/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1524428582857.png (720x1120, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ban7wspkrNQ
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1149530#p1149530
explorerplusplus.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

10/10 GNU drawing

Debian Buster soon™
My Wheezy machine is turning into a pumpkin.

what is the best i3 status bar?

Is zorin os worth trying for someone switching over from Windows or is it complete shit?

Attached: 1200px-Zorin_OS.svg.png (1200x1200, 25K)

Pretty sure it was in the snap store last I checked.
Personally use YACReader though.

How would I get rid of screen tearing on nouveau NVIDIA drivers? every guide I see deals with the proprietary drivers so I am lost

How do I base an entire distro on the Guix package manager without using GuixSD?

I gave it a go, but I decided to wait until there's more dumbed-down documentation and advice threads populated with useful tips. I'll try it again in the winter. Meanwhile, I'd like to be able to set up services and use Wayland and KDE applications without too much DIY.

For some reason I never get screen tearing in Gnome. Not sure if it's down to Wayland or Gnome's in-built compositor.

Thank you!

I just downloaded Mint onto my x230 and I can't get my trackpoint sensitivity down. The mouse and touchpad settings don't seem to be affecting the sensitivity of the trackpoint in any way. Any clue on how I can make it so I can adjust the trackpoint's sensitivity?

isn't it just an ubuntu clone with it's own DE configuration? I'm sure its fine

netinstall something tiny/stable. Put guix on top, build rest of distro?

>open sores graphics drivers cause CPU to experience %95 load when MPV just plays back a video

amdgpu does not have this problem

It's just more bs on top of Ubuntu that you'll outgrow very quickly. Ubuntu, Fedora, and SUSE are about as easy as desktop Linux gets. Pick one and learn to use it. They're all pretty similar.

I spent too much time today trying to remember how to connect to a wifi signal from the command line because I've been spoiled by DE's.

Attached: sadfrog.jpg (1252x1252, 118K)

is it better to use proprietary driver than the open source one? im using nvidia

im talking about performance

What's /fglt/'s opinion of ZFS?

Use wicd ncurses frontend.

Been using it for 2 years.
3 years before that on *BSD.

I use Proxmox and setup a 3 way mirror with double parity.
I'll probably add a dedicated cache drive and dedicated log drive later to improve write life on my zpool.

Sometime installing nvidia nonfree drivers is just a pain in the ass, but but basically they're better than nouveau

i am using manjaro though, all it takes is one click if i see this right

If it's anthing after Kepler GPUs then yes. (Maxwell beyond)

Otherwise use nouveau which is built into the kernel and doesn't require proprietary kernel modules.

i dont know what that is but my gpu is an old one on my laptop, it's gtx 740m
i feel the need to change because using gimp or krita feel like too slow right now

polybar

thank you based Proton

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-20 22-13-19.png (1920x1080, 3.45M)

Is manjaro useful for laptops? I've read it's better suited for desktops. Also, is it stable? I've seen it both as a pro and a con

It's okay, I eventually remembered I used nmcli and how to use to use it.

free software*

vaapi
vdpau

netctl + wifi-menu

>open source one
free software*

Get Artix instead.
Arch without SysD and you can choose between runinit or openrc. And no shitty middleman bloat

manjaro = arch + bloat

I'm switching from windows, I care about the friendlyness to new users thing. Is it as approachable without previous Linux experience? Also is Manjaro too bloated? I'd run it on a low end laptop

>Linux
GNU*

Yeah I'll pic a distro before getting technicalities

what's a desktop linux?

nouveau is a pain in the ass. I've had numerous issues with displayport on my 1060. Also other weird bugs like the entire desktop doing a weird but subtle animating thing for no reason. I switch to the Nvidia proprietary driver and it's fine. My only complaint is that desktop environment performance seems bad for some reason no matter what I do. Like now I'm using an old i5-4690 with the integrated Intel gfx and the desktop environment is buttery smooth. When I plug in my 1060 it's laggy no matter what.

>encounter problem
>install new distro
when will it end, bros?

Attached: 1540491993640.jpg (441x581, 136K)

i'm a dumb-dumb, new to this stuff as well. I just installed Manjaro on my T430 myself. It's been a ton of fun. from what I understand for you SysD won't matter at all. and the rest of the bloat comes from the ton of per-installed software like steam, Thunderbird firefox ect. I dunno I might be wrong here but it feels like a descent starting place. if you try it and find it too bloated you can just jump to Arch then. or you can customize it to your liking.

