/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1501679878026.jpg (800x577, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

krebsonsecurity.com/2014/05/antivirus-is-dead-long-live-antivirus/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?platform=linux&q=downthemall
i.warosu.org/data/g/img/0534/66/1457881358369.png
i.warosu.org/data/g/img/0534/66/1457881514982.png
i.warosu.org/data/g/img/0534/66/1457881669700.png
youtube.com/watch?v=1SKpRbvnx6g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there's no fucking decent browsers reeeeeee

>portable monitor

Attached: 1551178280971.gif (320x240, 1.73M)

Apart from the bloat, what's the issue with firefox?
If you really want you can have chrome as far as I know, it's just usually in a separate repo, where it belongs quite frankly.

You mean a laptop?

are there any way to make i3 new window opening behave like dwm?

Please tell me he meant laptop, that'd be funny, haha.

I have managed to update debian to sid and am currently using it as my daily workstation (with my work on a separate partition incase shit's fucked)
How dangerous is this and am I better off using stretch?
Not going back to ubuntu, might be willing to try arch now that I understand compiling and partitioning properly.

I switched to Ubuntu last week, and I still haven't found an anti-virus that supports Linux.

Do you guys have any recommendations? If I can't find a good one, I might have to switch back to Windows.

Attached: jon_computer.png (852x759, 830K)

No, i mean portable monitor.

All monitors are portable.

I have never heard that terminology before

install seamonkey my friend :)

>Linux
>Antivirus
If you're serious; there are a few AVs that make Linux clients. Bitdefender comes to mind.
Common Sense 2019 is the best though.

Well, I guess as long as the monitor has HDMI you're good to go with a modern laptop to plug it in.

Antivirus is dead.
krebsonsecurity.com/2014/05/antivirus-is-dead-long-live-antivirus/
I recommend a firewall instead. Install gufw.

mine is stationary.

is it okay if skip .10 ubuntu version each upgrade? i'm kinda lazy to update evrty 6 month but also i don't like using lts for too long

gnu\linux has no viruses

>stand up
>grab monitor
>lift
Portable.

Its basically a very slim monitor that you only have to plug in a USB to for it to work. No power cable. Can you guys not use google?

Anyone who uses "Linux" without "GNU" doesn't care about freedom.

>Can you guys not use google?
Why tf would I want too, pleb?

Im a fascist, fuck your freedom

I'm too old for this shit

Checked.

I just don't understand the use case for such a product, would a light cost laptop or tablet not work as well?

Go to your Windows thread.

>telemetry
>"""studies""" that have been revealed to be pretty much a RCE backdoor
>purging the pre-quantum extensions even though there's still a supported pre-quantum version. addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?platform=linux&q=downthemall
>pocket
>history of baking ads into the browser and then saying shit like "We are continually looking for more ways to say thanks for using Firefox" (sic) when confronted about it with a straight face
>monumental, unforgivable fuckup with the addon signing certificate that wasn't acknowledged for hours and wasn't fixed for over a day

all of that even without mentioning the fact that (((Mozilla))) is terminally pozzed. The certificate fuckup is clear evidence that some diversity hire fucked up, and then some more diversity hires were tasked with unfucking it.

if they had the kind of market share (((google))) does, they'd be doing all the fucking bullshit google does and then some more.

that being said, it's still preferable to chrome, but don't mistake Mozilla for the good guys.

You can find antivirus applications for GNU+Linux, but their purpose is mainly for email servers, scanning files (attachments).
Just stay on top of you're updates.

(You)
Im going traveling with my laptop and I'd like to have a second monitor.

Err.. still no idea how to fix this mess?

Attached: !annoyingwhite.png (959x539, 56K)

Look into apt-listbugs.

Press cancel

>is it okay if skip .10 ubuntu version each upgrade?

No, Linus will be knocking at your door by the end of the month

Friendly suggestion to try out Guix.

Attached: 2795415-9653374716-king..jpg (300x300, 13K)

This is the GNU/Linux thread. Go shill elsewhere.

Making unsubstantiated backdoor allegations. Still bitching about old addons not supported on a new update that happened a year ago... that he had a year to prepare for...

