How good do i have to be at programming to make something like rollercoaster tycoon like they did back in the day?

how good do i have to be at programming to make something like rollercoaster tycoon like they did back in the day?

Attached: rollercoastertycoon.jpg (2048x1369, 624K)

Other urls found in this thread:

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not that good. just tinker with isometric sandbox code and shit. no clue where to start. maybe literally look at the tycoon codebase with some kind of inspector program, find out what programs Miraxis (or wahtever it was called) used to write it/deploy it, get that program (or a modern day variant that can run the code), and fuck around

RCT is written in assembly.

people were smarter back in the day
that's why they voted for Hitler instead of Obama

How the fuck do you write a game like that in assembly? How can you interface with graphics drivers?

1% was written in C

Factorio is written in JavaScript and it's fucking vimmense in scale.
This game just blows my mind with what it can do

By comparassing Rimworld shits the bed when you have like 15 guys one base and make a camp

Attached: nshjrc6f54l01.jpg (1920x1018, 825K)

well let's get something straight; does OP want to work in Assembly, or does he want to create isometric low-level-graphics games? i'd think there are more accessible ways of doing that these days, and still capable of producing fun games with those kinds of graphics

once in a while there's a good thread on /v/ or Jow Forums about making pixel gif art; those threads usually have some people who know one or two real points about working with low bit graphics. maybe start there, or see if anyone has exp doing that kinda stuff. ill keep lurking obv to see too; im curious

>The game was developed in a small village near Dunblane over the course of two years. Sawyer wrote 99% of the code for RollerCoaster Tycoon in x86 assembly language, with the remaining one percent written in C. The graphics were designed by artist Simon Foster using several 3D modeling, rendering, and paint programs. For his efforts, Sawyer made around $30 million in revenue.
it's true

Attached: 1553107170527.jpg (1920x1080, 223K)

Chris Sawyer wrote the DirectX stuff in C presumably to make it simpler. Chris wrote most of his games in Assembly. Roller Coaster Tycoon's engine was based on the Transport Tycoon engine which he had already made previously. Originally RCT was going to be a sequel to TT but Chris became fascinated with roller coasters and got completely distracted and made a roller coaster designer thing instead. Then he made it a theme park simulator to make it more of an actual game. The transport rides in RCT are like a vestigial part of the original TT game he intended to make. His later game Locomotion was basically what he originally intended to make with RCT.

average is more than enough, ppl back then have limited resources. you'll need to spend alot of time to code a game like RCT.

Look at the OpenTTD codebase, it's open source and written in C++.

>Factorio is written in JavaScript
The absolute state of Jow Forums

stories like this make me feel like if im ever going to make a good game independently, ive got to be good enough in a codebase to actually be able to explore and tinker, and not just hit tasks and goals

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-9
It's written in C++ you dumb faggot

Attached: dumbfaggot.png (1152x956, 635K)

Factorio runs on chrome

Good to know user :^}

nobody wrote any games in assembly you fucking retard, C and pascal were in wide use back then

KEK
E
K

Attached: brainlet_sockets2.jpg (402x600, 85K)

Attached: mmmm-grayons-36489027.png (500x533, 90K)

Virtually every console/arcade game before the PS1 was pure assembly. Lots of PC games as well.
Your point being?

good bait

You can call dll's functions from assembly as if they were your own functions. You just need to load their modules and jump to the appropriate address. You have to pay attention to callback conventions, but it's not the black art of magic sorcery

It's still possible to write things like this in asm. For instance look at the no$ gameboy, GBA and DS emulators. Pure asm and well optimized. As such it was able to run gameboy stuff on my old 486 and GBA on my Pentium 2, which no other emulator was able to do.

You'll need basic knowledge of linear algebra for isometric view, alpha blending, and Z ordering. The rest is just tons of assembly.

Analytic geometry actually.
Linear algebra concerns the study, classification and resolution of linear systems, usually through their matrix from.

dumb question
how to make a game in assembly?
any ide or something?
I dont know how to start

Nigger what

find out what type of assembly your cpu is using, find an assembler for it. The assembler converts the instructions to binary
e.g mov r1, 0xDEADBEEF
may compile to
0x04389211 0x00001000 0xDEADBEEF . then the OS knows what to do with it somehow

your program won't work on other machines

Mediocre, just need extremely high levels of autism

RTC being written in assembly isnt terrible unique and it is still useful to use an inspector program to take apart the executable and see the code for the game.

>ywn get to experience the time when any amateurs game could become successful
Oh well I guess living in the age of crypto scamming was probably more lucrative.

Attached: CCE2B8C6-461A-4F36-AC52-9F893CAF264A.jpg (800x821, 96K)

Any amateur game could still be successful. Fucking Notch is a billionaire and his code was kinda shit.
Just have to make a great idea and hope it goes viral

Indie games can be successful, isn't there shit like Steam Greenlight that makes distribution simple?

Hell anyone can host a website without steam.

Steam Greenlight is flooded with shovelware these days

RCT was written in assembly you fucking retard.

You're experiencing that time right now. with things like steam and unity. any dummy can make a game and get it published. even tiny indie games that most people have never heard of are very lucrative for the developers.
go to a website for steam sales data and look up obscure steam games. these people are making great money.

Not as hard. A program written for real mode or protected mode x86 architectures, in assembly, is a LOT more complicated then making a long mode program written in assembly. Especially since with the latter you're essentially calling a bunch of c/c++ libraries or code for most of your code, anyway.

its not that hard just a lot of work. chris sawyer the guy who made it was used to programming everything in assembler since he started making games in the 80s so he was very comfortable in asm. also, this is like his 5th isometric game and he spent probably over 10 years getting used to these type of games so he knew already how to do most of everything just had to add a few extra features to make rollercoasters and guests walking around work. isometric is actually really easy you can think of the map as a 2d grid with a final simple math formula to position everything isometrically. im sure you can create a simple game where you can place different track parts on a 2d grid and get that working fine well its the same concept here. go look at openrct2 they already decompiled this game by hand.

lmao

Analytic geometry is a visual subset of linear algebra, so I'd say he does need the matrices.

making a good game independently has little to do with how good you are at programming

drawing graphics in isometric is fucking basic you tools i did it when i was in middle school

IIRC, the C bit was just for OS interaction like file IO.