Fix problem.

in all fairness, distro-hopping usually fixes the issue

you must be on THE distro to end all distros then
tell us, which one is it?

Attached: 1560980728403.png (1024x576, 281K)

manjaro

the documentation is shit

What is the launcher program at the top of this SPINNAN CUBEZ video? Visible at 4 seconds in.
Or any launcher that fulfills a similar role.

youtu.be/Ban7wspkrNQ

Attached: t1.png (1197x676, 755K)

dmenu, but you can also use rofi

dmenu

Thanks guys.

Why is systemd bad?

protip: you can pipe shit to it for scripting choices
echo -e "first\nsecond\nthird" | dmenu

to be clear, i meant it fixes on issue and causes another
i was just on ubuntu but it didnt play nice when I tried using xfce (and i hate that gay xubuntu mouse) so im installing debian 9.9 rn

It's a long running meme at this point. It used to be buggy and actually cause problems but these days, it's just a standard part of GNU/Linux that autists refuse to accept.

yeah fuck that mouse

Attached: senemvxp5f531.png (1363x1524, 1.71M)

explain picture pls

would your consider it when picking a distro?

Attached: Everything-is-a-File-in-Linux.png (720x345, 24K)

1) It is not a meme
2) It's about 50% because everyone who knows anything knows how notoriously despised redhat developers are in the GNU/Linux community because they are a business and they don't give a shit about you or me, they just give a shit about their clients (Linus Torvald's even had to ban one of them from contributing to the kernel for this behavior) and we really just don't want them controlling our PID 1 (which is _obviously_ the only real reason systemd exists in the first place) regardless of how decent the software seems on the surface. It's a power wedge that I don't want redhat to have.
3) The other 50% is that it doesn't follow "the unix way", meaning that for instance if we ever want to replace systemd in the future with something better it's going to be hard as fuck to do it. Compare that to how easy as pie it was for us to replace our old init systems with systemd (to replace fucking PID 1 with something totally new). That's the power of the unix way, and that's what systemd is throwing into the trash.

Not really, every distro worth using as more than just for hobbyist fun uses it.

but for a normal daily user does it even matter?

It doesn't matter one way or the other. You could use systemd, or you could use an alternative and you will hardly notice any difference.

But if all you do is check your email then you could also be using Windows or you could be using GNU/Linux and you'd hardly notice any difference too, right?

I'm using GNU/Linux because I want to control my machine, not someone else.
And I do NOT take kindly to developers who use a garden of software to tactfully create hard dependencies and attempt to _force_ distros to adopt their shit and shove it down my throat (even distros who are known for being very slow to change suddenly have to drop support for old init systems and the ONLY way any distro was ever able to avoid the systemd takeover was thanks to Gentoo devs who forked udev).
This is not the kind of bullshit I signed up for. How about you?

What I gather from my totally unexperienced reading, is that some developers tried to force a piece of software that, by building almost everything around it, it takes the choice away from people that do not wish to use it. Is that correct? If that's the case, i'd rather not use it.
However, I never installed any distros, so I'm a bit worried that this has a way steeper learning curve.
I was considering installing Manjaro but some anons told me to try Artix Linux. Will the install be that much harder? I also read that I can simply uninstal most of Manjaros "bloat". Is that so?
Sorry if I come off as uninformed, but every paragraph I read, more doubts arise.

>I want to control my machine, not someone else
link to your driver source repo?

Attached: 1560977233288.jpg (800x596, 52K)

>it takes the choice away
no

>Artix Linux. Will the install be that much harder?
yes

>I can simply uninstal most of Manjaros "bloat"
yes

>every paragraph I read, more doubts arise
careful not to develop the autism

Yes that's a fair summary of one of the major reasons.
But honestly, you can just use a distro with systemd until you gain more experience then.
Like I said, for most users there is basically no difference, and it's not like you merely avoiding systemd right now is helping much.

What's far more helpful is that you understand the problem, so you don't turn into one of the mindless newbie drones who says
>lol it's a meme
because they just don't like seeing drama from before their time that they don't understand, and would rather dismiss it than to learn about it.

I guess I'll be going for Manjaro then. Thanks for the answers anons.

>careful not to develop the autism
Well, given Im switching to a gnu/linux SO to understand my computer better and gain more control over it I think that is kind of unavoidable.

I was there when Arch switched from rc.conf to systemd. I was annoyed for a bit but that shit is ancient history now. It's a fucking meme these days.

