The absolute state of WSL2

>The host OS itself becomes a virtual machine.
superuser.com/a/905952
>The newest version of WSL uses Hyper-V architecture to enable its virtualization
>While at first we were quite excited about the prospects of WSL2 when hearing it was going to address the I/O bottleneck that plagued WSL1, unfortunately, after testing we are not all that enthusiastic. At least for now, WSL2 seems to run into much lower performance in real CPU/system workloads compared to WSL1 while at least the I/O performance is in better standing.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-10-wsl2&num=4
>You need to disable Hyper-V to launch FACEIT AC
>It is not possible to use the ESEA client while Hypervisor is enabled
>Why is my mouse lagging so much when hyper-v is enabled?
>The issue seems to be directly related to Hyper-V. Even though I stopped the VMs, it did not help. Once I completely removed Hyper-V, I had no issues at all - I was able to run all of the applications that caused the lag (and many more) with 0 lag.

Attached: virtualbox2.png (913x913, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/873
youtube.com/watch?v=ATnpEOo3GJA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

just dual boot windows and windows you brainlet
one for gaming and the other to run linux

>dualboot
That takes time, literally run a VM with gpu passthrough.

Attached: qemu.jpg (650x400, 36K)

>The host OS itself becomes a virtual machine.
there's no way this is true how would you use the gpu for youre system and for wsl2 at the same time

>this angers the gaymer

Can I use VMWare when Hyper is enabled?

no. and vbox is a piece of crap when using the hyperv backend since its not a priority for oracle

minor technological setbacks. They'll figure it out.

They said the same thing about WSL1. Pouring literally millions on it didn't made it any better.

>>The host OS itself becomes a virtual machine.
>how do hypervisors work?

yes hyperv is a type 1 hypervisor and it does run your main os like a vm, you can be pedantic but thats whats going on in the end
the problem is that to run wsl youll need to have it enabled
honestly i cant wait until it gets released just to watch the shitstorm

meanwhile linux can just run kvm, qemu, looking glass, and gpu passthru and perform 1000x better than winshit can

Or you can simply run SteamPlay for games, even a retard can do this.

B-but muh gaymes!!

Does anyone still have that stylized windows logo that says "muh gayms"?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 21.20.45.png (1303x865, 239K)

if you really watn to know how shit windows is
when i was running games with lookingglass i had lower latency (canon test) and everything else was vastly superior because of ext4 with my nvme
even macos could probably have the same gains if you had a similar setup and apple didnt locked down the os like they do

I just dual boot, and I don't allow Windows to connect to the internet.

We had this thread yesterday
Also there is not a single thing that is unusual about Windows 10 running under Hyper-V, some are running a configuration like this and not even know it as it is transparent to the user
Windows 10 still has direct access to hardware

Attached: truegrit.jpg (601x508, 94K)

>Windows fs is such a huge pile of shit that even MS gave up on it

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

>github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/873
>08/2016
>PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE WORK THROUGH THESE HUGELY COMPLEX ISSUES.
I feel sorry for the developers. You can't fix decades of shit stacked over more shit.

Attached: b.jpg (460x288, 29K)

install gentoo

I just said looking glass, gpupass & kvm, numb nuts..
that is for gaming.

One time I found out that HyperV locked the processor into some weird power state where it consumed WAY more power than normal. Don't know if that's a specific issue with my CPU+Mobo or what.

>even macos could probably have the same gains
you actually can
youtube.com/watch?v=ATnpEOo3GJA
>You can't fix decades of shit stacked over more shit.
then why did they kill ReFS for consumers?

> >The newest version of WSL uses Hyper-V architecture to enable its virtualization
MS said "fuck this gay translation shit, let's pull Docker on Windows pt.2" and basically canned the WSL in its initial form. These are good news because there's minimal difference between Linux in WSL2 or Linux in Hyper-V/VMWare Player/VirtualBox.

>These are good news because there's minimal difference between Linux in WSL2 or Linux in Hyper-V/VMWare Player/VirtualBox.
except THE ABYSMAL PERFORMANCE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE AHAHAHAHAH check the phoronix benchmarks you fucking shill
vmware doesn't have this problem (but fuck vmware)

sir why are you spreading lie

>millions
What is that paying like 7 devs at microsoft to work on it for 2 years

>you need to emulate another os to play gayms on linux

>you need to emulate another os and your own os to work on winblows

>you need to emulate another os to play gayms on linux

>ReFS for consumers
LOL. Once my ReFS partition got corrupted due to a power loss and i lost my entire cluster volume. Shit was hell for my company that day. Good thing we use veeam, just restored the hell out of all my vm nodes.

NEVER. USE. REFS. EVER. AGAIN. Corrupted = goodnight sweet prince

tl;dr LTSC wins again and OP is assblasted about not being able to play shit video games where you need to pay for a rootkit to be able to play without hackers in every game.

>yes hyperv is a type 1 hypervisor
On *server* operating systems, that's true. Win 8/8.1/10 workstations run "Client Hyper-V" which is a type 2 hypervisor.

christ microflaccid is so incompetent

Lol

Did someone say VIDEO GAMES?!?

Attached: 1526649079127.gif (413x243, 51K)

In fairness. WSL simply can't be updated fast enough. It gets lumped in with all the other windows bullshit in overly conservative qa

In fairness, there isn't a jesus patch coming to save WSL1. Ever. And WSL2 is doomed already.

no you don't, 99% work just fine

however with windows, only 15% of programs work just fine.