What is Jow Forums's opinion on the KANO computer?

what is Jow Forums's opinion on the KANO computer?
Why do companies keep coming out with these "teaching/ Learning computers" that do jack shit in the real world?

Attached: 856f2260-84ee-4303-a9c3-510c6d675d5d.jpg (1296x960, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

engadget.com/2019/06/19/kano-pc-windows-10-coding-computer/
kano.me/us
twitter.com/AnonBabble

here is some sauce if anyone wants to read about it:
engadget.com/2019/06/19/kano-pc-windows-10-coding-computer/
kano.me/us

Attached: URL.png (367x26, 3K)

Because modern CPUs are chock full of hacks/workarounds/experiments. It's a step in the right direction to figure out the meaning and purpose of a computer system, then you can interpolate what a modern machine does and is supposed to do in the future.

>Why do companies keep coming out with these "teaching/ Learning computers" that do jack shit in the real world?
because every celebrity and politician is trying to flood the world with "coders" just like they did the "college graduates earn more money, so if we give everyone a college degree everyone will make more money!" scheme. get ready for your field to be oversaturated by useless diverse factory workers.

>every celebrity and politician is trying to flood the world with "coders"
we have pajeets for that

Why can't they simply use generic old laptops with preinstalled linux with teaching software?

It's so sad that these companies keep trying to educate people and change the world but only end up making themselves money.

The problem with these is that they're only useful for learning, unlike the Raspberry Pi and all those other SBCs that people put to use in all sorts of ways.

>Why do companies keep coming out with these "teaching/ Learning computers" that do jack shit in the real world?

To make money. There’s loads of people out there who are kind of dumb and willing to buy anything on the promise that it will make their kids less dumb than them.

>"It's a proper computer"
>"Unshackles us from the past and ushers in a new world of computing"
>"Easy way for kids to learn and build their own computers"
>"Build and code technology. Simple books show you how. Connect the bits, boards, and buttons."

>CPU and memory are soldered to the board
>"build" means "attach battery to it"
Is this a parody? If not, what kind of clown car world have we found ourselves in?

Attached: 1541461125834.jpg (1800x1200, 511K)

This.
Also probably some solid investment cash before this "tech teaching" bubble pops

>that do jack shit in the real world?

something that you'd be familiar with amirite senpai?

I used them in a few classes and after school programs when I was teaching. It's meant for 9 year-olds, and they had a ton of fun with the kits. I of-course had to make sure they weren't trying to beat each other with them and other destructive things, but many of them were really happy to come into class and toy around with their own kits. For older students I would just give them lignux distros on flash drives and walk them through writing neat little shell scripts (and for students that weren't disruptive I'd set them up with vpn access so they could play minecraft after hours in the computer lab). Kids love hands-on stuff and making objects uniquely their own in relatively meaningless ways (hell adults do too, just look at our desktop threads every day).

looks good on your resume if you're working at one of those companies

PCs in the classroom aren't effective, it's all government contract jewery

For teaching and learning you fucking dunce

>teaching and learning
teaching and learning how to attach a battery?

Teaching that computers are more than just preassembled itouches and games. Instilling in them an understanding that it all starts with the command line. Familiarizing them with the concept of a command line at an early age. Introducing them to lignux. Teaching them how to call each other poopoo heads with a british accent using espeak. Yes, they're just overpriced raspberry pi, but it was way easier to convince the school director to order 30 kano kits than 30 raspberry pis.

are you saying that spending $300 on scratch and a over hyped raspberry pi is a smart idea?

Attached: 1474096520016.jpg (323x454, 25K)

Interesting, I didn't know MECC or Apple were govt agencies.

government CONTRACTS

>thinks government contacts are for government institutions only.
Also private schools exist, have way more money to blow on shit like this, but you still haven't answered why would they when alternatives exists and are arguably better in other ways.

>Apple were govt agencies
Chinese government*