I'm 35 years old. Am I too old to join Google, Facebook, Microsoft or Apple as a software engineer?

I'm 35 years old. Am I too old to join Google, Facebook, Microsoft or Apple as a software engineer?

Attached: 159863278.jpg (699x439, 45K)

You're never too old if you become talented enough to threaten their business.
They'll hire you just to prevent you from working at the competitor.

BTW, how is Moot doing over at Google?

yes you are too old you dusty old man, go to your rest bed now

absolutely you're too old. there's severe ageism in hiring, you will only be hired on at a very senior level and you're probably not good enough for that given that you just asked this.

I hear that google and some of other big guys now hires people for the sole reason of preventing other companies getting them, if they're good enough.

What if I look young, companies aren’t allowed to ask your birthdate for discrimination purposes right? Except my college transcript does that for them

it doesn't matter what companies are and aren't allowed to do. they can not hire you because of your age but then just say you weren't a good fit and it's all the same.

I should say you may as well apply though. you should still try. just don't expect it to be easy, and I mean be reasonable man.

Nah there's a good amount of boomers here, it's not like some startup where you have to work 100 hours a week. Just grind leetcode and don't expect any good advice from Jow Forums

I feel this deeply. I'm a pretty good coder in terms of skills and knowledge, but have been unemployed for the last decade due to mental health, plus looking after my dad who has alzheimers.

Always assumed I'd have a kickass career once I got my shit together but now I'm 38, so I fear my time may be spent by the time I can realistically do it.

>Dusty Old Bones! Full of Green Dust!

Attached: dustyoldbones.jpg (233x217, 7K)

if you are 35 years old you should have more sense not to join those companies

what are better companies to work for that pay as well or better?

strategy/management consulting but that's too chad of a career for Jow Forums

or to ask a bunch of teen-aged mongoloids career related questions.

being a 35 year old in OP pics environment is kinda like a 35 year old hanging out in a kiddie playground.

Far, far too old to be posting this crap on Jow Forums.

Fuck. I'm 24 and I work for a C tier company. I literally already feel scared about getting too old to join an A tier company. Fuck.

I've got a friend that's referring me to an A tier private company. I've been grinding my ass off learning algorithmic questions and system design principles. If that doesn't work out, I'm probably getting an offer for a 100% remote company this next month (which I've passed 4 interview steps for and need to pass one more step). The first company pays ridiculous money. I'm saying 250 grand total comp, and I live in Canada.

My goal is to design distributed systems for an A tier company. It's become apparent to me that if I don't reach my goal by 30 I never will.

Fuck. This field is getting way too competitive.

Attached: 1555885066619.png (546x893, 896K)

are you asian? this post makes me think you're asian

Actually I'm Arab. My parents are university profs here. God bless Canadistan

Attached: canada.jpg (800x506, 106K)

>Actually I'm Arab.
The border between the Mid-East and Asia is an arbitrary line drawn by an long-gone empire.
Asia starts at the Levant.
The Near-, Middle-, and Far-East are all parts of the one whole.
Asia probably holds more "white" people than does Europe.

lads why would a 35 year old be on 4chins??

this is a bait thread

Yes. The cutoff for the meme companies is 30.

Pretty much any other company. All modern companies rely on developers in some way.

>any other company pays as well as google and is a better place to work

Pay depends on living expenses in the area. $100k in a small town in Kansas is the same as $1 million in the bay area.

no

No it's not.

>have never lived in the midwest
A small house in the bay area can easily run you $1 million. A small house in a small town in the midwest is often under $100k.

So someone making $1 million in the bay area can buy a small house after a working a little more than a month.

>$1 million per year
>can buy $1 million house in a month
wat

Can buy a 100k house in a month.

Wasnt there a Vince Vaughn movie about that?

Attached: 1559588947364.gif (244x255, 605K)

Try finding a $100k house in the bay area (where you work making that $1 million/year)

Why are you comparing a house in the Bay Area with a house in Kansas? They are not the same commodity.

Comparing the cost of living to salary....

You are comparing the prices of unrelated assets. Neither factor into cost of living.

bait thread

>lads why would a 35 year old be on 4chins??
shut the fuck up, zoomer.

this

boomer cope

Attached: 1560713014382.png (745x726, 441K)

Are you gender fluid and not white or Asian?

excuse me 35 year olds aren't allowed to be on the internet didn't you know it's only for 18 - 25 year olds :^)

don't forget, you're here forever
friendly reminder that Jow Forums is 16 years old