NBSD vs OBSD ?

Which one should I install to use on as a desktop on a Thinkpad T61 ? Which one has the best performances on relatively old hardware ?

Attached: openbsd-vs-netbsd-1-prev.jpg (468x263, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cio.com/article/2434264/torvalds-calls-openbsd-group--masturbating-monkeys-.amp.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAMMER2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

NetBSD is mostly dead nobody actually uses it.
OpenBSD has VERY limited hardware support and is mainly used in network appliances.
FreeBSD if you want a traditional desktop or server.

NetBSD it is.

Dont listen to retards here that want to push OpenBSD meme. FreeBSD is the only proper BSD.

Mom my ZFS drive crashed again. Take your cuckBSD elsewhere

Dumb autist

Not OP, but someone redpill me on NetBSD and why it died.

This. OpenBSD got BTFO by based Linus anyway.

Linus calls OpenBSD literal niggers:

cio.com/article/2434264/torvalds-calls-openbsd-group--masturbating-monkeys-.amp.html

>tfw the only viable BSD on the market is MacOS X
Feels shitty, man

t. ranny

Maybe you should buy yourself proper ECC RAM and stop blaming ZFS which was not made for simple everyday home usage you poorfag. And btw I use zfs on my home PC and I never encountered problems with corrupted data.

>Thinking RAM has to do with a hard drive format
Retard detected

OpenBSD supports most hardware, take a look at the general thread

Linus talks out of his ass a lot. Three years before he gave that talk, the OpenBSD devs found the SACK bug that only got discovered in Linux a few days ago.

Quick question. What's the most obscure BSD that I can try out on a T61? And by obscure, I mean so obscure that not even OS hipsters have heard of it.

Why do you want that?

Apple Darwin is the only usable BSD based desktop/laptop OS

I don't understand the anti-OpenBSD shilling. All BSDfriends are chads. Personally I've had an excellent experience with OpenBSD as a work computer. At first I was almost frustrated at how stable it was - realized I'd gotten used to distrohopping and trying meme WMs/DEs to the point that it became a time sink.
It just doesn't get in my way, which is what I want. I think that's true of all the BSDs no matter your preference.

Attached: 1557260062198.png (936x550, 468K)

Based.

The OpenBSD shill is a pitiful man who knows absolutely nothing about technology and will try to hide this fact through any means possible. If you attempt to engage one in a serious discussion about flaws of the OpenBSD environment; for example, the lack of ports auditing, the lack of support for a journaling filesystem, SSD trim, filesystem encryption (all things the other BSDs and Linuxes have had for years; all very basic security functionalities), they will cower away and attempt to mask their technological ignorance behind meta-politics or codes-of-conducts, for the simple fact that these are all their feeble smooth brains can understand. They typically come straight from r*ddit or Jow Forums, sometimes as Terry Davis shills who started browsing Jow Forums during the election, and sometimes as Linux users who failed to install Gentoo or Arch who sought embrace and individualism in an operating system they assumed nobody else used. (this goes back to my first point; never believe for one second that an OpenBSD user on Jow Forums understands or cares in any way about the code running his operating system). OpenBSD is, of course, designed to work out of the box - it ships with Xenocara and has relatively sane install defaults so that any user can spam enter and get a working desktop environment.

I have been lurking these threads for a while now in search of serious discussion, and have not encountered a single OpenBSD user who understands more about the operating system they use than the average Ubuntu or Windows user. Don't fall for it. There are great use cases for OpenBSD, but don't think for one second that anyone who posts in these threads knows what they are.

I disagree but respect your opinion. No operating system is perfect. There will always be shortcomings and things in the works.
OpenBSD is an OS I'm able to mostly fully understand. It is very opinionated, and as such, there is usually one proper way to do or configure something. The security benefits - from kernel-level to the hundreds of user land tweaks - are primarily just a bonus for me.
Have an excellent day, friend, regardless of your OS of choice. I hope it serves you well.

Attached: 1556071287891.jpg (1920x1200, 1.05M)

For an experiment

I want to be the BSD equivalent of the Windows user being told to use Arch meme

If you ever need help with NetBSD you will find that the internet has almost ZERO results, because almost ZERO people use it.

DragonflyBSD is not that popular, but contains some pretty cool stuff like HAMMER2.

wtf is HAMMER2?

It's an advanced file system with many cool features. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAMMER2

Why the fuck would I want to do that when I can use the superior wife killer file system?

I use both NetBSD and OpenBSD; I'd say go with NetBSD.

The reason? Most of NetBSD's packages are more up to date than OpenBSD's and in my experience the hardware support is better.

That doesn't stop me from having an OpenBSD desktop. Pic related, had to put both machines in storage, but this is a screenshot from my OpenBSD machine from earlier this year.

Attached: screenFetch-2019-01-15_21-56-01.png (1920x1080, 1.64M)

OpenBSD does not update the packages in -release, you need to either compile from ports or use -current if you want updated packages.

Which one of these is the non cucked one? i.e. the one without any tranny coc sjw crap?

Everyone except FreeBSD, which is not mentioned here anyway.

They're all cucked.

>filesystem encryption
OpenBSD's had that for years.

UFS has native encryption?

>pussy whipped by his own daughter
>BTFO anyone
Nah Linus, the certified cuck.

I'm going to buy a 512gb ssd to install netbsd on once I can get one for like 40 dollars.

It's handled by their soft RAID implementation but in the end is still FDE. When done in this manner any FS can be encrypted.

aaand.. remind me of who got totally silenced fucked and cucked in its own home after enabling screaming human parodies to gravitate around his kernel.