/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkpad.jpg (3024x3292, 2.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/VogDjfg.jpg
github.com/b-ggs/x220-hackintosh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for win10 runs perfect on the X220

I wish I could afford a T480

does this even count? how can you get any work done without fingering a robot nipple?

How easy is it to replace a monitor if I'm a literal retard?

That was what the 300 was like. Image is just a photoshopped 300 for fun.

Was given a brand new W540 because it was out of warranty. Was kept on the shelf as a spare. Apparently it had a bad display out of the box.

i7 4800mq
32GB RAM
500GB SSD
3K LCD
K1100 2GB

LCD is $129 for a new OEM panel.

They're not great. We have them at work.

I'm not done yet, I can't stop

Attached: IMG_20190617_235720.jpg (3120x4160, 2.58M)

X220 cutest macbook
Cute stickies/ patches :3

Attached: IMG_20190615_194110_compress74.jpg (4640x3480, 1.53M)

I like it! Where are you getting your patches?

>They're not great. We have them at work.
Different user, but whats so bad about it?
I was thinking of buying a recent business laptop to replace Dell Inspiron for about $500-$800.

Attached: 1553888416119.jpg (685x638, 60K)

T450s gang rise up

Attached: IMG_0557.jpg (4032x3024, 777K)

Writing this from my new (to me) ThinkPad T430 with HD+ screen, i5-3320M, 4GB of RAM , 120GB SSD and the chicklet keyboard. Thank you all in /tpg/ for all the good advice you have given me the past week!

I must say that the 900p screen is less horrible than I thought it would be and I really like the chicklet keyboard because it's so silent. I won't write books on it so I don't really care about the feedback the keys give.

I've just ordered a backlit US keyboard because I really like backlit keyboards and can't type properly on this swiss keyboard layout that's now in the T430, ordered 8GB 1600 ram (so I'll have 12GB in total, enough for me), the HDD cover that is unfortunately missing on my T430 and a simple sleeve.

Must say that (besides the missing cover) this thing really does look like new. Nowhere a scratch, weird or shiny spots, the trackpoint looks new and it works for up to 4 hours on a single battery charge (browsing/youtube). Came with a 90w adapter btw, so that's nice too.

Pic related; My T430, pic made using my crappy photo skills and phone camera

Attached: T430.jpg (3000x3000, 2.11M)

Needs more stickies

Attached: IMG_20190609_111147.jpg (2160x3840, 955K)

I guess I should clarify a bit. They're not great compared to what I'm used to (T43p / T61p / X61T / even the W540)

These have USB type C docks and the docks blink out from time to time. The keyboards also just feel, I don't know, weird I guess.

The T480's aren't terrible, and I'd choose them over a lot of other options, but I like my Dell's better, which is kind of sad.

thoughts on T495?

Which version of macOS runs well on X220?

I like more minimal stickers on my T450s. If I had another ThinkPad (and I really might buy one -- I love them so much) I'll load it up

You mean the thinkpad display screen? Not hard at all if you watch some guide on youtube.

One more with self-made 1600*900 wallpaper :)
i.imgur.com/VogDjfg.jpg

It's silly how happy I am with this thing.

Attached: T430_wallpaper.jpg (3000x3000, 1.92M)

Switch to Firefox or a fork and this would be based.

Holy fuck kill yourself you subhuman

Why? I just ordered 8GB more ram so I can open a second tab in chrome. ;)

high sierra is the most supported but i'm running mojave with no issues github.com/b-ggs/x220-hackintosh

Attached: 74329557_p0.jpg (1158x1600, 1.07M)

>It's silly how happy I am with this thing.
This is exactly how I feel with mine. I don't know why but I have an addiction to mine. I run Windows 10/POObuntu (pls no bully) and it's honestly such a great computer that I don't even want to use my desktop half the time.

Jesus Christ. Do you ever go outside or have actual (no virtual) irl friends?

