Smart Light for Privacy Freaks

I want a cheap tunable light bulb that lets me set the brightness and color temperature... but I do NOT want it to connect to the internet.
Is there a cheap tunable light bulb with 100% local control?

Attached: bulbs.jpg (675x675, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a fucking light bulb, it doesn't have a microphone and a camera in it mate.
Don't like the thought of someone hacking it and knowing when you're in your house? Criminals are not that smart, and the whole idea is easily defeated by keeping the damn thing on when you're out of the house.
Make me a tinfoil hat when you're done with that RFID wallet faggot.

Lightbulbs are botnet.

Easy there, fella.

Get those cheap chinese lightbulbs that are switched with an infrared remote

Attached: 28da060f-a907-46d3-bfc8-2c2c57ceb5fb.jpg (1200x1200, 88K)

>find a company in china to build them for you ( min order 10000)
> sell the rest on Jow Forums
>??????????
>profit

Anything Chinese is botnet.

>it doesn't have a microphone and a camera in it mate.
How do you know that?
Never heard about the bulbs having a tv-style remote but the entire light fixtures do

Attached: 1535562897_kalifea_90081_5_hrom.jpg (600x600, 48K)

>How do you know that?
What purpose would it serve you schizo bastard? And you can tell pretty bloody plainly by examining the damn things.

This is a great idea. Thanks.

Just get Philips Hue. Since they use ZigBee you don't have to use their bridge and can use a Raspberry Pi with a ZigBee module instead.

Attached: Philips-Hue.png (1000x1000, 540K)

Oh and since you said you wanted something cheap you might want to check out IKEA Trådfri instead. It also uses ZigBee.

Attached: ikeabulby.png (356x655, 88K)

Lifx bulbs do reach out to their server, but you can block access on your firewall, then self host a lifx server. Home assistant can talk locally to the bulbs out of the box, and would recommend home assistant if you want smart home stuff without cloud bs

>he illuminates his room with any color other than warm white
Shiggy diggy doo

Buy a dimmer you fag

>paying 600x the price of a normal light bulb because your too lazy to press a switch

Buy lots of different light bulbs and tune them by turning them off or on

youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo

>smart lightbulbs

>but I do NOT want it to connect to the internet
Why would a fucking smart light bulb connect to the internet?

You've got to be kidding me. This can't be real.

Next video: How to install AV on your bulb

I somehow managed to lose the remote and now it just keeps rotating colors. Great lamp tho, especially for the price.

>Is there a cheap tunable light bulb with 100% local control?
Lifx bulbs are apple homekit compatible, and apple homekit is the ONLY protocol that is:
a) point to point encrypted
b) controlled on your local subnet only, by your phone and nothing else

philips hue lights and every other lights are botnets, but unfortunately this being Jow Forums, you are completely against apple so good luck with your samsung bridge or other botnet

>Lifx bulbs are apple homekit compatible, and apple homekit is the ONLY protocol that is:
>a) point to point encrypted
>b) controlled on your local subnet only, by your phone and nothing else

>he unironically believes this

It's not fucking rocket science. Get rid of your trash isp network gear, set up an iot vlan, block outbound internet traffic on that vlan. Either set up an mdns bridge between iot and Lan, or set up something like home assistant and dual home it across the tho subnets

i dont give a fuck about colored lighting i have plant lights i want to set up on an automated timer and sync them up and there is no reason i need a fucking wifi enabled plug to do that when i can just use an extension cord

this is like a clickhole nightmare video

>Why would a fucking smart light bulb connect to the internet?
don't ask me, ask the fuckers who make the bulbs

This piece of technology is more useful than anything modern science has shat out.

Attached: mechanische-zeitschaltuhr.jpg (1200x675, 114K)

Go with infrared controlled and get pic related.

Anything over wifi or bluetooth can be MITM'd and you can expect that a bulb will not be patched.
You don't want a backdoor into your wlan.

Attached: infrared-jack.jpg (800x800, 41K)

top fucking kek

yeah thats what i use i just figured i would be able to somehow utilize the science of RADIO FREQUENCIES to synchronize two of them across my apartment because otherwise they drift

Build your own. Even a retard like me could do a project that simple.

set up your own private wifi network that is off the internet and use it exclusively for home automation

>by your phone
>phone
Your phone is certainly not connected to the internet or GSM/LTE is it? Oh wait...

>blocking your lightbulbs on the firewall

man this arms race thing is getting out of hand

The Tiananmen Square Protests of 1989 etc.

>You've got to be kidding me. This can't be real.

It's an elaborate spoof. Funny though. The bona fide method to reset is a 15 second blast on high in the microwave.

>creating a server for your lightbulb

So much for modern "convenience".

a) you can't self host a lifx server, why would anyone do that?
b) you can configure them to call out to the botnet if you want to use the lifx app specifically on your phone, which is retarded - any sane person would use native homekit functionality and control the lights with point to point connections from their phone

The most expensive ones are 10x

> Convoluted IoT bullshit just for dimming a light
What, does PWM not work on LED lamps or something? If you really want the remote control you could connect the dimmer itself to some system and use whatever lightbulbs you please...

lifx+homekit = botnet free, no firewalling or 3rd party phone apps required because it all runs natively on your lan

Attached: no botnet.webm (1280x720, 2.96M)

Does this require an iPhone?

Retard-kun, the problem isn't that somebody knows when you're at home because of the shitty security of your IoT device, the problem is that the shitty security of your IoT device might provide an attack vector for more important devices in your home network or that it could be added to some botnet, which might get your IP banned by various sites if they're ever targeted with malicious activity coming from your botnet bulb.

They have an Android app also.

Who are "they"? Lifx or Apple?

yes, homekit is an apple technology unfortunately. i dont think android has anything similar, but even if it did we both know it would require you being signed into google to work ;)

lifx are bulbs designed to work on their botnet app, but are also homekit compatible which is iOS peer to peer technology that doesn't require any apps or internet to work, but you do need your iphone to control it