Are e-readers dying?

are e-readers dying?

Attached: hero-4046778-2-_3Web-5c91458e46e0fb000146ae08.jpg (1500x1499, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

justpublishingadvice.com/the-e-reader-device-is-dying-a-rapid-death/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Idk are they, why would they

yes. their popularity has been plummeting. people tried them and found out that they just aren't that useful of a device and they have too many drawbacks.

Do amerifags even read? (audiobook is not reading)

you only need to carry one book at a time and the weight of a book is about the same as an ereader so there's no advantage for most people

piracy is an advantage for everyone

what an awful book

Yes, but mostly because they aren't innovating. Why would I ever need to buy a more expensive model? They don't offer anything compelling in contrast to the older models.

nah that's not the problem. the problem is that they're just not that good. people aren't using them anymore, they're using tablets, laptops, or books.

bought my dads e reader
gave him 30 bucks for it
put a bunch of pirated books into it
this year alone ive read over 30 full fledged novels
including the lord of the rings and the hobbit

Attached: 1560839291497.gif (160x160, 811K)

>he reads less than one book a day

Attached: 1531599023261.jpg (239x255, 17K)

wow user im so impresed can i suck your hobbit cock

They're a very niche product. Thing is, once someone buys one, why do they need a new one?

I'd get one for reading manga, but the iPad Pro has piracy apps and a massive screen compared to ereaders.

I did this too when I first got my ereader. after a while I stopped using it permanently.

they were doa

this man is a neophyte patrician
to level up, get an ebook reader for your phone and you can blend in with everyone else staring at their phones

cost is too high thanks to the eink monopoly
battery life on android based readers is too low
the display is too delicate
stores are meh at best, it's less convenient to browse than a regular bookstore

yea e-readers were a stop-gap product from when phones and tablets weren't that good. these days you may as well use a tablet or a real book.

mine still works just fine

bro I read like a book a month if that

I think people are using other devices, but they aren't reading on them. It's difficult to get people to read these days, honestly; schools aren't modernizing their process. Instead of being told 'Hey, you don't like reading, maybe try it a bit on your phone', they're going 'PHONE BAD DO BOOK'. I think you have less up-take of readers.

So when you combine:
- A lack of people taking up hobby reading
- A lack of technological adoption amongst older peoples
- A lack of innovation within the market itself to provide new features
We're in a stagnating environment.

I'm going into education. One of my big pushes will be e-books. Get kids reading, even if it's on their phones. They need an entry point to reading.

I buy them for their screens, far cheaper than buying the screen by itself and you get a battery and all the other shit with it.
'Do some light reading at night but i've found it a lot faster to consume books via laptop.

>2019
>have a product that you only need to buy once
>lasts forever
>wonder why sales decrease after awhile

Attached: brain.jpg (645x729, 32K)

>I think people are using other devices, but they aren't reading on them.
they are actually. people are buying more and more ebooks every year.. they're just buying them on tablets and phones not ereaders. ereaders are dying.
justpublishingadvice.com/the-e-reader-device-is-dying-a-rapid-death/

>pirated books
Besides that, there are scans of classic lit in the public domain. Schools should take advantage of this, especially for textbooks. Just write textbooks for the PD and distribute them at virtually no cost. Only roadblock is the publishing lobby.

no but rms is

A quote from them:
"One of the main problems is that devices have failed to develop in any major technical form since their introduction in 2008.

If you own a Kindle from 2009, you will know that it is almost exactly the same as the current model. In fact, I believe my old Kindle is better, as it came with audio, which has been removed from later models."

So what was wrong with my initial point about technology not moving forwards?

Refresh rate too slow. Gonna read pirated books on my phone instead

Amazon gimps the devices to near uselessness to force people into their ecosystem. Android is the way forward.

its funny how in an entire article like that you managed to ignore everything else brought up except the one mention of something that agreed with you

The free internet was pretty amusing for those who abused it. I've never even connected mine to an account i just slam books in with calibre and go about my day. Kobo seems well received given its a primary source for pirated ebooks.

