/rust/

>executes faster than C while written as high level and safe as Ruby and Typescript
>no nulls, compile time memory safety
>no GC bloat
>0-cost abstractions
>comfiest and most efficient language to produce WebAssembly
>no data races
>based macros and DSL
>traits, generics, closures, iterators, enums, sum types, pattern matching
>elegant error handling
>fearless concurrency and parallelism
>quality libs that don't exist in any other languages (e.g. serde, clap, rand, reqwest, etc...)
>takes the best features of OO and FP and leaves the rest
>god-tier package management
>clean and comfy documenting and testing
>can be used anywhere from embedded systems to writing APIs and FOSS command line tools
>used by Facebook, Amazon, Cloudflare, Dropbox, Google and many major companies
>triggers Jow Forumstarded NEETs and make them use the word tranny as the only argument against the language for some unknown reason

Attached: dancing-ferris.gif (734x490, 258K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2
github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/25640
medium.com/luosrobotics/why-rust-is-the-future-of-robotics-81d7fb68fe37
github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/61993
doc.rust-lang.org/std/ptr/index.html
doc.rust-lang.org/1.0.0/book/inline-assembly.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>he does it for free

Libra is written in Rust

>triggers Jow Forumstarded NEETs and make them use the word tranny as the only argument against the language for some unknown reason
what a fucking tranny

>see tranny
>say tranny
Huh! An unknown reason!

>executes faster than C
[citation_needed]

tranny

Stop fucking spamming this thread OP go make your own imageboard and fuck off

Why is this thread spammed so much
Why is thread spamming allowed

Rust is already lost.
It has a massive infection of SJW tards

Sorry I don't want to cut off my balls and dick

Attached: 1560475447227.png (1066x809, 282K)

haha yeah, and I was like, energy...

know what I mean

the fuck is with this faggot crab meme lately? Is this the gay pride month mascot?

Attached: 1279994654303.jpg (190x190, 34K)

>the truth about the rust meme
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=151233345723889&w=2

>Such ecosystems come with incredible costs. For instance, rust cannot
even compile itself on i386 at present time because it exhausts the
address space.
UWAAAHHH

Arguments against rust:
>Stupid convoluted string type
>Ugly syntax with multiple single character abominations:

>>no production ready web servers/frameworks, everything is 0.x or nightly
>>no production ready GUI libraries
Only two valid arguments.

There's nothing bad about expression orientation, but everything else is apt.

That being said, Microsoft is now using Actix

And with GUI, unless you are Swift/C++/C#/Java/Kotlin you don't have good gui in any language

the first three are baby duck tier arguments, the last two are valid

Should I learn Rust as part of my self-directed study paper?

No sane person uses it cause of this and just NOPE out fag.
github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/25640

I tried it, it was ok.
Had to write unsafe code all over the place, and it really felt like artificially more things to learn and constantly look up reference for. Well at least there is Rustonomicon.
Memory management was never an issue so this is not the part of Rust I would appreciate. At the time I worked with it, there was no syntax/semantics for custom allocators.
Tagged unions are definitely a big win. C++ made them very annoying to use. Pattern matching also makes various places more efficient, this is one of those parts that compiler can handle way better.
Macros are ugly though. There are better ways to provide compile time reflection. For DSLs it's kinda ok.
When I leaved it, the trait objects didn't exist yet so not totally sure about them. It looks like a nice merge of compile time and runtime polymorphism. But the type system was getting increasingly more complex and I did not need any of it. That was kinda discouraging.
I'm still not sold on traits for compile time polymorphism. Duck-typed templates are unironically good. It's just C++ pushed a lot of implicit behavior into them and THAT maked them headache.

theo strawmans hard in every conversation though

oh also cargo and rustup are not supported on way too many platforms. that was a big loss for me

>no production ready web servers/frameworks, everything is 0.x or nightly
actix is now stable and used by Cloudflare in production

Looks like the PR on that book got rejected. I wouldn't really even care if they accepted it.