>43 dotfiles in home directory
Why do some programs litter the home directory with dotfiles and cache files and not use .config or .local/share?

Attached: 2019-06-21-064948_688x312_scrot.png (688x312, 58K)

this bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1149530#p1149530

People were literally collecting money to hire a hitman to kill Poettering.
The dislike of systemd is the least "meme"-tier e-war that's ever existed in the GNU/Linux commuinties.

Like I said, you probably just want to dismiss it because it's not something in your alley. That doesn't mean you're helping anything by sticking your nose in and telling others who might have more concern about their PID 1 what to think.

lax standards

if you want to clean it, check their man pages to see where they look for configs and move shit there

are there any simple way or utilities to backup dotfiles?

cp -r ~/.config [backup location]
as a cronjob

but what about the one on /home?

oops, ~/.* instead of .config

Replace them all with symlinks into a common directory. Then just backup that directory.

im not gonna pretend knowing how to do this but thanks, i'll read up stuff how to do symlinks now

>mv ~/.myconfig ~/myconfigstorage/
>ln -s ~/myconfigstorage/.myconfig ~/.myconfig

How do I clean up my bootloader?

Attached: C5BA59CD-03FA-476B-876C-359F125ACC1A.jpg (4032x3024, 3.61M)

for me it ended when i installed arch

the joke isn't very clear
that and it shows a normal file, and a character device file, linux doesn't consider them the same kind of file

the main problem is basically it replaces everything with something non-standard which considered as a bad design decision according to unix wizards such as suckless

>.config or .local/share
In a lot of cases it's just legacy. Dosbox used $HOME/.dosbox long before the XDG Base Directory Specification. Using $HOME/.program to store configuration was the standard for a very long time prior to anyone having a .config or a .local. That's why a lot of stuff like mpd looks for $HOME/.config/mpd/mpd.conf then $HOME/.mpdconf (and then /etc/mpd.conf), stop supporting dot files in the home folder and you break stuff that's worked for 20+ years.

If you're writing a new program then sure, use today's standards.

>Why is systemd bad?
There are some aspects of it which are arguably really foolish design decisions.

You're making a system service manager. That's what it is supposed to do. Then you add a dhcp client? And you do of course need a DNS resolver so let's build that in. Since you can't code anyone on the LAN can send you a packet and use the built-in dhcp client to crash the machine. Yes, that actually happened. A service manager listening for DNS and mDNS is fine except for those using something else which not can't bind to 127.0.0.1 unless you disable systemd-resolved.

That systemd keeps adding things that simply shouldn't be part of a init system and service manager is a very valid point. And it has in a lot of cases left machines wide open to attacks. That's a problem with specific parts/code in the cases that are publicized - but if you ignore all the specific cases and look at the underlying reason why there's been so many problems and why it's bound to be more in the future it's simple: systemd shouldn't be trying to handle those things in the first place.

Attached: systemd-dhcpv6-client.jpg (3456x2304, 2.54M)

1- Mount the EFI partition to a free mount point:

— Run command prompt as Administrator

— Type “mountvol X: /s” (without the quotes, X being an unused mount point)

2- Use Explorer++ (Free, Open Source app) to manipulate the files on the partition:

explorerplusplus.com/

— Run Explorer++ with administrative privileges

Open up the EFI partition and delete all the unwanted bootloader files. If you are dual booting with Windows, do not delete the Windows bootloader files. If you do so, you will not be able to boot into Windows.

>he doesnt use windows explorer with qttabbar

what about in a linux environment?

Install that buggy systemd release that wipes efi

dont be a smarty-pants

depends on your partition setup really
/boot/EFI
/boot/loader/

alright, ill give it my all, thanks

I made it worse :c

Attached: B40ED62A-6F80-49BE-981B-27937A1A7DE2.jpg (4032x3024, 3.73M)

>I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Attached: 1561072236048.png (646x595, 280K)

Even worse, I can’t get into my os now, it takes me to a grub command line thing
Can’t boot from usb either, just hangs on a black screen, tried several different drives and images
I really fucked it this time, gents

tried a gentoo image and it gave these errors
fuck me

Attached: 7D023CE7-D541-42AB-BACC-777879FA7E11.jpg (3356x1924, 1.49M)

Attached: iu.png (1600x1000, 199K)

im going to bed now, but please give me suggestions to try in the morning if I havent kms by then

how do you plan on getting kernel mode setting going while asleep?