Linux is shit

>Put the ssd in a different sata port
>Linux won't be able to boot
>Downloaded Manjaro and put it on usb to fix it
>Grub unknown filesystem error when booting it
>Spend an hour trying to fix it, checking sha of the image, which is correct, and using differnt usb writer
>Decided to write Ubuntu
>Now it works

So are you gonna tell me this is ok?

Attached: linux-programmers-15720.jpg (506x434, 22K)

yes because i am not some stupid normalfag who has other things to do i was born to work with Arch

>Open Code

Sounds like you have multiple drives and were assigning mount points based their names in /dev instead of fs labels or UUIDs. In other words, you fucked up, not Linux.

I don't know what usb writers you were using but dd works every time for every Linux ISO I've ever tried. Linux can't be blamed for it inconsistency of random closed source chinkware.

>>Put the ssd in a different sata port
>>Linux won't be able to boot

Imagine not knowing how to use UUIDs in fstab. Yikes.

>>Put the ssd in a different sata port
>>Linux won't be able to boot
if you used uuid this wouldnt have happened
or if you used any boot system other than grub, systemdboot for example which is easy as all hell to use

How did he fuck up? What kind of arcane bullshit are you talking about?

nice

work according to Jow Forums = ricing and fixing trivial shit 6 hours a day, shitpost on intel vs amd / apple vs android / distro vs distro 2-3 hours a day or more

>How did he fuck up? What kind of arcane bullshit are you talking about?
he literally just explained what he did wrong, you made improper mount points, google that if you don't know what that means, stop acting stupid ffs
> im only ACTING STUPID HURRRRR

>Downloaded Manjaro and put it on usb to fix it
>Spend an hour trying to fix it, checking sha of the image, which is correct, and using differnt usb writer
>Decided to write Ubuntu
>Now it works

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Could it be a problem with Manjaro? I tried with Deepin Boot Maker and Unetbootin. Other iso's I tried (Opensuse, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, MX Linux) all worked flawlessly.

> people thinks that they should bend to stupid software and not the other way around

the irony is that you are the reason why it will never be desktop viable over osx or other more polished unix-based OS (windows 10 will be one of them soon)

I'm so fucking tired of these threads. we get 3 or more of them every single day. shut the fuck up you fucking idiot and solve the problem yourself instead of going on Jow Forums and being angry about your lack of intelligence. stop posting
it's because calamares is a shit installer and it always fails

Maybe you should stop using archaic shit like grub when systemd-boot exists. You should also always use labels or UUIDs instead of /dev/sd* you fucking nigger.

Check my simple systemd-boot entry as example:

title Arch Linux - ck
linux /vmlinuz-linux-ck-sandybridge
initrd /intel-ucode.img
initrd /initramfs-linux-ck-sandybridge.img
options root=LABEL=archroot rw audit=0 mitigations=off

poo

in linux all drives are listed in /dev/, but these names are generated dynamically at boot time, so they change if you change the order of or number of drives. Linux keeps it's file system information in a text file, /etc/fstab. This is where you add, remove, information about what drives you want to mount and what options you want to use. When you assign drives to mount points you can call the drive by one of several names, it's name in /dev/, it's file system label, or its UUID. it's never recommended to call it by it's /dev/ name because it can change if the hardware configuration changes, that was OPs mistake.

dd is a command in *nix systems do directly copy data from file, filesystem, or block device to another. for example copying an iso to a usb is "dd if=/path/to/linux.iso of=/dev/[drive name]".

That’s what you get for using arch faggot. The manjaro installer doesn’t add UUID to fstab because the devs are retards.

Linux fags don't understand that OS is supposed to run smootly and provide everyting needed for work without waisting your time.

>LINUX IS FREE ONLY WHEN YOUR TIME IS WORTHLESS

/thread

can we make this the title of Jow Forums ?

one in 5 posts on Jow Forums is "abloo bloo bloo linux a shit"
have sex, seek help and most importantly, poo in the loo

Fuck you retards if you can't do a simple,thing go back to /v

Use mkfstab to do automatically

When you try to drive nails with the handle of a hammer, it might work some times, but it's retarded. When you assign mounts based on dev names, it might work sometimes, but it's retarded. Complaining when these approaches aren't as effective or foolproof as the intended use of the tools is even more retarded.

>Use mkfstab to do automatically
THANKS BRO :DDDDDDD

>When you assign mounts based on dev names, it might work sometimes, but it's retarded
yes that's exactly what OP did, right? poo on your hand and slap urself pajeet, you have hallucinations

see>Decided to write Ubuntu
>Now it works

Linux will only waste your time if you mess around with meme distros.

I know. But still it should check other partitions and suggest loading from it if there is an error. Is this so hard to implement?

Should I change this part with uuid?

Attached: 2019-06-18_00-19.png (909x355, 62K)

Most distros will drop you to a single user shell on failures like that, allowing you to fix any problems, mount and drives, or do what ever needs doing to get your system to a boot-able state.

thanks distros for giving me the opportunity of wasting time on trivial shit

yes, but makes sure you put UUID= there. so "root=UUID=[the uuid]"

Or if you're a retarded zoomer

>2019
>Using old-ass gay /etc/fstab instead of writing the appropriate partition GUID into the partition table and let systemd handle the mounting at boot

/etc/fstab on the computer I'm typing this from right now:

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

#

Based Poettering did it again. It just werkz.

