Guix Dev here

Hi! I'm looking for packages people would like to have on guix. Send suggestions and i'll add them to my list

Attached: freedo.png (260x280, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/stoeckmann/xwallpaper
tools.suckless.org/tabbed/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Linux_Imaging_and_Printing
framagit.org/marlin1113
developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index
sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/files/hplip/
github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio
github.com/gnunn1/tilix/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

tor browser bundle

virtualbox (if its free software) unless there is some other virtual pc package out there

firejail / apparmor if possible

ufw firewall

yikes

Linux Subsystem for Windows

xwallpaper and tabbed.
github.com/stoeckmann/xwallpaper
tools.suckless.org/tabbed/

supertuxkart, of course

Don't know if virtualbox would fit the main repo (it needs the proprietary addons for lots of stuff, and gives links for that and all).
Qemu/kvm and virt-manager are overall better and is already there tho :).

Tabbed looks cool, i'll be packaging it

update the kernel from 5.1.2 to 5.1.10 lul

TrenchBroom level editor for Quake and related please

user, 5.1.10 is already in the repos. Install [email protected]

it upgraded when i typed guix install linux-libre
nwo the question is why didnt it upgrade automatically with the guix pull command??

seamonkey?

guix "pull" just pulls the latest package definitions from git. You need to do guix package -u to actually upgrade them.

Sure! I do feel like we need more browsers

okay i upgraded to 5.1.11 but it still boots to 5.1.2
how do i update the grub loader

olvwm

Random Guix question:

I use Nix to set up dev environments. Often I want to do something like: patch LLVM, then install versions of clang and rustc that are built against the patched LLVM instead of the normal one. The LLVM example is easy, but in more complex cases, the package I'm modifying could be several levels deep in the dependency graph.

Does Guix have a good way to replace X with patched-X, everywhere that X appears in the dependency graph of some package Y? (You can do this in Nix, but it's a tremendous pain in the ass.)

I usually do it with guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm, dunno if there's a better way.
Add [email protected] to the config file's package section too

Don't know if i get exactly what you mean, but you can make a package manifest that imports X and patches it up with any modifications you want. You might wanna come to the irc and ask that there

Is there a guixsd live usb? i want can test whether my hardware is compatible. Apparently you can make one with guix system diskimage, but is there a pre-baked one?

ungoogled chromium

xloadimage
Simple program for displaying images and setting them as wallpapers. Sometimes works better than Feh (e.g. in combination with compton).

hello thanks for your work! I would really like to see hatari be added to the repos, it's 100% foss. also I'm still having wireless network issues with my atheros card (atheros AR9485). I can manually start it with wpa_supplicant but this only works half the time.

plank, midnight commander, picocom, gsconnect.

hplip

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Linux_Imaging_and_Printing

guix dev
if you're reading this, don't add this retard's package
xwallpaper and hsetroot already do the job, and are quite minimal, there's no reason for that piece of shit to be in the repos desu senpai

Already on the repos
hmm, i could probably spin up something like this when i'm home, but you can also just take the iso, go to tty3 and install something like xfce i guess.
Midnight commander is already packaged (most gnu packages are). Dunno about plank
I can just package both and you choose your guns :) X stuff is usually simple
Hmm, don't know if it's material for the main repo, but i might package it as i have a hp printer

As i package stuff, i'll add it to my repos on framagit.org/marlin1113
Then it may be merged on guix main repos afterwards.

portage

>Hmm, don't know if it's material for the main repo, but i might package it as i have a hp printer

It would be nice!
HP has the literal best linux support out of any printers with models going back a decade.

(too many to count)
developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

While Brother provides Linux support it's pre compiled blobs.

HP actually gives the source, and it's GPL
sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/files/hplip/

Also doesn't require firmware since their printers use postscript/ghostscript.
Debian includes it in their free repo for that reason.

Handles XSANE for you too if you have a scanner.

gnuradio github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio

Will Guix work on my Thinkpad X230? I heard there were issues with the network card.

Tilix dropdown terminal.

github.com/gnunn1/tilix/

If it's intel wifi it should work fine with iwlwifi (intelwirelesswifi)

If it's realtek/broadcom it'll need a proprietary firmware kernel module.

2bwm

what's difference between guix and nix?
should I stick with nix?

guix pull && guix system reconfigure

Guix uses GNU Guile (Scheme Lisp) syntax.
This can be beneficial to people who have experience with any fimilar implementations.

Nix uses their own langauge which is more of a learning curve and isn't applicable outside of the Nix project.

Do what works for you if you have no experience in either.

Attached: dont_bully.jpg (474x708, 44K)

xfe please. it's the best file manager

Afaik it's more about:
> the language used (scheme vs nix DSL), being a gnu project (which means it gets funding from the FSF
> it's FSDG compliant
> It's licensed under the strong copyleft of gplv3 vs Nix's MIT/X11)
> user experience : guix is better performing (stuff like searching packages is faster on guix) and has nicer commands overall extensibility (scheme is much more flexible than a DSL)
>use of shepherd instead of systemd

Guix mostly aims at making a nix-inspired system which is FSDG compliant and is better to develop to and to use as an end user.

Was also thinking about this :)
I'll add it to the list

not dev but there should be no reason for packages such as 2bwm, dwm and st, dmenu, tabbed and other suckless tools to be in the main repo since they require compiling every time a change is made

dunno about the main repo. i'll test it on my repo and see how we can work around with the compiling.

>virtualbox
>2019

>since they require compiling every time a change is made
So? You can just define your set of patches and tell it to compile against that every time it builds your package.

Wtf is a guix

I imagine it being possible with local packages, by writing a manifest for it then patching the packages using guile on the scheme file itself, then using guix install -f dwm.scm (or whatever it is) to get dwm with all patches

It's a horned monster from Japanese folklore. See pic related.

Attached: guix_suika.png (1212x1374, 1005K)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think it's important to listen to users. We are always in need for more packagers and users to test stuff and report bugs! If you wanna help, please come to the #guix channel on Freenode :)

wew, that's what i get for phoneposting on limited internet. Lemme fix this

Jesus Christ. You source feature and package requests straight from Jow Forums? Toss this distro in the trash!

Jow Forums has helped me out quite a bit. Don't see An issue with helping them back.

New thread, had posted inside of this one, my internet is complete shit here.

damn i'm literally shaking

From what? Her cuteness?

no, it's a horned monster. it's scary

It's a totally harmless and cute monster.

Attached: a2da93cbb28f149e607ff233badaf1d5.jpg (2125x1505, 1.08M)

deadbeef player

lutris and tor browser would be kino

I'm working on lutris already :) just gotta figure out some of it's gnome/javascript dependencies