Welcome to the /hgt/ – Haiku General Thread!

Welcome to the /hgt/ – Haiku General Thread!

Haiku is an open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

Official Website: haiku-os.org/
Downloads: download.haiku-os.org/
Forum (not for bugreports): discuss.haiku-os.org/
Bugtracker (only for OS bugs, not for ports): dev.haiku-os.org/
Localization: i18n.haiku-os.org/
Virtualizing Haiku guides: haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/
Gerrit review system: review.haiku-os.org/
CGIT: git.haiku-os.org/
GitHub mirror (read only mirror, do not send PR): github.com/haiku/
Buildbots: build.haiku-os.org/
HAIKU for other architectures: haiku-os.org/guides/building/port_status

PORTS: ———————–
HaikuPorts repo: github.com/haikuports/haikuports
HaikuPorts bugtracker: github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues
HaikuPorts Wiki (what is package management and how to make a package): github.com/haikuports/haikuports/wiki
HaikuDepot Web Interface (do not forget to select your architecture): depot.haiku-os.org
Buildbot Interfaces: build.haiku-os.org
HaikuArchives (3rdparty open source BeOS/Haiku programs): github.com/HaikuArchives

CHAT / SOCIAL: ———————
IRC: #haiku at freenode : irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/haiku
IRC Log: echelog.com/logs/browse/haiku/
Haiku official mailing list: freelists.org/archives/haiku/
Telegram: @haikuos

INC and FINANCES: ———————
Haiku Inc.: haiku-inc.org/
Donations: haiku-inc.org/donations.html#online
Founding: haiku-os.org/community/organization/funding/

Attached: D67A3DD0-3BDF-49FB-98C3-7A60E74D263F.png (600x315, 30K)

FUCK you

get a proper desktop that doesnt look like windows 98 and people will actually consider using haiku

There are some human fellows who aren’t interested in eye candy.

Why are so insecure?

whats the state of browsers on haiku these days?
i heard theyre abandoning webpositive and theyre working on a firefox esr port, but its extrmely unstable and very much a WIP, is that true?

my main use case is shitposting on desktop threads so as you can imagine neofetch, adblocking, and userscripts are all i really care about to bother installing it.

There is no plan to abandon WebPositive in favour of Firefox, but there is ongoing work to replace Webkit1 backend with Webkit2 in WebPositive.
Haiku project will never port Firefox, if the community needs it, then they should do the heavy lifting, as FF doesn’t match with the vision of the project.

Webkit2 will allow WebPositive to have own thread for every tab, plugins and adblocker.

They currently switching from webkit1 to webkit2. GSoC student doing it.

Almost forgot: Haiku switched to GCC8.3 some weeks ago and it is already available in nightly builds.

I've been meaning to check this out and thanks to a back injury, I might be able to finally do so this weekend.
Any good options for things like video editing?

zoom zoom

Grab the nightly version for best hw support and look around in HaikuDepot (AppStore, part of the base install).

Haiku is a proprietary malware that forbids its users from redistributing it, friendly reminder to pick something that respects your freedom instead

Tfw you fear that Haiku will conquer the desktop that you feel the urge to white knight with bullshit lies on internet for your loved *nix.

It's MIT license, what are you talking about?

Pump

>For integral parts of the OS (like the kernel, and libraries providing the public API such as libbe) however, we reject contributions governed by an "infectious" license (e.g. the GPL), i.e. one that would require us to re-license adjacent code.
This is getting better and better

Freedom. Finally!

Haiku for president.

When are they going to implement multi-user support?

After you explain us what and how it supposed to do.

Please do not forget: why should it do that.

Sure, without multi-user support, you won't be able to do privilege separation between the root user (the user that has access to system files) and the normal user (the user where you run your programs and do your stuff), if everything is run as the root user, any program will be able to fuck-up your system, even trusted programs can turn against you if they get exploited.

will it run on my T60?

Haiku is love, Haiku is life.

You can put it on a USB and test it.

But you trust in your 3rdparty kernel, right?
Otherwise no program can Channel system files on Haiku.

*change

Nice Unix brainrot.

Elaborate.

Yeah, good luck running anything in Haiku without giving it access to system files.

What's the problem with giving access to system files?

Your kernel have privilegies.
Do you expect anything from this situation except loosing everything?
Are you ok with that, or do you review all the changes in the kernel?

Currently it isn’t safer thanantmy Linux distribution.

