/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Now with the title in the correct field.

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed) (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed) (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed) (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed) (embed)

Attached: 1547562567624.gif (500x333, 1.76M)

Other urls found in this thread:

item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=593640763457
getblackbird.net/documentation/
ameliorated.info/
igeeksblog.com/how-to-find-the-owner-of-lost-iphone-ipad/
discussions.apple.com/thread/5987838?answerId=26024763022#26024763022
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#libopus-1
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#opus
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh
pcpartpicker.com/list/tDmcJ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Recommendations for FOSS note-taking programs? Interesting in Cherry Tree

What are the best programs for generating custom tripcodes?
I tried tripcode explorer since the computer I was using it on had no graphics card, and got ~7M hashes/second, but I get the feeling I could get much faster.
I've got an old graphics card I could use for it, I think it's a GTX 750 Ti. Has to be linux/wine compatible.

I just bought a new monitor (acer kg271u), for one the color seems slightly "washed out" compared to my old monitor, but more importantly I seem to be getting "coronas" on fast moving objects. I'm using it with freesync on my 1660 Ti, and I tried changing the "overdrive" setting in the OSD but it seems to be lock on "normal" while freesync is active.
Question is, is there any way to test the color accuracy, and to mitigate the movement ghosting/coronas without disabling freesync? Thanks.

I used to use an old Japanese program for it back in like 07/08. I forgot that was even a thing... I don't remember where to find it, but I wish you luck. Also yes, having a parallelized computing core would help with hashing them. Not sure how well the program would utilize a card though unless it's programmed to do so.

I can take a course on:
-Compilers
-Operating systems
-Networking

Basically ignorant about all 3

Which do I pick, based on
-usefulness?
-interestingness?

You're probably remembering same the one I'm using, it's Japanese and dated 2008. It uses 100% of the CPU, spread across as many threads as needed.
I tried it since it was (at least at one point, by some people) considered the fastest CPU-based program for it.

Compilers seems more directly interesting to me and would be good if you want to do low-level programming or embedded work, networking seems better suited for securing a job right out of school though.

How long does it actually take someone to learn code well enough to become a S00PER 1337 HAXXOR for the government?

Depends how much they practice and stick with it. I would say if you practiced C every day for a month you'd be good enough at it to start learning about ASM and reverse engineering.

Neat. That gives me hope.

How can I download videos from taobao? yt-dl doesn't support it.

The video is in a normal item page, it's a short video preview and I really wanted to get the bgm but I can't download the file to demux it, tried with inspect element too and it's not linked to any video container format, it's more like it streams something similar to base64 format but it's just a guess, I cannot even grab the encoded data, firefox fails when I try to download the source of the embed video.

Video in question: item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=593640763457

How do people come up with the directory structure for a project and what's some good practice?
I mean things like
src, include, docs, libs... This kind of stuff.

Is there a simple gadget that I can use to plug a portable external hard drive into to play my media onto my tv. Preferably with a good ui, good video format support or just able to install vlc?

What metatags names do I need to use for the MKV format so information like season, episode number and show name appear in the info bar of MPC or is it just not supported at all?

Attached: MPC.png (1216x792, 897K)

I just found out about this Blackbird thing while looking for ways to, hopefully, block all telemetry out of Windows 10.

getblackbird.net/documentation/

I can't find much on it on Google, but then again, it's not like I can find much on the way of user reviews of tried-and-true things like KMS and MDL's stuff.

While I'm at it, might as well ask about Ameliorated.
ameliorated.info/

Any experience reports?

Attached: f85.png (653x653, 629K)

kys shill

>using windows

So I have a 2080 Ti with the OC friendly TU102-300A chip.
It's a Zotac AMP edition (non extreme) so the wattage is limited to 115% of the default.
Would it make sense to flash a higher wattage BIOS on it?
It has only 2x8pin power connectors.
How would I even go about doing that?

Posted this in the other thread too. Plz help.
Got an AKAI MPK Mini connected to a desktop.
I want it to be off when the computer goes to sleep instead of being lit up. I tried the power options menu thingy in control panel but there wasnt an option for power in the dialog box for the midi keyboard.
Are there any other ways I could turn it off instead of plugging it out when the computer goes to sleep?
Please help,
Win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 3, Asus motherboard.

Attached: Purple.jpg (1680x1050, 28K)

If I calibrate a monitor and apply an ICC profile then plug the monitor on a different computer,will the ICC profile be retained?

I think not since the ICC profile are loaded from the OS and not stored in some flash memory in the monitor,am i right?

I was retarded and bought a laptop without a CD/DVD Drive, thinking I wouldn't need them in 2019.
Now I remembered some junk I burned in the late 90's / early 00's I could use and I've no way to access them.
What's a decent external CD/DVD reader I could buy for cheap to use VERY sporadically?