Attached: 1CYWvnX[1].jpg (640x640, 88K)

But for real, Chrome is fine, just get your ass cheeks ready for that Manifest V3

I my case it's probably because I'm a poorfag and had to save up money for a long long time until I could buy one in this slav country where everything that has Think****** printed on it is priced like it was made of pure gold. And now I got the T430 I wanted and am very lucky to have found a T430 that is in such a mint state.

Believe it or not, but with the ordered upgrades I'm in for a bit more than $600. That is equal to an average monthly salary here..

Lube is within hard reach, my body is ready.
But without kidding, I really didn't read all about it yet due to lack of time. All I have seen "flying by" is that they are going to remove uBlock origin or something like that. Will do some research before it happens tho. Thanks for the heads-up!

>I'm in for a bit more than $600. That is equal to an average monthly salary here..
Where you from ThinkAnon? I dropped maybe $400 all together on my T450s and I fucking adore it.

>Thanks for the heads-up!
Yes, no worries. Chrome is a great/powerful browser, but I'm trying to oppose a total Chromium monopoly on browsers.

The light on Thinkpad keyboards is too bright. Even the lowest setting will make you blind when typing.

Why did they stopped using that keyboard layout?

>Where you from ThinkAnon?
Bosnia. The country where used thinkpads and it's accessories are made of gold and diamonds. Pic related: a midrange priced ($350 shipped) T430 with a 768p screen and not even a real photo (or description) of the laptop (that 99 out of 100 times means it's state is total trash).

I'd hate to leave chrome as I use a lot of scripts/extensions that really make my browsing experience a whole lot better/easier, but what do you think is a good alternative to Chrome?

Attached: 6cXZYsd[1].png (1187x566, 156K)

Hey does anyone know of a way to fix the battery lock on X220? The damn thing keeps just sliding out and fucking me over while i'm in the middle of working. Would I have to replace the case entirely or is there some sort of fix?

Attached: me.jpg (960x960, 76K)

My friend has it on her T440p and it looked alright to me. Is it a lot brighter on the T430 models or something?

I've used x201 with AFFS-panel for six years and I finally upgraded to T440s with FHD IPS-panel.

Here's how I feel about T440s:

I don't know where this meme that older Thinkpads were better built comes from. T440s is MUCH more sturdy than x201. It just feels extremely solid all around. Not that x201 isn't good but T440s is completely different level.

My biggest concern was the keyboard. But I actually prefer the keyboard of T440s over x201. The gaps between keys makes it easier to type for me.

The IPS-panel is just stunning. Amazing colors.

I miss Thinklight and T440s keyboard backlight is way too bright even on the lowest setting.

T440s trackpad is horrible and I have 3-button trackpad ordered.

I7-4600U on my T440s isn't much faster than i5 I have on my x201. I am not a fan of these ultra low voltage cpus but it gets the job done.

All in all I am extremely satisfied with T440s and can see myself using this for the next 5-6 years.

You have my condolences Bosniabro. I paid $210 for my Thinkpad with 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD (I swapped for an SSD) and a 768 screen (swapped out).

>I'd hate to leave chrome as I use a lot of scripts/extensions that really make my browsing experience a whole lot better/easier, but what do you think is a good alternative to Chrome?
Like I said, Firefox is the one I'd go with, as its extension/script community is pretty much aces. It's likely anything Chromium-based is going to have the v3 manifest baked in, borking a lot of content blockers like uBlock Origin.

When in doubt, maybe take a look at Privacytools.io for some good suggestions

Thanks for the advice man, I'll look into it!

So what's a reasonable price to pay for a used i5 X230 in europe?

>The T480's aren't terrible, and I'd choose them over a lot of other options
I use my laptop for cat videos and waifus as much as predictive hobbies and writing /lit/erature. At the budget I set, I may get a new HP Pavilion instead.

I don't even know what cernsy that is but even I can tell that is expense for a six year old computer.

Attached: 1552035005345.png (1012x1258, 790K)

Depends per country. In some European countries they are cheap AF, in some others they are expensive AF.

Get someone else to do it
you might be too rough with it if you're not careful.

