/hgt/ – Haiku General Thread

Welcome to the /hgt/ – Haiku General Thread!

Haiku is an open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

Official Website: haiku-os.org/
Downloads: download.haiku-os.org/
Forum (not for bugreports): discuss.haiku-os.org/
Bugtracker (only for OS bugs, not for ports): dev.haiku-os.org/
Localization: i18n.haiku-os.org/
Virtualizing Haiku guides: haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/
Gerrit review system: review.haiku-os.org/
CGIT: git.haiku-os.org/
GitHub mirror (read only mirror, do not send PR): github.com/haiku/
Buildbots: build.haiku-os.org/
HAIKU for other architectures: haiku-os.org/guides/building/port_status

PORTS: ———————–
HaikuPorts repo: github.com/haikuports/haikuports
HaikuPorts bugtracker: github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues
HaikuPorts Wiki (what is package management and how to make a package): github.com/haikuports/haikuports/wiki
HaikuDepot Web Interface (do not forget to select your architecture): depot.haiku-os.org
Buildbot Interfaces: build.haiku-os.org
HaikuArchives (3rdparty open source BeOS/Haiku programs): github.com/HaikuArchives

CHAT / SOCIAL: ———————
IRC: #haiku at freenode : irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/haiku
IRC Log: echelog.com/logs/browse/haiku/
Haiku official mailing list: freelists.org/archives/haiku/
Telegram: @haikuos

INC and FINANCES: ———————
Haiku Inc.: haiku-inc.org/
Donations: haiku-inc.org/donations.html#online
Founding: haiku-os.org/community/organization/funding/

Attached: 2E830E49-BB1D-47FF-95E4-2E2105D18B91.png (316x102, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

connect.linaro.org.s3.amazonaws.com/sfo17/Presentations/SFO17-417-SEL4.pdf
thunix.net/~techemporium/browzos_project/desktop.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Daily reminder 5G causes cancer.

Attached: 5G_CAUSES_CANCER.png (1852x952, 941K)

No multiuser support = Security hell = RETARDED MEME SHIT

no one cares about multiuser

Unbased and bluepilled.

>no one cares about multiuser
>just run everything as root bro

Attached: 1558692301866.png (700x1007, 801K)

Haiku is not some discord tranny shit. It's been around for a long time, and even though it probably won't be production ready for another 10 years, you have no clue what you're talking about and are an enormous fucking faggot.

Do you ever used to read about the future plans?
Have you ever used computers in the early 90’s as Linux was nothing else just a strange hobbi-project?
Are you deciding only because the current state of a project?
Are you uninterested in motivations, imagination, reform and changes?

>Are you uninterested in motivations, imagination, reform and changes?
Yes, but I’m not interested in entertaining this new-age retarded progress fallacy. If the change is good, I’ll consider it. If it’s not, I’m not gonna back it and/or shill it for the sake of “muh different”, “muh change”, “muh progress”.

I think when looking at designing a new OS, we should look to something with capability-based security like seL4/Genode or something like that. Something that’s solving real, persistent problems that have existed since the dawn of computing.
connect.linaro.org.s3.amazonaws.com/sfo17/Presentations/SFO17-417-SEL4.pdf

He's an underagebanned 15 year-old who has no appreciation for real computing because his brain has been warped by itouch trash. He saw a project he never saw before and assumed it was some trendy nu bullshit. From the looks of the overused forced meme image, probably a Jow Forumsreject too. Just ignore, they don't know how to process anything but infographics and emoticons.

don't care just needs administrator restrictions

Haiku has been around for 18 years you retarded fucking zoomer. Probably older than you. It is meant to be an open source recreation of BeOS from the early 90s, and was started around the same time that development fell off with BlueEyedOS (an attempt to create a BeOS binary-compatible lignux distro with the same look and feel). They've been writing their OS from fucking scratch since then. Some of us are twice your age and have been watching the project and testing it out for years. "Muh change" and "muh progress" have nothing to do with it. Stop imposing your childish, misinformed, subliterate mungeon bullshit on everything you can't understand. Go fuck yourself you miserable faggot.

nobody whines about riscos when i shill that, its a shame haiku has to have these lame anti-memers in its threads

It's a shitstained mix of underage summerfaggots, people from /v/ and tech-illiterate cunts from Jow Forums who think all tech they don't recognize is made by purplehaireddykekikes. These sub-90-IQ apes have been shitting up this board for months now. Twenty times worse than australians and bots and pajeets combined.

