Well, Jow Forums? Do you agree? Where do you fall in?

Well, Jow Forums? Do you agree? Where do you fall in?
How are your studies and degree doing?

Attached: 1559498841074.png (791x722, 52K)

>computer science
>God tier
A lot of fucking freaks go for this degree. Disgusting

Jow Forumsod tier of course. Depending on who you ask/where you're located comp sci could swap places with cyb security.

Meh tier and lower kinds right but higher than meh tier everything wrong.

Whats aerospace energy?

Can I just say that I fucking hate marketing and its practices that are being used on consumers?

Fall into the "good tier" I have a 2 year degree in Network Administration as is and am pursuing a 4 year degree in cybersec.

I have a degree in math. Yeah yeah no jobs but I really don't give a shit. If you can get through math undergrad in a decent program you can literally learn anything with ease. I'm probably just going to continue to purse math to grad school though. Tech is a big hobby of mine though so yeah...

Engineering is overrated.
Prove me wrong.

>study meme engineering
>be uber driver 4 years later

Every degree in unbelievable with the possible exceptions of aerospace and nuclear are overrated memes.
t. Petro engaged to a EE and friends with a bunch of ChemE’s

Is the building you're in still standing? Is the power grid still supplying electricity to your home? Is the sewer system still letting your indoor plumbing work? Do you confidently walk/drive over bridges? Thank an engineer.

It's their obligation, otherwise they will just get sued or even arrested if they do something wrong. Also, probably who have discovered the method to make all the shit that an engineer do was a scientist and not the engineer itself, which makes them even more important.

Scientists didn't invent sewer systems, power grids, or structural analysis. Scientists make observations and test hypothesis, engineers turn those observations into everyday occurrences. No one forces them to undertake the obligation either, they do it willingly.

what is the ranking for? intelligence? financial security? if the former petrol, electrical and petrol enjy should be lower, if the latter astrophysics should be lower and biochem (listed twice in same category) should be higher

I think arguably for best financial security, computer engy / software engy / electrical engy / mathematics / mechanical engineering should all be unbelievable tier because they are useful in every part of technology

>transportation: suicide tier
is it really bad? i'd imagine public transportation being a profitable business, as it's growing faster than ever in major cities

I dropped out of college after failing my second semester in my third year. I got bailed out by based nepotism and now get paid $40/hr maintaining a dotnet website. I couldn't tell you a damn thing about advanced data structures or any binary trees, but I'm making bank so who cares lol

Put cyber sec in unbelievable tier

>wildlife
>shit
yea no, the great outdoors is the best thing you can do, fucking idiot.

(You) forgot to include Journalism in the shit tier.
Otherwise good list desu

>Mech.
>Mech. Engy
What's the difference?

Attached: 12310315046.jpg (480x362, 30K)

Attached: death.png (856x1258, 69K)

I can tell that this was created by some knock-kneed virgin with absolutely zero experience in any of these fields.

Also, fuck you for not studying whatever you want and finding/making work to do for the good of society.

Also also, I have a Ph. D. in chemistry.

how is a CIS degree?

>EE/CE
>Overrated
>Aerospace not overrated
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>aerospace and nuclear

there's literally no jobs in these sectors. extremely limited as to where you can work.

>good tier
medicine, accounting/finance, CS/IT, trades, doing a PhD in a scientific field, certain types of engineering that actually have jobs, law at a t1 school

>okay tier
meme business degrees, associates in IT, education, doing a PhD in a field such as english/history/psychology

>bad tier
do i even have to go into this? obviously most art majors besides like graphic design, ethnic studies, etc. everyone knows these now

this chart makes me laugh every time I see it because the vast majority of the top half of this thing are fucking awful and you'll be miserable and possibly poor. It absolutely had to have originally been written by a teenager who wanted to be a STEM-fag

Law? For real? Going to law school is basically a ticket to fucking poverty

A bunch of the remaining list will result in you being homeless 99% of the time unless you decide to stay in academia and no one here is autistic enough to land tenure track at a top university

>philosophy in shit tier
Shit chart

it's honestly not that far off. i do agree you'll be miserable in a lot of the higher tier, high paying ones though.

business management

Yeah, it's suicide tier

huh?

CIS==business management in IT coat

one's driving a giant robot the other is just a greasemonkey

The chart is about best paying job, not intelligence required.

There are basically no jobs in half of those at the top of that list outside of academia, and your chances of getting those are pretty slim.

is either CIS or business management good?

junior in accounting here but it's tough, almost thinking about switching to one of these, the few majors i could transfer my credits to.

