Steam is DRM

Steam is DRM

Attached: 524108AC-E7AB-4842-858B-E16D0AFBFA70.jpg (900x700, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Big if true

kek

>Cyberpunk 2077
>Bloodstained
>Doom Eternal
>Baldur's Gate 3

2020 is a good year for videah. Postpone suicide, user,

Wrong board lil-zoom

not necessarily, steam does not force the developer to implement steam-drm, it's a service they offer the publisher, there's many drm-free games on steam.

Watch out for that new steam matchmaking api they're pushing on devs though...

4channel is google drm

Nope, Steamworks DRM is optional and there are plenty of DRM free games being sold on Steam.

steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

True, Which is why anyone who cares about their freedoms should buy on GOG

Steam is good DRM

>Good DRM
Words only uttered by the long-nosed tribe.

Steam is bluepilled and nigged

What is DRM?

Normie go home

Easy DRM to slip by dumb ass, so it’s practically not even REAL drm like denuvo. Even though Denuvo is just a temporary wall more than a real drm also.

Attached: 86D485A5-FF25-411D-A9D6-C1AE1170CCC4.gif (349x165, 1.94M)

NOTICE TO CHATTER: The Federal Bureau of Investigation has logged a record of this chat along with the IP addresses of the participants due to potential violations of U.S. law. VIOLATION: Solicitation of a minor. IMPORTANT WARNING: If you think this chat session was logged in error, please state your reasons to the F.B.I. agent currently monitoring this chat and quote the reference number #2334531343. Failure to do so within the next 2 minutes will result in your IP and address being entered into our criminal data base and legal action.

Your IP address has been logged by the Child Internet Service Protection Agency. Please wait while memory ref code "502695151" is entered into the database.

Google DRM retard zoomer

DVD is DRM

yeah it fucking sucks and they also don't fix any bugs on mac os x

you can crack any game with steam drm using a gui tool if you really hate it

It is DRM, but I don't really know why it exists. It's extremely easy to crack and valve knows that, so it definitely doesn't exist to stop pirates from getting games for free.

At its core Steam is clearly a distribution platform, not DRM. They offer developers a free DRM implementation but you don't have to use it. And saying "when Steam ceases to exist you can't download your games anymore so it's DRM" is fucking stupid. The same thing can be said happens when your CD breaks and is unreadable after 15 years.
I know some of you are just too retarded to know how Steam development works, but it honestly baffles me, to all you idiots who aren't just clueless about this topic, why you insist that steam is DRM? What are you trying to do by doing this? Do you gain anything with it? If you just want to badmouth Steam to damage its reputation there would be a million other points that actually hold some ground.

This. Why is this board so fucking retarded when it comes to DRM.

Lil' zoomie boomie. Lil' zoom zoom. Zoomster boomster. The Zoomering. The Zoomerang.

and that is why you should always use gog exclusively

The bigger problem is that steam is nonfree software.

Also gog as anime girl as mascot. Gog chan

Attached: gog chan.jpg (680x680, 135K)

At least GoG openly shits on Linux users while Steam panders to the disgusting nerds who infest this place.

Attached: arch.jpg (291x173, 15K)

i guess that is why they sell linux games, including games that are actualy for windows but will set up a wine enviroment pre configured for the game to work on linux right? like baldurs gate 1 and 2 that i already played on my linux and works

If you can't play some game game downloaded from steam on some old pc you have around that's drm my friend.
Like it or not is a form of crippling your playing.

lots of games on steam don't need steam running to be able to play them

Steam has a DRM-like feature but it's not required for developers to use it, as was already said.

Except that was done by the publisher. GoG won't even bother porting their Electron app to Linux.

>their Electron app
you mean galaxy? 2.0 is going to be open source and will have a linux release. why would they put effort into their old client when they have a new one on the way

They've been promising a Linux release for years. It's never going to happen.

Can we also finally agree that it was entrapment?

Attached: The Ballad of Vincent Ambrosio.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

>if you can't play crisis 3 on your old PC that's a form of DRM
Do you know how retarded you sound?

Can you show me an example of buying a game on Steam, then downloading the installer and being able to use this installer in the future without any access to Steam or the internet?

No?

It's DRM you silly half-wit.

>2.0 is going to be open source and will have a linux release.
[Citation needed]

> Can you show me an example of buying a game on Steam, then downloading the installer and being able to use this installer in the future without any access to Steam or the internet?
Imagine inventing your own definition of DRM just to prove that Steam platform is DRM while GoG isn't, and failing at that.

THEY WOULD NOT USE STEAM IF IT DIDN'T COME WITH DRM
WHY ARE YOU GAMERS LITERALLY SO RETARDED
>hurrdurr they don't HAVE to add the drm
BUT THEY DO BECAUSE STEAM ENCOURAGES IT TO KEEP PEOPLE LOCKED INTO THE PLATFORM

2.0 is also an electron app, it's the only way they'll get it on linux (if you're correct) because there's no fucking way a company on the edge of bankruptcy is going native on all platforms
the fact that they haven't ported the old electron client doesn't give much hope for 2.0

Gog is a store smoothbrain, is Amazon DRM? Is newegg DRM? Please go back to /v/

encryption is DRM. have you encrypted any of your hard drives user? don't lie to me user

Correct, none of those are DRM and neither is Steam.

cool now explain how to install those games without installing the steam client

copy them onto a USB stick and drag and drop?
Steam is trash and I don't use it at all but not all games on Steam have DRM, that much is absolute fact.

Just copy the directory; half of those don't even have installers.

>copy them
>copy the directory;
copy what

Steam is a monopoly. Reddit niggers dont care though because muh based gaben lol muh sales.

>copy them onto a USB stick

And where do you get the files from brainlet? You have to use steam to get the files.