>cringecompilation.jpg

Imagine being so delusional that you use a meme OS with no real security features and feel englightened for it.

>b-but muh BeOS! This will be ready before 2040!

BeOS is dead and will never be alive again. Get over it.

Imagine being such a fucking zoomer that you're completely out of your element in a simple thread like this, have embarrassed yourself and been btfo consistently, yet are still trying to save face.

No one is using Haiku as their daily driver yet you fucking brainwrecked potato. We hope to one day sooner than later though. Get back to sucking cocks under the desk you little cum janitor. You jizmop anal bead. You insignificant little cuntwart.

Attached: ghando.jpg (986x756, 85K)

So many great research, hobby and development operating systems, yet you post about Haiku.
You're a original Haiku dev, aren't you?

Attached: 05_ARM20.jpg (1024x765, 120K)

>Imagine being such a fucking zoomer that you're completely out of your element in a simple thread like this, have embarrassed yourself and been btfo consistently, yet are still trying to save face.
That was the first message I have written on this thread, retard. What the fuck are you talking about?

>No one is using Haiku as their daily driver yet you fucking brainwrecked potato
And nobody will EVER use Haiku as their daily driver, fucking oxygen bandit faggot. How many people are working on Haiku? Do you seriously think this will ever be something more than a meme for nostalgiafags? It WON'T, and you know it, that's why you are seething so hard.

A handful of retarded faggots will NOT be able to revive an operating system that was abandoned two decades ago. It will NOT happen. And nobody cares about it, besides the two faggots that talk past each other in every single Haiku thread. Get over it.

this, what a retard and sage.
fuck off haiku dev

You are the dumbest waste of space samefaggot maggot I have ever seen post here in my entire 15 years of frequenting this discussion forum. I come here to masturbate to the tears of cumdrinkers like you, then feed them back into your bodies rectally. You mungeon melungeon dwarfcocked niggershit subhuman will not get away with this. You have crossed multiple lines and the time is nigh for you to get your just desserts.

See:
And

Are there any technical advantages to using haiku over Linux or BSD? I understand that it inherited it's efficiency from BeOS but you could say the same things about any Unix like OS.

no
so newfag shit
not an argument
sage chakra bomb

You haven't made one argument. You are 15 years old. You are the newfaggot, and you deserve nothing good in life and will die like a bitch. Like sniveling, whining, windows10-using bitch. Like the worthless pile of feces you are.

not an argument
I'm using linux not your shit neet hobbyist os

Attached: index.png (960x600, 305K)

Can you even read faggot? No one is using haiku as a daily driver. I myself have been using lignux for years as my main OS. I bet you use arch or manjaro though, fucking underage teenage neet garbage bullshit. Dumb shit.

>Are you deciding only because the current state of a project?
Pretty much, yes.

>lignux
Imagine being this much of a pretentious faggot. This is just embarrassing.

Okay, mouthbreather

Attached: post.png (282x141, 24K)

>you're not a samefag
>you didn't use gimp resynthesizer to create that image
>thinking the gnu in linux is pretentious on what is literally Jow Forums Jow Forumsnu.

Yeah, fuck off and die faggot.

Really, you sound like a zoomer faggot that has just discovered technology. Stop trying to sound smart. You are retarded.

And also, stop samefagging in your shitty Haiku thread. It is obvious that all the post here shilling this meme OS are written by you. It's pitiful.

>Twenty times worse than australians
Wait, what? What's the deal with australians?

Sorry, but I am just a follower.

he is a newfag who has read about le Australian bantz on reddit and is desperately trying to fit in

>Twenty times worse than australians
whoa now let's not get carried away there

>>you didn't use gimp resynthesizer to create that image
Imagine being so retarded that you think someone would use GIMP to fake a (You) instead of just using the element inspector.

