Learn or not to learn

I want to give this sexy language a shot, but It seems it's still useless atm. Will this language be relevant in a couple years? Should i learn It?

Attached: 220px-Kotlin-logo.svg.png (220x220, 6K)

Dont

>sexy
It's a mediocre language. It only looks good when compared to Java.
>It seems it's still useless atm
It is and it always will be
>Will this language be relevant in a couple years?
No. Google is moving its preferred app design languages away from it, and that was the only market Kotlin ever had

How is it useless? 1st class support for android, native support for a lot of modern JVM libraries. That covers like 90% of all uses cases for it

If you want to do Android development you could consider it. It's basically nu-Java. If Google can reasonably sunset Java off of it's platform or if Oracle pushes too hard it's gonna be all Kotlin all the time.

>No. Google is moving its preferred app design languages away from it, and that was the only market Kotlin ever had
Are you retarded? They literally said like two weeks ago they're going to give preferred support to Kotlin, coming out of the Oracle lawsuit over the java api.

Just use Java like a real man.

It's nice, don't listen to the haters on Jow Forums

It takes all the good stuff about the Java ecosystem / JVM and gives you a sane language that doesn't make you repeat yourself constantly. It's far from useless

If you want to do Android or enterprise bloatware it's a decent option. If you want to do anything else it's useless.

I'm a bit tires of Java after i run into some legacy code. It made me realize that ALL the Java jobs available (yea, theres plenty) is for shittty, boomers, pajeet like legacy code.

But i like the JVM thou. Clojure is also neet, but It's still experimental.

I'm just so fucking tired of new languages. Learning them might be easy but proficiency is not, and you have to have yet another ecosystem in your pc, every useful library needs to get ported (and they get abandoned once they move to a new language), new package managers, yada yada yada. It's like a fucking scam for people to make a GitHub CV and companies to hijack attention. Just put me out of my misery.

Attached: pandemic.jpg (450x307, 36K)

But in this case what you said doesn't apply, since Kotlin just uses the Java library, and the packages are managed by Gradle or Maven as well.

Exactly.
And this is huge actually. The problem is that Kotlin is caged by JetBrains IDE thou. They are workin' to make It native but idk how It will turn out to be.

That's exactly what Google says right before halting all development

Just come home WM!

Attached: comehomewhiteman.png (1920x1592, 141K)

Actually, since the property name was declared as val, it will be immutable, so there's a false equivalence there, since the Java class has a method setName.

JVM is pretty shit desu. Yeah, it is very fast and can do some crazy optimizations, but the JVM was only built with Java in mind, so other languages have to manage the flaws in Java with this in mind.

If Kotlin is the same as Scala, then he can just change it to var so that it becomes mutable and automatically generates the accessors and mutators.

Flutter

Has gone nowhere since it was introduced.

But it's Google's endgame, while kotlin is just a temporary patch until everyone migrates to shut Oracle the fuck up

Now that's a load of bullshit

I was the same way. Learn it. It's really easy to pick up. Within a week I was already converting my existing java apps to kotlin. It's a fantastic language.

It's also gaining presence on the web. It compiles to js so I'd say it's not going anywhere.

I'm completely new to programming. Should I learn programming with java first, and then Kotlin?

no

Depends on what you want to program.

Kotlin - Typed JS for idiots. By idiots.

/thread

>Kotlin having anything to do with JS
Peak idiocy

It is supposedly a cool lanugage but it will never displace Java on the JVM and Oracle all but ensured that the platform is going to die anyway. I wouldn't bother with it. There's much nicer languages outside the JVM (just stay away from C++ and you'll be fine).

It is literally Typescript, you fucking degenerate.

>Kotlin - when too dumb for Scala.
>Kotlin - imperative Scala for the rest of us.
>Kotlin - Not only math majors are entitled.
>Kotlin - language for drop outs from Scala.

Choice any 4.

>Kotlin having anything to do with JS
Peak idiocy

Kotlin is the main language for Android now.

>Choice any 4

Scala is an abysmal cluster fuck and Kotlin is trending the same way.

Scala is not even 100% interoperable with java while Kotlin is.

>Kotlin is literally JS

Attached: 1519264861280.png (645x729, 62K)

Kinda, since you'll be using Java libraries most of the time. Get to know at least java's main libraries - java.lang and java.util.

Yes, learn java first because you will be asked mostly java questions on the interviews.

Learning it for uni right now and I don't see the point at all. And I seriously doubt it will still be a thing in a few things.

For now. Oracle made sure that Google will find a replacement for Java and JVM.

enjoy your imperative typescript clone for unprivileged diversity hires you pleb

thanks for the replies

This. Anyone that thinks Java and it's derivatives will still be relevant in a few years is either a shill, retarded, or both.

From a syntax/semantics perspective, Kotlin should be a universal replacement for Java. It's a really nice language, and if you are starting a new project with a clean slate there are 0 reasons to choose Java over Kotlin.

The issue is whether it will actually be adopted widely. It seems people have kind of slotted it into the real of "the Android language" and it doesn't seem to be expanding out of that niche

It's not useless. It's now the default language for android development, in Android Studio atleast.

Flutter is what's used for on Fuchsia OS. It may be irrelevant now but a couple years into the future and it may just get some usage.

For what other purposes would Kotlin be good for?

It's only the "Android Language", because there are more startups in Android development. There's not a lot of people who use Java outside of that, besides boomer corps.

Server side programming with it's implementation of coroutines.

It's expanding in web dev. It can use any java framework, and compiles to js and native binaries. Even if people don't adopt it, it can run along Java seemlessly.

>There's not a lot of people who use Java outside of that, besides boomer corps.
The thing is that there are tons of fucking boomer corps out there that are using Java. They also employ a shitton of people to work with their Java codebases. Just because startups that employ 5 guys and run out of VC money in a year generate a shitton of hype doesn't mean that they're the main users. If the boomer corps will adopt Kotlin is another thing.

>If the boomer corps will adopt Kotlin is another thing.

Theres no reason for why they shouldn't thou. You can call Kotlin code within Java code with no effort, you can make Java code into Kotlin's with one click, Kotlin is even compatible with Java 6 so it can excel in java legacy code bases too.

As it is, you can "rewrite" your Java application with Kotlin and Kotlin application with Java fluently, so if Kotlin dies along the way, you can easily reverse the changes to your codebase without breaking things.

>Theres no reason for why they shouldn't thou
That has never been a concern for boomer corps/enterprises. They make retarded decisions all the time and if some exec who hasn't touched a piece of code in two decades decides that Kotlin bad, Java good they won't adopt Kotlin.