Based

>gleefully gagging on systemDick
no thanks, I'll stick to a system that doesn't have a critical security flaw or system breaking bug every 6 weeks that takes 8 months before pottering even admits it's a bug.

I'm in full-systemd/Linux mode. I also let systemd auto-manage my swap file with systemd-swapd and removed dnsmasq in favor of systemd-resolvd. There's a fucking systemd daemon for anything lel.

wow the systemd cucks in this thread...it's sad. I can't even belive someone is unironically using systemd-boot

Free as in freedom retard.

git gud.

Attached: photo.jpg.png (395x395, 37K)

>systemd/Linux
Pardon me but I must interject for a moment: please refer to the operating system by systemd/gnu/Linux, the latter two being parts of systemd.

>Open code

The systemd-boot config files are objectively way more simple and clean. Grub is a fucking mess.

How do I do that?

>Didn't install grub correctly
>Somehow this is Linux's fault
Linux is kernel. Maybe you mean grub.

With gdisk, like this:

# gdisk /dev/sda
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.4

Partition table scan:
MBR: protective
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): i
Partition number (1-2): 2
Partition GUID code: 4F68BCE3-E8CD-4DB1-96E7-FBCAF984B709 (Linux x86-64 root (/))
Partition unique GUID: 1DC0D472-933B-41A8-BCA1-72EE9E0692C8
First sector: 1050624 (at 513.0 MiB)
Last sector: 234440703 (at 111.8 GiB)
Partition size: 233390080 sectors (111.3 GiB)
Attribute flags: 0000000000000000
Partition name: 'archroot'

Command (? for help): t
Partition number (1-2): 2
Current type is 'Linux x86-64 root (/)'
Hex code or GUID (L to show codes, Enter = 8300): L
Type search string, or to show all codes: root
7f01 ChromeOS root 8303 Linux x86 root (/) 8304 Linux x86-64 root (/
8305 Linux ARM64 root (/) 8307 Linux ARM32 root (/) bf00 Solaris root

Hex code or GUID (L to show codes, Enter = 8300): 8304
Changed type of partition to 'Linux x86-64 root (/)'

Command (? for help): w

Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING
PARTITIONS!!

Do you want to proceed? (Y/N): Y
OK; writing new GUID partition table (GPT) to /dev/sda.
Warning: The kernel is still using the old partition table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot or after you
run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8)
The operation has completed successfully.

Do the same for your EFI partition, only with the appropriate hex var for EFI partitions.

which is why you use lilo

You are not really smart, aren't you? Be honest.

Funny you say that, because every time I've had to use Windows it tended to waste my time far more than GNU/Linux ever did.

>the computer should be able to know what I want without being told
You should know to stop posting without being told.

Only one in 5? That seems low

>Lesbian
>freedom
MX lets you chose your init

Attached: mx.png (200x200, 5K)

go back to distrowatch faggot

>Actual Woman
>Technology
Pick one

0.50$ has been deposited, keep up the good work!

>Put the ssd in a different sata port
>Linux won't be able to boot

That's a bios issue sonnie.
Maybe you should enable the other sata ports or change your boot config.

I can literally swap my drive to any sata port and into any computer and as long as it's 64-bit with Sata:AHCI instead of Sata:IDE mode it'll run.

Why use GRUB? Just install a EFI stub when it asks.
This boots the kernel directly.

>manjaro
Found your problem, user. Stop using shitty alternate distros to the real ones and just install Arch you pussy.

>program in Linux

It was your fstab and could easily be fixed. Sounds like ubuntu is a good fit for you.

holy shit you're so retarded you shouldn't even be allowed to post here.
>fucks up boot
>blames on kernel

>I'm a tech illiterate retard and that's the fault of Linux
I could have fixed that in 2 minutes flat, the problem was so trivial. Consider killing yourself back to windows or get a mac, they are designed for sub 40 iq mouthbreathers like you.

>try to go with manjaro Linus-tech-tips "Oh Manjaro + PopOS is sooo good for steam games" try it out
>Steam wont even launch in Manjaro from the dang pacman thing
>Ubuntu installed
>everything works, playing warframe, Overwatch, Lutris works, steam works, emulators works, everyyy-thing works. WTF
yeah thats normal, Jow Forums didn't tell me to use ubuntu but i figured it out too

I'm fucking done with this place. I'm moving to another chan

How do i program in linnugs?

>Choose Arch Linux
>Brag about the Arch Linux philosophy
That's stupid like
>Eat at McDonald's
>Brag about only fast food there

>my OS can do less than yours, therefore I have an higher intelligence than you

That is insanely more complicated than fstab.

>Arcane
Fstab is powered by magic

>muh games

Grow the fuck up.

>because adults cant have fun
grow the fuck up and quit being a faggot who gets upset that someone wont use their favorite operating system

You have to update the /etc/fstab file
Use sudo blkid to see the mounted drives and then export that to /etc/fstab

>can't grub.
>blames kernel

Attached: 1519496975369.jpg (1440x1380, 387K)

>Summer is here

grub's config files are only a mess when generated by the overengineered grub-mkconfig

>not downloading Ubuntu in the first place
You fell for what Jow Forums told you to do, didn't you.

like in windows but less retarded

>fake news
>Is crap with computers
>blames Linux

This happens on windows too fag. It is fucking gay.

>switch sata port
>live boot
>mount your fs
>chroot
>generate new fstab
>reboot
Wow that was hard