/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a SUPER series that will reportedly see 20 series cards bumped by ~15% performance while retaining their price points. More info on the SUPER series possible on 6/21.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1519487450814.png (2000x2000, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/phantom/
pcpartpicker.com/list/cvM7KB
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is it july yet

Attached: 1539228983541.jpg (1280x720, 82K)

Speaking of gaymen HW wars, is nvidia going to have the balls to undercut their RTX GPUs with the super series? 5700 already looks like it wipes the floor with the 2060.

Attached: amd_radeon_rx_2-100798966-orig.jpg (1999x1119, 221K)

RENEWED RM650X, $50
COP OR NAH?

Super series will take current price brackets of 60, 70, 80 cards. The previous cards will lower in price.

What cooling for about 40$ should i get for ryzen 2600 oc?
Considering gelid phantom gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/phantom/

>Nvidia is rumored to be releasing a SUPER series that will reportedly see 20 series cards bumped by ~15% performance while retaining their price points
meh just got 1080Ti for $350. Should carry me ttill 30 series arrive.

Just getting into PC building and fuck this is such a deep rabbit hole

Info in the topic is v helpful though, thanks OP

Attached: 1511562653374.png (196x281, 143K)

>this is such a deep rabbit hole
legos with screws

xd

Why is it so fucking hard to find a decent 27" monitor around $250? Literally everything is peppered with bad reviews.

this would make a 2080 a no brainer for memetracing@1080p

Why does everyone here trash people who want to get 32 gigs of RAM? Sure, for most users it's overkill right now but further down the line it's bound to become the new standard and prices haven't been this low for a long ass time and are predicted to rise. We mainly saw two types of people when 8GB started to become too little and 16GB took over as the norm:

A) Those who went "overkill" and got 16GB from the start (same people everyone seems to still be hating and ridiculing)
B) those who opted for 8GB and then had to endure living with 8GB of RAM for the duration of their rigs lifespan because they didn't want to spend any additional money on an aging system (during the shift to DDR4 the older DDR3 stocks became really overpriced and late-gen it was almost impossible to find complement RAM to add to an existing DDR3 system for a reasonable price making it cheaper and easier to just get a new mobo and DDR4 if you didn't want to go the pre-owned route)

Is everyone here predicting that DDR4 will be replaced by what is rumored to be a very short lived DDR5 or perhaps even DDR6 before 32GB becomes mainstream or are you guys just cheap? I can totally understand the advice if someone asks for help in building a super tight budget rig but if you're gonna splurge $1500 on a new system you might as well add like $50 for 32GB of RAM for the peace of mind. People love to recommend 8c/16t for future proofing but still don't seem to opt for 32GB of RAM for the same reason.

Applying the thermal paste and getting compatible parts is as hard as it gets.

Attached: 1560723949660.jpg (640x863, 224K)

So I think it's getting time to replace my 5 year old 1TB SSD. I dual boot Linux and windows on it. I already have a 500GB m2 ssd I plan on using for Windows.
I was thinking a 250GB SATA SSD for Linux and just getting a 2TB Seagate HDD for cold storage. Yea or nay?

Good post.
I'm getting 32 for the reasons you listed, but if DDR5 or 6 are a prospect that's both near and radical I might be persuaded otherwise.
Also the thing is some people (like myself) would spend the same amount on better quality 16gb if they were convinced 32gb was unnecessary, so the longevity is really something to consider independent of price for some people. You're right that a lot of the time people can't be arsed to upgrade even if they told themselves at the start of the build that they would, or if they want to, they might not find it good value, because the way ram/the ram economy works makes old ram spike in price/drop in availability right when more of it is needed to catch up to new standards of ram quantity.
And since buying new speed/generation ram requires starting over, if longevity is any concern at all, more seems to be the better choice from the outset.

>getting compatible parts

And there's the rabbit hole

It's hard to pick the parts you want when you don't even know what you want in the first place

Whats a good price range to find a 1080p 144hz monitor?

Depends what you want
>panel/picture quality
>latency
>size
I'm not in the market for 1080p but the brick and mortars where I went window-shopping had brand names in the ~200-250 eurobux range. (And none at 1440p!)