I can't even boot into recent builds of Haiku. I've tried six different nightlies from the past month and of-course the official beta release (in BOTH 32 and 64bit). I've correctly written the images with DD, and even tried a few with Etch. Every single one of the 14 images I tried would reach the boot manager, say 'Boot volume not found', and would be completely unable to find its own self. I even tried booting via UEFI (which I detest). I don't have "secure" boot enabled. I by default boot in legacy mode. Most images from 2017 work fine. What the fuck is going on?

After you asked it literally nothing. Just do it.

Why don’t you create a ticket?

For an OS I haven't been able to test in almost 2 years now? Eh. I'm just realizing, does Haiku fully support USB 3 yet? Could it be that I haven't been able to boot into the new images all this time, because all my flash drives are usb 3 now?

Yes, that could be.

Literally any malware can damage your system and plant a rootkit and do all kind of shitty stuff in your computer, if you execute some malware in a normal user, the malware's privileges would be limited to the privileges of that user only.

Try the current nightly, it got plenty usb3 patches.

All the shit I actually care about is already accessible without privileges. You know, my files n shit. My system isn't important. Go implement some privilege separation made to keep my files safe, not my system. I'm not using some mainframe computer in the 80s.

Oh fucking shit. Have to find an old school usb drive now. I love haiku in theory, but development really needs to pick up. I don't even think it should be positioned as fully open source. The team should find some angel investor, keep most of the underlying code open source, but make everything related to the UI 100% proprietary (like Apple does), then attempt to position itself as an up and coming competitor to OS X, with the advantage that it is not dependant on extremely specific and limited hardware configurations directly from one vendor. If haiku had just two or three hundred developers working full time, man would that shit fly, and I'd pay 50-60 bucks for a production-ready version of the new BeOS, even if it was just a 32 bit build (BeOS binary compatibility is worth it). Hell, I'd pay for every major release of that OS. Hell, I'd spend 2,000 bucks on a BeBox 2020 edition, so long as it had two separate multicore cpus, and a dedicated GPU. Fucking bring BeOS back already.

And then you expect Haiku to copy unix?
Are you even Turing-complete?

I'm specifically not expecting that because I believe privilege separation on desktop systems is a giant fucking meme.

Are you fear a black cube or something?

If you care about separating the privileges of your files that are stored in a normal user account then you have a few options:

1- OpenBSD: most of their packages are patched to use unveil, which basically restricts the files that the packages can access, making them able to only access the files that they need in order to function properly.

2- Use Linux with Mandatory Access Control: the most popular ones are AppArmor and SELinux, this is a more complicated approach because you have to write the policies of each application yourself, which is impractical (some Linux distributions ship with pre-made policies, but those are usually too lean and compromising).

Maybe that's because you don't understand how and why privilege separation is important.

The best thing people ever came up with is that you could nuke your system. How horrible. I could nuke something I can reinstall in 20 minutes.

That's a retarded argument, if you run everything as root, let's say, a trusted web browser that you are (somehow) 100% sure won't do some shady stuff behind your back, if someone finds a vulnerability in that web browser, they'll immediately have access to everything in your computer, then can spy on you, record you using your microphone and webcam, destroy your operating system, run cryptominers on your computer, do illegal shit on your computer, make your computer a proxy, join a botnet, and many more.

Pretty much all of that is already possible with my unprivileged account.

Pretty sure that most of that is not possible in an unprivileged account.

Maybe that's because you don't understand how and why privilege separation is fundamentally broken.

>100% sure won't do some shady stuff
That’s Firefox, right?

Don’t sell something what you cannot guarantee.
Are you paid shiller or something? Where should I send my CV? I can also pull bullshit from my ass. Do they pay well?

>talk about privilege separation
>sell something
Who's going to pay me to shill for privilege separation? Have you thought about that before jumping to conclusions about a conspiracy?
>Where should I send my CV
reddit.com/r/conspiracy

I did ask if it is okay, and what if it isn’t.
You telling that’s okay without guarantee.’who selling things here?

I did not guarantee anything, that's how security works, you reduce the attack surface using privilege separation (among other things), nothing is guaranteed to be secure.
If you're talking about the "browser that won't do shady stuff", that was a theoritical situation, I didn't name any names anyway.

