The Intel Management Engine always runs as long as the motherboard is receiving power...

>The Intel Management Engine always runs as long as the motherboard is receiving power, even when the computer is turned off
>It has elevated priority over any operating system installed to storage
>Intel has disclosed very little information on this hidden operating system installed on CPUs since 2008

Why are you concerned with privacy on your Linux operating system when this thing exists?

Attached: backdoor-intel-management-engine.jpg (900x505, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TDk2RId8LFo
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Disable-ME-12-Cleaner
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/a-raft-of-flaws-in-amd-chips-make-bad-hacks-much-much-worse/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16081345
github.com/IAIK/ZombieLoad
networkworld.com/article/3236064/minix-the-most-popular-os-in-the-world-thanks-to-intel.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw you can never escape the botnet unless you go back to using shitty pre 2008 hardware

Attached: 1559477175819.gif (800x600, 413K)

>he didn't make his own arm cpu on an fpga

It really sucks. Even AMD has a similar thing in their processors. There's no escape from the botnet.

>Why are you concerned with privacy on your Linux operating system when this thing exists?
Because realistically it's never going to be used
If the ME really is a NSA tool it's not one that is just going to be used willy nilly on some random

Im not. Privacy is a meme and fodder for conspiracy theorists and NEETlords.

Attached: 1545141201980.jpg (342x245, 14K)

i could just block any outgoing connections from it in my router

>>Why are you concerned with privacy on your Linux operating system when this thing exists?
your biggest threats are passive collection, not a targeted attack. Both from NSA mass surveillance and the ad companies they outsource mass surveillance to.

Attached: 1542353364589.png (500x280, 202K)

Because that shit ain't sending data unless I receive a targeted attack. And I won't receive one because I care about privacy on my GNU plus Linux operating system.

doesn't that thing have a backdoor too?

>honestly thinking ME is anything but a tool for enterprise that is simply too complex to remove, (due to its requirements), for the few SKUs that tinfoils will buy at retail to stick into their GAYMING rig
I mean yeah it's an attractive attack vector but hardening ME is also a very high priority for Intel since their big enterprise customers rely on it.

But that's false, you can turn it off. It just requires really low level programming, is all. The system treats it as a regular PCIe device, there's nothing "scary" or "hidden" about it.

Attached: ime.png (1366x768, 177K)

If you disable it I thought it starts shutting off your pc every half hour (as it thinks the security of the cpu has been compromised).

Intel gives me a cold prickle, they’re trying to touch me in my naughty place. They said if I told they’ll kill me.

Shadow Brokers release proves the NSA can’t keep its shit from getting out into the wild.

It's a fancy KVM. Just as much of a 'botnet' as an ethernet card but Jow Forums is full of schizos off their meds as usual.

>Attribute: Read Only

>>The Intel Management Engine always runs as long as the motherboard is receiving power, even when the computer is turned off

Despite using any modern processor, according to you, we should all just unplug our desktops from time to time yes? It's a slight inconvenience, but so are many things. I would like to have freedom respecting software/hardware in a modern sense. Currently, running gnu/linux on an old fx-8320 (so before supposed back-door AMD).

I mean yeah it's an attractive attack vector but hardening ME is also a very high priority for Intel since their big enterprise customers rely on it.

It's not an attack vector. It's a backdoor for the few with the key to slip in.

It's a fancy KVM. Just as much of a 'botnet' as an ethernet card but Jow Forums is full of schizos off their meds as usual.

Explain what "KVM" is. Explain what "botnet" is. Now, explain why anyone in this day and age has doubt as to how/where data concerning our mundane day to day lives isn't being exploited. No matter the cause, it is malicious.

>(so before supposed back-door AMD
AGESA/Microcode/Intel FSP are also backdoors. Removing the ME/PSP don't really do shit.

Elaborate and provide links for said claims. Claims being: "AGESA/Microcode/Intel FSP are also backdoors. Removing the ME/PSP don't really do shit.

>pre-2008
>shitty
My Core 2 Quad dabs on any nu processor except Ryzen u zoomer scum

It's R/W with the reserved bits being read only.

?

Attached: Screenshot (14).png (699x362, 33K)

I keep my PC left with standby power as this helps the CMOS battery last longer.

It's actually circa 2012 if you use coreboot (not libreboot) on a Thinkpad X230 and Replicant on a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Talos II motherboards are expensive but new, and Purism's phone is due to come out this year, so a debotnetted rig of 2019 hardware is almost possible, if you have about $2000 to burn.

Don't lose hope, user. If we can get a libre system-on-chip off the ground, everything else will flow from that.