>patches on a laptop
retard

I'm talking europe in general as most euro sellers will ship across europe.
The ones who don't have too large flaws seem to go for £200 ish. But is that a decent price?

>I may get a new HP Pavilion instead.
I've heard... not good things about HP's consumer lineup as of late.

If your budget allows, the XPS 13 is decent, as is the XPS 15. If you decide you want to game later, or do something that requires a GPU, thunderbolt GPU enclosures work surprisingly well on these.

Bosnian convertible mark (BAM) also known as Konvertibilna Marka (KM)
100BAM (or KM) is $60-ish. And yes, used ThinkPads are extremely overpriced over here.

Anytime bro

>X230 with I5
In the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium they are average around €150 (ebay "buy now" prices)

Friendly reminder that t480/s are the best.

note that the displays are usually in crap condition (whitespots) and replacing x230 ips is quite expensive

I was given an i7 elitebook 8560w earlier for free, in excellent condition.. is it good I’m not very technologically minded

when is the new x1 coming out?

>rightwing SAFETY squad
cuck

The company I work for assigns Thinkpads to employees. The problem is that it's a construction company, and the state that some of these laptops come back in is....

terrifying.

Anyone have a relatively safe way to purchase X210s or another equivalent laptop?

My X220 is generally reaching the point where a replacement will be necessary within 2-3 years.

any tips for maximising battery life on the X220?
Mine runs pretty hot so might repaste to try and eke a bit more out...
got the big 9 cell and I get 3-4 hours of browsing etc. on battery...

wallpaper pls

The link is in the post, but here you go..

Attached: VogDjfg[1].jpg (1600x900, 541K)

shit im high...thanks for being nice about it...

No worries, my friend :)

Attached: Eqf4SVB[1].jpg (714x403, 117K)

I'm trying to move away from my 2015 MBP 8gb 2.7 i5. Any suggestions on what to look out for that is good to upgrade or a good deal? I'm in no rush just would like to switch.

>last X210 sale ever ongoing right now
>no skills at modding, knocking that $550 motherboard out of the question
>total build purchase from reddit based reseller is $1100

God damn it.

Attached: [EG]Gundam_0080_03_[CDD39CBA].mkv_snapshot_11.25_[2016.04.29_16.55.03].jpg (720x480, 29K)

why aRE YOU SUCH A FAGGOT?

Attached: 1560795146405[1].jpg (754x960, 122K)

>If your budget allows, the XPS 13 is decent
I wonder if I should set my budget higher but I'm not comfortable spending more then $800 at ones on something. It doesn't help that I intend to install GNU/Linux as soon as I get it. My Inspiron 5558 had a dead battery less then a year in and I think I was lucky Dell's tech support didn't ask about my os.

I'm also fearful about buying form Ebay and getting shafted or a worn battery.

>If you decide you want to game later, or do something that requires a GPU
I have a desktop for that. I'm never away form it for more then a week.
The most intense gaming I would do on a laptop would be Touhou.

Attached: 1550850534904.png (720x1280, 496K)

What would you use it for?

My X201T is starting to show it's age.
What thinkpad should I upgrade to?
Must have pen support for the screen, I use it mostly for drawing.

X220T?..

>just started working at a battery store
>boss tracked down a new battery for my 10yo Latitude XT2

where can i get a shiny new black shell for my x220?

But they're still functional no?
>using office tier laptops for outdoor use
Thinkbads are good but they're not toughbooks/rugged laptops

Take out a loan, unless you're a NEET like me.

Is the difference in screen size between the 14 and 15 inch models really big enough to warrant such a large increase in weight? I'm looking at upgrading from my X230 with the shitty 768p TN panel and I'm looking at the T450s. I would prefer as big of a screen as possible but something like the T550 or W550s weighs over 5 lbs compared to the T450s at 3.5 lbs.

You can buy a top cover from ebay or whatever or put plastidip on it like some fags have done.

No, unless you're looking for a desktop replacement then yeah, go for a 15 inch model. But "portable" laptops should really be in the 12-14 inch range.
A couple benefits you get with the W and T5xx series is that you'll get a much better heatsink for you CPU and often you'll get more ports as well.

does no one fucking here use a w520

Why can't laptops look this comfy anymore? Why do nice things always have to be taken from us?

