Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 1457082126168.png (283x200, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

privacytools.io/software/voip/
veracrypt.fr/en/FAQ.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is Tox a honey pot? I just found this thread:

Nah.
privacytools.io/software/voip/

How sketch is a loopback XHR?

Attached: loc_xhr.png (560x257, 18K)

If I buy a USB 3.0 extension cable and plug into a USB 3.1 port, will it run at USB 3.1 speeds? I would think so since the pinout is the same.

I'd think not since Ethernet cables use the same pinouts but different cables run at different speeds?

Attached: ^68BE759A8A7ECA3B22599FC2180A957C10AC13B7FBB3D2391D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg (1012x1200, 133K)

how the fuck do I fix this. are these moddable?

Attached: IMG_20190616_113539.jpg (3120x4160, 2.63M)

Unless you're expected to be running a server on your local system to provide information to this remote service, very.

Ethernet cables are a whole different thing, and their speeds are usually determined by the port more than the cable.

3.0 isn't a thing a thing anymore, although some old shit still has it printed on it. Just trust me on this. 3.2 Gen 1 is the new name for 3.0.

3.2 Gen 2 is twice as fast, and 3.2 Gen 2x2 is twice as fast as that. The latter two only work over Gen 2 cables, so if the extension cord wasn't made for that, it would limit you to Gen 1 speeds.

>these
>excludes all logos from picture
Google the model + XDA

USB naming is a clusterfuck which has changed multiple times. It's very hard to tell which cable supports exactly what and if it will actually work properly, sadly. Best bet is to try to look at the speed rating, like whether you're trying to get 5Gbps (which was the old USB3.0) or 10Gbps. Try buying a cable based on that, though even then it might not work. I needed some 10Gbps extension cables, bought like 3 of them and none worked in the end. It's a huge fucking mess and it's essentially impossible to tell what you're actually buying.

lol I was referring to ink screen e-readers in general, though that's a Kindle. it just seems so weird that they'd leave a gyroscope out of the thing, or at least an option to set a different orientation to it. I'll look that up thanks

Just make sure to hide your IP, if you care about that I mean. It's in their FAQ if you don't believe me.

Thanks user, this actually meant a lot more to me
Definitely going to consider your advice

Attached: 1533311291280.jpg (750x559, 53K)

things you can do in linux;
- partition disks (duh)
- format ntfs volumes (mkfs.ntfs), if you need to restore a .wim to an unformatted partition
- restore .wim files (wimapply, part of wimlib)
- capture .wim files (wimcapture, part of wimlib)
- move important data out of the way and delete everything else (much easier to do from in linux, since permissions and links don't get in the way)
the initial installation and preconfiguration can be done from in linux as well... if you count using a VM. keep in mind you can use a VM with a real disk

oh, do be sure when capturing/restoring wim's in linux, to do so using the unmounted volume (eg. /dev/sdz5) rather than a mounted volume
the latter will appear to work, and indeed is ok for wims of normal files, but due to ntfs-3g limitations, it will not preserve the ntfs metadata completely, and will break a captured windows installation
i learned this the frustrating way

All my apps on my phone dont have audio notifications
Not the system apps, just any apps that are installed via the play store
DND is not one
All volume sliders are at maximum in the settings>sound tab
I am using ringtome/alarm/notification sounds that are included as part of android defaults
Under settings >apps and notifications, there are no "off for X number of apps"
None of the apps are denied the notification permission
Going in to the apps settings, none of them have notifications turned off

How do i fix this?
I did a factory reset and denied restoring from the back up and reinstalled the apps again manually and still the same shit

Does anyone know of a program that allows for cataloging mp3/audio files, pictures, and texts in a clean, orderly format?

I'm looking for something that I can upload a picture to, embed an audio file/playlist in, and a text/description box to write in. Like an interactive journal or something. I'm trying to build a reference/association collection and having everything featured on a single page would be helpful and convenient.

Turn it upside down

a database

I run a g3258 clocked at 4.1 ghz 1.3v (bad luck with the silicon lottery). Running windows ltsc with most if not all the spyware disabled because of laziness/gayms. Will linux provide more/less system stability (current oc is stable af)? Are there any hardware issues i should know before installing linux? I've tried mint before and that shit had an insufferable mouse problem (no way to actually reduce mouse sensitivity, even through terminal).
basically asking what distro should i go for, a lot of software i use is already FOSS so it shouldn't be an issue. something riceable too

wiki?