Fucking newfag trying to sound smart.

Just ignore these dumb zoomer newfaggot cocksucking shits. Don't be fooled. The newfaggot cries as he stabs you in the back.

Attached: 1477070431048-g.png (1098x1645, 1.09M)

Just look at how assmad this guy gets. That's how you know he's a clueless jiz vacuum built for nothing other than sucking cocks and scarfing dowm jism. Sad rly.

Is this how an average Haiku general looks like?

And also, a reminder that you're literally a fucking idiot who came in here with some copypasta trying to sound smart:
babbling about genode when you have noooooot one clue what it is.

Sad
So sad
I feel bad for you, you human toilet

Yes. It's usually about 300 posts of anywhere between 2 and 10 people insulting the shit out of each other.

>Just look at how assmad this guy gets

Says the author of:

>No one is using Haiku as their daily driver yet you fucking brainwrecked potato. We hope to one day sooner than later though. Get back to sucking cocks under the desk you little cum janitor. You jizmop anal bead. You insignificant little cuntwart.

Don't worry, underage retard. If you like an obscure, twenty-year old copy of a thirty-year-old failed and dead operating system so much, you can visit it in Heaven. Just neck yourself and you will be able to see your beloved BeOS again. But who am I kidding, you have never touched an original BeOS machine. You are just a retarded zoomer worshipping outdated shit in order to be interesting.

Sure, retard. Have another (You).

Attached: (You).png (938x500, 100K)

Thanks for the info.

Stay mad and keep on samefagging :^)

So does that mean Haiku will never see a HAMP stack since everything is root? That's sad.

Oh, and see:
Also you have no capacity to detect or process irony. That means you're either 14 years old or a dyed in the wool shitskin subliterate. It's OK though. Just you know, maybe they'll get you back home, 'cause No one's gonna get you over here.

So when will Haiku ever have a more advanced web server stack? Why does Windows have better support for Apache, MySQL and PHP than Haiku?

becuase haiku is still ten - fifteen years away from being production ready, at this pace. no one pretends or says otherwise.

Yet an insecure OS like Windows where everyone drops UAC and runs everything as root still has a Windows equivalent of a LAMP stack. Why can't Haiku?

If you run untrusted software on your computer then it's your fault. Even if you dont run software as root, the software can fuck up your whole home folder and also add binaries to your local bin directory so next time you try to run mount for example, it will execute a payload. For a desktop OS, multiple users DOESN'T matter

i'm not OP or a dev, but again, it's literally ten-fifteen years away from being production ready. it has nowhere near the feature-set that established operating systems do.

So what you're saying is that Haiku's developers are unskilled and uneducated in security, to the point that they completely disregard it so that you can't really use it like a production server? That sucks. Even Windows 95 could be used as a production server and that's scrapping the underside of the bottom of the barrel.

>i'm not OP or a dev, but again, it's literally ten-fifteen years away from being production ready.
They said that about ReactOS 20 years ago. And yet, ReactOS is still more production-ready and more secure than Haiku. See and come back when Haiku actually is usable.

haiku is it's own project and they prioritize things differently. reactOS has government funding too.

what's your autistic crusade here? trying to prove that people shouldn't use haiku as their main OS? no one does. trying to prove that haiku development is terribly slow? we all know that. trying to prove that a slowly developed OS that's still in beta does not have the features of production-ready commercial opeating systems? we already knew that too.

doesn't mean people can't be interested in it and try it out.

>trying to prove that people shouldn't use haiku as their main OS?
No; I'm trying to prove that Haiku would have a greater following if it had more useful ports (like porting a Apache, PHP, MySQL and OpenSSH).

Keyword: porting OpenSSH, which would then drive people to want to work on making Haiku more secure than just running everything as root.

