Installing something in GNU userland: binaries go to /usr/local/bin, sometimes they go to /usr/bin or /bin...

Installing something in GNU userland: binaries go to /usr/local/bin, sometimes they go to /usr/bin or /bin, libraries go to /usr/lib64 or /usr/lib32 or /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu. Some smartasses locate their whole packages at just /opt. Documents related to package store for no reason not in "Documents" folder but in users home as dotfolder hidden from system and logs of package go to /var/log.

Installing something on Windows: most probably whole application would install at "Program files" folder, sometimes part of app goes to hidden AppData folder and documents go to "Documents" folder and that's it.

Lincucks will defend this.

Attached: images (13).jpg (225x225, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

based

>Lincucks will defend this.
I don't have to. I can condemn it just as fiercely as you do and still recognize the fact that Linux is superior to Windows in every way that actually matters

>Linux is superior to Windows in every way that actually matters
>that actually matters
imagine being this delusional

Shall I bring up the list again? Too late, I'm doing it.
>>no botnet
>>no bloat
>>not slow
>>secure without having to constantly stop everything to ask for your password
>>no ads in the app menu
>>no ads in your notifications
>>no ads in the settings dialog
>>no ads in the lock screen
>>no ads in the search function
>>the search function is not a fictional character
>>you can theme the UI however you want without feeling like you're breaking something
>>no license agreement
>>doesn't cost anything
>>you can legally copy, modify, and redistribute it
>>whenever any program encounters a problem, it will report to you what that problem is, in specific enough detail for you to easily solve the problem on your own without having to consult a corporate pajeetbot that spews canned responses at you
>>update whenever you want and continue using your system while it's updating
>>install programs by typing four words or less
>>comes with a standard build toolchain that, unlike the ms build toolchain, will run smoothly without consuming 99.99% of your cpu and memory
>>usually don't have to manually install drivers for anything because all the drivers are generic one-size-fits-all solutions for device classes instead of specific devices and they come with the kernel

kek @ everything
you said things that actually matter, most of those don't impact ANYTHING

weird, user. My OS installs everything under /gnu/store

Attached: 1559149927682-g.png (535x523, 76K)

Everything I mentioned directly impacts user experience and user concerns, which in turn is the only thing that matters intrinsically.

>>no botnet
Jow Forums catchphrase, discarded
>>no bloat
Jow Forums meme catchphrase, discarded
>>not slow
slow enough not to be able to run proprietary software
>>secure without having to constantly stop everything to ask for your password
installing anything required your user password on linucks
>>no ads in the app menu
>>no ads in your notifications
>>no ads in the settings dialog
>>no ads in the lock screen
>>no ads in the search function
if ads make you so frustrated, run a script that removes them
>>the search function is not a fictional character
nobody uses Cortana, just you think people do
>>you can theme the UI however you want without feeling like you're breaking something
you can do the same thing in Windows, doesn't matter what you feel
>>no license agreement
microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

>>doesn't cost anything
not a valid argument
>>whenever any program encounters a problem, it will report to you what that problem is, in specific enough detail for you to easily solve the problem on your own without having to consult a corporate pajeetbot that spews canned responses at you
weather you're on Windows or GNU/Linucks, you will most likely have to solve a problem manually, and Linux debugging isn't any better than Windows
you can postpone updates, and updates only start once you shut off your computer, unlike Linux, which slows your computer down while downloading updates while still needing to restart to apply changes
>programs
a package manager installs CLI tools, not professional programs with a GUI. Also you can install any package manager you want on Windows, if you REALLY want to not use your mouse
>>comes with a standard build toolchain that, unlike the ms build toolchain, will run smoothly without consuming 99.99% of your cpu and memory
invalid argument, there are Windows builds that are more performant than Linux
>>usually don't have to manually install drivers for anything because all the drivers are generic one-size-fits-all solutions for device classes instead of specific devices and they come with the kernel
Windows has the same thing, the only time you would need to install drivers from the internet is when you get hardware that doesn't have drivers in the Windows drivers list

>if ads make you so frustrated, run a script that removes them
A paid OS shouldn't have ads.

Windows is an advertising platform, not an OS

>Jow Forums catchphrase, discarded
Botnet is a real phenomenon.
>Jow Forums meme catchphrase, discarded
Bloat is a real phenomenon.
>slow enough not to be able to run proprietary software
Linux can run plenty of proprietary software, and as for all the proprietary software it can't run, that's because the proprietary software won't let Linux run it.
>installing anything required your user password on linucks
But normal use doesn't. As contrasted with Windows, in which every other action requires your user password and you can be interrupted seemingly at random and asked for your user password for a task you didn't initiate.
>if ads make you so frustrated, run a script that removes them
Or, OR, you could just not have them in the first place.
Which should be the norm.
>nobody uses Cortana, just you think people do
Cortana is enabled by default. It doesn't matter if no one uses it, the fact of the matter is that Windows endorses it, which is bad. Same thing with the ads.
>you can do the same thing in Windows, doesn't matter what you feel
See previous two points.
>microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
This proves what exactly? My point was that Linux doesn't have a license agreement and Windows does. You attempt to counter my point by linking to the Windows 10 license agreement. You're only reinforcing my point here.