>this is such a deep rabbit hole
>legos with screws
It's rabbit holes with screws.

What would be a complete build for the RX 5700 XT with no bottlenecking and how much would it cost approximately?
Apparently non of my old parts can support that card or the 3600x cpu.

I just want to play Cyberpunk on Ultra at 1080p 60fps.

Attached: 1560831045276.jpg (4320x1600, 2.63M)

I found out what was making my pc not turn on after restarting. It's the Ryzen Master. This piece of shit does that all the time, it did it when i first tried to OC the cpu with it.

But now I need to figure how to OC the Vega iGPU. Changing GFX Clock on the bios doesnt do shit.

Did noctua release their cool black cpu coolers yet? Waiting for this to release to make my new build.

>overclocking by any other means but BIOS
What the fuck are you doing

Anons how do I pick a motherboard? Want a rig with a ryzen 5 and either an rx 590/gtx 1660 but Idk what fuggin motherboard to buy

Attached: 1533598902759.jpg (480x468, 20K)

pcpartpicker

a ryzen 5 what. 1600, 2600, 3600?

>was gonna wait for nhd15 to come in before putting computer together
>decide fuck it and throw my old hyper 212 on 9700k
>temps dont go over 55 on any game
god this thing is still so godly

Attached: 167554342.jpg (466x466, 28K)

msi b450 tomahawk is pretty much the default answer for that. good motherboard, good price.

The rabbit holes are just spider traps for idiot's money.

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 209K)

If you can only play videgoames for an hour, its fine.

>3,64,000
?

Yeah I was tossing up between that and the gigabyte b450m ds3h. Any reason to go with the Tomahawk?

It has better VRMs than the d3sh iirc. And gigabyte has a trash BIOS

So I'm looking for a new monitor, going to sit approximately 4 feet away from it though. I thought I wanted an IPS/VA monitor for the viewing angle, but they are all so expensive. I am wanting to stay under $250. Should I just settle for a TN?

I refuse to buy a new GPU until the prices drop, I don't care if I'm still rocking my 760 in 10 years.

Aight cheers man.

Attached: Everything will be great.png (1520x1126, 1.59M)

ive left bf5 on for hours still 49-54

should I jump in or wait a little more?

Attached: laptop ram.png (876x511, 48K)

We don't know what the system requirements of Cyberpunk will be. That said, it's pretty easy to run games at 1080p 60fps. You're probably safe with any Ryzen 5 or better CPU. I'd suggest waiting for the 3600 and just get the cheapest x570 board when it comes out.

Should I get a MAG341CQ or a XG32VQ as a wide monitor?

TN panels are fine these days. Unless you're an artist who needs color-perfect displays in order to produce quality work, you don't need to pay the premium because you won't notice a difference.

Anybody have an estimate of how a 3600X will compare to an i7 4790? I'm going to have to switch motherboard anyway but I'd like to know the performance increase I'll be getting, especially with new, high speed RAM.

>not appreciating the look of the brown fans
>>>/reddit/

Holy shit. What has caused the price drop? I was planning on waiting until Prime Day on July 15th before buying anything for a new pc, but will the prices keep going down before then?

Buy the RAM when you need it.

If you don't need it now, keep waiting and the price will be even lower. It has been plummeting for years and it's not going to stop.

If you do need it now then buy it, use it, and enjoy it without worrying about the possibility of saving 5 bucks or so.

That said why are you considering paying $85 for 16GB of 2400MHz RAM? You can get quality 3200MHz sticks for that much.

best 1080p 144hz monitor?
Apparently the only major downside of ViewSonic XG2401 is the viewing angles but when are you not looking directly at your monitor?

So right now, there's very little information on what sort of mouse to choose for your desktop setup. Standard reply is "get any cheap mouse" or "buy most popular expensive gaming mouse." There's no clear answer why, other than pricing/comfort. But afaik, there's a bit of an issue with many modern mouse that experience button/switch issues very early on in their life. The supposed rated "20 million" or "50 million" or etc are just pure useless as the mouse experience button issues within a year or so on average and few weeks/months in many instances.