Attached: 1506879657888.gif (300x266, 3.43M)

What I'd honestly recommend, look for a smaller monitor with a removable stand and make sure it has the same kind of video input as your laptop, most have VGA or HDMI from what I recall and HDMI has a similar form factor to USB with the benefit of being able to send audio too and most devices with HDMI or VGA are compatible with linux display drivers. If you really need to use USB I'm not sure if that can even be done, at least, I've never seen a USB based monitor but most of what I do revolves around desktop workspaces or servers and I only really use my laptop as a portable utility, if it's a thing though I'd assume there's 3rd party drivers somewhere for most models.

She makes my peepee hard.

I ordered 2 portable monitors already but if they dont work i guess I'll give that a try

Is there a way to have a seamless windows vm? What i mean is i run a windows game from my linux desktop and it runs it in a headless vm then spits it out into its own little window where you wouldnt even be able to tell it's from windows.
Inb4 wine cause it's confirmed not to work for lots of games i have.

Lol, GNU is awesome, as is freedom.
Why would you bend over to corporatists of today, GNU is the best alternative.
t.Jow Forumsitician

Best ebook reading app?

It just means that we failed teaching people why their freedom is important. Don't attack them, track them.

>>telemetry
>>"""studies""" that have been revealed to be pretty much a RCE backdoor
>>purging the pre-quantum extensions even though there's still a supported pre-quantum version. addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?platform=linux&q=downthemall
>>pocket
>>history of baking ads into the browser and then saying shit like "We are continually looking for more ways to say thanks for using Firefox" (sic) when confronted about it with a straight face
>>
>monumental
>, unforgivable fuckup with the addon signing certificate that wasn't acknowledged for hours and wasn't fixed for over a day
>all of that even without mentioning the fact that (((Mozilla))) is terminally pozzed. The certificate fuckup is clear evidence that some diversity hire fucked up, and then some more diversity hires were tasked with unfucking it.
>if they had the kind of market share (((google))) does, they'd be doing all the fucking bullshit google does and then some more.
>that being said, it's still preferable to chrome, but don't mistake Mozilla for the good guys.

Okay, you redpilled me, what is the best alternative?
I am very worried about privacy, tracking and other such concerns, what browser do I use?

True freedom is not possible. Stop deluding yourself.

>She
GPU passthru

Ebook Reader, get it on F-Droid

Of course no, most people don't even care about it, but still the existence of such an ecosystem is very beneficial to those that do want to be free.
Why should there not be a GNUniverse in a fascist world?

teach*

>unsubstantiated
tell me how did they fix the addon fuckup then, you dumb cunt.
>that he had a year to prepare for...
I don't read their tranny blog or wherever the fuck they had warned about it. there were no warnings about that in the browser. and it's not like that even matters, there was no fucking reason to remove them other than to force the switch to quantum. you can shove whatever justification for it that you can come up with up your frankengina.

Attached: 1560381495285.png (700x700, 432K)

>tranny
Bye-bye.

Get out

I mean the window being white in Adwaita-dark :C

No one failed, in fact it was a great success. There's a next step though, which is wider adoption of the name GNU, and reclamation of its real significance.

lmao,,why should i use linux if i can have it in win10?

icecat/ungoogled chromium

Good post.

Emacs

Okay, thanks!

If anything we need more Jow Forums not less, fuck the snip the C.O.C.

So that you delete Windows.
seamonkey
GNU Guix is a part of GNU software suite.

Go fuck yourself backwards, and never return.
You are not "we", and never was.

Gpu passthrough is a given for any gaming vm
I wasnt asking about passthrough

That's constantly and always in the fighting and up to debate.

No it's not up to debate. GNU is an undertaking of social radicals. You are 100% not welcome here.

>yikes. blocked.
ok, just one more thing before I go: 41%

Attached: 1558142494114.gif (480x360, 1.72M)

Well, keep trying to tell me that all day and derailing the thread.
>undertaking of social radicals
yeah lol, the nice thing about GNU is that anyone can be part of it, as the code is open.