>3.2 Gen 2 is twice as fast, and 3.2 Gen 2x2 is twice as fast as that
No, go read the Wikipedia article. 3.2 gen 2 is the same speed as 3.1 gen 2 but with cheaper cables that won't run full speed on the older standards. 3.2 gen 2x2 is twice as fast as 3.2 gen 2 or 1. It's all a scam to make people buy cables that are one gauge too small to work right on 99% of existing hardware.

Is it possible to somehow extract game texture from memory?
I have already source texture, but in-game that texture is somehow downscaled.
I tried near/bilinear/trilinear methods, but it's not even close to it, so i'm thinking about bruteforce method.

Right, but it's for private use. I was hoping for something more specific. A recommendation. The wording was my mistake.

So, to summarize, I should start my installation, Pause it with audit mode during oobe, install the third party software, reboot into (safe mode) to use imagex, and save the archived win to my flash drive. During a reinstallation, I can boot in a persistant linux USB install, move desktop documents and downloads to an archive (folder or separate drive?), fully delete all the files on the windows drive, copy (or dd?) the wim to where windows already was, then return the files from the archive to their original folders, maybe run a virus scan while in linux, shut down, remove drive, reboot?

Is the Ryzen 2 series predicted to drop in price when 3 is released? I'm wondering when the best time to buy a 2600x is

What do you look for to gauge wear and tear on a used SSD?

What amount of read/write or power on hours is a no-go?

>pic is just an example

Attached: 69319_Intel_SSD[1].jpg (688x770, 123K)

I have unlimited data plan for my phone but my carrier doesn't allow it to be tethered from my phone. Anyway to bypass it?

almost.
initial installation, customization and capture;
1. run through setup as normal until it reboots
2. after rebooting, i believe windows 7 starts oobe by asking the computer name, press ctrl+shift+f3, this will cause the machine to reboot and enter audit mode (logs you in as an internal system user)
3. do your normal after-install stuff here, edit the registry, install tools and programs, set associations, whatever
4. run sysprep (easiest way to find it is to simply enter "sysprep" in the run dialog), set it to "OOBE", tick the generalize button, and set it to finish with a shutdown
5. now the machine needs to be captured /before it boots back up/, if you let it boot normally, you will need to do steps 2 and 4 again, since the first things windows does is specialize. boot a linux livecd and run wimcapture to turn the installation into a .wim file (on a flash drive is fine)

to do a "reinstall" using this file;
1. boot a linux livecd
2. mount the volume, and move anything you want to keep into a new folder (such as "c:\tokeep"), and delete everything else, it can be a folder on the same disk, this is the main advantage, not needing to copy everything off then back onto the same disk
3. unmount the volume
4. run wimapply to apply the .wim onto the unmounted volume where c: is

Decided to ask my neighbor today about a job in IT. I have always been technologically inclined but it has never been an avenue I have gone down. I was planning on going back to school and finishing my Psychology bachelors but I have been having second thoughts as to if the debt for such a meme degree is a big dick play or not. I toured his office today, sent him my resume so we will see what happens.

He recommended that I start off my career change by getting a compTIA A+ cert. Where do you guys recommend to study that? When is a good time to figure out if this career is for me or not? I feel very directionless. Im twenty fucking six, shouldnt I know what I want out of life by now?

Attached: 1557867847421.png (500x742, 223K)

Wow. I'm especially impressed by not needing to move everything to a separate disk. My cousin in particular has a massive collection of music; I pretty much told her she had to buy an external to keep her music on if she wanted me to ever do a reinstall again.

This basically knocks my time down to just the write speed of the wim file from a USB 3.1 flashdrive... this is going to save me several hours every time. I can't thank you enough.

I think you misunderstand what I was saying

3.2 gen 2 = 3.1 gen 2 (Literally identical, just a name change)
3.2 gen 2x2 is twice as fast as 3.2 gen 2
3.2 gen 2 is twice as fast as 3.2 gen 1
Gen 2 and Gen 2x2 use the same cable cert, it's the ports that are different.

