>install pic related after years

>>install pic related after years
>> still buggy animations
>> still feels like from another planet
>> can't be used out of the box
>> needs tons of plugins

Why the fuck does this shit exists?
How much autism do you need to have to use it?

Attached: Gnomelogo.svg.png (1024x1243, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/HROMANO/nohotcorner/blob/master/extension.js)
github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock).
github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock/issues/966
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not desktop, it's GNOME.

Just literally disable animations then? Any sane person does that on their workstation, and maybe install dash to dock or dash to panel. I use gnome but I won't admit it has friendly defaults.

can you replace all gtk apps with qt/kde and make them look just like in kde with the breeze theme, icons and settings?

gtk2 still works fine but it's "deprecated". gtk3 removes countless options for flexible configuration. gnome3 as a result, is total shit out of the box for anyone who wants an efficient workspace. this affects people on other platforms as well.

for instance, gtk3 did away with being able to globally set toolbar icon sizes. let's say you use a gtk3 application under xfce or mate or lxqt, boom. many programs will have tiny, barely readable icons by default, and if the program itself does not offer the option to set its icon size, the only way to do it now is increase their size via scaling, which often makes everything look blurry and clownish (and of-course, gtk3 scaling is only guaranteed to work properly in gnome3).

gtk3 also did away with conventional menubars and uses csd by default. the result is gigantic fucking window decorations on gtk3 applications on different platforms. want to use a regular menu bar? be prepared to have the top of every window dominate your screen real-estate. can you change it via css? nope. as of gtk 3.10, not any more!

the gnome devs are truly worse than anyone at apple or microsoft, and they've made a mockery of the lignux desktop and the lignux community.

>can't be used out of the box
>needs tons of plugins
That's only the case, if you want to make GNOME look and behave like every other DE.
GNOME gave up on the conventional desktop analogy. Trying to remedy that with extensions is wasted effort. Just use any other DE instead.

do you have to review extensions' code for malware? what's the average loc? some kde 'extensions' are gigantic to review, I don't even bother

I feel like iit's been gradually going wrong for a while though. The original idea behind gnome was to have a system based around CORBA, to allow plugins and all sorts of integration and network transparent models. There was even a compound document standard called bonobo that let you embed bits of one file format in others so that you can embed a spreadsheet in a word processor document, as has been trivial in windows since 1995.

But no, they ripped it all out because CORBA was too complex for the devs. They changed what they could to DBUS, but the compound document standard and most of the standardised interfaces for plugins seem to be gone as well.

I quite like the Gnome-2 UI though. If MATE would have been based on an earlier version of the gnome-2 codebase (say, 2.4 or 2.6) it would be fucking awesome.

Gnome 3 not only has a retarded UI these days but deliberately destroyed their architecture. Quite painful because I used to love gnome.

>do you have to review extensions' code for malware?
I wouldn't trust extensions by default, no.
>what's the average loc? some kde 'extensions' are gigantic to review, I don't even bother
It depends on the extension. Some are just small tweaks (github.com/HROMANO/nohotcorner/blob/master/extension.js) others are huge projects (github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock).

my biggest issue with gnome is the direction they're going with nautilus

so to make gnome bearable I have to review extensions code, for every update, and also deal with e.g. github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock/issues/966
I wish a was a tiling minimal autist, at least I wouldn't be this frustated with the state of things. wayland has like 3 options

Yeah. I may like GNOME in general, but most of their software suite is shit (especially everything that calls itself an app).

Again, trying to change GNOME completely with extensions is wasted effort and will likely make matters worse. If you think that GNOME is unbearable without extensions, then it's definitely not the right DE for you.

use the ones that ship in your distro retard.
Or better don't use GNOME and use something that works for you out of the box like xfce. For me I use gnome without any extensions or simple tweaks

It's simple to use, it looks coherent, the animations are smooth, the search functionality is great. I use the default theme, default icon set and only one extension. Don't understand why it's unusable out of box, maybe there are some Fedora-specific tweaks I'm not aware of that make it work for me.

Attached: IMG_20190410_113322_275.jpg (927x740, 83K)

>Why the fuck does this shit exists?
Unironically gnome 2 momentum.

How about you pick a distro with a good implemenation, like pop os or clear linux?

Works fine for me, broski

Attached: 1535979719370.png (1600x900, 888K)

Attached: .png (1680x95, 197K)

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: gnomed.jpg (220x190, 7K)

doesn't help
scrolling is still bad compared to xorg without a compositor
video playback still drops fps when it shouldn't

gtk apps is better

>Still using a Frankenstein OS...

It still shocks me that Gnome can't even get thumbnails in the file picker right after more than a decade.

>maybe there are some Fedora-specific tweaks I'm not aware of that make it work for me
It's probably the lack of tweaks. Fedora tries to provide software close to upstream, while distros like Ubuntu and especially Debian apply their own patches.

Yes, but why the fuck wouldn't you just use KDE at that point

#metoo