Is it worth learning COBOL?

I heard that most people that know COBOL are either dead or retired and that all banks / government use it heavily. Do you Jow Forumsuys think it would be a lucrative language to learn?

Attached: COBOL111.jpg (1200x646, 131K)

I think it is a Boomer meme that continues to spread because no one has any knowledge of the subject or infrastructure. I heard it from several people while I was getting my degree, but they also claimed Solaris was still relevant too

When the boomers run out, they update the machines. No sooner, no later.

God I hated fucking COBOL. Oh look at me, I start arrays at 1, I'm so cute and readable. Fuck you!

No just learn C++ if you are a masochist and want job security.

My aunt was taught COBOL when she worked at an office and she says it's cool.
I couldn't find one good resource to learn it, maybe my google-fu is bad, if any anons have something about it I'd appreciate it.

solaris is relevant, unfortunately.

t. mil

Im learning it in a free course.
I abhor it.

>learn cobol, you will have job security!
this is such a boomer meme it hurts

I think when the time comes they won't bother maintaining the COBOL infrastructure and they will just upgrade it.

There was a small push about 5 years ago to get hipsters to learn COBOL and forth. Try Googling for "modern COBOL" or something like that

Had to learn it in my internship, it's fucking stupid how large scale organisations haven't moved on from this shit already. "It just werks" just won't cut it a decade from now, and inb4 "that's what they've said the past 50+ years!" the 2020s are going to be all about automation and smart tech to wipe this COBOL crap off the face of the Earth.

is cobol in docker?

>when your job's application has hundreds of thousands of lines of Cobol that you have to maintain

Attached: A349EC1748604573949BC45464FC16D6.jpg (625x496, 17K)

Well look it from a corporate perspective.
Pay 200k - 500k for a total modernization.
Or pay some freelancer 10k to maintain it or add stuff.

Nothing prevents you from running GnuCOBOL or compiled COBOL applications in a Linux container.

Nah. COBOL codebases at this point are too big and complicated to ever be replaced. It will always cost too much money to go in and understand what the fuck is actually going on inside those piles of shit.

When the last COBOL boomers start retiring they will start training new COBOL programmers from scratch, piling new shit on top is safer and cheaper than overhauling the whole pile of shit.

It already started,
t. mil who's getting a job in cobol

Most company's will argue COBOL is easier to pick up then it is to fund an effort to modernize applications. Theyd have the program maintainable bc no one knows shit about a mainframe anymore

Attached: 1533971832066.png (3640x2140, 1.45M)

COBOL is being sent to offshore you dolts. You're not getting any comfy COBOL work.

The more I look at it, the more stuff I find. This picture is both disturbing and fascinating to me. I also love all the details like the figures being recognizably based on real ones.

Is there an imgur gallery of these somewhere?

I should have posted a less distracting image

COBOL alone is not enough, you'll also have to learn the mainframes that run it.