Shush, you can't mention a Thinkpad newer than 2016 or they'll chimp out in here.

No because I use a W500 and W530

Everything has to be "thin" now, because people are fucking retards and keep buying badly designed machines.

This is why keyboards are trash now, why components are underpowered garbage that throttles while idling, and battery life is complete shit compared to what it could be.

I get over 13 hours on my X260 when travelling...often watching HD video for a full 12 hour flight...and thats pretty thin...do wish the keyboard was the one from my X31 though!

You're making me consider buying a T440s for when I freelance or browse. I estimate the amount of money I'd save not running this monstrously power-hungry PC I've built for gaming would eventually pay back the cost of the laptop, plus the ability to have a machine that is Linux-dedicated, FOSS-friendly and built specifically for work (and shitposting here) is alluring to me. I haven't had a FOSS-only machine in... Gosh, must be about eight years now.

You guys helped me choose to buy a T510 a while ago, and it's good for my purposes

I need some help now. I am helping my dad upgrade his small business and he really wants to change from old Dell desktops to some modern, fast laptops. They would be ideally just workhorses, he is not super set on thinkpad or dell or anything just wants a really solid win10 platform to do some RDP work on top of quickbooks and outlook.

Can you guys let me know what some of the better thinkpad lineup is, and where I should be going if I want to do more in depth research?Budget is around $1k/machine

Bros i found dirty cheap w500
What's your opinion?

Imagine the battery life you'd get if your modern laptop was the size of a T400 or T420.

>Emacs (full autism)
>Danbooru
>"Cat videos"
>Playing roguelikes/Touhou
>Listening to lecturers/political e-celebrates go crazy as I do something else
>Jow Forums
>Krita (maybe)

I often use my laptop near a window or outside if the weather is nice. Sometimes I take it out to a public place but often i'm using it in bed. I have a desktop for anything that needs big competing power and a GPD Pocket so I can have a Emacs machine on my parson at all times.

The TN panel on my laptop is awful. It's 1366x768 with washed out and blueish colors. It can display about the same amount of text as my UMPC despite being double the size.

I leard that the hard way. I wished I listened to Jow Forums before I spent that money 4 years ago.

Attached: 1552935379627.png (1000x1000, 338K)

If you're specifically looking for an AMD laptop then it's probably the best you can get.
Other than that, >buying new, soldered ram, repairability is not great etc. which all go against what's said in the OP.

>newer than 2016
Try 2012, xx30 is really the last series the classicfags like because keyboard can still be swapped, it supports coreboot and you can do a FHD mod.

i think it's a fair trade off desu...even have the option for an internal battery in the X260 and can then hotswap the mains away from a plug....
I still take my X220 and X61 out with me when working in a coffee shop for a few hours...

It depends on how cheap it is. Are you ok with 4GB DDR2 RAM?

All that can be done with a $100 thinkpad too. Why are you overcomplicating things?

this. i even fucking gayme on a T400. (which i got plus a dock for 70 bucks)

anyone had experience buying renewed off Amazon?

Why is it that when i connect an HDMI cable directly to my T480 and one into my USB C dock, the one connected directly to the laptop turns off and the one in the dock turns on?

because its a port replicator genius.

What does that mean? How come the Lenovo dock can have multiple monitors connected at once?

i mean it's either that or you have too many monitors attached. Check the max supported monitors desu

I've been looking at one, but the upsell on the models is pretty bad, the base model comes with an absolute garbage screen.

The specs say it supports external monitors via HDMI or USB C and it supports three independent displays. So does that mean i cant use the onboard HDMI and USB C at the same time? Gay

I see people online saying they got it to work with the onboard HDMI + USB C to HDMI. Did I get ripped off with this shitty dock? Fucking japniggers

use the DP instead of onboard hdmi idk

>DP
OwO
Don't have on. Im returning the dock

>thinkpads dont come with displayport anymore
sad!