>shouldn't I know what I want out of life by now?
That's funny, my grandfather said something similar to me just the other day. He's 83.

>When is a good time to figure out if this career is for me or not?
By doing some of the hard work. If it feels like hard work and you can't find a sense of purpose in it, perhaps it isn't for you.

the amount becomes "too much" once you start seeing "reallocated sectors" go above 0, that's the point where it puts on foot in the grave

you know, it's possible to move things out of the way, then install normally using the dvd, just selecting the existing C: partition, without telling it to format, and it will have the same effect
this isn't a property of sysprep or making a custom wim, doing it this way with a custom wim is just so you don't need to bother making a installation iso out of it and run regular setup, when you're already in linux, so it's easier to just extract the wim directly

someone help pls

Seems like interesting work from what my neighbor was showing me. Kinda being a supportive tech dude for the company and making sure people refrain from fucking shit up

Also you don't need to keep track of the 3.2 part. All 3+ standards are called 3.2 now.

First of, I have a legit windows key that I paid for in store but it doesn't work and M$ are a bunch of fags who wont help me.

So I'm using KMSPICO. It was running fine for a while but now I have the build watermark and every now and again I get taken to a windows activation screen.

How do I fix it? Windows 8.1, the normal, not pro version

>you know, it's possible to move things out of the way, then install normally using the dvd, just selecting the existing C: partition, without telling it to format, and it will have the same effect
>this isn't a property of sysprep or making a custom wim, doing it this way with a custom wim is just so you don't need to bother making a installation iso out of it and run regular setup, when you're already in linux, so it's easier to just extract the wim directly
I appreciate the tip, but I was actually kind of hoping to automate the process, which is why I wanted to make sure everything during the installation could run under linux. My initial plan was to boot up a linux OS with a custom script that checked for drive errors, and then gave me a choice between:
1)Doing a full system virus scan
2)Determine the OS version, back up files and folders, rewrite the OS and return the files and folders to their respective locations.
3)Same as 2, but with a shutdown for replacing the drive if the disk check returned errors.

This shit has been eating up every weekend for the last two months. If anyone in my family got an email with a worm in it, I'd die before I got any time to myself again.

Unironically go to the piracy subreddit, it has a guide on windows 10 LTSC. The tool is a bit outdated but it shouldn't be an issue if you read the options. If you only want to activate your current version it also has a guide on that, gotta search a bit though.

KMSpico is depreciated, and wasn't that great to begin with. Just read the first paste in OP. If possible, uninstall KMSpico first.

>it has a guide on windows 10 LTSC
nah windows 10 aint my jam, but ill check it oout

Help is me

yea, you can automate this kind of reinstall in linux, as long as they don't store files in unusual places

I'd be surprised if it didn't have a win8 guide

-- or rather, unpredictable places
if you want to be safer, perhaps move known stuff (like /Users/.*/(Desktop|Documents|Downloads), etc) to a place you'll automatically move back, stuff you know is good to remove (pagefil.sys/hiberfil.sys, windows, program files (sans steamapps folder), etc) can be deleted, and anything left over put somewhere else for you do double check later

Where else would anyone keep anything that wasn't in desktop, downloads or documents?

Or would it be better to move the folders I expect to have files in, and then check the size of the remaining folders to compare to expected folder size?

I always thought it was the go to solution, especially back in the day

>Where else would anyone keep anything that wasn't in desktop, downloads or documents?
you DO backup/restore select appdata folders, right?
man, once i found out you could transfer program settings between installations/computers...

It was popular. But all that really says is that the name was catchier. I think too many people thought MStoolkit was some kind of repair utility made by microsoft.

I have a friend who works in a computer repair shop, but refers to what he does as IT work. why does he do this?

it does have a particularly professional name to it, unlike most crack tools

because he works at a computer repair shop, so he doesn't know any better

Is it possible/worth it to start a career in IT without a degree? I can't afford college right now, and IT is about the only thing that I have some aptitude and interest in.

Is there any point in encrypting drives, if you dont expect v& and not travel a lot with a laptop? Are there any downsides to encryption?

>anything left over put somewhere else for you do double check later
If I wrote it to archive everything (assuming there's space) to OLD_folder, copied in the wim, moved desk, docs, downl back, then renamed OLD_folder to ~OLD_folder, they should have some time to figure out if there's anything else they needed, and I'd be able to retrieve it, but if they started to run out of space, anything with "~" automatically gets deleted in windows, right?

