Why is datamining considered a bad thing if it ultimately helps improve products and services? I mean...

Why is datamining considered a bad thing if it ultimately helps improve products and services? I mean, most of what we know as humans is from collecting and sharing data with other humans.
And the whole point of targeted advertisement is to expose you to things that would interest you so you don't have to deal with a bunch of random shit you don't want to see.
Is it the fear that your data will somehow be used maliciously?

Attached: 1539797237867.jpg (1536x1908, 403K)

fuck off and kill yourself, whoreposting glow-in-the-dark.

Because nord is suppose to be logless and not datamine

STFU Mark!

People are concerned that data is being properly anonymized and controlled.
And for good reason, considering how much data is being lost and sold by big corporations.

more data is always better why not silently install microphones into customers takeout boxes and plastic bottles

>And the whole point of targeted advertisement is to expose you to things that would interest you so you don't have to deal with a bunch of random shit you don't want to see.
I don't want to see any advertising. If I'm looking to buy something, I'll search it out. Bombarding me with product advertisements won't make me buy anything.

Then send me a survey instead of spying on me 24/7.

Did you know that doctors will share your data with other doctors and companies?

>datamining == technical report

Because you will get what a huge portion of people wants and the people are stupid tasteless fags that only like shit.

Fpbp

>Why is datamining considered a bad thing if it ultimately helps improve products and services?
my definition of an improved product or service is not the same thing as the company's idea of an improved product or service. In fact they're just about opposites.

I do not want to be constantly pestered to buy something.
If my data was collected and used to compile a catalog that I could browse at my own leisure full of things that might interest me, that wold be great. I'd probably use it every day.
Instead I am shown, roughly every 15 seconds, a stupid advertisement for some worthless shit I couldn't care less about, often the same stupid advertisement multiple times in a row.
It's not useful, it's annoying.

Have you ever used the traffic view feature on Google Maps?

/thread
move on.

Your fallacy is to think that people dont consider some subsets of datamining to be a good thing.

>if it ultimately helps improve products and services
It won't.
>your data will somehow be used maliciously
It will. Even if the company collecting it doesn't, it will inevitably leak to someone that does.

>collects and collates data on you thru your webclient
>could literally use it to improve your life - give you access to things you need, help you connect with others, gain independence, become part of communities
>uses it to sell shit to you that you don't really want or need.

I'd say they got it in 1.

Look at the correlation of increased sales of a product when it's promoted by a bikini wearing infuencer...

Attached: bindi-irwin-1230426.jpg (1080x915, 179K)

>Why is datamining considered a bad thing if it ultimately helps improve products and services?
It doesn't

Idk all of my apps have about 50-100k monthly users (total) and track user eye movement, click locations, photos, contacts, etc. I don't even use the data but I assume it'll be worth it if I ever go further down the rabbit hole.

>if it ultimately helps improve products and services?
I would question if it necessarily improves the products and services. It's primarily about maximizing the profits, which doesn't have to correlate with the former.

Pretty much.
>mom gave me her old mixer some years ago because she didn't like that it didn't look modern
>it's still working while she's on her 2nd or 3rd new one
That shit isn't exactly complicated, they could still build them to last if they wanted to. They just don't want to because their aim is to get as much money as possible from their customers, while my goal is to give them the least amount of money possible.
You have to be pretty naive to think that your goals and those of companies align in any way.

>If my data was collected and used to compile a catalog that I could browse at my own leisure full of things that might interest me, that wold be great.
This.
As long as I can do it at my leisure, I would welcome some catalog that already pre-selected for shit I might like. If you are trying to force it down my throat you can fuck off though.

sums it up pretty well. the data does have the potential to improve shit a lot, the problem is that the company's interest is not to improve things but to make more profit. manipulating someone into spending more money than they would have without said manipulation is a malicious use of the data, and that's the primary goal of datamining done by companies.

with governments it is obviously even worse because at least the company is only after your money.

>Even if the company collecting it doesn't, it will inevitably leak to someone that does.
This.

