PLC programming

Any of you Jow Forumsuys are PLC programmers?
Started a Siemens course from my company, is it well paid? Do you get stressed out, how does it compare to other programming jobs?

From what I've seen I would love to do it because its not a söylent job.

Attached: IMG_20190613_150403 - Copy.jpg (1250x938, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

plcforum.uz.ua/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island
new.siemens.com/global/en/products/automation/systems/industrial/simatic-field-pg.html
aliexpress.com/item/PLC-S7-200/32963330061.html
aliexpress.com/item/PLC-programming-Cable/32837282011.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump for mutual interest

Ask me in 2 years after I finish up my mechatronics engineering degree.

I program industrial systems for a living (plc, scada, robots, vision systems, pc programs, whatever).
It's rather well paid if you're good at it. It's stressful because not only do you need to meet deadlines, you also need the programs to be bullet proof. Something wrongly coded can mean a death or millions of euros/currency your client loses when the machine stops.

From my experience the people working in the area don't give a shit about muh racism, muh quotas, muh micro aggressions. If you're good or always learning and improving, everyone respects you. If you're not, you're cast aside by your peers. For example, one of my coworkers is an african and he's REALLY good in this field. We still jokingly talk about his supposed mile long penis though.

Are you a perfectionist? You're going places. You're not? Sooner or later one of your machines will behave badly because of a bug and everyone will think you're an utter retard.

AMA

The guys you search are at /diy/

>söylent job.
wtf does that even mean. speak some fucking english

Meanwell in an industrial environment?

Cheapskates detected.

what degree do you need for that ?
what is your current job.

Fuck off CIA i won't help you build stuxnet 2

it's difficult to get a job in this field...

How easy is it to find a job?
Do you work long term for a company or get paid based on a contract?
And whats the pay range based on experience?

It's easy if you're knowledgeable.
There are two types of workers on the field. The ones that stay with a company and freelancers who work for a project or two and then change companies. I'm the former, I don't have the patience to deal with new people every few months.
The pay range depends on the country of course.

I'm a self taught plc guy
Qualified Industrial electricians and did the PLC as an interest thing.

I own a machinery sales business and I still do a lot of hands on programming work.
It's a tough field because nobody is willing to pay for good work.
Electricians can't think logically enough to program
Programmers can't understand Machinery and real world. Io

I span both and have designed a number of products and features I sell.
That's the trick turning a service into a product.

I have good experience on: omron, Siemens, Allen Bradley, Mitsubishi, codesys, rexroth and probably a heap more.

You can get codesys for the raspberry pi if you seriously want to play.
And ladder logic is the only way to go if you have to fault find onsite.

You can get old S7 200 clones from aliexpress for cheap.

Downside is that Step 7 Microwin works best in a VM running WIndows XP.

While you can install the program itself to run on modern version of windows, the actual drivers to communicate to the PLC don't really work.

So the best option currently is a VM running WIndows XP 32bit.

You can also get Mitsubushi clones, but the PLC programming software for those are not really beginner friendly.

In Step 7 microwin you fill out boxes, in GX Developer you need to actually know the commands and the syntax can be a bitch.

I also found the examples in the Step 7 Microwin manual to be more helpful, than those in Tia Portal (Modern Siemens PLCs, S7 1200 being the recommended replacement for S7 200 according to Siemens.)

AliExpress has.the fx really cheap, I have all the software. There's a Russian form where you can download all plc software from.

There are also S7 200 ones for around 50us

Nearly forgot.

Get your free stuxnet here
plcforum.uz.ua/

>-100k1

hello there fellow Jow Forumser fag
im 1/2 year into my retraining
hardest part is getting a grip on the chaotic shitpile of exel sheets used for DB allocation, i guess that's not everywhere
depending on your company and country you dont require a degree to start out.

Wanted to pick this up but my hatred for Siemens burns so bright nowadays I rather learn something else.

Mitsubishi also have PLCs, the same company that ran a coal mine on an Island with Chinese slaves.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island

why dont they just call it embedded development
how does this differ from any other programming.

it doesnt even have to be embedded since the machines dont go anywhere. sounds like a meme.

Call it programming. Then you tell your "programmer" to leave his office and go to the greasy machine to do his work and he breaks down in tears.

>programming
>going to a factory and diagnose a problem while getting yourself dirty ad fuck, while you can't even stop the damned machine amd ypu have everyone shouting at you because they just lost 4782929 million dollars
Eheheh

Sounds comfy.

Tia portal is so shitty, that Siemens actually offer your a laptop with the software pre installed.

So that you don't have to deal with its garbage on your main PC.

new.siemens.com/global/en/products/automation/systems/industrial/simatic-field-pg.html

they 've been doing this pre tia too
current itteration looks like g the notebook

Mitsubishi GX Developer is the most unintuitive software I ever worked with.

Maybe we should call it programming for men.

Going from Step7 to TIA really was going from an old Ferrari to a new Jaguar. From fast and simple as fuck to a bloated piece of shit that keeps breaking down.

Anyway, programming PLCs ONLY will get you nowhere. You must be knowledgeable on a variety of PLC ecosystems, program applications on the side using C++, C#, Java or whatever, program robots (again, a bunch of different ecosystems), program SCADA programs (I have a love/hate relashionship with them). Knowing electronics is also a big plus, and designing circuits is a necessity. Mechanical engineering knowledge is necessary too.

And vision systems.
I hate those, god fucking damnit.

Designing circuits or building them? There's quite a difference between somebody who can build a circuit from a design that's been given to him and someone who can design a circuit from scratch. I could do the former but I would have a lot of issues with design.

are we talking pcbs or panels here
anyone with a few years of electric background should be able to do panel circuits form scratch

Designing. For every machine that's mechanically designed in the company I work for is assigned to me, I'm supposed to design its complete circuit. There's a shitload of stuff that you can just buy and assemble like LEGOs, but sometimes you have to get creative and go to the level of designing a board with ICs and things like that.
Building/assembling the circuitry is rather easy, the electrician just needs to have a lot of patience and good memory. Excellent electricians can also identify any error I may have made designing the circuit, or warn me if something ends up being difficult to assemble physically (which can happen sometimes) and give me good alternatives or at least discuss alternatives with me.

Text related.

mecha infantry when

Attached: hawken-scifi-futuristic-pictures-widescreen-online-tumblr-mecha-shooter-abstract-wallpapers-mech-rob (1600x955, 192K)

interesting.
Our customers stopped accepting Homebrew since the 90s due to spare availability and liability.

It's rare, but sometimes you just have to do something over the tops that's not available anywhere for you to buy.

One example. We retrofit big CNC machines from Hyundai and Fanuc for the european market. That requires a lot of stuff designed in house because the CNC's circuitry is 80% custom.

Do you mean this one?

aliexpress.com/item/PLC-S7-200/32963330061.html

I suppose you need a programming cable like this aliexpress.com/item/PLC-programming-Cable/32837282011.html and then you're off?

Yeah.

>2 byte relay card >$80
even the chinks are jewing us

Chink ingenuity always surprise me.

A Mitsubishi clone in a Siemens case.

Attached: Uten navn.jpg (1208x700, 150K)