THE CURRENT STATE OF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT

"Today was a mess. We were supposed to deliver the product today, but the customer started making all these requests that weren't in the spec, and claimed their new requests should go without saying..."

Attached: programming.png (1280x720, 670K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cGuTmOUdFbo
webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/screen75.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wagecuck codemonkeys deserve to suffer. No Senko-san for you.

refer to the contract faggot

The contract is whatever the customer wants for $xxxxxx.

then quit your bitching

Just make an invoice for the new requirements. If it's not in the spec, it's not agreed upon.

No problem

Attached: okaeri (2).png (1280x720, 734K)

"I talked to my boss, but he just kept saying 'A pro meets the customers needs, just get it done'"

Attached: programming-2.png (1280x720, 486K)

Attached: programming-3.png (1280x720, 672K)

Basically it goes like this
Customer requests -> Marketing from company -> Department head -> Manager/Lead ->Coders
>Problems from this
Customer will change requests because of new discoveries or later decided on changes up to the last minute. It then get dumped down to coders paid by salary to finish by a set schedule by marketing.

Programming as a profession is a scam, a traumatic experience.
You are better off doing literally anything else.

Attached: programming-4.png (1280x720, 496K)

B..but it's agile...

>working overtime for free
>taking last minute requests without giving the boss an unrealistically long timetable of what is or isn't possible
god damn no wonder you autists get shat on

That was the original reason agile was invented. To prevent that situation. However, it requires managers to get the fuck out of the way, and most companies still refuse to do so.
youtube.com/watch?v=cGuTmOUdFbo

I'm assuming all companies in Japan are basically sweatshops but does this happen in the civilized world? If my boss asks me to do overtime I'm obviously paid and most of the time I say no. Explaining to the customer that we might be late and setting reasonable expectations is his job, not mine.

>what is a statement of scope

The set schedule is usually marketing working up the price for the changes by same deadline as agreed upon if delivered. Company gets the profits, marketing looks good, coders hate humanity even more.

Attached: 1559512960996.gif (480x270, 924K)

>EP 20 years later
Let me guess the tl,dr: you are doing it wrong

A mere formalism in the first stages of the project that quickly gets outdated and nobody ever updates again.

sometimes japanese or indian immigrants will actually make it to middle management, so yes, it happens in the civilized world, just not because of civilized people

It happens most of the time. Marketing makes a deal of $xxxxxx delivered at date Y and that is inamovible. Then it is up to the underdogs to codemonkey until the customer is satisfied and pays. Agile made things even worse.

He's pretty honest in that most of the agile crap is just some bullshit he came up with on the spot.
His argument that customers don't really know what they want, and so we should iterate, is still pretty valid.

>I'm assuming all companies in Japan are basically sweatshops but does this happen in the civilized world?
Marketing making promises that are a nasty surprise to the programmers ? Yes.

THE HELPFUL FOX SENKEK-SAN

tfw the botnet wants me to starve

so much this

You forgot your

Attached: senko mabushi.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

>tfw you develop software in a waterfall model and don't care for all common aimless flailing in the private sector

>having proper requirements in currentYear :: Date
I'm jealous

This

>he doesn't go in at 8 and leave at 4:30 no matter what
Not gonna make it

Not happening in Europe. There are pretty strict legal limits how much of overtime can your employer force you to do monthly, every one of them is paid of course. Can't force you to do overtime every month.

This is my biggest frustration in IT consulting. I repeatedly fight with our retarded and technologically illiterate sales people and business leaders about how our SOWs and contracts are written and how we scope projects. If I had a dollar for every time I heard:

>>I've known this customer for years, they'd never scope creep us
>>The customer wants to start this project last week, and we need to start now.
>>Why are we charging so many hours for this?
>>Can't the Indian staff just work 24/7 and kill themselves for this client, because I'm too pussy to say "no" to the customer?

I fight for my offshore team, every time. The disgusting treatment these people get from US tech firms is horrendous.

That's why Europe's tech sector is 90% American.

It sucks but you cant help it. Best you can do is move plans to move on to a cushier place asap. Which is where h1bs come in

how old were you when you found out that the proposed waterfall methodology and agile were the same thing?
i was 27.

Actually, this isn't true. In the UK overtime is unpaid, and in the US, the US DoL requires all overtime to be paid.

>Projects fail because of incompetent managers
>Waterfall is shit
>Make it waterfall but split it up into smaller waterfalls
>Call them iterations
>Now throw away all the specs and replace them with shitty "user stories"
>Perfect now we have an even shittier version of waterfall

That's why I said Europe and not shithole.

>unpaid overtime
W E W lad, that's some bullshit.

so in the end is a matter of race not culture. Jow Forums was right.

Happening in Europe (south). In a country with high unemployment the employer can abuse you everything they want. In the end it is a matter of keeping a job and sucking it up, or fighting for your rights and get fired.
Usually in big consulting firms like Deloitte they expect you to work for 2 more each day for free.

Waterfall is superior to Agile, because requirements can be translated into wireframes and mockups which are cheaper to make and change that actual code. If the proposal gets rejected, the analyst redoes a pdf and some diagrams/mockups, and iterates until the customer agrees.
Agile trying to cope with customer indecission by building the actual shit is retarded, and will never work in contracts with fixed budget and deadlines, which are 99% of projects out there.

Unless you are exempt from overtime, which is essentially everyone in an office here
webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/screen75.asp
Overtime in the US is basically just for tradesmen

>customer

Wow... I'm actually glad im in murica for financial reasons.

> tried to use agile in the place I work
> PO think it sounds good
> ... a few months later
> PO complains he's too busy and can't keep up with our requests for feedback
> we have to make the decisions ourselves
> end of sprint comes up
> PO complains we made the wrong decisions

This is why I'm going into sales/marketing strategy. Recruiters love my consulting background.

I get paid well, get tech startup benefits, and i don't deal with any of the consequences.

kek
your boss is a fkn retard if he's going to do it for free

The anime legit makes me want to kill myself.

Attached: soon.jpg (800x800, 44K)

>I fight for my offshore team, every time. The disgusting treatment these people get from US tech firms is horrendous.
Blame the Boomers. They are the retards of everything.

Be sure to Livestream it.