news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20207577
github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/tree/develop
github.com/fniessen/org-html-themes/blob/master/setup/theme-readtheorg.setup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

emacs thread

(emacs (thread))

M-x emacs-thread

(require 'emacs-thread.el)

I've finally reached stability in my init file, only took me a year. Now I only really change things to add or remove rss feeds.

:emacs-thread

emagz dhread :DD

Whats a good mechanical keyboard for emacs?

emacs keyboard

does any of you actually use ctrl/alt normally with emacs or do you rebind it to something like caps?

aliexpress.com/item/best-mechanical-keyboard-for-emacs/33002175641.html

> thumb clusters for meta, super, and hyper
Ergodox
Dactylus
Manuform

Xah-lee writes a blog where details his interest, they happen to intersect at this question as the blog details his work writing emacs extensions and exotic keyboards.
> Kinesis Advantage2's

As a vimlet, does anyone have any good introductions to Emacs? I've had it on my pc for months, but i usually just open it up and get a bit confused and go back to Vim again. Is there an Emacstutor or any good reading material? maybe videos?

Attached: brainpc.png (820x729, 106K)

Emacs has a built in tutorial that is quite good. Xah Lee also has one

user what package have you recently added to your init.el
> frog-menu

Best way of reading pdf's in emacs?

Prince emacs
Uncle dave
Emacs rocks
Mike Zamansky

pdf-tools
doc-view

pdf-tools

it renders on the fly using clutter (engine behind Evince)

don't

very smart people and decades of polishing are behind default key chords

Install spacemacs then read the inbuilt migrate from vim tutorisl

cool thanks

Swapping keys doesnt really answer for the effectiveness of the current keybindings

Dont mystify them, they dont really have any special attributes, allot of them spell out their function (C-k means kill [cut] line, C-p previous line) which only seems counter intuitive when you are accustomed to the Microsoft as the default paradigm. People have used querty for decades, its the legacy of an inefficient design that is optimal for problem of typerwriters transfered. The argument user is making would be anti-colmac.

Though one hidden property of emacs binding is that they are awkward which prevent the hypnotic effect of mindless editing that vim conditions you to, scrolling is easy so rather then jump lines they waste time scrolling.

>mindless editing
What's that?

I use it for org-mode, C programming and learning scheme, it's so comfy that I barely use vim anymore.

Attached: 2019-06-18-161629_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 290K)

what about RSI?

Why do you use the external PDF-viewer? You can read books in Emacs. With pdf-tools and org-pdfview you can also create link to the specific pages in your documents. Quite comfy.

Attached: IMG_20190611_171915_652.jpg (674x538, 50K)

What difference does it make?

C-h t opens the tutorial.
You can also watch Uncle Dave's videos on JooTube.

Put it in a file, run xmodmap on it.
! Alt key is CTRL
! Windows/Super key is Alt
! CTRL key is Windows/Super
remove mod1 = Alt_L
remove mod4 = Super_L
remove control = Control_L

add mod1 = Super_L
add control = Alt_L
add mod4 = Control_L

! Swap brackets and parens
keycode 0x12 = 9 bracketleft
keycode 0x13 = 0 bracketright
keycode 0x22 = parenleft braceleft
keycode 0x23 = parenright braceright

Nope. Most keyboards nowadays have badly placed modifiers, which is what causes RSI.
Emacs was mainly influenced by the space cadet keyboard. Look also at pic related: you have Ctrl closer to the spacebar instead of Alt, which makes sense since it's much more frequently used. This makes it possible to press it with your thumb instead.
Vi, too, was influenced by the keyboard it was originally used with, which had an Esc key placed where Caps Lock is now and not enough modifiers (which also highlights how modal editing is really just a workaround for missing modifiers).
Had Emacs been designed nowadays, it's likely that the keybindings would be different.
Besides most commands in both Emacs amd Vi are purely mnemonic. C-f : forward, C-p : previous... but also $ for end-of-line in Vi: that's because $ was often used (and sometimes still is) to mark the end of a line in regular expressions.
It makes perfect sense to remap them if you don't like them. Emacs is about customization after all, and that includes keybindings.

Attached: flickroid-macivory-symbolics-5675906-h.jpg (900x678, 385K)

Why is everything so dark? :^(

I rebind. Get a japanese layout keyboard and enjoy all modifiers comfortably under your thumbs. I also rebind commands in Emacs to follow a more comfortable layout.

>doc-view
This fucker freezes my Emacs.

Because of the above, pdfs are one of a few things I don't do in Emacs. Instead I enjoy pixel-smooth scrolling in Okular. But >With pdf-tools and org-pdfview you can also create link to the specific pages in your documents
sounds just a bit tempting.

