Are prebuilt PCs still a scam?

Are prebuilt PCs still a scam?
Or are there any actually good ones out there?

Attached: pre-built-pc-20180815-1.jpg (960x540, 163K)

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Even if they weren't -- building a pc is more fun than any of the games you can play on 'em.

if you think this then you are probably a giga fag

But what if you don't have autism?

Have you two forgot what board you're on

its not a scam, it's just not worth it if you can do it yourself.

theres more to technology than building PC's maxiautochan

No shit. Have you forgot what thread you're in, too?

Spoon fed

>Have you forgot what thread you're in, too?
obviously not
do you think your bringing more to the table kek?

if you can find a deal which is p much all the time you can find good prebuilts

yep. labour costs > whatever extra volume discount the retailer may apply after they've added their cut

What's the best prebuilt, lads?

This. I've spent a shit tonne of my disposable income building GAYMIN pc's I've the years. Wish I had a more interesting hobby desu lads.... dont even play many games anymore either

You will always get shitty ram since they know you're paying for your lack of knowledge. Your 1% and .1% lows will be shitty in modern games.

Attached: IMG_20190617_215954.jpg (1920x1080, 216K)

Sometimes they are a scam. There are well built off the shelf PCs too. Hth.

Thankfully most of us do.

Attached: john-shuttleworth-LST060317_b.jpg (618x611, 54K)

If you can't be bothered to put it together yourself and/or want it tested so that you can be reasonably sure that it's gonna work, it's IMO just better to pick the components and pay the store to put it together for you. They charge like $15 here and it's done reasonably well. Bonus is, I don't have to deal with nearly as much garbage.

Attached: fc35d709692f32cccdf420972282e31e7176a594a1ddfa311d63e818e325042d.jpg (876x719, 117K)

I don't mind building a PC, but picking the right components is a fucking NIGHTMARE
There are SO MANY OPTIONS, and finding the ones that actually work together is like solving a maze on shrooms

I just wish it was possible to buy a finished "PC kit" with all parts, then put it together yourself, saving a little money

Attached: 1560437768290.jpg (2893x4092, 1.55M)

You should build it yourself so you know and understand how it all comes together and can upgrade and fix your own issues down the line

I had the store build it for me after picking the parts myself because I couldn't be assed. I'd rather spend 30€ than an hour building it and getting awfully distressed if anything goes even very slightly wrongl.

Attached: 1509790972437.jpg (461x581, 32K)

Buy used prebuilt for 1/10th of their cost. Only way to go forward with prebuilt.

There are often prebuilts that on first glance seem like a good deal for the specs - but upon further examination they are not.

First off, people fall for the fallacy of just copying the build of the prebuilt, rather than picking better or equivalent parts of other brands/models.

Secondly, prebuilts often have mismatched components for your needs. For example, they often have a i7 paired with a 1060, when you would be better of with a 8400+1070. They might have a 256GB SDD and a 1TB HDD when you already have storage, or need 3TB of storage... etc. A prebuilt should be compared to the optimum build for you.

Third, prebuilts often have very low quality parts, that are hard to price. For example, they may a no-brand PSU or shitty proprietary case.

This is much better than a prebuilt.

Others find it quite easy. Ask them.

Attached: chrome_2019-06-04_16-08-05.png (1152x788, 1.6M)

sometimes you can find deals where you got a really nice gpu or cpu in them for barely over that part's price (I've even seem pre builts with a 1080 under typical 1080 price), plus usually the other parts aren't usually trash and you get a case

start cycling on road bikes. not as expensive as cars and you can sperg out to your heart's content

This. Based. I honestly wish I liked playing video games more so at least this hobby would make sense.

falcon doesn't provide his guide anymore?

see He does: logicalincrements.com/
But it's not very good at helping you with the big decisions, in fact it's counterproductive

Prebuilt is for those who don't have the time to build one but plenty of money. It is also for people who do not have enough understanding of components and compatibility of such components with each other.

What do you mean? You don't know what workload is your future computer going to sustain? What other big decisions? Looking at his guide it seems to weed out the junk a provide you a simple budget oriented tiered system optimized for gaming. If you have a more eccentric use for your HW you really shouldn't buy prebuilds anyway.

yes ofc a prebuilt won't be geared towards your specific needs, but what i meant was literally a full pc that cost less than a 1080ti and it had a 1080ti in it, change out a few parts and you will have spent less than straight-up building from scratch just because you basically got a 1080ti on discount, not to mention you might save with any storage you do get from it.

pre-built is usually worth ONLY in that case

Not a bad idea at all user cheers

yes
>shit psu
>shit motherboard
>shit cpu cooler
>shit fans
>cheap ram
>usually with 1TB shit tier hard drive and chink shit ssd from 5 years ago
>"professional gamer machine" with shit like nvidia 1030
>costs 30 percent more than the sum of individual parts
it's really a market for dumb boomers and women.

>Are prebuilt PCs still a scam?
yes, the people who build them want to make a profit and usually have very big margins

>Prebuilt is for those who don't have the time to build one but plenty of money.
I find that almost everyone has a budget, even if it's big
The guide isn't purely optimized for gaming, it's more of a general use guide, which is it's shortfall. I know what workload I'll have, and I think most people do but the guide doesn't. For example, the "superb" build will get better FPS than the build above it a lot of the time, because of the higher clocked intel CPU. And the highest tiers - with threadripper CPUs simply aren't made for gaming. In other cases, for example if you want to game in 4k it's best to stop at a 2700x and spend the rest on a GPU. I've talked to them about this but there's just no way to solve it without splitting the guide into multiple usecases.

It's a good guide once you've made the big CPU/GPU decisions though.

I really doubt you'll ever save so much on a GPU that you can afford a decent PSU and faster ram (for example) and still come out on top. Now if you can sell the parts from the prebuilt that you replace, maybe, but that's a hassle too and unbranded parts may not fetch a very high price.

>And the highest tiers - with threadripper CPUs simply aren't made for gaming.
Fair point, but still, if you know you use a heavily multi-threaded program and from that point it's quite straight forward.

Scam. Finding a decent pre-built PC that sports 128GB+ of RAM is pretty much impossible. HP wants $9000 for their cheapest Z-model and that one comes with two Xeons, which are worthless for video editing.