No. I take it I should be? Sometimes I wish I'd just learned to do this professionally instead of being thrown into it because "user fixed his computer, I'm sure he can fix yours!" "Thanks, Mom... I love working weekends for free"

Decryption times. Also, there is absolutely a point in protecting your information. The same way many gun owners buy their weapons without the intention of ever using it, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Better to use your right in the first place than ignore it IMO.

-- you do need to be very selective with other peoples' appdata folders though
for example, you'd save your own browser's folder, but it's probably not as good an idea for other peoples', since they often shit theirs up so bad that it's the reason the machine has gone to shit in the first place
that and normalfags don't tend to fuck with settings much in the first place, so there's not usually as much to really save as far as program settings go
definitely don't save/restore all of it, even if your own machines, just keep what you want (savegames, browser settings, other 3rd party applications which you don't want to reconfigure)

>No. I take it I should be?
well do you like not only reinstalling apps, but configuring them again, too? i sure don't. most modern programs don't store their settings (or nothing really important) in the registry anymore, it's all in appdata (\Users\username\AppData, hidden by default)
in linux, the equivalent is "dotfiles"

if you have the space, yes, it's not a bad idea to just move everything, pull what you need back out, then leave the rest sitting there "just in case"
files beginning with "~" are what windows considers backup files, i haven't heard of windows automatically deleting these

>just keep what you want
Intention is a difficult thing to automate though... lol
I could definitely see gamesaves being something to restore. But for everything else, depending on the age of the install, that could be a lot to sort through.

>files beginning with "~" are what windows considers backup files, i haven't heard of windows automatically deleting these
Huh. I must have had that wrong. Maybe I could just write a bat that deletes folder and itself when available disk space reaches a certain threshold.

>Huh. I must have had that wrong. Maybe I could just write a bat that deletes folder and itself when available disk space reaches a certain threshold.
you might be thinking of windows suggesting to remove "Windows.old" as part of disk cleanup, which can trigger when the disk is near full, this is created when windows is installed on a disk where a windows folder is already present (including a major windows update/upgrade)
i'm unsure if windows will display this option if you manually create such a folder, but it wouldn't hurt to try using that folder name
third party disk cleanup programs are probably likely to pick up such a folder, since they probably just look for the existence of the folder directly then and there

Basically I want to upgrade my pc from my GTX1050ti with a better graphics card that's $250 or less and another 8 gigs of ram so I can have 16gbs. will both of these upgrades, should I expect a leap in performance?

Attached: D9D9mq1WkAAvI4k.jpg (640x360, 32K)

The only real hardware problem would probably by Nvidia. But some distros provide the drivers out of the box. If you are a beginner, stick with the big ones such as Ubuntu, fedora (install rpmfusion), mint or manjaro. Maybe start with KDE or Xfce. Easy to use for a beginner and pretty riceable. Once you get the hang of it look around for window managers. They are the most riceable
It's possible but you are going to start at the bottom. Level 1 support. You can work your way up with experience and getting good certifications in your free time

If you suffer some sort of software failure then recovering the data from an encrypted drive may or may not be much more difficult compared to an unencrypted drive. I mean you can access an unencrypted drive from any OS on any PC, so recovering data is easy as long as there's no hardware failure. If the drive is encrypted instead, then you first have to be able to decrypt it before you can access the data, how that's done and how possible it is will depend on the particular encryption solution you're using.

assuming your cpu can keep up, sure, in games
upgrading the ram alone won't make games run faster, unless you're running out of ram currently and are paging, all that does is lot you turn up some settings, or run games that refuse to work at all due to lack of ram
if you don't have an ssd for your games, then that'd be a more noticeable upgrade than ram (again, if you currently aren't hitting the limit)

buy ram from the same vendor/model

I have a Ryzen 15000x, should I upgrade soon?

the reason most things aren't encrypted by default, is if you forget the key, your data is gone forever
that's really the only risk

Generally speaking upgrading your graphics card will make a big difference. Adding more RAM will not increase performance at all unless you're already suffering from a lack of RAM. As long as you've got enough memory, adding more won't really do anything for performance. More RAM lets you do things which you couldn't do before due to insufficient memory, but does not change use cases where the memory you had was enough anyway.

computer BIOS has a "supervisor password" that prevents changes to the bios
Couldn't you just use the jumper pins to reset the bios and password? WTF even is the point of the password when it's so easily defeated?

