Any software engineers here? is your job comfy?

any software engineers here? is your job comfy?
is it anything like this youtube video?
youtube.com/watch?v=rqX8PFcOpxA

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jnRqUTXmsRU
youtube.com/watch?v=eQBvBtJd6wE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_engineering_(field)?wprov=sfla1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>any software engineers here?
Yes
>is your job comfy?
Yes

My role is split between development and devOps. I typically go into the office 2-3 days a week to do my actual work and then the other days I "work" from home. By work I mean I answer emails, maybe do a little admin work, rarely more than an hour a day. I mostly play video games all day/do house work. At least once a week -now it's summer- I take a 2 hour lunch break while working at home. I go to McDicks, get a McDouble and a coffee, then go walk in a local forest and hang with my deerBros.

My salary is good but not great, good enough in this medium sized town. I have become the comfort zone.

What a shitty life.

Yes, I work at Google. AMA.

I'm so jealous

Attached: 1444285899394.gif (500x300, 135K)

are you HIV+?

No, I don't work out of the SF/NYC offices

I have seen this video on Jow Forums like 10 times
Its also in my youtube recommended, the female thumbnail reeks of clickbait, please tell me what its about if its cancer I dont want to give it a view

Code monkey life.

>sleep
>eat
>go to work
>piss code
>eat
>piss code
>get back home
>buy crap to make it up for emptiness of your life
>watch tv
>cry yourself to sleep
Rince and repeat.

>I dont want to give it a view
Just use mpv + yt-dl.

Almost exactly this but my extended lunch breaks tend to be split between hiking in the foothills near my town and going to the gym.

That's real nice user. I need to stay close to home encase I need to do some devOps work for someone else. If I get an email from someone asking for something while in the forest it only takes 20 minutes to get home max. That usually doesn't happen though.

it's literally just a video of one of the most plain/boring people in the world going to work, drinking coffee, coding, doing the basedface around her colleagues and going home to watch netflix on her laptop before going to sleep and doing it again

not sure how these people live like this

Fuck man all i do is “work” and go home to sleep

It's varying levels of comfy depending on the kind of job you have. It's always comfy in the sense that the idea of office 'hell' is either endless rows of soulless Intel^TM cubicles, or a godless open office layout where there's more noise and distractions than at a train station.

Whether the work itself is comfy, well, that's more about your personal preferences. I find enterprise shit where you're just an interchangeable cog in a machine soul-crushingly boring. Some like it because you have zero responsibility, the whole idea is that you check out at 5.00pm sharp, no matter what. On top of that, the skill set you're required to have is so small even a poo in loo could pull it off (not really).

I personally prefer consultancy gigs, where you're the representative for the company you're working for. There are some formal managerial duties mixed in there, and essentially there are no limits to your 'expected' expertise, meaning no-one sets limits for your 'allowance' on how much time you spend time learning more about data analytics, networking, devops, sysops, etc. as long as you get your shit done. The upside there is that after a few years, you're entitled to what would otherwise be considered ridiculous compensation, because you can now do multiple people's job by yourself.

Of course, most people don't like taking extra responsibility and living constantly outside your comfort zone, but like I said, it's about personal preferences.

Attached: dog.png (1536x1536, 2.26M)

I don't know. They're just like you except instead of jerking off in a basement for the afternoon, they instead go outside and do something productive.

>working
>productive

stop posting this techzoomer

How twisted, shortsighted, infantile and instant gratification seeking does your mind have to be to think that programming isn't productive?

>Company bus to work at 9:30am
>Spend an hour a day standing in line for food
>Spend an hour a day waiting for code to compile
>Native English speakers are the minority
>the Chinese managers hire female programmers based on looks alone, so ~20% of the company is cute 22 year old Chinese girls that you'll never hear speak a word of English
>Bus home at 4pm
Sounds bad but it's pretty comfy desu

>Sounds bad but it's pretty comfy desu
sounds really good to me.
where is this and do they hire americans?

sounds liek heaven

Fuck that guy who sits next to her looks like he wants to off himself, especially when she's doing the fucking weird selfie video thing half way into the video.

she cute tho

Attached: 1452610408538.jpg (1023x522, 179K)

>How twisted, shortsighted, infantile and instant gratification seeking does your mind have to be to think that programming isn't productive?

