/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1457817035029.png (1979x1983, 297K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freeaudiofoundation.bandcamp.com/track/linux-is-a-kernel-a-program-in-a-system
youtube.com/watch?v=Kjy9-RUONHg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reposting just in case

#
when you say terminal, do you mean true runlevel 3 or a terminal emulator? If the latter, then Synergy, Barrier, KDE Connect, and probably a bunch more stuff will do this. There's probably a ssh extension specifically for this.

freeaudiofoundation.bandcamp.com/track/linux-is-a-kernel-a-program-in-a-system

Attached: 1560869929995.jpg (700x700, 143K)

3rd for chromium is the best browser

Enjoy your botnet.

4th for please tasukete.

prove it

>Google
>prove it
You're kidding.

Attached: 1511996144180.jpg (497x357, 92K)

chrom*fags must die

With the nouveau driver, is there a way to get an xorg.conf file that matches my DE's display settings GUI (Xfce)? Like how the nvidia-settings tool does for the nonfree driver.

Alternatively, if I make a 20-virtual.conf file in xorg.conf.d that does nothing but define a virtual display and attach it to a device, will I need a complete xorg.conf to be defined or will everything still work without one? I have two display devices so I'm not sure if defining only one will cause problems.

Random search result. Enjoy.
Reminder that "open source" is a botnet washing machine.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-18-17-23-16.png (720x951, 290K)

there's literally no other decent browsers that can rival chromium
name one and i'll try it right now

Pale Meme.

What's a pdf viewer that has an equivalent ability to adobe's fill and sign tool?

GNU IceCat, Ungoogled Chromium

you missed the memes when pale started blacklisting extensions it doesn't like
the only conclusion is that pale moon either gets money from google or is google

> the only conclusion is that pale moon either gets money from google or is google
There's also the possibility that pale moon devs are simply stupid. No need for conspiracy.

i use chromium when performance > privacy and debotnetted firefox the rest of the time
people who recommend barely-maintained forks and meme browsers generally have no idea what they're talking about

i already tried both, gnu icecat is slow and ug chromium is a pain to use as a daily browser

>he doesn't unplug his mic and camera when not in use
When they start using my speakers as mics then we'll have a problem.

Imagine a clean slate. You have some money and you want a TV, a PC, a cellphone, speakers. What would you buy to ensure everything is free and compatible?

Bonus points for a 32'' that serves both as a TV and a monitor.

Attached: 100.jpg (1288x3200, 531K)

What's the difference between Puppet, Ansible and Vagrant?

So your absolute brainlet conclusion is giving into the botnet?

This is the base problem of our society and the reason why teaching people to care about their rights and their freedoms should be a priority.

Attached: 1551452459878.png (600x468, 245K)

>Posted a separate thread like a retard
I'm thinking of switching to Linux (Manjaro) from Win7 and I've got a couple of questions for experienced linux users if you guys don't mind humoring me. I plan on getting a Zen 2 CPU and either an RTX Super or one of the new graphics cards from AMD, all of which are yet to be released. How quick is hardware adoption on Linux? Will I be able to use the newest hardware in a timely manner or will I have to wait? I want to play video games, and from what I understand the situation is a lot better than it was years ago and keeps improving, but still isn't perfect. I'm willing to take a slight performance hit, as long as I can still play most games in a timely manner. I'm not adverse to fucking around in WINE, Lutris, ProtonDB or whatever else, but I DO need shit to work eventually. Video games are probably the biggest factor why I still haven't made the switch yet. I'm willing to browse wikis and forums to troubleshoot. Cheers in advance.

Attached: 1560609573359.png (500x500, 132K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518038440629.gif (360x270, 712K)

linux is shit, the game suppport is trash; in words: unusable

examples of dumb people thinking they are smart desu

Who changed the font of my creation? How rude.

if you want to play games don't switch to linux

But I don't want to become a win10 cuck

Linux is a kernel. It has plenty of games for the Android operating system available at the play store.

Automount is not woking in my Manjaro (using thunar). How do i fix it?

Attached: 1560404751956.png (680x680, 601K)

Don't listen to this guy The software available at Google Play is 99% malware.

>l00nix iz a kernal
How contrived.

when can we get a linux subsystem for windows?

Attached: better.jpg (474x473, 76K)

is there a black version like op?

Could never not see tux doing that pose whenever I saw the picture. Surely it isn't supposed to be that, so can't help but wonder what I should actually be seeing.

https:^)//nsa.gov

Source of RMS speech?

This poster has been exposed to feedwater. He is delusional.

Go up on the roof and take a look.

I'll give you a hint on where you should check to find the problem:
>what rolls down stairs,
>alone or in pairs,
>rolls over your neighbors dog?
>what's great for a snack,
>and fits on your back?

New to Linux, what is the best Linux OS to try? Ate proprietary drivers for my needs available? Which Linux OS provides the best support? I want to use Linux for nothing special, just gaming, youtube, etc.