Attached: y8s48ysohdi01[1].jpg (500x522, 44K)

Look around on Ebay and amazon. I have seen some by Asus for like 30 dorrarsz

what hypervisor does Jow Forums recommend for running windows and Linux on a Mac host?

Any USB DVD drive off Amazon or Newegg. Like $25. You can plug them into smart TVs and use them as DVD players too.

If you can write a compiler, you know pretty much everything you need to know to be a programmer. Other than a tool chain and a useful programming language. OS and networking will fill your head with random factoids that you could've picked up from Wikipedia and RFCs if you ever somehow needed to know them.

If i use 8C 20A 2500mAh batteries in my battery bank, will i die?

I got a new laptop, are there any utilities I shoudl be using righ toff the bat? Things that install programs in bulk, or just remove bloatware? That sort of thing. It runs Windows 10 Home unfortunately.

Generally not, I think there are some that allow you to store shit on the monitor, but they're the exception and you'd know it if it can do that.

Fuck, this gif is adorable. It's that type of wholesome that makes you want to smile for days on end.

How about you do a clean install of the OS to remove all the bloatware they no doubt shipped your laptop with

I'm a retard, can I do that without buying a new windows install? I'd assume so.

Question here guys. What's the easiest / best way to execute a DDOS attack? Preferably anonymously I guess. This isn't on any sort of commercial website - it won't cost anybody any money.

Are there any listening tests comparing ffmpeg's native opus encoder with libopus?

I found an ipad pro 9.7 in my uber last night, but it got icloud locked this morning. I wanna get it up and running, do i just need to replace the motherboard with a known good one?

Give it back, Jamal.

Are you okay user? FFmpeg depends on Opus.

Yeah sure if it told me where to return it to, sure.

Leave it in the Uber for the owner to pick it up, you double nigger

If you know or suspect which customer it was then you could contact them and ask them if they might have left something valuable in your car (obviously don't tell them what the valuable is because they might just lie and say it's theirs when it isn't).

This website advises connecting the iPad to power, and preferably to iTunes: igeeksblog.com/how-to-find-the-owner-of-lost-iphone-ipad/

If you connect it to iTunes then it might tell you the name and some contact details of the owner, apparently. So you should do that and see what comes up. But in addition, you should keep the iPad connected to power so that the owner can use "Find my iPad" and I think they might be able to send messages to the device which might contain contact info.

Also interestingly I found a post from a former police officer saying that handing it into a police station might not really help, because the police will likely do nothing to track down the owner: discussions.apple.com/thread/5987838?answerId=26024763022#26024763022

You could do this as a last resort though. But only after you've tried the above methods for tracking down the owner.

Also you could contact Apple and see what they advise.

Someone told me to replace the few REMUX rips I have with HEVC x265 encodes, as the difference in quality is negligible.
Is this true? I admit that I could use the extra space, but if the difference in quality is too big, I'll just keep them.

I don't think you understand me. FFmpeg offers two encoders to produce Opus output.
One is libopus
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#libopus-1
and the other one is their native and yet experimental encoder
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#opus

I know that their native encoder is supposed to be inferior, but I'd like to know how much worse it is.
Any comparisons between their native opus encoder and libvorbis would also be welcome.

Dude im the driver you dumbass
I have a buddy who works in a genius bar, he tells me that lost ios devices generally just end up in the refurbished page on the apple site if it was ever wiped remotely via find my phone on icloud. This ipad is asking for me to enter the account it was used to set it up the first time with no email on it, so im guessing it was wiped remotely via cellular. I can either donate it to apple just so they can rip someone else selling it as a refurbished item, or send it to a police station just so they can do fuck knows what with it, or i could just salvage key components from it. I just wanna know if i could just replace the mainboard. Heck i'd even consider just buying a broken screen ipad off ebay and just swap the screens if nobody can answer my initial question

HEVC is good for moderate to low bitrate encodes. The difference between a HEVC encode and a Blu-Ray remux is negligible for normalfags, but if you're more concerned about quality than size then avoid them (especially for grainy footage).
If you really want to save some space, look for high quality AVC encodes.

Is there a way to make Tab Mix Plus for firefox automatically clear the address bar when I open a new tab? I used to be able to do it with another addon I used but I'd rather keep using Tab Mix.

Attached: 1544904094809.png (725x628, 131K)

It would appear so. It'd seem I run this on the new computer itself.
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh
Thanks.

Should I bite the bullet on any of these? Have you guy done it? Is this a bad idea or a decent one?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-21-13-56-12.jpg (1440x1835, 587K)

Windows is installing broken graphic driver over and over again.It doesn't matter if I uninstall it.What should I do?

