>repeat

>C
>build low end upgradable custom
>use and gradually upgrade for 5 years
>repeat

>D
>build low end upgradable custom
>consider upgrading several times
>use for 5 years without upgrading and realize upgrading it at that point would be a rip off for the prices
>repeat

>E
>buy used high end prebuilt business machine from a few years ago for cheap
>upgrade RAM/PSU/SSD/GPU
>use for 5 years
>repeat

strawpoll.me/18196931

Attached: 1534466693369.png (1024x680, 582K)

>build mid-high end custom
>upgrade repeatedly every year or two
>sell or junk the old parts

Firmly im the E column. Yes, I'm a cheap bastard.

Not going by:
>Constantly buy parts as it makes sense to upgrade until you hit the "I bought a cpu that really should have a new mobo for best performance" wall

The last time I swapped all my components at one time was because I needed to jump to ddr4.

I don't think I'll be leaping to ddr5 any time soon.

Currently D

Thought of upgrading it and have some money but I dont feel like it. Thought of building a lower mid tier next around $1000 build next. I know nothing though and just used the logical increments site and stuff that fit my budget last time. Will probably do the same again this time.

cunny

>F
>build midrange upgradable custom
>use until parts die/become too slow
>might go for low end build next time

> F. Scrounge around for used parts in the garbage and use that indefinitely until something breaks

What's with the 5years wall? Easy D.

>buying computers
>ever

Attached: 1560856847555.png (1133x860, 336K)

Degenerate. Enjoy your ban.

>bought mid-high end prebuilt dell studio xps from 2009
>steadily upgrade hdd/ssd/ram/gpu/psu until eventually maxxed out mobo full capability
>still using after almost 10 years
>no prob with any game or app. can ultra setting most games at 1080p

What's the point of your post?

D
Need to jump to ddr4 now so it's basically a whole system replacement. I swear I'm going to upgrade it this time

gayman laptop cuckbox.
general use case is: I want a fully portable PC that can run my games. I have no interest in bulky towers that cant travel with me on an airplane when needed.

>gen1 i7
>ultra settings in 1080p
If you play nothing with any AI or physics.

>build cheapest pc
>use the cheapest gaming processor paired with RTX560
> look for second hand
> buy 60€ monitor
> start upgrading the motherboard in 1 year
> sell used motherboard
> meanwhile lurk for second hand processors and monitors
> sort prices from cheap to high

Attached: 72998EAF-8ADE-48E6-9ADD-D5810B0AB886.jpg (385x382, 37K)

degenerate website

More like b for me then went with a laptop for 3 years then a mid-high tier for a couple years kept a few components while moving back overseas built another with a good cpu i7 4790 and ended up buying the same gpu I sold (7970) kept that until a few months ago and got a used 1080ti. Ryzen 3 looks good but the i7 is still strong, not worth getting anew Mobo and fast ram too

(f) -- find computer that some one else tossed to the curb.

buy parts or strip parts from other computers to max out the computer -- use until find anther computer-

currently waiting on a mSata ->ide to install 240 gig m2 sata into a Apple G4 600mhz laptop

Attached: stupid cat.jpg (500x447, 20K)

I got a Thinkstation D20 for free from a local business because I helped them with their network. Picked up some 5:4 Thinkvisions for $2 each from the landfill, then I use my Amstrad keyboard and Logitech trackball which I have had for years. Spending hundreds of dollars on computers makes no sense.

I buy a laptop and then I buy another laptop. I only use PC in my bed. Naturally I buy entry level gaming laptops because they run everything but not hot enough to melt my knees. Recently I bought a bed table though so I might buy something more powerful next time.

Attached: images.jpg (183x275, 6K)

>build mid-range pc that runs like high-end in games because 1600x900 monitor
>keep for 2 or 3 years
>get new card, motherboard, cpu, and memory
>give old stuff to younger brother, friends, or sell for really cheap

>E
>buy mostly midrange componets and upgrade whenever it feels too dated

I built a midranged PC in 2017, I think I'm going to sell it and build a new one, sucks because there's nothing I can keep except for my case, so I think I'll just sell the whole thing and start over

>cheap 500W psu, don't trust it for new build
>Ryzen 1600 currently, going to upgrade to 3900X
>low end B350 mobo, don't trust that either for the new cpu
>need more RAM cause I keep running out at 16GB
>filled up my current SSDs, probably will go for M.2 NVME
>want to upgrade RX580 to go for 2K ultra 100+ fps, probably an RTX this time around

So I'm left with the case, which is a nice case, but I think it'll be easier to offload the whole thing in one lump sum and put that towards a new build.

>G
>Buy high end custom PC
>Upgrade parts over time
>Mix of parts, some dating back many years.

>2600k, GTX 680 rig
>replace stock fans with noctua in 2013
>got 2nd SSD in 2015, canned the HDD
>2016, upgraded GPU, GTX 1080
>2018, buy 9900k
Still using same PSU and Case and 1 SSD from 2011.

