Are 4k monitors a meme?

are 4k monitors a meme?
what's the best monitor for someone who will primarily use it for coding?
i have shit eyes and so i have a difficult time seeing small text and want to reduce eye strain
am using a 2015 mbp so would only be able to drive a 4k at 30 hz refresh rate
any advice on what to get would be appreciated. i've never shopped for a monitor before.

Attached: file.png (940x620, 543K)

I have that monitor in your picture.

It's decent.

But I mainly use it for watching 4k movies and shit, not for text.

LG 43UD79-B

4K for gaming is amazing but too costly in terms of Hardware if you want the Frames.
Using one for productivity is bliss.

will a 30 hz refresh rate cause eye strain or be annoying?

Depends how sensitive you are.

If you're used to comparing framerates, like you have a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor, then yes, moving to 30hz will be pretty noticeable.

But if you're used to just 60hz, 30hz isn't TOO bad, just a bit less smooth when moving around the mouse on-screen.

No. Most hdmi ports on your tv are only 30hz, usually 1 of them would be 60hz or more so for regular work, movies, ect it's perfectly fine. Movies and shows are mostly filmed in 24 fps. For gaming, yes annoying as fuck unless you're used to consoles.

Just wait for 32K monitors bro

Not OP but also in the market for a 4k monitor for text/productivity and not gaming. have they dropped to the ~200USD range yet? do i have to get IPS?

It great for programing, i love to work on it for webdev work. Would recommemd a second monitor on the side

>macshit
Found your problem.

Don't bother with a 30hz display. Even for just writing code, it will be irritating as fuck. Depending on exactly why your eyes are "shit", you might not even benefit from the pixel density of 4k.

Have you considered a 32" 1440p monitor? If you're dead set on 4k, you'll need to wait until your can get a new computer.

>you might not even benefit from the pixel density of 4k
He's showing a 43" 4k panel, which has 103PPI

The same pixel density of a 22" 1080p panel

If you were talking about a 24-32" 4k panel, then what you're saying makes sense, but not for the panel in the OP picture.

The LG 43MU79-B is on sale at newegg right now. It has a 3 yr warranty compared to the 1 yr for the 43UD79-B.

I have that monitor, it's great for its price. Do mind that because it's so large you'll see a slight dark edge on the sides if you sit close because of the IPS viewing angles. I don't use scaling so I have a giant desktop at a resolution close to a 22" 1080p, just 4x. Maybe a lower DPI monitor would be better for you, since UI scaling is garbage. If only it was 16:10..

Attached: mjcqjfZ.jpg (1080x1420, 242K)

>LG 43MU79-B
Good deal for $399.

I spent $450 on my 43UD79-B

also, the literal only difference is the warranty, they're the same panel the MU version is just meant for retail or similar use. Hence the longer warranty.

>meant for retail or similar use
Yeah, it's the business/commercial version.

what do you mean by scaling?

Attached: sca.png (1181x1110, 343K)

and what's wrong with scaling exactly?

They make 4k monitors too small.

Ideal size is 32-37” but most are 27”

ideal size is 36-46

I would want 40" 4k, which sadly only exists as TV panels, no monitors.

40" 4k is 110 PPI

which would directly match my 27" 1440p at 109.7 PPI

honestly why cant they make a ~32'' monitor with 16k resolution 60hz resolution, obviously not for gaming but for working, reading text etc, it it would be glorious with a 550 ppi

Literally just ordered this. I was on the fence about getting an ultrawide or 27" for $650, but it's hard to beat this price.

I say that because I have a 43” 4k for working (basically functions as 4 1080p screens with no bezel) and its a bit too big to look at the edges when sitting at the desk.

It's usually blurry.

I wish for this as well,
for gaming I would just switch the resolution to 1080p
also add 144hz instead of 60hz to your monitor config

Dealing with scaling is gonna be a bitch on such monitors. Games especially will suffer, unless you are willing to deal with either billinear scaling (at a lower resolution) or native 4k resolution (high performance hit and possibly terrible scaling for older titles)

only at non integer scales though

Does windows really use nearest neighbor with smoothing at integer ratios?

Yes it's a meme, especially if you ever vidya, diminishing returns on the drastically inflated price and power requirements aside, it'll fuck up your scaling on everything. Get 1440p 60hz if you're mostly programming and not vidya

It would appear so

Attached: 2019-06-19 23_05_19-Window.png (471x241, 11K)

>i have shit eyes and so i have a difficult time seeing small text and want to reduce eye strain
stick with 1080p 144hz, fellow blindfag

I use a 4k monitor with Windows Scaling for 1440p. It's alright.

I'm only using a cheap Samsung one though.

>2015 MBP
>30Hz
what? my 2015 rMBP could drive 4K at 60Hz through miniDP

That's not IPS viewing angles, that's just the backlight not really extending very far past the edge of the screen because the bezels are small.

When you look at either edge straight there is no shadowing.