Career change advice

I'm considering a career change into programming (worked in accounting for 2 years). Have a little experience in VBA and Python, mostly used to automate data extraction. How can I get a software engineering job?

Attached: 1560809641911.jpg (460x460, 28K)

teach yourself to code and then start applying to jobs, make a github with a small portfolio and you won't have trouble getting interviews
phrase your experience deceptively to emphasize that you code

How can I compete with the tens of thousands of people who have CS degrees and are also good programmers? How do I stand out?

your advantage is that you have experience. the field has high demand and having worked at all is a big advantage compared to the field of junior devs and grads with no experience or at most a few internships. companies hate hiring people who haven't worked a few years. spin your experience to make it seem more related to programming than it really is.
if you teach yourself and get decent it won't be that hard to make something out of it. but make sure you actually get good. also make sure you have realistic expectations.
alternatively you can study on your own for a while and then take a masters, which basically transforms your previous degree into whatever your masters was.

>people who have CS degrees
>good programmers
I don't think this Venn diagram is as weighted toward the middle as you think

CS Degrees are less employable than guys who did courses focused solely on programming.

Hmm I will have to do the first option, teach myself to code, because I definitely don't have the knowledge to do a CS Master's degree. And my undergrad GPA was pretty awful. Thanks for the tips.

One way is to leverage the knowledge that you already have. If you worked two years in accounting, I'm guessing you know the field somewhat. If you're eventually looking for programming jobs related to that, you'll have a step up on the competition. Else, just build a portfolio, and worse comes to worse, or best case scenario, depending on how you see it, whatever you build for it might let you do your own thing and enable you to starting working for yourself in some way.

yea I mean teach yourself to code is definitely where you start no matter what. I have sort of a similar background in that I did math and stats and had to teach myself all the CS and coding stuff on my own. when I got to grad school there was suddenly an expectation that I knew how to code at a fairly high level even though I never actually was taught much other than intro level stuff.
as far as how to teach yourself to code, I mean there's really no guide. you sort of just start doing it and googling/reading/messing around and shit. it's actually pretty fun if you figure out how to enjoy it. as time goes on you slowly get better.
from my experience though a huge suggestion for any self learner is to actually try and do projects, and also to try and make stuff that you can post on a github portfolio. I spent a few years in sort of a training cycle where I was reading and learning a lot of material but never actually using it in practice. I ended up forgetting a lot of it and never had projects from all that work I did to post on my portfolio. almost all of the projects I actually did were really useful and I still refer back to many of them.

You could check if your current employer offers positions that's a bit heavier on the programming side so you can learn on the job as addition to learning at home

How did you teach yourself. Did you just use books/online courses and build whatever projects interested you?

Oh I should've probably mentioned I'm not currently employed, had to quit a few months ago due for family reasons.

Make actual functional code on github to show off.

Dunno create a DIY cocktail maker with embedded code.
Functional webshop with machine learning.

nice quads, very, very, nice.
teaching myself was something that started in mid-high school and is continuing to today. there's really no single way I taught myself and I more or less think there really isn't a straightforward route. you just sort of start doing a bunch of different things. I learned a bunch of languages, did a lot of random projects, learned how to do this and that, messed around with this new thing for a while, needed to learn how to do so-and-so to get a certain thing done, and so on. I've tried a lot of different courses and books and approaches and I really can't recommend any single one, I ended up doing a ton of them and just sort of slowly got better. the thing to do is to just get started and burn alive until you get used to it.
these days I'm mostly learning stuff related to my job, which is things like parallelization, spatial statistics, distributed computing, optimization, various stochastic applied math methods, whatever new neat ML stuff is happening, and whatever my employer decides to train me in.
if you're not currently employed your focus should really be getting any decent job at all though, employers absolutely hate holes in your resume more than almost anything. I don't know how good you are at coding yet and whether you could get something like that yet but yeah I would say make sure you get something soon.

any chance for a gay black man? me and my boyfriend have been making amateur videos for a living, but recently hrt costs are unbearable how easy is it to get into coding

Attached: 16f9ad9tyk33.jpg (286x240, 13K)

>Make actual functional code on github to show off.

Recently made a github repo just to have some stuff I can show off but I'm a scientist and most of my shit is about setting up simulations, monitoring their progress and analyzing the results. which is all pretty specific to my simulation codes with little use for anyone else.
still a good idea to put it there just to have at least something on it?

Finding a job as a dev is fucking miserable if you are under 25 and dont have experience

>have portfolio with full stack sites
>just want an entry level webdev job or internship
>have some MTA certificates
>1 year CS Uni
>20 year old with no prior IT job experience
>barely anybody reads my CV let alone enter my github/site

Like i get it if you saw my portfolio and thought its trash but you fucking faggots could atleast open it, god how the fuck do i get a job.

Attached: 533215215.jpg (583x616, 27K)

yea employers love to see absolutely anything at all that shows you can actually code and have some technical ability. having done a few interviews myself now it's shocking how many people who will show up that actually can't code anything at all, like they would fail to implement something like the fibonacci sequence.

Dunno man be creative.

Like where do you want to end up?
Lets say IOT.
Learn how to program chips and then use your other knowledge about analyzing how much voltage your home uses, analytics and shit.

Cause i know recruiters who look at functionality rather than bling bling stuff from a PhD

nah you just got a free ride and probably a fake "developer evangelist" job or something slut

lmao imagine being a nigger and a faggot

Attached: 1558616611443.jpg (854x854, 56K)

>like they would fail to implement something like the fibonacci sequence.
Do they actually ask simple stuff like that? So far I didn't have any job interviews that involved coding so I'm not really sure what toe xpect.

I get sidewinded sometimes by that too.

Even though i can code chips in Embedded C.
And pull anything together they ask of me.
This needs to start read analog data that.
Get data to a REST server and make a graph.

Maybe its my tism, but i forget these simple questions.