>staring at a static page for minutes at a time
>MUH REFRUSH RATE

>trying to flip through a textbook
>shit resolution no color
>takes seconds to flip each page so forever to find what you want and to navigate between pages
lol @ you

Why would people new e-readers if they offer nothing over the old ones? People are constantly buying new phones for other features like camera, storage, and processor speeds (and the user experience that comes with that).

Also, desu, a lot of people reading on their phones are women reading smut novels.

>you only need to carry one book at a time
you don't read poetry on the bus and melville at lunch? do u even read bro

a phone screen is also shit for textbooks; it's way too small

>no gyroscope
>not even the option to rotate the screen manually

Attached: IMG_20190616_113539.jpg (3120x4160, 2.63M)

look if your point is that ereaders suck and they're losing popularity because they're a bad device that are far worse than tablets and phones which they fell behind, I agree with you. that's what I said in this thread many times and in the other threads made as well.
if you're saying people are keeping their old ones and still using them, then you're wrong and that's not true. people are stopping using their ebook readers in favor of better devices.
if you're saying people are using other devices but not reading on them, like you said earlier, then that's wrong and it's not true. ebook sales are rising every year.

I see you're posting from 2007 user. in 12 years when you hit 2019 there will be something called tablets. they're like something called laptops which are also popular in 2019 after they've gotten so light.

My Pocketbook has.

Are notetaking ereaders any good?

The only I don't like about e-readers is that they suck for college textbooks (some won't even support pdfs). I think that the perfect device is a 2-in-1 notebook that is small enough to hold on your hands comfortably when on tablet mode but at the same time has a big enough screen to fit textbook formatting.

lol apparently amazon announced a "new" model of the kindle oasis and the only thing that's new is you can change the warmth of the light, woah such great innovation ty Bezos and people wonder why this piece of tech is dying.

Attached: 1520884966567.png (462x450, 173K)

>reading on a backlit display

Attached: hqdefault (5).jpg (480x360, 17K)

Doesn't one company pretty much own the patent on e-ink tech and refuses to improve it much?

Meanwhile, Boyue has a new ereader that seems to be designed to corner the waifufag market

Attached: 1-43-768x1024.jpg (768x1024, 82K)

Yeah it's pretty dumb. I just bought the Kobo because they were on sale.

It's true, they aren't as nice for longer reads. E-readers are better for pleasure reading, but they require an outlay, and then people feel limited by either being unable to put their current library (of physical books) on them, or being locked to a platform for e-books (even though you can pirate them).

But, I still prefer my iPad for text books.

Any good ebook torrent sites lads?

Want to get a yotaphone for that e ink second screen.

bump

>Kobo
Same problem that the software itself is crap and can't take full advantage of the hardware.

"free books" vs "you have to buy it on amazon and wait", also it's ecological

Mine is still working...

How does it corner the waifufag market, is it sized for manga?

can't see that on ali

>no bezel-less ip68 ereader
Yes, they are.

I sure envy you. the bottom side of my Kindle is bigger than the upper side and not being able to rotate the screen means having to handle it from the thinner side if I want to read it on portrait mode

>the weight of a book is about the same as an ereader
The fuck are you reading, colouring books?

Yes, and the chinks are all in love with their owo cyborg Alita movie

Attached: 20181128_043536.jpg (1836x1836, 1015K)

>because they're a bad device that are far worse than tablets and phones which they fell behind
if e-readers are bad devices because they don't have snapchat, candy crush, imessage, extremely powerful processors, etc. then sure. but e-ink technology is waaaaay more enjoyable to read on than an lcd screen. you don't have to worry about glare either. it's also nice only having to charge it once every few weeks.

until there's a breakthrough in e-ink tech, there's really nothing to innovate. even then, i don't think people are going to respond to color e-ink that positively -- the colors are way too muted and not ideal for photos, comics, etc.