I dumpster dive for pc keep the best parts for myself and sell the rest. For the money from sold parts i buy the ones that i can't find for free.

1 get free shit PC
2 slowly upgrade.
3 repeat no.2

Why the fuck whould that bitch have a power tool?

>C

>Make a higher-low tier PC (Pentium G440 with 8GB of DDR4 ram)
>Very gradually upgrade parts.
>Pentium < i5
>8GB < 24GB
>get an actual GPU

>Repeat for the inevitable future

based

Attached: 1534073725455.jpg (2560x1920, 659K)

B - Just upgraded so i´m fine for the next 5 years.
i7 9700k, 32 gb 3200 ghz ram, Vega 64 (will swap out, when something new comes out)

>9700k
Oh user I...

The big brain method:
>build the best price/performance mid range setup
>couple of years later buy a decent GPU upgrade
>couple of years later repeat

This isn't Reddit, retard.

>build ok tier custom
>use until it breaks
>repeat

>5 years
None of them...I built a high end custom in like 2011 and have been using that the whole time
I don't play games anymore though

>use for 5 years
>implying I can't care for my devices
This computer was mid-range when I bought it in 2011 and all I've done to it over the years was add a SSD, a new PSU, and change the thermal paste every 2 years. Still just werks. Planning on using it till... I dunno, it dies?

I'm in the legendary F section
>buy high end custom
>use for 3 years
>add-on upgrade not replace whenever I see cheap stuff on the local market
>after 6 years I have full water cooling and 2 high end amd gpus I got for cheap

Thinkstation>Thinkcentre

Stephen?

Right now c (started with 3770k, 8gb, r7 240 4gb; ended up with 3770k, 16gb, r9 390). May be a B for my next build, don't know yet.

B but my timeframe is 8-10 years

E, but it was leftovers from a business college that shut down. Decent Intel i7 and GPU at least, lasted me well enough till I wanted to do some newer games so I basically took everything I could to a new system. Only RAM and CPU though, GPU wouldn’t fit though because Dell and (((propriety))) designs. Got a 1060 6GB cheap though. Next time I upgrade I might be checking out AMD, depends on the landscape at the time and what I’m wanting to do.

>Z
>Steal 2x 4 core 2009 mac pro from work (was dumped in storage and forgotten about), add RX 580, install windows
>Upgrade after a year to 2x 6 core OCed, dirt cheap xeons from China
>Probably won't be able to repeat this, but should last me another 3-5 years

Attached: mac-pro-2009-open.jpg (500x600, 64K)

> build PC with i5 2500k and just upgrade the GPU until the end of times

who here /B.1materrace/?
>B.1.
>buy high end maxxed out custom 6 months after said high end parts have been in the market then use for 5 years

>there is only high or low end
>nothing in between
I built mid end pc. Might update to ryzen 3 just because I can. But I would like to keep it as is for as long as I feel it works well enough.

baste

E except i use it for longer periods of time

D
I built my PC 4 years ago but am still going to wait another 5 before I start over with something by Raptor

E every time.
Who the fuck actually enjoys scrolling though endless web pages to compare parts and prices for a computers worth of components?
Just buy the first good value computer you see with roughly the specs you want, stick in the upgraded PSU from your old machine (If you aren’t using the old machine for anything graphics intensive then you can stick the PSU from your new machine into your old one. Pretty much always good to reuse old machines for file servers or backups.) then just stick in whatever GPU you had in mind. Bam; you've only wasted an hour tops on the whole build.

For the same reason you are calling a 4 year old girl "bitch".

C & B

>F
>build high end maxed out custom
>use for 10-15 years
>no "repeat"/upgrade needed since tech and software have stagnated and you only need to upgrade if you buy into bloated OS or software

If you built a high end PC right now you'd not need to update for fucking 40 years of more, even if you were a gaymer.

Attached: 2007.jpg (4576x2000, 1.85M)

>Z
>Buy low-mid end computer 10 years ago
>Still not upgraded and just work off my laptop

No, I think you have the wrong board. The one you're looking for is /v. (I know it can be confusing sometimes)

I went from prebuilt 486 -> prebuilt P3 -> prebuilt P4 -> prebuilt PD -> custom i7 920 -> custom i7 4770k -> custom i7 9900k

Next upgrade I'll probably be in 10nm++++++++++++

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's the cheapest and most effective option.

>choose a good case and PSU
Will last minimum 10 years
>choose a good mobo
Will last minimum 5 years, bonus points if the socket stays in use for future generations
>good unlocked CPU with 6+ cores
Will last minimum 5 years too

GPU, RAM and storage can always be upgraded as needed. This is how 200 IQs build a PC.

Give me E.
Business desktops or just their CPUs and memory is golden.
Stack of business laptops in Semprons and 2x512mb. Now buy Turions 2.2 dual cores for $9, 2x2gb for $14, SSD for $20 and new batteries for $20. Total for $43 each laptop.

Attached: Memories yay.png (1459x736, 669K)

btfo

>5 years in every category

I don't think I own a single computer newer than 2012.