Linux on Nintendo Wii

The Nintendo Wii is the cheapest PowerPC device one can buy today. I have seen them sold by less than pic related.

It only has 88MB or memory, but it even has USB ports. As a low-power PowerPC computer, it would be pretty comfy.

Is anyone running Linux or BSD on this thing?

Attached: wii.png (854x552, 184K)

I modded mine and play videogames on it

The lack of SATA is a pretty big bottleneck.

This. OP I don't know how comfy that would be to use as a pc. however it is an amazing modded gaming machine with USBloaderGX and whatever other emulator.

It displays a max of 480p its not going to be a comfy pc

there are Wii to HDMI converters that can display up to 1080p, though

Its just a converter the source is still 480p. Thats like saying you can convert 1080p to 4k with a converter.

They're just an ADC plugged into an upscaler

I didn't know that. I thought the reason the maximum resolution was 480p was because of the cable.

Some people mod the hardware and display natively from hdmi. I passed on the chinese converters and just use the official rgb compenent cable from nintendo for 480p

That just means no ADC. They still need a scaler because the console can't output higher res.

I wonder if I can install gentoo on a switch.

I installed FreeBSD on mine years ago before I really knew what to do with it.

Really? I always assumed it was capable of 1080i over component; that's not really surprising but still disappointing.

The original Xbox can do 1080i over component, not the Wii. The Wii's framebuffer is 480p max, but it can also do true 240p for emulation if that's your thing.

So can the PS2

Mind elaborating? Roughly, how did you mod it? Is it doable for a brainlet?

I followed a 10 minute youtube video. You need an sd card, a usb drive, and wifi and you can mod pretty much any model. You go to some website and type the mac address in of the wii and it sends you a message that executes code

can you even run a browser with 88mb of ram? that's a waste of electronics as far as i'm concerned

Tienes que regresar, manolo

A lightweight kernel + netsurf would not need more than 50MB

Of course, forget about javashit

If all you need is CLI then Wiis are pretty comfy. plus you can plug one into a CRT for extra nostalge

Just turn on your Wii

Attached: Wii-Internet-Channel.jpg (620x366, 20K)

the wii browser hasn't been updated in years though. i'm not sure it can even browse google at this point

Tbf, that was from a time in the Internet before shttons of JavaScript became the norm for each webpage. I don't think it can handle even a basic search engine in today's Internet

>It only has 88MB or memory
my router has more than that lol.
you could use it as a headless server i guess.
orange pi zero is cheaper and more powerful, though.

A Wii U is not that much more expensive and you get way better specs plus HDMI.

>not that much more expensive
doubt

Call me a zoomer all you want
But this is actually nostalgic for me

Actually, it looks like it is like $90 more expensive. Maybe in some months.

I used mine as a file/mumble server a few years ago. It was indeed comfy. Get a USB ethernet adapter, wifi is either poor or a pain to get working if I recall correctly.

I get nostalgic about wii menus too, I'm 37.

Cant believe I share site with a faggot like you, Im not sure if I should leave or kick you out

Everyone has BSD on their wii, since the default OS is a stripped BSD

Same. That music is still on my head

>USB ethernet adapter
Would any adapter work?

If it works on Linux, sure. I had a third party one marketed for the wii and it was fine, not fast but it won't be on USB 2.0.

Some places have wiis used for 20 usd now.

But can Linux be ran on the bare metal? Or is it running virtualized / on a chroot?

That's God's resolution you fucking chump.

>480
that's gods number

Retarded. You can install Debian or OpenBSD on a PowerPC Mac, and it'll blow that thing out of the water. I've spent no more than $40 on my PowerMac G5's, and no more than $20 on my iBooks, and Powerbooks. Buy machines that are being sold for parts in a lot, and frankenstein together a functional one. Most of the time, laptops being sold for parts on eBay are actually fully functional, but the sellers can't be assed to test them. I would know, because I do it.

based & redpilled

They're worth $0

Why bother when you can get q
2ghz octocore arm boxes with 4gb of ddr4 for like $60

Wii channels screen is my favorite video console menu.

Attached: 1546572656805.jpg (900x507, 133K)

wrong

wrong.gif

My Wii is literally just to power a sensor bar I use for emulation and soon that will be replaced with a USB one since i have no ability to modify the one I have

It was kind of a big deal when the Wii came out, everyone cried about it having widescreen but no HD

IDK, it's just cool

>do SJW shit
>stop receiving donations
>project nearly dead
>surprised_pikachu_face.jpg

Attached: freebsdhero.jpg (770x602, 28K)

>Because of the cable

Attached: laught.jpg (397x391, 67K)

Kick him out.

You can install Linux on pretty much anything, there's even a fork for the Nintendo DS.

It's not that strange of an idea. Happened in the past with the N64.

no it didn't