But your system is broken fundamentally.
You can argue that you got an AMD CPU, and then what? Do you really think they have no shady secrets?
But ok, you reduce the attacking surface.
HOW?!
And how many people can replicate and maintain this „workaround“?
Why don’t you accept the fact that your CPU is broken? Why don’t you accept that every security outsourced to the CPU is broken?
Why don’t you tell us that no change means fail?
Why don’t you tell: according to this no OS can be considered secure?
Why don’t you *actually* reduce the attacking surface with using transparent OS which doesn’t try to lie into your face?
Why do you have to sell lies?
Why can’t you tell: “Guys, we are fucked!”
Who the fuck pays you actually? You are selling out the mankind!
What do you think what Qubes do, and why are they do?
I hope you will understand this, and i hope it won’t be too late.

You are lying. That’s the only truth. Thanks for making it clear.

>You can argue that you got an AMD CPU, and then what? Do you really think they have no shady secrets?
I'm not arguing that "I have nothing to hide"
>But ok, you reduce the attacking surface.
>HOW?!
If you're worried about CPU side-channel attacks, you can disable hyperthreading which eliminates these classes of vulnerabilities.
>And how many people can replicate and maintain this „workaround“?
By entering a single command in their computers.
>Why don’t you accept the fact that your CPU is broken? Why don’t you accept that every security outsourced to the CPU is broken?
This is called "security nihilism", which is basically this: "I think that they can hack me using my CPU, so I won't give a fuck about securing my system anyways". I agree that CPU security sucks. If you are worried about your CPU architecture, then RISC-V might interest you since it's an open ISA.
>Why don’t you tell us that no change means fail?
How is this relevant to what we were discussing?
>Why don’t you tell: according to this no OS can be considered secure?
CPU security sucks and I know it, giving up security and running everything as root is not a solution.
>Why don’t you *actually* reduce the attacking surface with using transparent OS which doesn’t try to lie into your face?
I use a free and open source operating system myself.
>Why do you have to sell lies?
You are the one selling lies here.
>Why can’t you tell: “Guys, we are fucked!”
"Guys I think my CPU is insecure so I'll give up all security"
>Who the fuck pays you actually? You are selling out the mankind!
I don't give a single fuck about mankind and no one is going to pay me to discuss stuff in Jow Forums
>What do you think what Qubes do, and why are they do?
Qubes is nice, but they are heavy and carry the inherent flaws of Linux, so I prefer OpenBSD myself.
>I hope you will understand this, and i hope it won’t be too late.
?
>You are lying.
Where did I lie, exactly?

>Needing separate subdomains for hosing forums and download pages
>Shitposting their donations page to beg for money
Sounds mighty Yiddish of you, OP.

>I'm not arguing that "I have nothing to hide"
Tell this to the court after they found compromising data on your disk.
>If you're worried about CPU side-channel attacks, you can disable hyperthreading which eliminates these classes of vulnerabilities.
Because just HT is broken, everything else must be fine, and you base this on what actually?
>By entering a single command in their computers.
He still thinks...
>This is called "security nihilism", which is basically this: "I think that they can hack me using my CPU, so I won't give a fuck about securing my system anyways". I agree that CPU security sucks. If you are worried about your CPU architecture, then RISC-V might interest you since it's an open ISA.
So the CPU based security is busted, but we should use an extra CPU managed layer for *extra* security, did I get you right?
>How is this relevant to what we were discussing?
We just have to believe in ACL, right?
>CPU security sucks and I know it, giving up security and running everything as root is not a solution.
It was common sense that you, as user and owner are responsible for everything what happens on your computer.
You tell US that isn’t the case. Great!
>I use a free and open source operating system myself.
Kek.
>You are the one selling lies here.
That’s what you *nix fans saying all the time while inventing new and new layers instead of saying: With this boundary conditions we can’t guarantee anything.
>"Guys I think my CPU is insecure so I'll give up all security"
Nobody Said you should be a stupid fuck, it is YOUR responsibility to make the life of any attacker hard. The question is: how you accomplish this.
>I don't give a single fuck about mankind and no one is going to pay me to discuss stuff in Jow Forums
Traitor.
>Qubes is nice, but they are heavy and carry the inherent flaws of Linux, so I prefer OpenBSD myself.
Signs of intelligent lifeform!
>Where did I lie, exactly?
Eh, mate, you have absolute right, I am just trolling here.

Question... Has anyone ever tried making a HAMP stack for Haiku?

>HAMP
>Haiku
>Apache
>MySQL
>PHP

>This kills the Haiku general thread

Haiku needs more ports. BeOS was ahead of his time.

It was a comfy experiencie, i cannot lie, but the lack of drivers...

Haiku looks so delicious. Haven't noticed it before.

get out

Attached: pepelinux.png (785x757, 108K)

you need to go back

I used reddit in an ironic way.

Bump