Attached: sadsoy.png (211x239, 8K)

Google, SF Bay area. They mostly hire indian and Chinese H1Bs but there are a few token white Americans like myself around.

>[laughing in caucasian]
Enjoy the poverty.

imagine how retarded these 5 guys probably act to garner her attention.

Attached: Capture.png (812x413, 729K)

Too many weirdos in offices. Working with telecom infrastructure in the field is the purest tech experience.

>Enjoy the poverty.

Attached: soyfreaks.jpg (720x720, 56K)

Makes sense. I’m not DevOps, just development, so I can usually get away with doing my work in the morning, act as if that takes all day, and then enjoy my lunch/afternoon. As I am doing right now.

Is that coffee what I think it is??

Attached: baysed.png (160x136, 43K)

Believe it or not, repeating what he said with meme arrows and reaction images proves nothing.

>day in the life
>90% of the video is eating or commuting to work
>like 2 seconds of actual work the whole video
People don't actually fall for this shit, right?

That is literally what my day is like usually

This is my life.
youtube.com/watch?v=jnRqUTXmsRU

>is your job comfy?
Yes.
>is it anything like this youtube video?
Absolutely not. I work 7:30 to 4:30, with 1.5 hours of gym time on M, W, and F.
My commute is about 10 minutes... I don't see how someone could possibly tolerate a 2 hour commute in the morning.
I'm in the military working for local unit projects, so there is some bullshit but since I'm actually competent I'm pretty much untouchable.

It's ridiculous, I get upset when it takes me 5 minutes longer than normal to get home.

>competent dev
>working for the government
pick one

lol we're out there. Outnumbered, but out there.
I'm in the US military but stationed in England, and the wage disparity is hilarious.
I'm junior rank, making what would be "OK" in a smaller US city (equiv to $65k pre tax), but to the brits, I'm fucking rich. The pay of a british dev seems to top out at like $80k, and that's after like 15+ years of experience, AND in London which is *ridiculously* expensive.

Yes, at Amazon
No idea, I start later this summer.
Hopefully I get placed in a job without much on call.

>Believe it or not, repeating what he said with meme arrows and reaction images proves nothing.

Attached: soyjak2.jpg (644x800, 55K)

Attached: 1540262886379.jpg (480x480, 16K)

>Amazon
Expect 12 hour days, lots of on-call and free bananas.

I don't like bananas.

You're living the life. Good for you bro. So what kinda field are you into (what do you actually do)?

Ok so...
>Out of Uni worked for corporation
>Hated it
>Work for small startup
>Loved it
>Got acquired by corporation
>Most of team got made redundant
>Just waiting for my redundancy
>It never came, sat around for a year playing Xbox 360, I mean that literally, I worked 1 hour a week for a whole year
>They get rid of my old private office with the sofas and xbox
>Join new office
>Slowly given more work to do
>Basically I do custom development for various businesses using the software new company acquired (It's a £4K a month minimum buy in btw) Plus various server setup and other devOps stuff to help out

I really just fell into this role. When I though I was going to be made redundant, I cut my expenses to the bone and have live off roughly 2/3rds my income since then. Which means for every 2 months I work... I can take 1 month off.

Kinda want to go travel the world again like I did in my GAP year...

Like I say, I'm trapped in the comfort zone.

It's a lot of PHP and Javascript basically, a fuckton of clever SQL (which I did not write btw), with a bunch of clever scripts and some other languages holding everything together. I'm surprised anything works at all really.

What does the software do? Bring together 100s of data sources in a way that allows companies to sell people shit they don't need, for money they don't have.

