Is this good bang for buck?

Attached: Capture.jpg (2470x1171, 246K)

Mod the case to fit atx and you're good to go.

>office 2004
Lul

Can it even playback Blu-ray videos without exploding?

dude, i used to have 400Mhz G3 single core and I thought it was fast back then (2000-2002). I'm pretty sure a dual core with more than 4 times the single core speed would be fast af.

Only if it's the early 2005.
If it's a Niagara (2004), then no.

>destroy a RISC workstation
Fuck you

what makes the 2005 one so much better?

Pic related has a slightly higher power output and is much more quiet.

Attached: rariator.jpg (365x365, 109K)

PCIe and a motherboard that won't randomly die out of the blue

Nope. I got a dual 2.3GHz for $45 AUD less. Only difference was mine came without a HDD.

is its cpu faster than a modern phone?

Not really. IBM had tapped out by that time in the Power CPU department. The case alone is worth a buck fifteen tho.

Nope. Can't even play a 1080p mp4 fluently.

it probably could if you changed the video player config to use both cpus

>pretty sure
I'm pretty sure that your old g3, and the dual CPU g5 couldn't really handle bluray playback.

yes. but install a system that respects your freedom, such as trisquel or gnu guix. Old macs are well compatible with free software

>Can't even play mp4 fluently
My dual 1.33 G4 MDD could play 1080p h.264 just fine, and a G5 quad can even handle 4K playback decently. A dual 2.0 G5 will have no issues with mp4.

maybe if you're a collector of old tech.

Yes.
Use it to start a YouTube Channel and Patreon and become Druaga2.0

kek'd

My rpi3 can handle 1080p, but I'd have to use an orange pi if I want 4k.

>My rpi3 can handle 1080p
Using dedicated decoding hardware in the GPU. A dual 2GHz G5 destroys any Pi in terms of raw CPU performance.

OP, if you have the cash to throw, its an interesting system, but definitely not usable for work usage
I spent a long ass time trying different configurations for my G5 quad. Even a $500 Dell OEM workstation is orders of magnitude more performant. The G5s are also extremely loud, even when not under load, and are space heaters.
The design is beautiful, you can put Tiger on it and use Classic mode to play games. That's the best use case for it.

Attached: 1559562735822.png (7680x4320, 2.91M)

did you try gentoo or similar? modern OS's would probably have better multi-threading support than PPC OS X.

yes, Gentoo, Debian, OpenBSD. None felt particularly quicker than OS X 10.5.8. Additionally, in the case of OpenBSD and Debian, you need to build most things from source which is a slog on the G5.
10.5.8 is actually very usable with Leopard WebKit as a browser.

dude """"multithreading"" has been around since the dawn of computing, it's only consumer shit os that has to catch up to where unix was decades and decades ago

most people didn't put threads in their software though and you can't get new software for PPC unless you use gentoo or similar

>thinking anything but performance per watt matters
Oh (You)

what if i have a solar farm on my roof

>Gentoo
That's odd.
Gentoo literally flies on my G4 Cube, but maybe I just optimized it too well.

lol

I picked both of my G5's up for under $50.

If you want to play that game then my recently bought CPU+10 series GPU completely fucking obliterates your shitty g5 in everything.

Then you shouldn't waste all that electricity on a g5.

what if i'm not connected to the grid

What about fitting one of those newer POWER ATX mobos though? Talos, I believe?

welp, ask yourself if you stumbled across it in a pawn shop for that price would you buy it

More reason to not waste electricity on a shitty g5 you dumb fuck.

i'd be wasting electricity by not using a g5 in that situation

You'd be saving electricity if you used a modern computer at that point.

No offense, but are you by any chance mentally retarded?

It's LITERALLY junk. One of the worst mass-produced macs from a practical point of view.
The water cooler is 100% empty so it will run at 100 degrees Celsius for some time with roaring fans, and then die.

Any core duo shittop is twice as powerful as that thing.

>pentium 4 is a horrible meme
>G5 is seen as GOAT
fucking zoomers

where do you think electricity goes when you have a solar farm that isn't connected to the grid?

>getting useless space heater
At least get one of those bitcoin miner radiators if you like heat so much

>water cooler is 100% empty
wut

How many generators, solar panels, and batteries do you have for this hypothetical solar farm user, and why are you wasting electricity on a g5 in 2019?

Google it, the water coolers all leaked soon after manufacturing. It's pretty much guaranteed that leftover marks of cooling fluid are on the bottom of a G5 mac

‘Best bang for your buck’ really depends on your use case. As someone that owns a g5 the only use case for it is to downgrade to tiger and use it as a retro gaming comp. and I only paid 50 burger bucks for mine at a pawn shop

or u could just leave it alone u fuckin braindead tranny

Only the high end quads used water cooling. Everything else was air cooled

So that's what happened to my dad's old G5 a few years after my grandpa gave it to him.

>destroy
Just put the original parts back in you dumb nigger

this thing looks kinda gay tho

>dumb nigger
Language friend. Ideas can be dumb, but please don't call people dumb.

dumb ideas have to come from somewhere and some people are an endless supply of them.

a regular case is way cheaper, converting these to ATX is costs 70 bucks in materials unless you have access to the work space to make everything yourself.

>ABLOO BLOO BLOO MUH FRUIT TOYS
No one cares manchild.

Attached: 1539352113003.webm (960x540, 2.16M)

I have an old mac pro here and am still looking for ideas on what to do with it. Same situation pretty much.

Attacking the nigger istead of the nigger's dumb ideas are not constructive.
The nigger will never learn why it's idea was dumb in the first place.

Put it in the trash where it belongs.

well, it seems that you have no idea about computers
you should study computer science

holy fucking cope

its just a rust collector now, was thinking of stuffing it with some cluster of cheap ARM boards but the cloud is cheaper, seems that no matter even if I want to do things locally it is cheaper to not use this case.

I wouldn't gut a working machine like that in the OP.
In fact I'd rather just get the similar case of the later Intel model since I'm pretty sure the front panel is more usable.
I like that cluster idea, regardless of efficiency. Or maybe a NAS, it's a big case, after all.

So turn it into a house for my build farm?