For example, Goat Simulator works just fine when copied onto a computer without Steam. It just won't save your progress because that goes into the Steam cloud.

It's also a massive botnet. Glad I don't use this garbage.

Like you have to use GoG to get the files, yes.

You also have to use GOG's website to get the files. You actually need an account and have to pay for the games to have them available for download.
GOG is DRM.

>copied
what are you copying

an account for GOG is 100% necessary for the transaction to happen in the first place
installing a client onto your computer is not necessary

Are you making an argument that fs a product is officially distributed via a server that requires username and password to download it, then this product has DRM, but if the same product byte-to-byte is officially distributed via a server that does not require username, then the product has no DRM?

I dont need to use a launcher and program to download gog and gog explicitly has no DRM titles.

You have to be a literal cuckold to defend steam cornering 90 percent of the PC market.

I think your point is "steam does not actively fight DRM" and not "steam is DRM".

So? Whether you have a launcher or not has nothing to do with DRM. Your rights are being managed digitally through the account. Also GOG has quite a few games that require Galaxy to even have working multiplayer (mp won't work without Galaxy installed), that's also DRM.

> I dont need to use a launcher and program to download gog and gog explicitly has no DRM titles.
You keep coming up with new definitions of DRM thinking it's going to convince anyone. By now you should see that it doesn't.

Everybody except schizophrenic steamcucks see that installing a DRM client is DRM

Incorrect, Steam is a distribution platform. The DRM involved is called CEG, or Custom Executable Generation.

There are in fact many games on Steam that do not feature DRM and can be copied to any PC and run directly after download. An very incomplete list can be found here (it however has been unupdated for a long while):

gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

Unless source code is distributed with the binary, it's DRM, as simple as that.

Steam has DRM and is DRM though, it just so happens by that definition SOME things on steam are "DRM free". Even still the barrier to install " DRM free " content on steam is more extensive and also means installing their program on your system.

Its not DRM its the only way to have a working multiplayer. Even if it was I wouldnt be attacking the minor player that is gog over the giant of steam. Gog is much needed alternative and too small.

I'm not even the same poster as original. Steamniggers are so cucked

>Whether you have a launcher or not has nothing to do with DRM
yeah it does, if you're installing a client for no reason other than the company wants to control your product, that's DRM
>Also GOG has quite a few games that require Galaxy to even have working multiplayer (mp won't work without Galaxy installed)
because that's necessary, most steam games don't need the client

Steam is content delivery system. It lets you download whatever is available for your account. This is not DRM. DRM is about actively prohibiting users from distributing media. You could argue that steam integration is used by game devs to create DRM - making it impossible to launch their game without steam running - but that's them adding DRM with assistance of steam.

>Its not DRM its the only way to have a working multiplayer.
>because that's necessary
So how did those games have working multiplayer the for the last 20 years without Galaxy? Oh right, you got the server software with the game and you can just directly connect to the target server IP. Your excuse is fucking retarded they make your use ther DRM client to play online.

the game files, what else?

I'm pretty sure no one is so stupid as to defend GoG online for free. Right?

Steam does have DRM thats why for so many programs you need a DRM steam stripper like steamlesseven if they lack something like denuvo. Steam has DRM and even on the titles that are "DRM free" you have to use their launcher and go through hoops to download the "DRM free" copy.

Example I'll give is rimworld. I buy on ludeons site, I can run the game off a download I get there. On steam I have a key and I have to use the steam program to install the same files.

FUCK OFF EPIC CHIINKTARDS

They are literally remaking multiplayer titles to work effectively that are ancient and youre bitching they dont use some subhuman piece of shit direct connect or ressurect GameSpy lmao

You literally did not read my post. This is a copy of what I replying to.

and how do you get the game files

Wow, same with GoG. You have to actually enter the code (or purchase the game) and only then you'll be able to download it. Doesn't make it DRM, just like this doesn't make Steam DRM.

>DONT MESS WITH BASED GABEN MONOPOLYYYYYYYY

>>>/reddit/

No, I am bitching that they remove the option to direct connect to enforce their DRM. Nobody forces you to use direct connect if DRM was an OPTION, brainlet.

What?

Entering code /=/ installing an entire program to download files

steam still isnt drm

>you have windows xp
>you have a game that runs on windows xp
>you can't tun the game because steam no longer supports windows xp
Steam blobs will defend this

DRM is about preventing redistribution, how you get game files is irrelevant. If steam does not prevent you from redistributing game files, steam is not DRM.

And?

Lan with hamachi or something if you want direct connect.

Comparing the two is asinine. Its like telling me "well you still own the game you just need to install this keylogger to download it instead of downloading it off your browser".

DRM is about preventing redistribution, this is irrelevant to the issue of DRM. If a game requires you to install a keylogger but lets you share it freely, it's not DRM.

Fine if you want to be obtuse go ahead. Steam is still a giant and practical monopoly.

People here are telling you that coming up with your definition of DRM, which is different from the commonly accepted definition, and then saying that Steam is DRM is asinine. You might as well call Steam fascist because for you personally it feels this way.

>DRM is about preventing redistribution,
no it's about controlling your products, that's the definition

You're thinking about Epic Game Store, not Steam.

Even if I'm wrong about it being DRM it doesnt change the first thing I said in the thread which was that it is a monopoly. I may be wrong about it being DRM I can accept it, however it DOES have the capability of being DRM in the cases of many titles

Epic games isnt a monopoly you dumb fucking nigger. Its much smaller than steam.

Cope steamcuck

Indeed, Steam provides some basic DRM capabilities and most games on the platform use them. No one is arguing with that.

Attached: proofster.jpg (950x632, 36K)

Steam is literally DRM though, by definition.

Gog however, isn't.

I can copy the files of ANY game that uses DRM... retard.