>yeah lol, the nice thing about GNU is that anyone can be part of it, as the code is open.
No, GNU is based on radical core principles, not on considerations of technical efficiency or meritocracy. GNU's president openly stated that the project is against competition, and against so-called meritocracy. It's for war.
>I understand war. I understand fighting an enemy that one must defeat. Competition isn't morally a reason to try to defeat someone. It isn't enough of a reason to consider anyone an adversary.
Man, your trannies are everywhere, especially inside your head. They must bother you so much with their feminine penises.

Hmm guys, i just finished with my ubuntu minimal install and i have 94000 packages, what the fuck did i do?

I was waiting for the prompt to select desktop environments and it never came, is it possible that it just installed everything without asking?

OS*

/fght/ - Friendly GNU/Hurd Thread

Attached: king.png (596x452, 277K)

>hop between distros for two years after dropping Windows
>everything either messy or ugly or time-consuming to set up
>decide to install Fedora with GNOME of all things
>debloat it a bit
>just werks
>finally enjoying it
Guys... is something wrong with me?

yep, you ended up with a corporate cock in butt

What DE? If gnome, install gnome tweaks and set the shell theme

GNU Guix is a package manager, not an OS.

>No, GNU is based on (((radical core principles))), not on considerations of technical efficiency or meritocracy. (((GNU's president))) openly stated that the project is against competition, and against so-called meritocracy. It's for (((war))).
fixed.
>Man, your trannies are everywhere, especially inside your head. They must bother you so much with their feminine penises.
- Ewww, look, there's shit on this sidewalk
- YOU MUST SECRETLY WANT TO SMEAR YOURSELF WITH FECES, MUAHAHA

Attached: 1557239906384.png (418x108, 7K)

>No, GNU is based on (((radical core principles)))
You deny the four software freedoms? Why are you here apart from bad attempts at trolling?

What is gnu to Linux

what is linux to GNU? a kernel.

That wasnt the question, fuckwit

>niggers go to the back of the array

I've set the host name for a computer on my network as prodesk, but I cannot ssh into it using the hostname, only the IP address. Why?

Then rewrite it in such a way that it resembles a statement.

I’ve never used GNU how does it affect my distro and why do you say if we don’t use GNU that we don’t care about freedom so does GNU have some sort of VPN/masking ability? Because the reason I got into gentoo was for my privacy and if could enlighten me on how GNU benefits muhfreedoms

Which distro? 99.9% of distros are GNU/Linux.

Some threads ago someone asked for the "why i hate microsoft" thing. Found it while browsing the archives.
i.warosu.org/data/g/img/0534/66/1457881358369.png
i.warosu.org/data/g/img/0534/66/1457881514982.png
i.warosu.org/data/g/img/0534/66/1457881669700.png

We dont call windows nt
This should just be called gnu

I need the repill on guix
can I use it as my daily driver

it's the same distro, simply with a better and more modern package manager

You are here to spread your ideology. I'm here to ridicule it.
Newsflash, pal - without the horde of blue checkmark kikes, niggers and zombies to back you up, your ideology is not very popular.

Attached: 1559730029309.jpg (544x960, 70K)

How do I get this to work?

I want to write some aliases to my zshrc that use curl and pass on some parameters from zsh to the url parameter. For example, if I type 'dict sallow' this should execute the command 'curl dict://dict.org/d:sallow'.

So far I got alias dict="curl dict://dict.org/d:$1" but it doesn't work

It's so unpopular that it spawned one of the biggest operating systems in history. For free. Despite all cries of corporate dwarfs, proprietary worms, and their favorite dogs like you. And it's not going away. Too late.

grampa Moglen tells it like it is
youtube.com/watch?v=1SKpRbvnx6g

You're aware that free software gives all the power to the user? Kind of like gun ownership, free speech, and private property? Software as a service and closed source stuff essentially force you to live and die according to the rules of some remote SJW corporation. You're getting censored, doxxed and deplatformed everywhere, but you can't stop sucking corporate cock.

>SJW corporation
retard

Define a function

Nice, thanks, got it to work with a simple

function dict() {
curl dict://dict.org/d:"$@"
}