Any Auscunts in here who didn't opt out of the My Health thing should bear this in mind.

>with governments it is obviously even worse because at least the company is only after your money.

No system is completely secure and do you really want you boss to be able to find out that that long weekend you took off last month was to get a canker burnt off your knob end from fucking those ladyboys on that holiday you had last year?

Attached: Seatbelt cover.jpg (940x705, 114K)

I didn't mean to imply that data can't be stolen. Just that (almost) every kind of datamining is bound to end up with shitty results, with some of them being worse immediately while others take some time to reach the same amount of negative consequences.

>I didn't mean to imply that data can't be stolen.
Neither was I - I completely agree.

>every kind of datamining is bound to end up with shitty results,
A perfect example would be 23&me selling your dna data to insurance companies...

Fuck I used to love those virtue signalling Jow Forums thread where some idiot was crowing about being 5% wh!Te - used to make me chuckle heartily.

Attached: sex_is_zero_2002.jpg (1280x682, 115K)

wew

Attached: BvKXj8-FTnE.jpg (1080x1000, 78K)

God it hurts, I want a gf so bad

Irishka Gurskaya

Based.

i like being exposed to things I don't know yet/don't like/don't dislike/3.6 roetgen

Are you good enough for that user?

spotted the cia nigger

>why is spyware considered malware if it ultimately depends on what the developer will do with your private information?
Any breach of privacy is bad.

Any form of mass data control gives you the power to shift perceptions and narratives of social, economic, or political factors in your favor. All information is power.

can someone explain the glow meme to me

glow niggers

explain

One of my problems is that targeted ads does 't work because im not their target audience.
I would rather see NEW and random stuff, instead of being bombarded with stuff ive already looked for.
Best aternative is no ads.
It also sucks not knowing where information thats practically your google searches end up

sorry reddit you have to be 18+ to browse this site

lurk more

I've been here for more than 12 years now tell me what it refers to and why they "glow". I know its intelligence services/big brother etc

Why is datamining considered a bad thing if it ultimately helps improve products and services?
It helps improve advertising services, and not much else.

>I mean, most of what we know as humans is from collecting and sharing data with other humans.
Yes, from talking to people and having conversations and collaborating with them, not spying on them and trying to guess.

>And the whole point of targeted advertisement is to expose you to things that would interest you so you don't have to deal with a bunch of random shit you don't want to see.
No, the whole point of targeted advertising is to make more profit for datamining companies. Even with it, you still have to see random shit you don't want to see. To put it more directly, targeted advertising does not solve the core problem with advertising, which is that by design, the advertiser can't know what people are going to want ahead of time, so there will always be a significant portion of users that are not interested but will be forced to look at the ad anyway.

>Is it the fear that your data will somehow be used maliciously?
It's currently safe to assume that any data will be used against you maliciously.

You mean you are 12 years old and now visit Jow Forums for summer?

These guys have NO idea what it means, I'm lmao right now

>haha I'm not going to tell you what it means, return to reddit lol *furiously googles glow niggers*

TAD
Now go lurk moar

Looking for new ways for how to package digital betrayal, eh? Finding out which arguments don't work anymore, what hasn't been tried in washing even more brains, eh?

basically Users grasp the idea that posting on social media is a public thing. It's like getting on stage and shouting to everyone in the room... It's not private.

But, Facebook is invading privacy in subtle ways that users aren't so good at grasping. Like the fact that Facebook remembers every website they visit. And how long you linger on a post in your timeline. And collects your location data even when you're not trying to broadcast it. And analyzes all of your private messages. And trains neural networks to recognize you so they can correlate you with other pictures throughout the internet (and who knows, maybe they're sharing those models with random governments or other companies).

That stuff is the real privacy violation, not the public posts. And that stuff is intentionally obscured from the users and vaguely articulated in their privacy policy.

>i post an asian girl holding a phont and my thread was about smartphones
>gets deleted almost instantly and i got warned

>idiot post this and it still up

>Consult Terry oldfag

Because white is right