Battle of the distro's

battle of the distro's

what's the best linux distro and why is it mint?

Attached: linux.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

manjaro.org/download/
debian.org/security/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i like arch because it makes it easy to install software which is not commonly found on other distros

Suse has the best combo of ease of Use and power.

but it really depends on your skill level.

Mint - great for starters
Suse - Great for experienced users
Slackware - great for people who really know the OS.

Ubuntu
/thread

I tried OpenSuse last week. I had tons of issues with the Wicked mode and actually had to use the KDE software to get Wifi to work. I then had issues with YaST installing both open source and closed NVIDIA drivers at the same time while also downloading G04 and G05 versions (G04 is for older cards) at the same time. I tried to uninstall the drivers to start over and to see if I could download just G05, but when I uninstalled the drivers YaST also said there were dependency conflictions and it started to uninstall all of KDE and some other things. I aborted it thinking it would revert the changes but when I restarted I couldn't boot. So, I went back to Fedora but thought I'd try with Gnome 3 since I haven't used it in a long time. OpenSuse made some really weird partitions that some how affected my Windows install to now that when Windows is supposed to hibernate, it powers off and then gets to GRUB and automatically goes into Fedora. Moral of the story: OpenSuse is not to be trusted.

i like manjaro because it's like arch but without the pain of installing it.

installing arch is more fun than using it desu

Linux Mint is literally Ubuntu with the best Desktop Environment (Cinnamon)

pretty much any of these are good if you actually plan on using your desktop to get shit done and want something stable and relatively sane:
- netrunner
- lubuntu
- xubuntu
- slackware
- salix
- solyd x/k
- sparky gnu/linux
- opensuse w/kde
- kubuntu
- kde neon
- solus
- ubuntu budgie
- linux mint
- manjaro
- chakra gnu/linux

oh yeah and arch is really good if you're a stupid faggot with a lot of time on their hands.

Manjaro is literally less stable than arch and comes with fuckinf steam pre-installed
Arch takes like half an hour to set up with the manual. Fuck off retard.

so which arch install scripts confounded you
- pacstrap
- arch-chroot
- genfstab

Attached: udindu.jpg (1024x860, 103K)

slackware is a far more stable and useful gnu/linux distribution than arch will ever be, and it also requires pretty frequent manual intervention. your distro is just trash is all.

>Mint

Ah yes, the one where they've STILL not figured out how to display combined battery life on a dual battery Thinkpad

I like to keep it mainstream, but go for Ubuntu.

>pretty frequent
lol xD

Attached: screen-190618-033121.png (999x236, 33K)

just use debian

Attached: neckbearddrawingarchlinux11_0.png (232x276, 64K)

I would but my desktop isn't a server and I like packages from this millennium

ubuntu is literally debian and is considered as desktop distribution.
also debian 10 and debian sid exists

this for me too. once you have arch installed its by far the easiest distro to use, especially with the arch wiki

>why is it mint?

because OP is a fag

>Manjaro is literally less stable than arch

Attached: 13304.jpg (734x549, 105K)

manjaro.org/download/

Install Gentoo.
There has been a lot of newfags recently who think it's a joke. It's not. It's unironically the best distribution out there, especially if you want to get shit done and don't want subpar package management getting in the way.
For example, this post is not to be taken seriously, as most distributions suggested use apt.

>requiring frequent manual intervention is good

Kde neon is the least stable piece of shit I have ever used in my life

Better off use kubuntu tbhfam

Arch > *

user awkwardly titptoes around Gnome even though it's actually the best DE.

not really, most experienced people who want to get shit done go full circle to debian or even ubuntu

For the last time Jow Forums, ricing your home desktop for hours is not "getting shit done".

Mint is good, but dying.

Manjaro Cinnamon is the next place to go.

Why is Mint dying?

Pozzed.

That's pathetic, installing Arch isn't as difficult as it seems, just because it doesn't have a gui doesn't make it harder.
>oh yeah and arch is really good if you're a stupid faggot with a lot of time on their hands.
>t.fag who doesn't know how to install arch.
Explain me why I should use Debian?
I mean, I love Debian but; I like Arch a little bit more.

The best distro is Arch, you worthless OogaBuntu. Mint is for kids, arch is for cool and smart people like me.

Debian/CentOS for it just works/doesn't break
Arch/Gentoo for people that need new software(yes I realize Debian Sid offers rolling release when testing isn't frozen but Sid is literally the testing grounds so you're better going for a distro that is supposed to be rolling release and only that. Debian selling point will always be stable).
Any other distro is up to you but the 3 I mentioned above cover everything you need in my view.

Shit like this is why all of you taken together struggle to break 3% market share.

meant 4*

every distro is shit move on
stop using computers

>kernel 4.9

good. Linux and FOSS will die the moment it goes mainstream

Cause it's literally ubuntu+cinnamon. Mind made sense back in the day, but now they should just drop it and focus on cinnamon

Let’s do it this why
What’s wrong with Ubuntu?
What’s wrong with Mint?
What’s wrong with Zorin?
What’s wrong with elementary?
What’s wrong with Debian?

>Ubuntu
for the ease of it
>openBSD
for the ultimate non botnet distro

Attached: 1560800705124.jpg (500x400, 66K)

>uses a non-botnet distro
>launching any web browser from it gives you a 100% guaranteed unique fingerprint

I quite like antergos

Literally dead. You'll obviously keep getting arch updates if you already have it installed, but the project is discontinued.

Linux is a kernel

dilate

I didn't even notice desu since I swapped out the repos for arch ones long before they discontinued it.

true, but Chrome on OpenBSD has unveil support

I was a Debian fag until I switched to arch and had so many less problems.

>ubuntu+cinnamon
LMDE exits and it's debian but better

This. No additional repositories. No strange mechanisms. Simple and straightforward.

>why should I use debian?
oh maybe because productive software is actual in the official repositories and not in some unreliable AUR which sole purpose is to make it easier to install ricing and meme software. also it doesnt fuck up your xorg, I dont have time for this shit.

name one feature you need from kernel 5.0 you desperately need. you cant, right? you suffer from shiny new stuff syndrome, user, visit a doctor.

I was an arch fag until I switched to debian and had so many less problems, for real.

>no strange mechanisms
hah the AUR is literally the strangest mechanism of linux distros I know. Its not even considered as an official part of the distribution.

whats better on LMDE?

Every new Colonel release fixes security vulnerabilities and contains bug fixes. Enjoy a less secure system.

what the fuck are you even talking about dumb archfag?
> debian.org/security/
arch is the distribution with untested software, which may contain even more security vulnerabilities and bugs than and long tested stable software with recent security patches. kys

PopOS

This is not the greatest distro in the world,
No-oh,
The greatest distro in the world,
No-oh ow-ooh!
This is just a tribute!

Attached: ubuntu.png (512x512, 24K)

Do we have amdgpu in 4.9?

I like Gentoo. It doesn't offer any real benefit, but it makes me FEEL cool

Literally everything everywhere

I got that reference.