Someone shill me a good eink device, I'm in the market

ereaders will die with the boomers

Attached: 1231231245657687666512.png (847x476, 370K)

Would an actual tablet that can move between normal tablet and eink be possible i wonder?

Probably not, but that's just about the only innovation I can come up with that hasn't been done on and ereader yet, that and wireless charging, but who cares about that shit except for normies.

Attached: 1517159477594.jpg (990x1200, 564K)

ereaders are absolutely better on your eyes and I would love to use them if they were only a better device all around

kindle paperwhite or kobo clara hd. all the kindles will be on sale next month for prime day btw

>still using micro usb
Even vapes are going usb-c now.

kindle oasis is $50 cheaper, cause of the new model they announced today

There are two-sided phones where one's an ereader and one's a standard LCD.

Lenovo Yoga Book C930?

well my Kindle is utter garbage for manga and comic reading in general, so that's quite appreciated actually

What's the price?
And never have heard of the brand.

sad stuff

I like the form factor of the Paperwhite more

Why would I need an e-reader when I can whip out my phone with an OLED screen?

Attached: 7A10BE15-70B9-4AEB-92E3-9B32C97DA0CD.png (1242x2688, 626K)

enjoy your eye cancer from trying to read a whole book on a blinding lcd

Attached: 1555294399154.jpg (1920x1080, 187K)

this

I typically go #bookz, libgen, maybe gutenberg if it is a public domain book.

You can buy an android tablet for $100 or less. Amazon wants damned near $300 for an Oasis, which is only a single function device.

bro theres this one weird trick its called turning the device upside down

Show full page, and how many mango can it hold?

The large ones are a rip off. Better off with a cheaper, lower end model.

How do you manage your library Jow Forums?

Let me know when I can buy a e-paper (e-ink is a brand like kleenex) monitor with display port and with a manual backlight switch to turn on/off.

I like my Kobo Aura H2O 2 (tm). It just werks and I can throw all my pirated garbage on there. The battery lasts for ages. And it has blue light blocking.

AMOLED is superior in every way to eink for reading and at night. Gets way dimmer and looks much better especially if you use a based font like computer modern.
If you still read manga you're just a child whose greatest accomplishment will be to understand the manga guide to statistics and fapping to lolicon on your eink devices. The big eink devices are bad unless you really think that no physical buttons today is acceptable. You're gonna drop it as soon as the one with buttons exists so just wait.

>any smartphone with OLED for $30-$100
>Moonreader and physical buttons are volume buttons
>scrollable for the manuscripts with books

I fell for the meme, you don't have to. A 2010 eink device is no different except for a light and no buttons.

The regular kindles are ok for reading fiction, but technical books are punishing to try and read on them. Not pdf friendly.

You can fit 128GB on an SD card

Attached: 20181221_170157_HDR.jpg (1836x1836, 879K)

I agree 100%, which is why I use a tablet for those types of books.

I guess that's going to be the game-changer now. The device now needs to reads book and manga.

the only thing e-readers have going for them are the screen. I can see tablets with e-ink screens being a thing in the future.

I got a kobo Clara for something like 70 bucks iirc
Battery last so long I cant get it to drain and the screen looks great for books
Its a bit slow though, good for the price

They should make o-readers.
Oled reader, but in color, and have speakers a DAC, and more powerful cpu/GPU with stylus support.
It would be neat if they could pull something like that off, but make it cheaper than a boox, and other note taking bw readers.

They brought audio back for some select models.

So what's an affordable e-reader for manga?

>manually

Um, user.....

Used Kobo Aura One or Likebook Mars probably.

isn't e-ink supposed to have less eye strain or is that just marketing bs?

It has way less and it's inverse to normal screen that the more light around the better it's to read, so just for being able to read long things comfortably outside and in office lightning makes it good buy for me.

ah yes because the act of actually reading is the most important part of content consumption

Thanks!

>you only need to carry one book at a time and the weight of a book is about the same as an ereader so there's no advantage for most people
Try saying that as a student; ereaders are a godsend. No more notebooks nor several kilograms of textbooks, just my one 550g ereader