/obsdg/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics cards' drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still a Work-In-Progress driver)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Any tips for a laptop installation?
c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (This site discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)

How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: openbased.jpg (1920x1200, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/#networking
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tried FreeBSD for the first time yesterday. Contrary to what I had been told my computer got hotter and slower than it ever did on OpenBSD.

Attached: kdhduwwkn5g01.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

NetBSD > OpenBSD

NetBSD is even worse than FreeBSD

Wrong

>here's your OpenBSD file server, bro

Attached: egnyte-death-of-the-file-server-happy-halloween3.jpg (375x348, 20K)

Anything I should do post-installation? Currently am sitting on a pretty plain install with StumpWM and some other basic packages but I haven't really configured much of the system yet. Not sure where I should dabble, if anything. Pretty comfy though.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Best partition scheme for a 500gb disk?

I always just let openbsd do it for me

At least change something before copying my older /obsd/ generals.

That's the point of a general thread. Have you for example ever seen a /fglt/ with different links and information than the others? Or do you think it's the same person making it every time?

I fucking love the OpenBSD installer
Its the best "advanced" installer i've ever used. All of the options I would ever want are right there and its not stupidly complicated.

I've got it installed on my x60 but want to get a different DE installed because this defualt one is kinda trash. Any recomendation?
Not that I really know how to configure it

Attached: 1560594778779.jpg (397x746, 157K)

lxqt and xfce are pretty good.
If you want something unique, try cwm (which comes with the base system), or icewm.

checked dubz. also let me get some more tanned loud house

I prefer the Dragonfly installer. And bonus is HAMMER2.

fvwm is based, learn to love it

Trying to learn to make an .kshrc file but all I am able to understand is how to make aliases. How do I make the prompt say "user@hostname" followed by location (like pwd) for example? I have tried really hard to look at /etc/ksh.kshrc but I just can't understand how it works.

Attached: Lloyd-o.jpg (604x340, 17K)

>DE
XFCE
>stacking wm
openbox
>tiling wm
bspwm

Just a few suggestions

>openbox
I don't recommend using it, it doesn't get updated by its maintainers these days, and it still uses python2.

what about fluxbox then?

I don't get it

Its gravity falls senpai

For a file server I'm all about FreeBSD. For a workstation, OpenBSD is based unless you need proprietary Linux- or Windows- or Mac-only software.

Last night I set up the OpenBSD vmm to install and run an OpenBSD VM and it was super easy, I'm going to virtualize Linux and set up X forwarding to the VM host to run Mathematica which I need to untether. I figure I will just let the VM run mostly and pause it if I need to reboot the host, except when the VM itself needs an update.

Is there a gui network manager for openbsd. too much of an idiot to get wifi working.

If I can get ZOOM/skype, I will use this

It's literally one line of configuration, take a look at this article:
c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/#networking

>/etc/hostname.interface
>enter name of bssid and password
>dhcp
it's so easy a retard can do it

Don't forget running sh /etc/netstart as root so that the configurations can take effect.

>No TRIM
>Canadian
>Vulnerable TCP stack
Into the bucket it goes.

You do realize that OpenBSD's TCP stack was *not* vulnerable to the attack, unlike Linux, right?

start with screen blanking and power management, it'll help you find your way around

OpenBSD still uses ancient Berkeley Fast File System (FFS). While other *nixes have and are developing advanced, integrity-protecting, sometimes even bitrot-checking filesystems with integrated RAID, volume management, and snapshotting, OpenBSD is stuck decades in the past.

>Skype/Zoom
I doubt those would work on OpenBSD. Zoom you might be able to do through a browser extension, but native applications are unlikely to exist, and OpenBSD does not have Wine.

When I let openbsd do it I'm left with 300gb unused space.

I want to smack that smug fish