>trying to prove that a slowly developed OS that's still in beta does not have the features of production-ready commercial opeating systems?
>Ignores that ReactOS is alpha and has more features
>Including security

Attached: Laughing Duck.gif (400x225, 1.96M)

I too would love haiku to have a basic web server stack and openssh. That would be fucking awesome. I'd love it to have full support for unicode fonts, full usb 3 support, an opengl compositor, and a million other things. I doubt that they're not going to be implemented at some point. Though it really could be years from now. These guys have been at it since like '03, even earlier.

>ignores that reactos has government funding, a huge team, and had already made a relatively complete OS before haiku even started.

>Thinking that ReactOS having government funding, a "huge" team and having a "relatively complete" OS in 2000 justifies Haiku's dev team not thinking of security first
Zoomers these days. Even Terry Davis made TempleOS to be more secure than Haiku.

Haiku fanboy btfo

They have different priorities. No one's forcing you to use haiku. Fyi, ssh support exists, and multi-user is not completely absent from the OS, it's still just experimental. Terry intentionally didn't even implement TCP/IP in templeOS. That's not a security feature. That's the lack of a feature.

>you're not the zoomer

Half of you spammers didn't even realize haiku has been around longer than you've been alive, and that it's supposed to be a replacement for BeOS. One of you came in here assuming it was a "new-age" "muh progress" OS, whatever that means.

>Being mad
Easy there, Haiku shill. You've got to learn that nobody up here's interested in a less secure clone of a deprecated OS, at least not until Haiku has something to show in terms of security features (which has always been the first priority of every OS like Linux, Windows, BSD, MacOS, etc.). Maybe you're upset over the truth, maybe you're upset that Haiku's team needs to get their priorities straight so that they can stop stagnating for another 15 years. I don't know why you're mad, but that's the truth of it and that's why all you get in your repeatedly spamming these Haiku generals are these responses.

>Not realizing ReactOS has been in existence longer than Haiku
>Not realizing that even before it got government funding, it was always in the same state it currently is in
>Alpha, non-functional for daily use
Why can't Haiku just call its software perpetual alpha?

What? I'm not OP. I'm not a dev. I appreciate the project though, and hope it gets better. I don't shit on open source projects as a rule of thumb either. You're also clearly not familiar with the project or the OS it is supposed to replace. BeOS was a multimedia production OS, that's what Haiku is attempting to be as well. They're not trying to pump out a server OS, so again, their priorities are different. Its also geared to a very niche audience. What do you have to gain by shitting on an open source project you're barely familiar with, and lying and exaggerating about it? I wonder.

>What? I'm not OP. I'm not a dev.
When has anyone ever called you OP or a dev? I called you a shill and a fanboy, not OP or a dev. No need to be so angry over the truth of how shitty Haiku and your love of it actually is.

>you're not obsessively rage spamming this thread
>you know anything about the OS
>saying I'm responsible for these haiku generals isn't implying I'm OP
>a niche OS that's still at hobbyist status deserves all this unfounded rage
>you're not just being a dumb faggot

Again, no one familiar with haiku will tell you that it's production ready, that it's anywhere near feature-complete. You keep spamming about these things as if its some big revelation. No one who watches the project or is involved with its development has ever said anything to suggest otherwise. You're obsessively arguing with a strawman you created. It's pretty pathetic.

>Again, no one wants to be familiar with haiku
ftfy. At least until they get their priorities straight and concentrate on better security, to actually build up their user base to push progress forward. Too bad you're too autistically angry over the truth to see that.

See:

this thread sucks

That's what we've been telling OP and the entire time.

>you didn't shit up the thread

The thread was shit to begin with

see:
right from the start zoomer trash started shitting it up hard. so yeah, i guess it was shit to begin with. btw, dude said "thread", meaning in its entirety.

No need to get angry for your opponents being correct.

see:
i know, you're seething that you've been called out for being a repetitive and pointless spammer, but you don't have to give in to your mental illness.

Attached: 1559674558928.png (869x768, 135K)

>Calls people repetitive
>Keeps on repeating see: and his own post
Now that's just being repetitive out of spite for your opponents being right about 2 simple facts (that Haiku's as much a meme OS as TempleOS at this point and that 5G causes cancer).