Now this likely shouldn't be an issue for someone who only uses their mouse for general purpose use or even light gaming that don't require extensive mouse use, but if you're playing any game(diablo/pathexile/mmo/cookie clicker/etc) that requires extensive use of clicking/holding buttons, modern mouse are total garbage.

The stupid answer to the problem is to just change mouse ever few months-every few year until you hit a lucky break. The brainlet answer is to replace the switch inside the mouse via solder. However the best you can hope for is to buy the older mouse like MX518 or G9 or whatever and they will last 5-10+ years without any button issues for your usage, however those are sold at mark up of 500%+ and usually sells for $100+.

ASUS VG278HV

Get them now. Ryzen 3xxx is going to drive these prices to the sky.

Based on early benchmarks, the 3600X will likely be about 25% faster in lightly-threaded workloads (like most games) and about twice as fast in heavily-threaded workloads compared to the i7-4790.

>Cancelled Product
Maybe something I can actually buy?

when i raise gfx clock on bios , it doesnt actually change

thanks. I'll be getting it next month then since it's on a downward trend for a while
it's a laptop ram and locked to 2400mhz on my device

Does the samsung crg9's pbp work with linux?

I keep seeing it. It keeps happening. Why, just why in 2019 are you guys still buying Intel? Am I not informing enough? Do you need more detailed statistics? What do I have to do to make you guys avoid Intel? You still buy their overpriced boards, you still buy their awful price to preformance cpu's, you still have no problems buying a processor filled with security flaws. Have I not been helpful? Is it the lack of a tripcode? There are anons in this very thread right now that are still building their PCs with Intel. When will you listen to me? Just how much more money are you going to waste on Intel products? Do you enjoy getting ripped off? Do you enjoy using a processor riddled with exploits? I just don't get it...

Would an ASRock B350 Pro4 be enough for a 3600 or should I invest in a B450 board instead?

From what I can see online, it doesn't have any software package, so that SHOULD mean it's PBP is done on the monitor itself with the OSD.

From what i've read online it supports two 16:9 input, or 21:9 and 11:9.

Buy Used you moron. Fuck just find a guy you can get hand me down cheap or free locally.

That's nice.

Pc part does that automatically.

I think what that user means is that even using the compatibility filter on PCPP, there are a lot of choices with a wide range of prices. What are the optimal parts for a specific budget? Will I get noticeable performance increases if I spend more? Those are probably the questions he's unsure of, and from the sounds of it, doesn't even know what his budget should be.

>black guy
>americano whiteish mutt girl

>sjw hair white girl
>asian sjw hair guy

>white dominatrix
>ultra cucked white guy in mask

>the chad tyrone
>white girl

like pottery.
with that said

>non of my old parts can support that card or the 3600x cpu.
are you running ryzen rn? if so why wouldnt they fit?

According to AMD, B350 support for Zen 2 CPUs will be spotty.

According to ASRock, they will support Zen 2 on all of their AM4 boards.

The data is conflicting, wait for more information IMO.

That said, most B450 boards are really cheap as is, how much does B350 really save? $10? Not worth the hassle.

So am I correct in my understanding that static pressure fans are designed to push/pull the air really hard, while high airflow fans are designed to push/pull a large volume of air instead?

Pic somewhat related

Attached: peanuts.jpg (456x606, 29K)

It comes with a cd. It isnt for pbp but some window snapping tool. The user manual says pbp is compatible with windows but does not mention linux or mac os at all.

If I go for a B450 board I was looking into an MSI B450 Tomahawk, one of the better B450 boards but it's around $100. I have a mATX case so I'd have to pick up an ATX case, preferably a Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK which is also around $100. I'd rather keep my B350 board for Ryzen 2 and only switch mobos when AMD eventually changes sockets. I haven't seen many good B450 mATX boards either, most of the good ones are ATX boards.

maybe non shit monitors at that price doesnt exist and fit your demands

what do you mean by best? for pure gaming? or for pure budget. after a bit there's crossover to 240hz panels if they start going to high in cost so you might aswell get that past a certain point

does it say it will support 3000 series? then also you have the issue dealing with flashing new bios on them. only msi and asus crosshair have that support so you might aswell get something like b450 toma to avoid having a cpu to flash it with

Your argument applies to everything but gaymen, which is what /pcbg/ is largely centered around. The security flaws that keep being found in Intel chips is really bad, but if all you do is game the mitigation are negligible. I still personally wouldn't buy an Intel cpu, but that's just me.

