Why is dark UI becoming so popular?

It seems that, in recent years, there has been a massive shift towards dark themes. A lot of software now has it as the default, while often not even offering a light mode?
What caused this change? User interfaces used to be light, looking more like printed text on paper. Hell, the default xterm colors, for instance, have always been black on white, not the other way round.
Is everyone catering to basement dwellers now? Why is it now considered unusual to work in proper light conditions?

Attached: dark_ui_dashboard_hd.jpg (2304x1440, 292K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_make_GIMPs_interface_colorful_and_happy_(again)
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20207577
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

beause a low contrast ratio is more ergonomic in design, and lets people work longer without eye strain.

did you really just say that low contrast makes you strain your eyes less

Dark themes are soulless.

Attached: System4b.png (960x658, 125K)

low power usage

>black pixel dunt make my eye hurt
you are still staring at a bright screen retard, it causes strain no matter what

Attached: bn.png (197x307, 40K)

Massive meme unless you have an OLED display.
Besides, light colors allow you to lower your brightness and still have readable text.

Attached: when-an-elderly-relatives-says-something-incredibly-stupid-116839.gif (377x282, 1.05M)

>trannies living rent free in user's head

t. pronouns in bio

Dilate

obligatory
linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_make_GIMPs_interface_colorful_and_happy_(again)

at that point lower the brightness dumbass. that has nothing to do with the theme.

Because phones, tablets and even some laptops have OLED screens. The black pixels are turned off completely, making you save battery.

I just think it looks cool, sue me.

>ramps up brightness levels to make it readable
>saves battery

uses less energy and it looks better

Some white pixels at full brightness still consume less power than the entire screen at lower brightness. OLED, nigger.

Wrong. Well, it depends. On OLED the pixels are turned off if it's 100% black. However, they are not on a lot of dark themes which uses less tan 100% black.

All other monitors use _more_ energy displaying black than white. Yes, really.

I said it once, and I'll say it again: dark themes are soulless.

>what are OLED screens

Because some people don't want to become nearsighted: news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20207577

>caring more about potential energy consumption than your personal comfort
How to spot a bugman 101

What if dark themes are more comfortable to my person?

stay on your computer until 2am in a dark room then switch to a full white screen

Becauuse even masses now realize that staring at source of light is not the same as staring at surface that reflect light.

>screen is blasting you with backlight even when its "dark"
>lower eye strain

That's just LCDs being shit as usual.

> in a dark room
turn on the light incel, you pay an electrical bill for a reason

Dark theme was how we started and now we're finally coming home again

Attached: dark theme.jpg (500x349, 32K)

Looks good if it's done right. Not a blurry mess like the op's pic.

based

why would I turn on the light if the theme makes no difference?

blacked

No, it wasn't. It was a technical necessity on old terminals where displaying dark text on a light background wasn't feasible.
The moment graphical interfaces became popular, and this was no longer necessary, everyone chose dark text on light background, for good reason.

Attached: Dv8hiy5U0AAamFV.jpg (1200x1200, 269K)

because looking at a bright screen in a dark room is bad

This. Ignore the idiot replies, anyone who works long hours in front of a monitor knows this.

prove it

Not everyone works in bad light conditions, user.

News flash: a dark display is still a light source.

Yeah, that's why e-ink and paperwhite have failed so spectacularly amongst people who read for hours and hours.

Attached: 5_Goes_Beyond_800x552._CB481373686_.jpg (800x552, 51K)

The only thing that actually causes eye strain is blue light, which can be reduced simply by using a red light filter.
Besides, contrary to popular belief, many dark themes actually contain more blue light than their light counterparts, see Solarized.

>Dynamic Lisp Listener

shine a flashlight in your face

And?

E-paper isn't a light source, faggot.It's entirely reflective. Thus no eye-strain no matter what.

Because it's cool/professional/stylish/whatever.

And this makes your statement completely irrelevant, as a display is a light source regardless of the actual colors used.

its not about bad light conditions.. dark display is better and more comfortable on the eyes even during the day.

Ok retard.

but a light source with much lower intensity, brainlet.

because it reflects the state of society

>america being niggerized
Makes sense.

case in point

Trends but it's also easier on the eyes. Most UI design is trends or UX developments.

(((A S T H E T I C)))

Attached: wallhaven-473367.jpg (1438x806, 149K)

>no eye-strain no matter what
Mate, have you ever read a book? Reading anything up close is straininig on the eyes.

What's Jewish about that?

You'll strain less your eyes with black characters on white backgrounds.

Dark themes are a meme.

>he doesn't have OLED
loser

Hackers wanna hack...

I personally much prefer dark themes. That's all the justification I need.

"However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis"

"The clean appearance of the screen comes mostly from laziness, but the color scheme is (obviously) deliberate. The intent was to build on an observation by Edward Tufte that the human system likes nature and nature is full of pale colors, so something you're going to look at all day might best serve if it were also in relaxing shades. Renee French helped me with the specifics of the color scheme (she's a professional illustrator and my color vision is suspect), once I'd figured out how I wanted it to look. There are still some features of the color system that I put in that I think no one has ever noticed. That's a good thing, in my opinion; the colors should fade away, if you'll pardon the expression."

is correct, and I work as a programmer

Attached: Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs_(Installation).png (640x480, 13K)

to maintain OLED battery life

because it's a default of electron

I don’t give a shit what anyone says, dark backgrounds hurt my eyes less in a dark room.

What sort of panels were those? Shitty LCDs? What's the effect size of the study? Get out of here, lol.

>I said it once, and I'll say it again: dark themes are soulless.
Look at this guy: "I still have a soul", well some of us have seen some shit.

i recognize that light backgrounds are more legible, but i suffer from visual noise and it's unbearable to look at light backgrounds, just like how it's unbearable to look at the sky when it's just an overcast white sheet, and just like how it's unbearable to look at the sun

slower reading is better than being unable to focus on the text at all

That's a good point, but I also think intuitively it makes sense that dark on light is easier to read. However it depends on the lighting the room... I switch to a dark theme when its dark in the room

Most books are printed in off white paper not glossy ultra white and thick paper like most art books.

the real question is: what is the ideal contrast ratio between bg and fg?

what are you even trying to argue?