Now who's seething? :^)

>Thinking bashing Haiku is bashing Linux in favour of Windows
Wow... He really DID go full retard. All that was said is that Haiku is defective because the dev team doesn't have its priorities in the right place, as well as the fact that every mainstream and hobby OS has better security implementations than Haiku.

BeOS was miles ahead of anything else at its time.
Jow Forums used to like Haiku but summer ITT cannot appreciate its present form.
probably because they cannot fathom any OS having merit unless
>it's got muh latest proprietary softwarez
>or
>LOONIX XD
>or
>they're as paranoid or more paranoid than Theo De Raadt
>or
>TempleOS (as a meme or fellow Christian)

>The angry tripfag reveals himself
All I said was that Haiku's devs need to rethink their priorities so that they can have a support base big enough to help them towards better features (like security). You, on the other hand, can't take constructive criticism.

>insecure
use a firewall
nobody writes malware for Haiku anyways.
>angry
why does it need to be popular? BeOS was late to the game and subsequently barred from the market by industry giants. there is no rush.

>use a firewall
Haiku doesn't have firewall software because nobody writes software for Haiku.

>why does it need to be popular?
So that the dev team doesn't stagnate on the project for another 30 years and actually comes up with meaningful progress. Even ReactOS made meaningful progress before they received any government funding or Google endorsement.

Chris... I got a surprise for you.

An unironically better, more secure and more useful OS than Haiku ever will be.

thunix.net/~techemporium/browzos_project/desktop.html

Haiku can merge stuff from the Linux kernel/userland if need be.
use an external firewall lol.
internal firewall is bloat.

>internal firewall is nonexistent in Haiku
ftfy senpai

>Haiku can merge stuff from the Linux kernel/userland if need be.
HAMP stack when?!

Attached: heidi_opossum_0.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg (500x350, 26K)

imagine not having a modem/router with a firewall.
it's fundamentally insecure to execute software you download off public networks anyways.
what part of Beta don't you anti-Haiku children fail to comprehend?

>Haiku can merge stuff from the Linux kernel/userland if need be.
So why haven't they done so in 17 years and why won't they do so in the next 15? Why claim it's being worked on when the project died from the get-go?

And what will determine if the devs "need to" implement something better than running everything as root, when we live in an age where even non-root users can get their entire system compromised? What would it take for them to actually make progress?

>what part of Beta don't you anti-Haiku children fail to comprehend?
The fact that Haiku calls alpha software "beta" (only fanboys like you are betas).

>imagine not having a modem/router with a firewall.
You should try TempleOS, bruv. You don't need a modem, router or firewall because it doesn't connect to the internet, making it secure by default. Plus it still has more software available than BeOS and Haiku combined.

>Make network-enabled OS
>Have 0 software to protect the computer from malware
This makes the tripfag go full retard on Haiku's nay-sayers.

>hurr durr I'm a shit guzzling faggot and people shouldn't like what I don't like because I'm the ultimate authority for obese basement dwelling fiesta potatoes everywhere

Literally everyone in this thread.

templeOS is designed to be run in a VM
Terry stated himself it wasn't slated for bare metal

I don't even use Haiku nerds, but I watched a vid on BeOS once pretty neat and hard to hate, I'm appalled user is wasting so much energy here.

>Designed to be run in a VM
Wrong again, Haikufag

TempleOS was designed for Core2Duo hardware and doesn't implement the complete instruction set. That's why it can only really run well under a VM if you don't have Core2Duo hardware.

>tripfag being apalled over others wasting energy
Why are you even here? And why are you a tripfag?

But it does have multi user support.
Just not graphical

tripfag btfo

Even TempleOS has secure multi-user support. Why can't Haiku devs get their priorities straight? It's like saying "I'm going to make an OS, so I'm going to start with drawing icons first"

I got lost one day, put on a tripcode gifted by another user and stuck around
I was just a namefag and that was going well enough, but it matches my life's ambition of spreading the love of Christ with my main member
maybe that was the case initially but Terry later told us that it was happy in a VM

I never said it was secure.
Only reason haiku is secure now is because its obscure.
Its still in beta 1. Real security comes afterwards.