>cut my expenses to the bone
>live off roughly 2/3rds my income
Jesus. You're either not making very much money or your cost of living is high as hell. My first job out of college had a totally average salary and I was living on a quarter of it and saving the rest. Do you live in silicon valley or something?

lol I live in BritBongLand, everything is expensive here as we must pay for our ethnic replacements.

I am one of the would be replacement and I mourn for European/Western human capital's fall into voluntary degeneration. It is so serious I know of no historical precedence.

Yes, yes, sort of. Wake up at 9:30ish, maybe later, get into work 10am or so, leave just before 5pm every day. Take a good lunch too.

Thanks user, I may have to kill you in the coming race war though.

I'm a US military member stationed in the UK, and it's ridiculous how you guys make less than the same job would in the US, yet EVERYTHING is more expensive here.
I would recommend moving to Germany if you can. The wage/CoL situation there is much better.

Survival of the fittest it is then, do your best. A big war would do you good, it's the ultimate wake up call, I don't see your cuck top brass daring to take the plunge though.

I did actually spend about 9 weeks in Germany during my GAP year ( I went around Europe, NZ and the south pacific). Great country, and I had 2 German friends to hang with.

My favourite part was the cheap supermarket beer, my second favourite part was the pfand system that made beer even cheaper, my third favourite part was the forests in Badden-Wuettemberg.

Does software engineering requires immense skill of maths

>software engineers
programmers

Get over yourself, girlfriend

Nope, not nearly. Some elementary discrete maths, enough analysis to be able to tell when a function is growing and at which rate and similar basic mathematics is enough for you to get by in your daily chores.
Realistically speaking, it is a lot of reusing and re-purposing existing software, building sensible architectures, and managing complexities. Heck I'd argue that in a lot of the sub-fields that are considered core CS a linguist would fare better than an engineer.
The above excludes maths-heavy fields like finances, physics simulations, a physics module of a game engine and the like.

Depends: do you want to work with a bunch of hipsters that get a hardon to the thought of getting a more ethical coffee blend for the office ping pong room, or a bunch of neckbeards who mostly get hardons to anime girls?

she works like 4 hours wtf

sounds like good work if you can get it

youtube.com/watch?v=eQBvBtJd6wE

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_engineering_(field)?wprov=sfla1
Does software engineering and information engineering the same thing? Wikipedia states that its heavily based on math.
Both is fine actually..

Scrum meeting every morning and then you do whatever, sounds about right.

>any software engineers here? is your job comfy?
mostly

>is it anything like this youtube video?
lol nope, 90% is actually... sw engineering, not eating fancy shit and commuting, lel

I don't work in a fancy startup or web company where everybody is young and uses macbooks

is this tail recursions

def tail(n):
if n == 1:
return 1
return n * tail(n-1)

5 * (4 * (3 * (2 * 1(1 * 1)?

No

i think it is.

Yeahn, that's not tail optimized. It's essentially doing this:

int temp = tail(n -1);
return n * temp;

For it to be tail optimized, it needs to return only the recursive function. This can be done by storing the result within the tail function.

def tail(n, acc=1):
if n == 1:
return acc
return tail(n-1, n*acc)

If you haven't actually worked there, then you don't know the bad part where effective income tax is +50%
Worked at a startup where they literally needed to get an occupation based exception to pay me as little as i made and still qualify for a work visa, and the government still took more than half

and then couple that with the presumably high cost of working in a city and you may as well just work for minimum wage somewhere.

Depends on what you mean by software engineer. I developed 3D engines and visualization systems for the past 24 years and most if not all of it was sitting 12-18 hrs a day in a dark room.

Cost is honestly not that bad, Berlin was still livable on 45% of €34k (for two) but it was definitely tight. Culture is lots of cheap, open air hanging out at coffee shops and shit. Beer is thin, flavorless and cheap but godamn i miss my radlers

I think it would be comfy if you can find a place where you can be barely competent. So you don't really do anything but they don't fire you. The less stuff you do, the less responsibility you have.

Yes. Pretty comfy, but sometimes stressful.