Furthermore, you forgot about these:
>>doesn't cost anything
>>whenever any program encounters a problem, it will ...
>>comes with a standard build toolchain that, unlike the ms build toolchain, ...
>>usually don't have to manually install drivers for anything because all the drivers are ...

Windows 10 LTSC doesn't have ad or "bloat" problem. Also it reseaves major updates once in 3 years so it's like Debian Stable.

>But normal use doesn't. As contrasted with Windows, in which every other action requires your user password and you can be interrupted seemingly at random and asked for your user password for a task you didn't initiate.
you've clearly never used Windows
>Cortana is enabled by default.
it isn't, since a long long time ago
>See previous two points.
you can customize those as well, what's your point?

others have been answered, or you didn't provide a sufficient argument, so they have been discarded

>not a valid argument
Yes it is. Not having to pay for something is an objectively good thing. So is being able to legally copy, modify, and redistribute it.
>Linux debugging isn't any better than Windows
Wrong, I already said exactly what Linux debugging has over Windows. Namely, when a Linux program breaks, it actually tells you what went wrong.
>you can postpone updates, and updates only start once you shut off your computer, unlike Linux, which slows your computer down while downloading updates while still needing to restart to apply changes
On Linux you don't have to postpone updates, they start whenever you want them to start. They also don't significantly slow down your computer, and while you do of course need to restart to apply changes, it will never restart for this purpose on its own.
>a package manager installs CLI tools, not professional programs with a GUI.
That's incorrect.
>invalid argument, there are Windows builds that are more performant than Linux
I'm not talking about builds, I'm talking about build toolchains. The Windows build toolchain is fundamentally less performant than the Linux build toolchain.

>you've clearly never used Windows
Actually I've always used it.
>it isn't, since a long long time ago
Yes it is.
>you can customize those as well, what's your point?
My point is that you shouldn't have to. You should never have to change default settings to stave off objectively undesirable behavior. If you do, it's a design flaw and/or a blatant conflict of interest.

I think a lot of the reason behind it is to allow resources to be conserved in an environment with network shares.

If you had a large office with lots of different unix systems, you might want to put the architecture agnostic stuff (like pure data) on one network share that all the different unix platforms could mount. Then you'd have another share for the binaries of one particular CPU architecture on one unix platforms, etc.

It makes sense then to separate the programs a machine needs to boot up from the general programs from the platform bundled programs from the platform agnostic data etc.

Nice fucking bait, user.

>comparing OS that will delete all your files with next update and Debian Stable

Attached: images (14).jpg (276x183, 10K)

>>>>>>>j--just use the pirated version not intended for end users bro

Attached: 739.gif (300x196, 1.5M)

>what are you using user i have all the files in /usr/bin the only files i have in /usr/local/bin are st and dwm but is easy to change that

>literally unix design
>blame it on linux
winjeets are retarded

sorry?
libraries either go to /lib or /lib64 (you can probably guess why)
binaries go to /usr/bin
manpages go into /usr/share/man
compared to windows:
libraries go fuck knows where, it's completely random
binaries go to Program Files or Program Files (x86)
manpages don't exist cause fuck you google it
program data goes into:
a) C:\Program Data
b) %appdata%
c) program folder
d) Documents
e) user folder
which isn't any better than linux

>slow enough not to be able to run proprietary software
You're not even trying at this point

>manpages don't exist cause fuck you google it

How about README.txt file user, apologize

proprietary one rarely have that file
windows has no standards, unlike unix that has foo-1.2.3.tar.gz for distributing the program and README, LICENSE inside it

man hier

pisses meofff, really could be more uniformity in gnu. still linux is superior to fucking registry, trying to find the homeworld registry entries is fucking cancer and it obviously isn't just them. i wish there were more uniform settingdepositories en genreal

>thought this was gonna be a based BSD thread
>ended up being a wintoddler thread

There's nothing to defend. Those applications are incorrectly configured. Your package manager will install binaries to /usr/bin and libraries to /usr/x86_64-linux-gnu. Applications should install configuration and logs in the ~/.config folder. All other paths are deprecated. If you have a problem you should submit some patches to fix those paths.

Meanwhile on Windows, I've seen plenty of broken programs that dump random files in the C:\ folder or on the desktop for no reason. Also you left out the biggest clusterfuck with Windows which far eclipses all your complaints, which is the registry. The problem is actually much worse there.

logs should go in .config? based on xdg base spec i'd say the best fit would be $XDG_CACHE_HOME

furthermore, LSB/FHS and XDG are separate directory specs and not every distro follows either one or both of them
lastly, FHS still dictates a use for /usr/local (refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html) so i'm not sure what makes you say it's deprecated
still better than winblows though

Postpone updates? Cli tools?
You either don't know what you are talking about or are a microsoft shill

Infinitely better than thousands of config files stored randomly throughout your machine. If you actually need to access them either be a better programmer and actually do it correctly, or stop installing shit software on your machine that fucks it up. This registry shit is why Windows works so well on millions of different computers without the end user having to know terminal commands or edit random config files and more than likely break shit instead of fixing it.

Of course, you hate the fact supporting legacy software is important and are annoyed by things that wouldn't inconvenience you if you weren't OCD. Also you don't like the registry because it's too hard for you to understand databases systems, and config files are simpler. If you took the time to understand the registry, databases, and how it works; you would realize it's a thousand times more advanced than config files.