Get yourself a ryzen 3600 when it comes out. really great performance at low price

I only have a B350 motherboard though :(

isn't it compatible? check again because im pretyt sure it is

thanks my dude

Does it matter if I install my gayms in Prigramm files on Windows?Should I create a separate folder for eveything?

>you might be thinking of windows suggesting to remove "Windows.old" as part of disk cleanup
I think I was remembering booting into linux to examine a windows install and seeing that deleted files just had the ~tag, but it's been a while, so I'm likely just remembering it wrong. Or it may have just been how the interface is some obscure data recovery software I used once did it.

It might be??? I'm not sure actually, maybe I should wait until July.

But Thanks and God bless you all

You could also take the drive out of the computer, copy shit off and fuck with the bootloader, then put it back in. Unlimited unsupervised access to hardware makes it impossible to guarantee security. What you're protecting against is some asshat walking up with a flashdrive and doing shit.

>You could also take the drive out of the computer, copy shit off and fuck with the bootloader

even with a TPM and full disk encryption? Or would resetting BIOS cause the TPM to prevent the system from booting??

Actually, the way to do it is to just slip a piece of plastic under the top connector that holds the battery in place for a moment. On a long handle, you can even do it on locked cases this way.

What modern browsers are not Chrome or Firefox clones this days?
I guess there is Lynx but what else?

Replaced the near decade old thermal paste with new Arctic Silver 5 on a notebook i just bought. How many on/off cycles until things are running cooler?

Alright. I am trying to fix my cuckbox still. something is wrong with efi when I tried to install windows 7, it threw a fit. the set up posts an error. I am trying to purge the efi partition to remake it using the set up. if anyone knows how to do it, let me know, since override seems to do fuck all in diskpart.

Give us the play by play. I feel like this is something dumb that you've managed to complicate.

Better and cheaper paste exists this days you know.
Arctic MX-4 being a example.
Replacing new paste will barely make any difference, only when you replace old paste will make a huge difference.
If you did it correctly just stop checking the temperatures as long its not overheating.

veracrypt.fr/en/FAQ.html

I've just got AS 5 and Arctic Alumina laying around. Both require hot and cold states in order to set. I'm not yet at the point where I want to spend money on thermal grizzly.

I'll try to abide your advice about not watching the temps though.

If the previous paste was nicely spread and enough paste left then to change makes basically no difference. Unless it wasnt real thermal paste in the first place. Minor/unnoticeable difference between thermal pastes. Mostly marketing. Remember to have put enough too little is bad for thermals. Way too much is when it overflows. There is optimal dose but diminishing returns do not worth extra effort.
You should check if the fan's bearings have oil or the fan isnt damaged. Friction is bad.

I pulled the fan and blew it out with compressed air. I'm also using tpfancontrol to keep it cranked.

The original thermal paste was old enough to crumble. And I'm pretty good about applying the new stuff. It made a small difference but not what I had anticipated. That's why I'm asking about the hot/cold cycle I've read about.

Any help guys? It’s always appreciated

if i git gud with just powershell am i employable?

It's good for keeping sensitive information safe if your drive is stolen, sold, RMA'd, ... Often times there's no safe and reliable way to wipe drives.

Encryption doesn't protect YOU against v&, but it may protect parties associated with you. LE can just hold you as if you were guilty until you divulge the keys in most every country.

How do you find the point from a radius on the edge of a sphere given x,y and z angles of the radius?

>x,y and z angles
You sure you mean angles and not coordinates?

This is not a Jow Forums question.
Try math logistic problems /mlp/

what to put here?

Attached: 4 chan x.png (900x241, 5K)

Can I use a 12V 1.5A power supply to power something that requires 5V 1A?

the sticky answered my question, thank you

My mom quite literally just watches youtube videos and looks up pictures for work

Should I unironically just buy her a mac? Shes very paranoid about being spied on but specifically said "FUCK linux"

Attached: 1558399460508.jpg (705x696, 27K)