Yes I'd say it's very similar to her video. She works in a nicer hipper office than I do, in a nicer city (New York?).

I have way more meetings and interactions than is shown in her video, but I'm a bit more senior and do team lead, architecture and such. I assume she's more of a junior codemonkey from the look of things.

not a single frame of coding
truly the future is female

>leave home a 8:46
>get to work at 10:24
i'd rather kill myself in all honesty my brethren

That would literally break her NDA

That's SF. She must have cut the part where she has to wade through piles of used syringes and feces while fending off homeless.

I bet there are 24 part series on Youtube with just some guy coding, with commentary. Zoomers get off on that kind of thing. Upvote and subscribe.

Yes, I work with people I met on Jow Forums at our own company, 100% autist friendly.

My problem with software engineers is often times most of them insist on building a nuclear reactor when a hamster wheel would do the trick. They waste dev time, pay, cause extra stress, then get a pat on the back when the project doesn't explode.

>t. retarded middle manager

>hey guy, mind explaining why you mapped out an extra 80 hours allocated for our UI module?
>yeah, see what if the customer wants, x, then y and z?
>are x y or z in the customer's requirements?
>no but...

this conversation is had at least 3 times a month.

Web scriptkiddies suckered by the suckless software meme is a far bigger issue.

Yeah, that sure sounds like a management issue to me if it keeps happening.

>hey guy, mind explaining why you mapped out an extra 80 hours allocated for our UI module?
This thing happens zero times on the 95%+ of projects out there that work with Scrum, Kanban etc. What kind of a clown shop are you working at and what is your role?

>next sprint
>customer actually wants x, y, and z now like the devs assumed they did
>it now takes longer than 80 hrs to add those to the UI module since the it requires an architecture change

>customer and dev are not talking to each other

>make money for company that pays you some of that money
Explain how that is not productive. It fits the literal definition.

>customer and dev are talking to each other
This really sucks, that is what PMs are for

>customer ends up wanting x y and z
>we point to their requirements and tell them to pay us for more time or fuck off
>problem solved

>any software engineers here?
yep
>is your job comfy?
I suppose I can't complain about a desk job that pays decently with free coffee / tea, there are always deadlines to meet and we are expected to meet them outside of any "fun" work activities. I just wish it was possible to find a gig where I was working, say, 20-30 hours a week. That way I could actually have the time and energy to devote to personal projects and limit my time producing job-killing productivity-boosting tools for a corporate overlord

Attached: 1537048-mvc03.jpg (1920x1080, 254K)

>then get a pat on the back when the project doesn't explode.
this is it right here. work at a corp and this guy keeps snagging projects because he is in good with all upper management (they are all Indian). but all of his work fails for various reasons, and his code is a disaster to read/debug. then management will blame his failures on other people making changes to completely unrelated projects. its a pretty awful work environment.

>not wanting to understand how people will use your software and what value it's supposed to provide

What I don't get about this video is that the woman goes that entire commute just to take the laptop she already had at home and connect it to a dock at work. Who the fuck operates a business like that?

I would rather delegate that task to someone with better social skills. I don't need to talk directly to them to understand.

what actually happens:
>customer actually wanted x', y', and z', all those 80 hours are now wasted

I love being outside my comfort zone. Being within my comfort zone actually makes me uncomfortable lol.

I'm looking at getting into development when my current position comes to an end later this year, and I'm looking at junior dev consultant roles for exactly the reasons you listed - you'll learn a lot, it'll be a catalyst for your skills and career, and after a few years you're charging the good money. Are you US-based, or otherwise? I'd love to get an idea of the day to day life of a consultant dev.

Do you think that disparity will ever reduce/close?

t. Bong

SWE at a nice company in Orange County. Life is great--most of my coworkers are 40-60 year old academics. The director of my unit was a chemistry prof at UC Irvine. Life is slow and chill and the pay is excellent. It's not for everyone though. People find this place boring.

Attached: Pelican_Hill_Newport_Coast_Community.jpg (720x480, 128K)