>Replicant on a Samsung Galaxy S3.
ahh yes, forget the intel backdoor, how about a closed gsm chip instead, great advice there glowie

>huehuehue Intel is sending all ur pron to da CIA XDDD
That's not how any of this works. If they literally had every Intel device connected to the net 24/7 receiving and sending data and passwords, the NSA and the CIA would be able to detain and stop terrorists and pederasts immediately. They would be able to break any encryption and know who is behind any Tor session. But they don't.

Yet we know, thanks to the latest NSA leaks, that they rely on social engineering and browser exploits to break encryption and break Tor's security. Ergo, IME is not funneling data to the NSA.
>AMD has PSP
PSP has no network access.

Attached: 1560789071268.jpg (736x1153, 310K)

You can also monitor your network traffic and see it isn't doing anything in an unprovisioned state.

Or you could even setup your own AMT server and provision it to that, it which case it blocks any other connection attempt.

>company named intel
>surprised it spy on you

Attached: 1488446042820.png (613x619, 147K)

take your meds you paranoid delusional schizo lmfao

>Core 2 Quad
>no meltdown/spectre mitigations
look at this cuck

I don't really know too much about it, but another user dropped this the other day. Replicant seems to be the coreboot of phones.

Attached: replicant versus lineageos, cyanogenmod, phones, android.png (1766x377, 104K)

Attached: 3.jpg (2258x1440, 564K)

If the NSA mandated that their security cameras in all bathrooms, would you be fine with it, knowing they have no reason to take an interest in you specifically?
What's that, user? You'd love it for some deliberately ironic reason that allows you to check out of this thread without thinking too hard because you made a joke? Well, never mind that.
Privacy is appealing even if you're not under the illusion of being persecuted or targeted.

*cameras be installed

Even on S3 they are not sure of gsm/modem backdoors:
>Second choices include the Galaxy S 2 (I9100), the Galaxy S 3 (I9300), the Galaxy Note 2 (N7100) and the Galaxy Nexus (I9250), in order of supported hardware features in Replicant (more to less). These devices are fairly common and easy to find. They do not run free bootloaders, but were not proven to have bad modem isolation and perform well with Replicant.

Here's an interesting talk about wifi chipset exploitation (yeah wifi chipset alone runs it's own RTOS):
youtube.com/watch?v=TDk2RId8LFo

PSP has no network access. It needs the OS to run a program to allow it to do so.

So unless the user runs said program, PSP can't connect to the network (unlike IME which can connect by itself.) If the user's PC is compromised in a way that a third party can run such program with administrative access, then the user is fucked anyway.

Attached: 4.jpg (1440x856, 462K)

Nice try AMDrone

Attached: yikes.png (2344x161, 42K)

That's enabled through the BIOS and can't use WiFi. Just disable it.

If an attacker can modify your BIOS settings, you're already fucked.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Disable-ME-12-Cleaner

Attached: 2019-06-20-055910_745x299_scrot.png (745x299, 90K)

>that gif
lul

>muh AMD PSP has no network access
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/03/a-raft-of-flaws-in-amd-chips-make-bad-hacks-much-much-worse/

It also has DASH faggot
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16081345

>he thinks you can disable the botnet with a few clicks
kek, can you stop your heart from beating with your brain alone?

if you're concerned about hardware botnet then get a Talos II Power9 system

And how would you know what the connections are? It’s literally above any OS, it can communicate in any way it wants. It can use Firefox to send your crap over https to them and you can’t even wireshark it. You’d have to disallow any connections in your router, which means no internet at all. It’s ogre.

blackpilled or just bluepilled

Attached: 1481335513678.png (307x311, 211K)

Yes got just (((disable))) it and it's gone. Trust us!

Buy Purism laptops. They put in quite a bit if work disabling most of ME.

Zombieload proof of concept
github.com/IAIK/ZombieLoad

Your heart beat is regulated by the brain so yes.

Then stop your heart from beating with your brain.

Have sex

>shitty
Wut.

Also this is Intel, AMD chips like FX don't have it, a 5.3GHz FX-9590 is pretty capable even today.

I header AMD FX series was last CPU's without this shit.
If its true i will stay on my fx-8370 for as long as possible.

You can turn off ME on new thinkpads. Thank you based Lenovvo!

Attached: not_all_heros.png (530x3137, 1.03M)

Privacy doesn’t matter

>not deleting IME from firmware and setting the HAP bit for good measure

>the most insecure thing about my Windows desktop is the embedded Linux distro on the motherboard for IME.

Thanks Linus Sebastian.

It's a Minix based OS, not Linux, you fucking moron. Based GPL (praise Stallman) wouldn't let Intel use Linux

networkworld.com/article/3236064/minix-the-most-popular-os-in-the-world-thanks-to-intel.html

Attached: 1517515392434.png (1134x206, 19K)

Cucked licenses fucking up the world as always.

Intel's gonna crash.

Attached: IntelPlane.jpg (1920x1080, 1.01M)