Would the Leopold keyboards be the closest thing we got to a good Emacs keyboard? Besides HHKB.

Any thinkpad with the forward/back buttons next to the directional keys. Basically all thinkpads before the xx30 series.

Movement is a primative form editing code. In fact, moving around feels productive people. People feel an editor that enable this inclination makes them more productive. However all movement is waste, editors should try minimize that. The hjkl of editor like vim incorages iterative movement (scrolling) which actually is wasteful and inefficient, by making it convenient, eventually people edit via muscle memory. In Emacs scrolling is terrible, remain terrible, this is because users learning there are better ways and making better useless. I never scroll between part of a program as in emacs this operation is accomplished by exchanging the point and mark, augmented with goto-line. Often a vim user wont be bothered by repeating the same command over-and-over because the editor makes them illusion that because they are doing them efficiently they are being productive, as emacs user I am alway encouraged to automate with marcos which alway more productive. The simplest example is the universal arguement C-u which repeats command this how emacs user navigates C-u 10 C-p, vim users lllllllllllllllllllll.

This good explaination
Mindless editing is editing with thinking about editing. Often people mistake keystrokes with editing as some text editors perform easier then emacs they are presumed to be better.

How did you get the tabs at the bottom

I always question dark themes tidbits.com/2019/05/31/the-dark-side-of-dark-mode/

>emacs

Attached: 1559935984446.jpg (430x378, 25K)

>Get a japanese layout keyboard
I'm tempted to do this too. Does that make it harder to use non-English layouts for other languages?

Not at all or just a bit depending on the layout you choose. AltGr is smaller (smaller than 1x key) and I sometimes miss it (you could rebind it to the Japanese-specific keys but I decided to prioritize LAlt, LCtrl, Shift, and Super before AltGr).

Also, I set the layout through xkb. I'd post it if it wasn't a mess (I replace files in /etc/ instead of making a local config, I should fix that sometime).

That sounds like self-deception and cope. The broken English doesn't make it any better.

>cope
Opinion discarded. Or "Unbased. Seethe. Dilate. Cringe. Onions sauce." as your kind would say.

Primative and mindless, dare I even say.

i had never seen a japanese layout, it looks top comfy not just for emacs but for anything, really.
also, this. i've recently remapped caps to ctrl and altgr to alt. sincerely it feels way better than the default. comparing a keyboard from '80 and right now, i think the 80s had it better, not only on having good layouts but having different layouts.

> You

Attached: brainlet.png (420x426, 155K)

I want to watch video in emacs

IRC config

Nice, I just need to type cyrillic with no special modifier keys, so I guess it'll work fine with no/minor modifications.
>I set the layout through xkb
Do you just remap keys via 'setxkbmap' or is it something more fancy?

google spacemacs

>tidbits.com/2019/05/31/the-dark-side-of-dark-mode/
interesting read, but i just don't like the white light coming of screens, i'm guessing because i only have shitty screens?

Yes, setxkbmap with custom config files. xkb config was pretty comfy. As far as I know, setxkbmap is the most versatile tool you can get (I mean, you could have some tool that generates xkb config, but I don't think there is any point to it).

>i just don't like the white light coming of screens
You can use a paper-color or beige background to not make it as white.

HHKB is actually pretty bad for Emacs (and also in general IMHO) since, unless you remap it, it has a single Ctrl key where Caps Lock usually is.
That's a suboptimal position, as you're still using your pinkie to press it. And pinkie stretches are the main cause od discomfort/RSI. That's why using thumbs, if possible, is way, way better.
Besides, the fact that older keyboards had Ctrl where Caps lock usually is is a massive historical revisionism (and also why I dislike the HHKB). Even old typewriters usually had Caps Lock where it is today.

Attached: sc(2).jpg (600x402, 28K)

github.com/chrisdone/god-mode
Try out god-mode if you hate the default emacs modifiers.

Attached: 1547408927307.gif (500x374, 992K)

That comes from my tiling window manager i3wm.org/ , not from Emacs.
I never really tried reading PDF inside Emacs and I never really had the need to do that, Zathura just werks and I rarely tile Emacs, I will try someday to do this task inside emacs.
Because it looks like edgy hacker stuff.

bump

Hey there! I also use emacs for going through SICP with racket. My current setup is SICP on the left and org-mode with babel on the right. It was a bit hacky but I got it working, now I can embed racket functions into my code. Your example made me rethink that however... I am still a big sucker for notetaking, but I might just make a 3rd buffer (or even use paper lol) and using a dedicated buffer for the exercises. Much less boilerplate and I can still write comments if some exercise was interesting.

Currently working on other stuff but hope to be able to resume soon. Enjoy it user!

