Why should you make your projects open source?

Why should you make your projects open source?

Attached: JTC_0-9n_400x400.jpg (400x400, 30K)

Oh but I won't. My work costs money and I will not give it away for free.

There's really no reason not to

If you know you'll never make money with this product. I love using other people's FOSS shit but making my own - forget it.

For street credit.

"should" is a rhetorical term with no real meaning

Pseud. Also wrong and moronic.

/thread

i am rubber and you are glue

Autism

Because there's a huge quality gap between "open source product that others might use" and "commercial product that others might buy", and I'm just not good enough to bridge it.

1. If your project is being used for scientific work it will see greater adoption if it's open source.
2. An open source project can benefit from upstream changes.
3. If your project is directly linked to a product that needs to be bought separately you don't have to worry about people using your project without paying. An example for this would be the official open source drivers for Intel's RealSense camera.

no one is going to use your closed source software but you. if everyone shares their shit software you don’t have to write everything from scratch yourself

To make other people contribute to it, or pass the torch when you get tired of it. If it's open and useful people will keep updating it for free.

hah your work is worthless

You shouldn't. You should make them free software instead.

To spite freetards

>freetards
Only a slave would insult a man for being free.

You shouldn't. You should make it free. The OSM is a blight.

Because some foot fungus eating jew said so

because some other idiots could contribute some shit and save my time and effort

no. this particular example is of plain stupidity

seek psychiatric assistance, Ivan

To add to your GitHub portfolio, so someone might see your work and give you that sweet data scientist job that you'll never get.

>make project open source
>now in addition to office politics you have people worming their way into your private work email to inject their politics into your life because they read your sourcecode and feel morally obligated to eke out what little control over you they can because it's their sick wholly sexual fetish
>can't just blow them off and ignore them because your freetard coworkers that you loathe take their side and begin bitching about it in meetings
You're insufferable niggers and I'll never release the source code to anything that isn't wholly owned by me myself and I ever again.

>reading comprehension: 0

open source especially MIT license harms freedom
make free software, use GPL, and sell support
example: Canonical, SUSE, Red Hat make big money from selling support for free GNU software

>Why should you make your projects open source?
Exposure

Literally this

For free, you say?

Attached: 1558723796952.jpg (800x544, 50K)

This. You can theoretcially still sell binaries, as most normies can't compile software themselves.

>using free software makes you free
tard

>systemd has arrived.

systemd is free software.

It makes you more free than using proprietary software.