>gaming
SteamOS

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1495651590478.jpg (399x266, 13K)

>had fun installing Linux in a VM
>don't feel like actually using it

Attached: 1545811751313.gif (500x275, 233K)

So all of a sudden, I start getting screen tearing ONLY on the very top maybe 1/4 inch of my screen. I can only see it when I actually have something up there that's moving, like in a full screen video, or the cursor in a full screen terminal, or dmenu.

what could possibly be causing this? I've been using compton for as long as I can remember to fix tearing, the config is just the default config with vsync enabled. I'm using Arch with i3.

What's a good mpv frontend (for videos)? And what's the best mpd-based music player?

Attached: 1518014956743.png (744x687, 65K)

sadly, the linux kernel provides everything you need for a gaming + youtube machine. distros dont really matter. if you make sure that you don't install a distro that respects your freedom, you'll reach your goal

All MPD-based music players are shit since none follow the mpd protocol 100%
Either just go mpd or go LMS with a different frontend

>respects your freedom
>by limiting your options

Attached: 1516727623008.jpg (800x400, 29K)

I just can't imagine what's going wrong in someone's brain that results in posting what you just posted. What the fuck is wring with you?

I just can't imagine what's going wrong in someone's brain that results in posting what you just posted. What the fuck is wring with you?

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>true freedom means I've the option to be a lave and cam etnslave others

A Linux noob who wants to game.
There's an OS for that.
What would you recommend, spaz?

Attached: 1551240023838.jpg (301x299, 20K)

That post was truly awful. It is painfully obvious that you do not belong here. But that is ok, there is a positive solution. Rather than trying to fit in, you should strongly consider going to a site more suited for posters like you, such as Reddit, Tumblr, or maybe even Gaia. You have plenty of options. You will be happy, and we will be happy. Best of luck, but don't come back. Bye!

Why would you use a free system for joining the botnet?

>free system
That's not what user asked for.
Learn reading comprehension.

Then don't?

Learn the roots of our community and what we think about proprietary systems.

>our community
kys

stallman-tier autists are a minority in the Linux community nowadays.

Because you're a pussy. You will never learn how to use the system like you learned using Windows because whenever sonething goes wrong, you go back to Windows.

Balls deep or >>>/lqbt/

Linux is a kernel

Then it's fortunate that "Linux" is just the kernel and not the whole OS. It's not good when proprietary shills invade and outnumber people who care about freedom.

>by limiting your options
How so?

Linux is a kernel

So how old is debian packages? will that be a problem for me? an arch user

GNU community*
THR linux community is pretty small compared.

Linux is a kernel

Based

>So how old is debian packages?
Not good but not terrible.
>will that be a problem for me?
Only if you undermine the fruits of your own labor.

>i3

Maybe you should stop using faggy meme "tiling wms" and use a legit DE like GNOME, XFCE, KDE, Cinnamon or MATE.

Yikes Reddit détectés

Debian was created in 1993, so the packages should be from around that time.

You'll never be able to go back to Debian-anything after Arch. Everything feels like shit without yay/AUR.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. Did you seriously just use a semantic argument, you sperg?

Upvoted + Hello fellow redditor.

Edit: Damn this blew up pretty fast. Thanks for the gold everyone.

No.

If I swap to linux then forgot I have done it at all does that mean I no longer need windows? Cause I'm playing arx fatalis while watching YouTube videos and feel like I'm missing nothing

>does that mean I no longer need windows
Yes.
Do yourself a favor; format and reclaim that space for based anime.

Youll never give a dry shit on the AUR when you realize it's just git clone and works on any distro. Kys Archfag.

Arx Fatalis is acceptable because it's available as free software.

You mean GNU.
Linux is only a kernel.

This poster has been exposed to feedwater. He is delusional. Take him to the infirmary.
based

Its already gone I installed linux over it

>This poster has been exposed to feedwater. He is delusional. Take him to the infirmary.

Attached: 1520381623809.gif (800x371, 193K)

GNU*

Linux is a kernel.

A program in a system.

This poster is undermining the fruits of his own labor.
This post is fine, I've seen worse.

i have never actually used Debian i went straight from windows to antergos to arch. i'm too used to the AUR desu lol.
not too bad!
i guess they are fine

i wanted to give up on my bspwm "efficient" and install something usable like gnome or kde and i figured why no go full Debian because stability

>i guess they are fine
I've seen worse.

Stop being autistic I'm not wasting my time typing GNU/linux every post when everyone clearly knows what is meant

I also played dead island and Skyrim gaming my is the main thing I do with my PC as there is literally no other way to entertain myself

youtube.com/watch?v=Kjy9-RUONHg
Why'd you bother installing GNU/Linux if he hasn't?

Those games are nonfree software, don't play them.
>there is literally no other way to entertain myself
Nonsense, there are many ways to entertain yourself without giving up your freedom.

type gnu then, it's shorter than linux

I'll type arch thank you
>Nonsense, there are many ways to entertain yourself without giving up your freedom.
Such as?