How can I stop flycheck from hijacking by default C-; ?
I want to bind C-; to iedit but flycheck always gets it

(define-key flycheck-mode-map (kbd "C-;") nil)

I've literally never understood the weird dislike for default emacs keybindings. I exclusively use them and I've never had a problem with comfort.
Maybe it's because I'm not a brainlet that holds his fingers right over home row all day?

Before: C-p C-k C-n M-^ ) C-j C-y M-r C-x z z M-2 M-g M-g C-x C-s
After: p k n g ^ ) j y g r . . 2 g g x s
So it just annhilates the modifier keys? Is this some evil-mode bullshit from vimlets?

It's not about being a brainlet. The thing is that ctrl is at the edge of the keyboard and you can either stretch your pinky to it or move your whole hand to press it. With emacs you constantly use ctrl and alt so it does hurt after a while.

>stretch your pinky or move your whole hand to press it
What the actual fuck?

Any Julia friend around?
I'm looking for some Matlab tier setup.
- a window for editing my script (with comfy completion and ideally fun stuff like jump to definition)
- a repl I can easily send my whole script to evaluate (ideally something like Matlab cells too, where I can send only a portion of my script for evaluation)
- some mechanism for "clear all"
- some mechanism like the "whos" command in Matlab (what variables are currently set up and what's their values) (optional)

So far I'm using Julia mode for editing + some yasnippets, and ESS for sending my code to a repl. But my setup is quite Spartan and I haven't figured out yet how to get top comfy.

Thanks mom

>alt as control
Much better to use caps lock. Never need to use that key for any reason.

I don't like the idea of using my weakest finger for a key I'll be hitting hundreds of times a day. I'd much rather use my thumb for such a repetitive action, hence alt.

idk how everyone uses their pinky for ctrl on a standard keyboard, I've always used my ring finger instead

Wtf C-h k C-; stills shows it is mapped to flycheck

Attached: 0_0.jpg (236x234, 8K)

Oh, in org mode I still get C-; mapped to flycheck. But in a file with a programming language buffer I get iedit.
Close enough I guess.

Could you do something like this?:
(add-hook 'flycheck-mode-hook
(lambda ()
(local-unset-key (kbd "C-;"))))

You might have to add an additional form of (local-set-key ...) but I'm not sure.

Flycheck shouldn't be mapping C-; by default though?
Post your init.el

pastebin.com/rPrMfitr
It's a patched up mess tho.

>pastebin.com/rPrMfitr
Jesus christ.

Blue light damages your eyes (light themes have more blue light), see: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29976989
Dark-on-light encourages development of myopia (near sightedness), see: news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20207577

Your link is a huge logical fallacy
Just because humans prefer someone or because they do it naturally doesn't mean it's good for them.

Also fuck the spam filter, posting links to studies isn't spam you piece of shit. Let me submit already.

To my defense its actually an org mode file. I'm just posting the embedded emacs-lisp content

I never understood the appeal of something other than a simple one-file init.el. At most you keep your functions and your own major-mode/packages (duh) in separate files. Not attacking your setup, you do you of course, just find it weird.

GNU + Emacs

The Emacs project could do without GNU.

what font are you using in your emacs?

Anyway, point is that the C-; highjacking by flycheck by default has nothing to do with an explicit remapping of mine.

do people use the GUI version of emacs to get those variable font sizes on the bottom bars? or is that possible in terminal emulators somehow?

I have learn very basic stuff in Emacs, is elisp too complex to learn? I am a brainlet.

Shouldn't you be able to describe-key to see where it's getting mapped?

>This fucker freezes my Emacs.
Turn off linum mode

I was using Evil for some months but then I went vanilla. I swapped Ctrl with Alt in both sides. Much better to be honest, I follow Emacs recommendations for custom keybinds C-c + [letter].

So far it's comfy, I recomend using Helm but that depends on you (ido and ivy are comfy too).

no emacs for eclipse

github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/tree/develop

Doom-Emacs

Attached: 1534234620348.png (1532x944, 197K)

Anyone have an aesthetic css for org publish to html?
I tried to use the Twitter bootstrap package but I can't manage to make it work with org publish

Does /emacs/ use python?
I'm looking for something to generate function doctorings so that I just have to fill the blanks.

I found a theme based on ReadTheDocs, just include
#+SETUPFILE: github.com/fniessen/org-html-themes/blob/master/setup/theme-readtheorg.setup
at the top of your org file.

My fellow user, I gotta tell you that, your setup and what you are learning is top comfy.
Work on your rice skills and you will be posting in desktop threads in no time.

You can use redshift or other similar software to reduce blue light.
And your eyes pretty much stop growing after adulthood, so dark themes aren't really preventing anything.
Meanwhile, light themes help you focus more easily, which reduces strain on the eyes. Just make sure to lower your brightness and blue light.

Nice