How do I cover up these wires on the bottom of my mobo? Im using a core p5 case with a horizontally mounted gpu. Putting a toy seems tacky and a stat screen seems unnecessary. Looking for suggestions or ideas.

Attached: 20190618_223647.jpg (4032x3024, 3.54M)

Has any more information been released regarding the x470 boards and zen2? I want to get a 3900x and use a x470 Asus Crosshair Hero VII. I really have no need for a x570, especially when the Hero VII can be gotten for around $200.

Will I be able to hook pic related up to pcpartpicker.com/list/cvM7KB
I got the speakers for my birthday back in October, and their still in the box.

Attached: 11383CD3-E6BF-422A-A947-B791177FE212.jpg (1155x662, 164K)

a RGB fan

Is B-die ram still "the best" memory? Or are the $80 16GB kits just as good now? Been out of the loop for a few months.

You can try routing the cables to go underneath the motherboard if you can fit it and the cables are long enough.

Is Dark Rock 4’s stock thermal paste enough for a 2600X, or should I just go with Arctic Silver?

Attached: 0E5C4558-9974-45C3-9436-C16E3D23733B.png (245x280, 269K)

Graphite thermal pad.

Just get Ballistix LT Sports, it's not B-die but it overclocks about the same at around half price.

What is the next point in time in which there are major upgrades to enough relevant hardware to warrant waiting until then to build? I'm in no rush so I'm just curious as someone out of the PC parts game for a while.

I'm guilty of being the fag who thinks its eternally 1 year away from the perfect time to build a PC.

The hardware after next gen consoles come out? Even the low end hardware should be oozing with VRAM by that time, given the huge unified memory of new consoles.

B-die is still the best and is no longer being produced. Hynix cjr comes close in memory clocks but at the cost of looser timings.

>Is bequiet's thermal paste good or should I use some of the worst thermal paste that can't possibly be better instead
?????????????????????????????????????????///////////////

Yet to be seen how Samsung A-die is, whether ti's better or worse. Until then, yes B-die is at least 5% better than the next best 8GB DIMMs which isn't insignificant.

Indian rupees I presume

Newfag here, is flashing bios hard? I want to get a Asus Crosshair x470 and use zen2 with it.

No.

Cool, are you pretty experienced with it?

You get a usb and stick it in there.
Most mobo's don't even require a cpu to boot it anymore.

well shit, that does sound easy. Thanks!

>470gtx dying
What absolute poverty tier card would you guys replace it with?

Attached: tired erika.png (1260x1150, 847K)

2400G iGPU is better than it, isn't it?
Then you could replace whatever trash CPU and RAM you're running with it as well.

i just replaced my dead gtx460 with a used 960 that cost 50 bucks while I delay building a new PC

i can play new games with decent medium settings even with my potato i7 930

RX560 should be better, $80. Other than that you are looking at awful poorfag shit like the GT710

A hundo dollar RX 570 will blow it away

That only depends on what monitor is used, what resolution and Hz is the target. Diminishing returns are a thing if you're on a budget or just don't really want to overpay for something you don't strictly "need".

>A hundo dollar RX 570
Show me one. New.

That would end up being around 200 usd because my ram is incompatible. Ill see if I can make that work it seems like a better move.
thanks

Is selling a GPU on Ebay really as simple as it sounds? As in I just wrap it in anti-static shielding, throw it back in its box, and ship it away?

What if the seller tries any funny business, claiming the card doesn't work?

>waiting for 7th of July
>current PC can barely handle 2k, let alone the 4k my monitor is capable of

Attached: on-fire.jpg (1200x1200, 106K)

I'm more excited to see the RTX super refreshes and to see if it's worth paying current full price for one or buy current RTX equivalent for cheaper.