I can't connect to a friend via Filezilla.
I use Windows 10, his server is GNU/Linux. Our protocol is SFTP, and this is the result we get every single time I try to connect to him:
>Status: Connecting to [ip:port]...
>Status: Connected to [ip]
>Status: Retrieving directory listing...
>Status: Listing directory [directory]
>Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
>Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
>Status: Disconnected from server
Changing timeout settings to 0 seconds makes no difference. Our firewall settings seem perfectly normal.
What is happening? We were able to connect to eachother perfectly fine yesterday, but not today.

so true, loving this gif

Just know that 3TB drives are the least reliable.
Get a 2TB or a 4TB.

Been working on alot of ftp stuff lately, i rmember seeing a disscussion about timesouts os specifically the list dir command of sftp if the directory was huge enough and that specific step doesnt use standard timeout, I belive there was some other way to edit it, if your server has alot of files/ interbet is slow enough in listing them that might be the issue.
Also filezilla sucks as a client imo use winscp

Coming from a computer with OLED to a shitty backlit laptop screen is really messing with me.
Is there some way I can improve my experience?

Tried WinSCP, I had the exact same problem. The server doesn't even have many files on it.

where is /csg/ bread?

Is there a reason why I can't enable HDR and WCG on my laptop after re-installing Windows?
I went from W10 LTSB to LTSC, and I could do it before.

Not that good TB/$ honestly, you can get 8TB external drives for 120$ occasionally. Those have warranty even.

I just installed win10 LTSC. After a while, I got the blackscreen-with-cursor-error. But the fix that people suggested on google (ctrl+alt+delete to bring up task manager) doesn't work. I tried forcibly shut it down by holding power button. But I couldn't get into bios, either it's because the ssd is too fast, or the fast boot is on.
What steps should I do to fix this situation?

First time PC builder here. After some research, I think these components might be worth it. Could anyone confirm, please? pcpartpicker.com/list/tDmcJ8

>600€ for main components
>Mainly for gaming
>Don’t care about ultra max settings, but want decent performance
>As silent as it could be within budget

Excuse my ignorance, and thank you for any help.

Attached: 92A7910B-7BFE-4B02-A4B1-1743337515F8.png (900x792, 375K)

we have Wait for Zen2

>80plus bronze
>discrete gpu with 2400G
>ddr4-2400
I can award points for effort, but nothing more.

Thanks for answering.

I also posted in the thread, but no one responded and I got impatient.

Also, I understand that I may have gone a bit overkill on some pieces?

Where do people go now to pirate their music? I'm in the process of backing up all my Spotify and GPM playlists onto a local drive so I don't have to deal with their premium bullshit. I have hundreds of individual songs, and if it were albums I'd just download them off TPB or something. I don't want to rip from Youtube because of dogshit bitrate, so what's the best way to get a decent copy of my songs?

>be me, Wintoddler
>set up secondary Linux machine (running Ubuntu Server)
>attach 8-TB drive to Linux machine (/dev/sdb)
>create partition in drive (/dev/sdb/sdb1)
>encrypt partition with LUKS
>open encrypted partition (/dev/mapper/sdb1)
>create and mount filesystem (/srv/0)
>share filesystem over Samba with "security=user"
>try to open shared filesystem on my Windows machine
>type in the same username and password as my Linux machine
>this should work (quote from the Ubuntu Server Guide: "security = user: requires clients to supply a username and password to connect to shares. Samba user accounts are separate from system accounts, but the libpam-winbind package will sync system users and passwords with the Samba user database.")
>it doesn't work
???

Overkill? The only thing you went overkill on is the SSD, which is overpriced relative to the rest of your build. The SU800 would be more in line. No point getting a 2400g when you're getting an external GPU anyway. AMD responds much better to 3000 ram. I don't know when they're going to put out the lower end GPUs, but at least wait till the 7th for the processor.

How the hell did you get OLED on a computer?

fucking open media vault
one in eight installation attempts actually finishes and the computer is left hanging after the "press continue to reboot" message indefinitely
what the fuck is wrong with it

How do I start learning about computers and stuff?

Can someone please help me with MPC-HC?
My dual audio shows are defaulting to english audio even though I have the default track preference set to "jap" and allow overriding external splitter choice checked.
I could've sworn this is all you need to do

two questions semi related.

A)Considering the dynamics of hot air (hot air rises etc.), why are CPUs located at the top of a motherboard? wouldn't it be smarter to position it lower where the air is slightly cooler?
B)Why are tower cases so popular? wouldn't it be better for heat dissipation if the case was level like the old Performa mac computer (pic related)

I know its probably a negligible difference on both counts, but I still dont see why not use those facts to help even by a little.

Attached: perf6300-xb6061566bv-2.jpg (800x597, 53K)

If lisp is so great why doesn't anyone use it

you're honestly asking if putting the cpu on the bottom of the case, where it will heat the fuck out of everything inside precisely because of the dynamics of hot air that you seem to have a grasp on, would be a better idea?
really, nigger?