I thought this chart was perceptions of society chart.

all of these are scam, I dropped out of software engineering last year and my coworker is a former chemical engineer.

Industrial tech.
Mainly do technical drawings.
I get paid $16 to work with a bunch of Mexicans doing repetitive CAD shit in front of a computer.
Part of me wishes I had given programming a chance instead.
But I heard that shits just as mindnumbing.

It doesn't pay much better either.

>petro engineer
did you go to behrend too

Why wouldnt you just keep going?

like pottery

>software development/programming doesn't pay much

yeah okay dude

literal 60k starting bare minimum 40k after grad

100k after a year or two, 3-5 maybe, or at least 75k+, 80k+

25% growth over the next 10 years

Engy = engineer

*clears throat*

Attached: gre2.png (600x465, 74K)

Bluepilled and depressed

Those starting wages are basically living in your car in any major metro area, and the jobs that pay those wages in non-major metro areas are awful.

Also, those $100k+ jobs aren't gonna go to you, and they're certainly as fuck aren't gonna grow when tech bubble 2.0 pops. If you're OpenStack you're monkeying yourself straight into a fucking dumpster if you're not just putting all of that money in the bank.

Seems like I choose the right major.

>and the jobs that pay those wages in non-major metro areas are awful.

why?

and honestly 80k and anything upwards in a metro area really isn't that bad.

>Good tier - College education
> Meh tier and below - college degrees
Are you literally retarded?

software development is utterly mindnumbing work because with any large job you're going to be janitoring some other retard's portion of some gigantic monolithic codebase- it's just that if you're not in one of the major metro areas it won't even be PART of something interesting.

If you want anything stimulating or exciting, you basically have to work for yourself in this field.

If you want a computer janitor job that pays bank and doesn't really take a ton of work if you know what you're doing, do Sharepoint contracting for the MIC. I have no idea why but the US military/MIC loves their fucking sharepoint and you can knock out $120k+ easily a year doing work that somehow makes you feel less like a tiny cog in a big machine despite being way easier.

Also any clearance basically slots you neatly into a job market completely separate from the public sphere. If you have a clearance you can basically just go do whatever you want if you can keep it up to date.

how different is software engineering in a metro area then?

or is it just the same shit except metro areas have you be a cog in an interesting machine?

also, i feel like tech is at least less mind numbing than accounting because you're actually creating something that benefits people.

and how is web development? are there any chill IT careers?

This chart is 10 fucking years old. Most of these should be in shit tier now.

Web Development depends entirely on where you're working for because well, almost any company of any reasonable size needs it.

The chillest IT career is academic IT. I'm biased because I went from private sector to academic.

+If it is at any reasonably not-shit institution in a state that isn't underwater financially (or a private university that isn't poorly managed) your job/place of work has zero threat of drying up and blowing away suddenly.

+Crunch doesn't exist. You can get extraordinarily busy at times (I'm not gonna say it's "easy") but even when you're salaried it's very much a clock-in-clock-out gig, and administrators, deans, heads, profs, etc all the way down to janitors won't bust anyone's balls for not putting in overtime unless something is utterly fucked because everyone want THEIR time when they need it.

+If you're at a halfway decent institution you're going to be surrounded by, and involved in all sorts of interesting stuff that changes every day even if you're in a very specific school. If you're working for a boring school, you're STILL in a place where there's usually interesting shit to check out and once you've got some time under your belt you can just check internally for another gig at a more interesting school. The people are more interesting.

+Academic IT experience transfers. All institutions prefer to hire internally (duh, they're insular), but if they hire outside they want Academic IT experience before ANYTHING. You have experience, you'll fucking clobber people coming from the private sector.

+Benefits are usually good, time off is good. I have 300+ hours of vacation and I'm not at the top of the food chain. Note I said vacation. We don't do PTO. I have an entirely separate pool of sicktime. I had this after just THREE YEARS. I have a friend who switched jobs to get a 20% pay bump in the private sector and he's back to like 14 fucking days of PTO.

-Gross pay is less than private sector. Who cares.

Nah its creative and fun

>tfw talentless low iq neet
>have absolutely no interests in life
>want to start a trade to try fixing my life
>don't know what to do no matter how much i search
is electrotechnology/electrical engineering a good pick

you better rely on your networking skills with kids in your class, because whatever technical stuff you're learning in class won't help you get a decent job

God tier physics

All degrees are equally important.

lol damn

so CIS is shit then? guess i'll stick to accounting.

t. Engineer who things e=3=π

>social services/anthropology etc. on the same level as business managers, marketing etc.
Can someone go make better bait

Watch Louis Rossman

I would place military in meh tier as it's not inherently shit if you pick the right job and branch and it can be a really good option for starting your life with some work experience and college money. Also clearances are no joke just being a janitor in a secure space pays well.