I don't even use Rust. I just have a job.

>>Stupid convoluted string type
examples?

based

No nagging about inane shit like pronounce they/her.
Amazing stuff.

haha, in professional space, you have a whole bunch of bigger inane stuff to worry about.

Ah yes, Rust,
a project "focused" on creating a "better" "programming" language

Attached: rust.png (807x328, 33K)

bitching about SJWs is like bitching about weather

Oh no! The Jow Forums boogeymans are here!
L-LOCK IT DOWN!

Attached: rust.png (838x268, 24K)

Rust has 6 string types.
String, &str, OsString, OsStr, Cstring and Cstr

Its ok to discriminate against men goy!

Attached: rust.png (714x528, 40K)

oh so you are retarded

no argument

NOOO NOT EQUALITY 4 ALL
BOOO CALL THE CYBER POLICE

Attached: rust.png (824x332, 24K)

If that's the hill you want to die on.
>Instead of creating new features and tools, lets bitch about wammin and patriarchy ...in code!

SHUT IT DOWN

Attached: rust.png (1031x278, 30K)

>Diversity discussions

Just write and make code FFS

Attached: time to leave.jpg (500x375, 47K)

Each of those has their uses clearly defined in the docs. I don't see the issues. C++ has char*, wchar*, char_16t*, string, wstring, string_view, wstring_view, and so on and so forth. They also have their clear uses defined in the docs.

Who says they are not creating tools? Last time I checked they are making a good language server, something C/C++ lacks.
Let SJWs be SJWs, I have my shit to do instead of bitching about them in Jow Forums's safe echo chamber.

it's the same 53 yo NEET with diabetes spamming all Rust threads with tranny and SJW words while thinking that writing assembly is more efficient than Rust.

String, &str are owned string and view into it. you use those 99% of the time
rest of listed it for ABI or FFI compatibility with other systems. You only use them when interacting with those systems because they enforce specific rules such as encoding.
If this confuses you or if you find it convoluted then I'm sorry for you.

wchar has any clear use? I thought that thing was microsofts abandoned bullshit

Plenty of legacy apps use it to this day.

its the same SJW tranny shilling his language with delusions of grandeur

You English speakers are lucky not all your nouns are gendered. Your life would be hell if people complained about chairs only being female and desks only being male.

At least in my third world language people doesn't complain about those, they are way down in the list of things to worry about.

>Jow Forums: Shitpost a la cart
>In sjw land: banned and your name and adress on some pozzed web news
Sure is a echo chamber here.

They are going after the Roman languages since a few years ago like French.

Not him, but in my country all objects use gender neutral pronouns by default, but you are free to call your boat a she and your computer a he if you want to, nobody gives a fuck.

I'm sure Jow Forumsfags would do the same thing if they had the power instead.

I thought Europe would follow. I guess I still have a few years before it comes for me.

Embedded systems.
And in serial communication.

Why would they do that they love a good shitshow.
Would defeat their point.

Its backfiring hard even if the French are pretty illogical there are some thing you don't touch.
Before they go full chopping block.

I would like C much better if it had a type system that only referred to bytes and data that is a multiple of bytes

>French rise up against SJW
nice fantasy

why exactly?

uint16_t, uint32_t?

Is it useful for robotics?

There are many strong, well addressed technical arguments against rust, valid ones. But calling them SJW is just inane.

medium.com/luosrobotics/why-rust-is-the-future-of-robotics-81d7fb68fe37

Some dll's use it depends what device you use though.
Last time was Stepper motor card that still used a 32bit dll

Macron didn't exactly win last election.

Can a city thrive if you poison its wells?
Its

you will never be a real woman

> safe as Ruby

FUCK OFF. Just.. Fuck. Off.

>pattern matching

No. pattern matching, means, like in Erlang or SML-family - everywhere.

And proper pattern matching implies partial function (each clause is a function).

match expression is nothing. Even python has some module for that.

Go back to your 50 Intel v AMD threads then, you bozo.