I was able to snag a gaming laptop, with pretty good specs, for really cheap. But when I run it, the performance is REALLY bad, way worse than the specs would indicate, and I cannot fathom the reason. The laptop has two GPUs. I have updated the drivers of both to the latest. I have gone into power options and set Switchable Dynamic Graphics to maximize performance. Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U (8 CPUs) ~2.0GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics
GPU: Radeon RX 560X Series
Memory: 8GB

Given these specs, what I have looked up about the 560X, I should be able to run most recent games at good performance. But even when running oldish games like Skyrim on GTAIV on highest settings, it runs pretty bad with a lot of lag and the fan gets really intense. Minecraft also runs really bad with graphics tuned high. Is this a case where the weaker, integrated GPU is interfering somehow, taking up too much memory? If anyone has experience with a laptop with two GPUs, is there something you need to do to unlock its full potential?

>shitpost, watch anime and game from 15:00 to 21:00
>Study 21:00 to 04:00 as I feel guilty about wasting the daytime
>Sleep 04:30-13:00
How can I fix this vicious, self sustaining cycle?

Attached: 1561123360142.jpg (1448x2048, 537K)

if your CPU is hitting temps that could fuck up components, you need better cooling because your CPU is in danger. besides heat spreads upwards so those components will be actually cooler than the CPU.

and if you do a lying down motherboard then its not a problem at all.

B: tower cases fit into office desks better than flats.

I would say the problem is your 2500U god chip is clocked slower than an Athlon64. What kind of eight slice toaster is this anyways, that it has two full AMD gpus and so little memory?

Is $45,000/yr a normal salary for tier 1 support assuming you live in an area that isn't high cost of living?

Why is there a difference between the total size of all of the folders at the root of my hard drive and what windows tells me is the used space on the disk?

From what I've been able to gather, if a file is smaller than the cluster size -- say 128 bytes, with 4096 byte clusters -- the file will occupy the whole of that cluster, or 4096 bytes. But in no way should that amount to 194 GiB, should it? I also checked the drive for shadow files as well, but there weren't any. My recycle bin is empty as well.

Attached: 194 GiB of unaccounted for disk usage.png (692x148, 14K)

Its an Acer Nitro 5

First, "8 CPUs" doesn't mean anything. It has 4 cores, plus the AMD equivalent of hyperthreading. It also maxes out at 3.6ghz. Ok, but by no means a powerhouse.

Your GPU is about equal to a desktop Rx 550, or considerably less than a GTX 1050. In other words, you're dealing with some weak sauce cause you went with a laptop. Never pay for a dedicated gpu in a laptop.

If you haven't already be sure and do a clean install of windows.

If you're just selecting folders, that probably doesn't include hidden or system files.

I have hidden files turned on.

Can you recover data from a reformatted drive?

Hypothetically: yes. Practically: no.

You can use something like photorec to scan the drive to find files, but it won't recreate the folder structure.

Do you have system files turned on?

thanks. seems like i wasted my money. oh well. lesson learned, i guess

Where would I go to check? I mean, I've got pagefiles disabled if that's what you mean. This isn't my boot drive, if that matters.

Its under folder options near the hidden files setting. You might also try hunting things down with winDIRstat

Thanks for pointing me to WinDirStat. For whatever reason, Windows was only showing the size of some of the files within a hidden folder for whatever reason.

Thanks, wanted to know if my shit was secure enough. That's good enough for me.

Glad I could help. If you're at all concerned that someone could find any of the files themselves, you could use something like BleachBit to wipe the free space on the drive, eliminating the possibility of any files being found at all.

Oh, you mean you want to make SURE its gone? Nah reformat doesn't do nearly enough.

Someone bake a /csg/ bread, jesus, the state of Jow Forums in 2019 lads

Should I get an internal hdd + enclosure or just a regular external hdd? Are there any negative or positive aspects I should be aware of regarding hdd enclosures?

Nah, I'm not reselling or anything like that.

I dont understand the python3 urllib module,

I open an api endpoint with response = urllib.request.Request('www.xyz.com', et cetc)
but there's nothing in the response object that I can use to read the information?

dir(response) doesn't even give anything useful, is this inbuilt module just shit?

reformatting is simply deleting the master file table (and maybe checking for bad sectors), the data is still on the drive
you want to use something like hdderase or if your drive doesnt support secure erase used by hdderase then at least dban with the pseudorandom option

im a fuking retard you need to use urlopen, the request object is just for tidying up an abstraction

fuck you nigger

Can't root. My new android
Help

Can you power on an android phone with a broken power button?
Phone is a sony xperia z2
The reset button works but doesn't power it on fully when it restarts.

Attached: 09314375.png (389x386, 312K)