What have you learned today, Jow Forums

what have you learned today, Jow Forums
im currently learning how to load shared objects at runtime in order to facilitate a rudimentary plugin system
im not good at this stuff yet but i will get there one day

Attached: glearning.jpg (2191x1010, 190K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/experimental/fs
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

40 kanji

thats very nice, user
how long have you been learning?
i wanted to try it long ago but decided i would rather learn latin
then i didnt learn latin

I can't not learning something everyday because I need to be the best, I don't have much in my life but this shit dude programming is the only thing i have in my life and I can't fail on that

im not entirely sure what you just said but i beleive in you user

>it's another sissy white boy programmer thread

not a sissy or a programmer, just a boring office worker who likes to learn things for no particular reason

only two weeks ago, at work i have an hour with nothing to do where i used to shitpost but even shitposting got boring so i picked up runes
also knowing a third language sounds useful i guess

Have to make a "folder synchroniser" in C++ using the new std::filesystem.

i know what you mean
i only got into programming because i had to learn excel functions for a job that came in a while back
after that eye opening event i started to make ms word macros that make my job 500% easier in my spare half hour at work
and from there started to learn real programming at home and here i am
im just starting out with c for now, so im not familiar with much of c++
from "new" and "std::" im guessing that a new "revision" or whatever came out to c++ standard? whats going on with that?

The C++ standards committee finally put a specification in the language that there should be a standard filesystem library with linear and recursive iterators. In natural tongue, C++ can safely work with files now as well as their contents.
en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/experimental/fs

neat
i havent done much involving working with files from within a program yet, but i imagine im going to have to learn it alongside what im currently learning for the plugin system

Sure but I don't see why you're doing it in C.

i want to learn c because from what i understand you get a better understanding of what goes on "behind the scenes"
i wrote a very simple plugin for a minecraft server once
thats what got me interested in this project in the first place
because i had no idea how any of that shit actually worked, it just did
i can already tell how much of a difference there is between the languages and how much more you actually need to know to make things work right in c

also if i ever left my job for a programming thing, i would probably want to work with embedded stuff and firmware and such

I worked in embedded and it was such a rabbit hole. Miniscule deadlines and incompetent management. They saw a bunch of small chips and thin boards and thought it's not as serious as big mainframe programming.
Interestingly enough, there's very little programming expertise required for embedded, it's mostly surface-level work. At most, you'll need to write a driver for linux and wait for the big cuck to merge it. What you do need to know is computer architecture itself, the hardware. Sofware is a bunch of yadda yadda, the electrical engineering behind it is what will make you a good situational programmer.\
Worked on a big company for image processing and android phone cameras.

yeah, i want to learn the electrical stuff too sometime soon, just gotta get my reading list sorted out, blaze through that, and then get started
got a little fund set aside for materials already
my main interest in programming at this point is where software and hardware connect to generate a change in the real world, which is why im interested in embedded

im diving in to the programming part first because its what i had the most experience with
that, and from what i have read and been told, low level programming and electrical engineering use similar cognitive processes, so if you get one then you will probably be fine with the other
programming is a lot cheaper and less dangerous to play around with to figure out if i have the right mind for this stuff

if i can get those down and get my self into embedded stuff, which would be a huge pay raise over what im currently making, then i can save up and formally learn mechanical engineering as well

i figure after all that i can build the things i dreamed about making as a kid one day, maybe

Oh I see, no no, you want to be the boss man or it will fall apart quickly. Learn mathematics and tons of it, as well as electrical engineering, the rest you only need basic knowledge in and can hire low paid workers for.
Linear algebra, calculus 1, 2, ordinary and partial differential equations, numerical analysis (!), statistics. Then the world is your playground, pick up any electrical engineer curriculum from a big university and follow the books, watch MIT/stanford lectures.
You don't want to be the guy who actually wastes his life doing the hard work.

im afraid both the planning/design and the actual building things itself are equal parts of the dream
i figure even after getting a formal education in engineering i would still keep working in embedded while doing my dream in my own time. there are 24 hours in a day after all and as an insomniac i only use 4 of them on average for sleep
40 to 60 hours each week for a day job and the rest is free to pursue my goals without the extra responsibilities of a boss man or the lack of freedom of a worker

keep embedded work for stable income, and do some inventing and building freely at home
maybe patent a useful thing or two and get some royalties out of it on the side, but even if i dont i at least would get to do something that makes me happy

ive learned that visual studio is shit

lel

visual studio is actually pretty good, one of the best ide's in existence, no idea what you're talking about.

>what have you learned today, Jow Forums
I learned that my job depresses/burns the fuck out of me and that I should go seek a psychiatrist.
Same thing as every day really.

>opens vs
>stuck on loading for 3-5 mins
>tries to load a project
>crash
yeah i'll stick to vim