>paper

what papper, faggot? are you a mom''s scientist?

Hold on! We got an educated Ivan here.

brainlet

you have no idea what type systems are good for and how to use one (typedefs and casting)

lol Ivan just lol
kys

Le pen won idiot.

A paper for my degree

No do some some non cucked language.
C/C++ java/scala Kotlin SQL maybe even fucking Python for machine learning.

The only real political spectrum is authoritarian or libertarian. Right and left politics are lies to get us to accept a base assumption of authoritarianism.

>unless you are (list of widely used and the most popular languages) you don't have good gui in any language
what did user mean by this

frameworks i think like .net or swing

>SHUT IT DOWN
SHUT IT ALL DOWN!

Attached: urquhart.png (853x480, 308K)

this issue is as retarded as you, this is a raw pointer
github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/61993

doc.rust-lang.org/std/ptr/index.html

fucking retards read the docs before opening a retarded invalid issue

Julia is a scripting language faster than rust, and has native c function calls.

shall we start comparing implementations of hash functions in rust and asm?

will you suck a few dicks in public after being proven as a bullshitter?

retard writing assembly has its very rare uses, like in kernel (e.g. linux uses arch-specific code for context switching) or very high optimized numerical code, you can't do anything big with assembly

also you can use asm inside rust if you're trying to be pedantic or really need to write tailored binary

doc.rust-lang.org/1.0.0/book/inline-assembly.html

KYS fucking tranny.

Rust seems cool, but i hate how it has so many keyword out there. And so many options to do the same thing. This excess of "freedom" doesn't play nice with us, humans.

But i like cargo. It's pretty neat. It helps a lot on workflow of packing for sure. Better then most of the options out there. This is the strongest argument against GO.

Arguments against Rust:
>No employment

>Rust seems cool, but i hate how it has so many keyword out there
try using kotlin

t. unemployed

I would easily tolerate the language while they stop claiming that it is exceptional.

Apart from the borrow-checker innovation it is an amateur crappy language of the level of Ruby, with Ruby-like community of narcissistic amateur snowflakes.

If they just shut up and try to tidy the mess, including introducing an incompatible changes, then, perhaps, it will have some appeal.

Right now it is just an amateur shitfest. Any PL student, leave alone a professor, will tell you that.

For non-amateur, non-crappy languages take a look at Erlang (crappy syntax but everything is *consistent*, SML, Haskell, Scala, Go and Swift. There is a huge difference. For amateur bullshit languages look at D, Zig, Java, C++ (yes, both originally has exceptionally crappy and amateur design decisions)

And, please, stop posting this fucking crap

Call me a newfag but why is rust shilled here? Its reviled because of its community( rightfully so) and virturally ignored for not having any good products made with it.
So why the constant threads here?

user, I...

Jesus fucking Christ, user. Even mentioning this fucking Typescript clone for JVM is a sign of retardation.

>Go
>everything is consistent

Attached: 1549480446049.jpg (638x558, 64K)

because we are reviled for our community, and virtually ignored for not having made any good products

I meant that sarcastically. Kotlin is absolutely loaded with useless keywords.

NOOOOO UNSAFE RAW REEEEEE

safe space {

I'm actually interested in what Rust tries to do. It's got more of a right to exist than most languages and solves most of the annoying idiosyncrasies I come across when making something in C++. That being said I definitely agree that the syntax is dogshit. I've only done the basics and the code was already full of abstract symbols. The biggest offender to me was trying to use their iterator methods for things like map or filter. Because those functions were overloaded to hell I had to add a type annotation for every single instance and it quickly got out of hand for nested maps, something Haskell has no problem with.

And it goes without saying that the Rust community is rightly one of the most despised of any programming language I've ever seen. They're loud, annoying, and always speak with a massive superiority complex. Their obsession with identity politics is just the most noticeable part of it.

Attached: 1549441486863.gif (500x276, 115K)

how is the syntax ugly? if you dealt c/c++ long enough you can't find Rust syntax any weird