>greasemonkey
yeah?

Attached: greasemonkey.jpg (1280x720, 42K)

I've got to get my security + certification in 90 days. Whats the best book to get that covers a good amount of material?

Going back to school at 26 and getting a master's in IT since fuck my current field, don't care about age since if I have to work a shit job for a couple years for experience to not spend 40 years in an overly stressful field then it's worth it

Anyway what's the best IT speciality/job for someone that's reasonably intelligent, wants a decent work-life balance (including the work itself not being excessive), jobs available and livable pay + a little extra (I don't need six figures but I'd like to buy things besides necessities occasionally)

For what it's worth, based on what I read about both so far in my free time networking seems more interesting than security but I'm not really well educated about the various disciplines

what career are you switching from?

Who else /CE/ here?

Marketing. Extremely stressful and boring, work also follows you home far too much

Shit tier BS in psychology reporting in. Got my degree two years ago and my first job was at a cyberdefense govt contractor. They decided they would rather teach a technical writer to program than teach a programmer how to write. Funny how things tend to just work out.

damn i always figured marketing was easy

I'm a student pilot, so I'm so god damn powerful I'm not even on the chart
College is for fag nerds lmao I got my shit degree and got out

I was going to do flight school but that shit's expensive.

So is college
Sometimes you just gotta grab life by the nuts

>music major drop out turned entertainment repair tech.
Meh, there's decent money in soldering cables and repairing tube amps

Oh god, now that I'm on PC, the reddit-spacing from phone formatting
Haha no. My job is to dig through enormous amounts of data, interpret it with a shitton of stat formulas, find relevant relationships and write reports on how it can be applied to making the company money. The idea of writing whacky commercials or making packages is a huge meme

Regarding all the terrible commercials on TV and other blatantly bad marketing, it's usually either from snowflake interns like trannies and le oppressed women or out of touch executives who have no idea what they're going going over marketing departments' heads

>Haha no. My job is to dig through enormous amounts of data, interpret it with a shitton of stat formulas, find relevant relationships and write reports on how it can be applied to making the company money.
Oh and also checking my phone every 10 minutes for stupid emails that don't need to exist in the first place but I'll get in trouble for not immediately replying to

I have CIS, it's shit. Should have gone for CS.

I made it as a SW engineer regardless by sheer force of autism.

>I made it as a SW engineer regardless by sheer force of autism.

elaborate? how was CIS shit? did it not prepare you for anything? did you get into SE by sheer self-teaching?

would you recommend accounting over CIS then? don't think i can hack it in CS, seems hard as shit and im already a junior i'd have to retake so much.

I studied Info Sys but got an internship as a Software Engineer. Where does that lie?

On the subject, as a white male, what if I just put "other" for race and gender without specifying either on job forms? If there's going to be a broken system I want to be on the benefiting side of it

how the fuck Astronomy is in great tire next to networking and anatomy..
my IQ is apparently below 130 and im working as IT dude in school..

Implying most engineers even do shit that contributes to any of that

>GRE inteded major
>inteded

I went to a shitty school which was mistake #1. My CIS program included coding classes, which were helpful, but I lacked the CS fundamentals. When I was close to graduation I built up a decent portfolio to get an entry level programming job and worked my way up, teaching myself CS and pushing myself to learn along the way. You can get into programming with no degree whatsoever if you're capable of learning to code on your own. I can't speak to accounting. It seems boring.

>Le THE SYSTEMS ARE FAILING

Attached: 1506539940346.webm (480x270, 2.94M)

I guess I'm in unbelievable tier, but EE is pretty boring honestly. I have a lot more fun doing software engineering work than I do using my EE degree to do EE work.

Is your end goal to work for a commercial airline?

Attached: 1560804630271.png (791x1000, 57K)

NO NO NO NO

>*rees about robots "getting shit done" at 4x the efficiency for a fraction of the cost*

Yes

God speed cap'n

History degree in Cali reporting in.

I've seen enough shit that 'worked on paper' from engineers that I am not worried at all.

Except when it's currently actually working in real life. Trades have always been for brainlets, it's just even more true now since white-collar jobs are replacing blue