inb4 vim or emacs

VSCode
>has IntelliSense and language support
>places dumb .vscode folder in your project folder
>Microsoft botnet

Atom
>No IntelliSense but also language support
>Not as bloated as VSCode

theyre both electron shit so whats better?

Attached: Atom-no_shadows-512.png (512x512, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/8688
github.com/dessalines/essays/blob/master/microsoft.md
github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

VSCode

sublime
/thread

Vscode. Just add .vscode to . gitignore

thank you

sublime is trash

vscodium

this

Know how to use Vim, use VSCode when it's handy.

notepad++, its inconvenient but it's syntax highlighting is pretty based, it's got like a million languages
Atom is like wtf how do I do this

atom died when vscode was released, surprised that anyone is still using it

you should add that to the global gitignore so you don't pollute repositories with dev-specific or env-specific stuff

atom is the slowest and most bloated piece of shit editor i've ever used. vscode can run on my shitty 1.4ghz laptop with 2gb of ram, whereas atom slows everything to a fucking halt. yeah you can run it on a good pc, but that doesn't mean it's not bloated shitware.

>Asks which is better : apples or oranges
>fag replies grapes
The literal state of programmer scum.

>>Not as bloated as VSCode
good joke

VSCode seems pretty good juts because of its debugger support. bros what do?

VScodium

also
>Atom
>not bloated
kek

Atom is bloated as fuck.

>has IntelliSense and language support
Both have, you just need to install the right plugins.

>places dumb .vscode folder in your project folder
Learn to .gitignore

>Microsoft botnet
Use vscodium. Anyway Atom is own by microsoft too now.

it's yout opinion. They are both bloated

Jus use the one with the best plugins fitting your needs. But VsCode is maybe a bit better performance wise..

define bloated

>>Microsoft botnet
you can build it yourself, no need to use vscodium

ATOM
T
O
M

VSbotnet is nonfree, published binary installer contents don't match code in repo.
use free software, user

Atom is a sluggish load of shit. It's owned my Microsoft now anyway, so botnet isn't an argument. If you're going to go with an Electron-based editor, VSCode is the only reasonable option. Otherwise use Sublime or go for a real IDE.

I just wish MS would merge them. Atom seems to have better plugin options.

atom sucks ass, only thing microsoft should do to merge them is use the theme from atom as default in vscode.

but grapes are better than apples and oranges.
you can make fine wine with grapes.

vscode is the only text editor worth a damn unless you really wanna go vim

I've had VSCode dump gigabytes of shit into its .vscode directories. But at least it's not dog slow like Atom.

I don't understand people who use something other than emacs or vim.

vim keybindings are good but actually using it as an editor is stupid. There is more to life than fucking around with ancient editors that have dodgy plugins that take an age to configure until you're productive and even then not as productive as a real IDE.

use a real IDE with vim keybindings

There's more to vim than bindings, those bindings are supposed to have access to a range of navigation options, including lists, otherwise they're not that repeatable. Besides, LSPs are a thing now.

Learn gdb

don't trust microshat
>when you install windows it places efi vars to unique identify you even if you format your pc it's never gone
>even if you clear that efivar the windows store still knows what apps you installed even if you NEVER used an online account, tl;dr they create a fingerprint of your machine using common techniques
>they keep repeating that information is never used across their products but all of them use a hash of your mac address github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/8688
>their compiler insert telemetry
>they probably collect anything you do when dealing with extensions, what you're browsing, what you have installed, etc
>they'll use that data not only to push for azure but to manipulate the market just like facebook buys any new social network that starts getting popular (e.g. whatsapp, instagram). they see a trend and they'll act on it. that's why they bought github and they want complete developer mindshare
I could keep going but it's time for my meds

Attached: 51859.jpg (720x480, 57K)

b-but its so comfy...
is vscodium better?

It's designed to make you feel safe just like how """anons""" push you to use LTSC and """anti-spying""" tools that don't do shit since they have full control of the underlying pieces.
Makes them feel like they are smarter than the botnet, but the botnet already won.

vim

Guys, I tried using VSCode instead of Atom for a week, but every time I rest my mouse anywhere, I get a bunch of popups with useless information I already knew. EVERY TIME. It really triggers my OCD.

In VSCode the search feature is written in Rust

I would rather use something like Kate or Geany.

/thread

Oh no, what if MS takes that information and tells my mummy?

github.com/dessalines/essays/blob/master/microsoft.md
your using software from the enterprise mafia
install gnu

at least they have a good coc github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

Using too much resources to do a specific task. Atom is generally more wasteful than VSCode, so it's more bloated.

i like good coc(k)
>me pic related

Attached: 1555204622714.gif (420x240, 386K)

second your /thread

How so? It's better than an electron based editor in terms of performance that's for sure.

VS Codium is great. Nano or kate for standard text manipulation.

This but I use vi(m)

Vim

VSCode, atom is unusable

Not him, I was pretty sure atom was lighter than vscode when I used mint. But now on manjaro vscode is much lighter. Is it the case of 32-bit and 64 bit? I did use 32-bit mint cinnamon.

VScode has telemetry in it, use VScodium for telemetry-free experience.

>which is better cutting of my dick or going on hrt?
>user replies: go see mental health doctor
Somehow that is bad.

The syntax highlighting engine of Notepad++ is fucking garbage though

use sublime = see a mental health doctor
alright

>atom
>not as bloat
>5 seconds to open an text editor

it doesnt parse your whole project like intellisense in vscode

Yes. That is only sane choise given situation.

it's the case of pajeets swapping places
vscode is still bloated, but got better while getting more features
atom is going the gnome way

> atom
> not bloated

VSCode is pretty amazing for frontend, specially React. Atom has that one god tier regex railroad diagram extension and I like it better for doing backend dev.

imagine being this schizophrenic

you have to go back micro$hill

you mean redpilled

None. They are web-based bloatware.
Eclipse blows them all out of the water (not joking, try it for whatever language you are using).
Eclipse incremental Java compiler even rekts ItelliJ's.

>not as bloated as VSCode
Debatable. VSCode clocks in at 200MB while atom's a whopping 700MB, both without plugins.
Either are too much for text editors if you ask me, but I'd recommend VSCode if you want a customizable code editor with excellent completion.

VSCodium.
I have no idea what MS did, but VSCodium feels very snappy and responsive, despite using Electron. Atom, on the other hand, feels as heavy as it could be.

It is. It's fully floss, no telemetry included.
The rest of that post stands for Windows 10, though.

>no telemetry
Except for the entire marketplace and every action you take involving extensions. And the check update pings, and the payloads for every extension update.

No add it to .git/info/exclude . Don't pollute .gitignore as just said.

I used both.
Atom is definitely more bloated than VSCode.

ddd or gdb tui are basically the vs debugger

Only people who write bloat need bloat to do their thing.

really made me think

Attached: 1550463213627.png (645x773, 24K)

>/threading your own post
fucking reddit

>theyre both electron shit so whats better?
Probably vscodium

It's actually, ok, but only if I or someone licensed by me does it.
/thread

I didn't know that. Back to lurking for me, I guess, still too new. Sorry for the trouble.