them for. I just want the 2 extra gigabytes of vram for future proofing. After that... I don't really think I'd ever upgrade again if I'm being honest. Even if raytracing goes beyond what my card could handle I'd still be able to play at good framerates for quite some time. I wouldn't kick yourself if I were you, technology is always getting better and cheaper. Someday a card that powerful might cost a couple hundred bucks but who cares when you can use it now and years from now.