The computers at my cram school use unactivated windows 10 versions and the guy in charge of them is clearly...

The computers at my cram school use unactivated windows 10 versions and the guy in charge of them is clearly incompetent so I thought I might as well offer the head of the building if I could "put their computers up to date" meaning I'd install linux in them.

After that I got thinking: what would be the best Linux setup for normies? the kind of normies that download a pdf from chrome, click on it and adobe pdf reader opens it automatically. I was considering debian for its stability and kde because of how normie-friendly it is but I'm not so sure myself since I don't use it. I was also taking into account driver compatibility and I considered Fedora but, again, I don't use it.

So I ask you: what would be the most stable and normie-friendly Linux distro and desktop environment?

Attached: 1554775804094.jpg (640x780, 108K)

ubungu

I think it's a horrible idea to install linux because somewhere along the line something is going to be incompatible, and you're going to be the only person to face for it.

You're better off convincing them to purchase keys for it, if that doesn't work then I guess you should install some distro.

Pirating also seems to be out of the window since it's a security issue.

Linux Mint

That's why I'm trying to decide on which distro to use; I need one that 100% of the time WILL be compatible and wouldn't need more tinkering than windows in case something goes wrong

Bad bad idea user.

You'll just be known as the guy that fucked up all the computers.

This. Stop trying to be the “hero” and just have them buy keys, if they really need it (they don’t.)

Contrary to popular belief, most people won’t like Linux. They don’t even *want* to use a computer. They’re only there for school.

>cram school
WTF, do you live in an anime?

I echo the concern for damage to reputation. But what you want to install is Ubuntu 18.04.

Do not do this. Only pain follows from this path.

>I need one that 100% of the time WILL be compatible
uhh oh

Great idea mate. Use Manjaro Linux for 100% comparability. It even comes preinstalled with Steam.

>I need one that 100% of the time WILL be compatible
The distro you are looking for it windows 10.

I'll take the safe path and heed the warnings. It was an interesting idea to entertain nonetheless. I might contact the IT guy and maybe see if we can test out linux on 1 computer or something.

I thank you all for your inputs.

Unironically this

Why would they even let you "put their computers up to date"? I get the impression that you are just a student there am I right? And why do you think their it guy is incompetent?

for normalniggers you want to go as niggerlicious as possible so is correct as expected of the first and best post

Why would you even bother doing this if you're not getting paid?
It's obvious that the IT guy doesn't know linux, you will just end up being a tech support grunt after this.
If you want to "help", just activate the windows 10 installs with HWID.

Any answer besides zorin and you're a major faggotcuck

Trying to install linux is stupid, contrary to what neckbeards believe there are programs in the world that don't run on linux besides games.

Most schools will be using some kind or proprietary database program to manage their shit ranging from student grading to curricular management. Not to mention Office alone is reason to stay on Windows.

OP is a dumb fuck.

You will regret this because you're going to be the one that has to fix it. At least get fucking paid for it, if you want to go down this route.

Another route would be getting a couple RHEL licenses, CentOS for everything else, and replicating errors on the RHEL so you can get support for it.

Step 1: Get a contract to get paid, because you should not be doing this pro-bono.

>meaning I'd install linux in them
*GNU/Linux
>I was considering debian for its stability and kde because of how normie-friendly it is but I'm not so sure myself since I don't use it.
>but I'm not so sure myself since I don't use it
Definitely install that, It's very good. Try LXQt if they're lower end PCs.
>I was also taking into account driver compatibility and I considered Fedora but, again, I don't use it.
Debian offers .isos with nonfree drivers in them, so if drivers are an issue install them.
As for Fedora, it's rolling release so I wouldn't recommend it for a computer which always has to work without any assistance.

Also this. It needs to play nice with their existing environment.

By the way, I recommed you try talking to them about software freedom and the GNU project before even attempting to install another OS on their PCs. I'm sure they'll understand the various benefits of it then, instead of treating it as another pointless update.
Not him, but I consider furthering free software such an important task I don't mind doing it >for free.

I would never do this in a work environment but if you aren't being paid, there are zero consequences and if they tell you to reinstall windows 10, you can tell them "fuck you pay me". Win-win, install gentoo.

You'd be someone's sysadmin for free? It's not the software. It's that they're going to ask your valuable time to keep it going, install programs, manage users, etc. Integrating Linux with ActiveDirectory isn't trivial - especially if you haven't done it before, and that's really basic environmental shit. To do it right, again if you haven't done it before, we're talking at least a couple work days. It's not about the software. It's about your time as a person who is not a slave, and when it's going to take that long, there should only be one response:

Fuck you, pay me.

Ubuntu with support plans, because I doubt you want to handle all their problems for free.

Lmao

>Linux
Please stop referring to the GNU/Linux operating system as "Linux".
>You'd be someone's sysadmin for free?
Yes, but only if OP's school agrees to teach free software to their students, and not make them use any propietary software.
My time is of miniscule value compared to teaching to potentially hundreds of children about freedom.

ok have fun in venezuela and make sure to bring some antibiotics and a backup generator with you while you're at it.

Haha, I was only talking about an hypothetical scenario. Of course I wouldn't move to another country just to be a free sysadmin, but if I lived near that school I wouldn't mind assisting if it meant students don't get their freedoms denied.

if you're not paid to update and maintain it absolutely do not do it. you'll be responsible for any little thing that goes wrong normies aren't going to troubleshoot themselves they'll just call on you to fix it.

>distro
Top zozzle.
Quit trying to fix a problem that doesnt exist.

This. And only this.
If you can do something well, never do it for free.

lmao
freetards are hopelessly clueless and stupid.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, stop bargaining with yourself.

Attached: toot king.jpg (1080x1176, 177K)

install vista on all of them

Why are you Linuxfags so fucking retarded? Nobody wants to use your shitty OS, and when something goes wrong, which is will because eventually something will break or some program will be incompatible, you'll get what you deserve