Pi-hole

can we get a pi-hole thread and talk about what I hope all of you are running on your networks?

Attached: pi.png (1020x951, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole
twitter.com/AnonBabble

donated mine to my church

thats nice

>pihole
bloat, just use a hosts file if you want to do DNS-based blocking. if its a device you can't put a hosts file on, its a device that shouldn't be on your network to begin with.

will you shut up? I like laughing at these threads. Autists love the colors and graphs. They're the same ones that choose linux distros because of how "pretty" their desktops are

OH NO HIS DEVICE SHOWS ANALYTICS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Useful for adblocking with devices that can't due it. Retarded if you think that it's a uBlock/uMatrix replacement.
I use it for my retro computers since the browsers are old and memory is scarce it allows me to have adblocking which helps getting them online as smoothly as possible.
I just run Pi-Hole in a VM, no reason for me to spend money for this.

11.5K QUERIES BLOCKED!!! SO FASCINATING! WHATEVER WILL I DO WITH THAT INFORMATION!!!!!

Attached: Nerd_Emoji_Icon_4ab932f8-9ec9-4180-8420-c74b84546f57_grande.png (600x600, 245K)

My router handles all that.

>having less than 2M entries
Never gonna make it

So you go to every device on your network and manually modify hosts files? If you're too much of an elitist to use pihole because of graphs then use nginx directly and stop being fucking retarded

blow it out your ass

If I browse the internet from a VM (KVM) - can I run Pi-hole from another VM on the same hypervisor, or do I need to run Pi-hole from a different physical device?

Can you describe your setup? I'm interested in running it from a VM.

You can run it on the same hypervisor as long as the PiHole VM is on the same network and on the same bridge as your other VM. Just modify your DNS settings to point to your PiHole VM IP.

that graph looks like ship/battlecruiser

Just running a light install of Debian (I made a base VM image that I clone for various appliances so I don't have to set it up every time), and installed PiHole via Docker.
github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole
You can do it on top of any Linux distro really as long as you have Docker installed.
I just suspend and resume the VM as needed.

tell me single reason why should I bother when there is ublock for desktop browsers and blokada for android?

Attached: 1558803926286.png (306x611, 216K)

For devices that can't use adblocking software (TVs, embedded devices, non-rooted phones, old computers, game consoles, Chomebooks, iProducts, etc, etc).
It is dumb for any Win/Linux desktop or laptop.

make absolutely sure nothing sneaks by

>nginx for adblocking
I mean sure it's not impossible, but why?

Because pihole is for casuals and anyone who doesn't use ublock is a massive troglodyte.

Attached: Screen2106201900001153.jpg (591x202, 27K)

see Its not that hard of a concept dudes, jesus

If you're a pleb at simple network configuration, which is simpler than furniture assembly. There is nothing to discuss or argue here on a Taiwanese picture profiling web assembly.

What the fuck are you even talking about?
Its just a DNS filter man, this isn't "simple network configuration", and the devices I mentioned don't always support editing of HOSTS files, or even have one.
Are you retarded?

Get an expensive router or build your own. Note we're still not talking about the actual fucking program in the OP.

Still why would you use nginx for the task? That seems hella out of place. Usually you'd use something like dnsmasq.

Because it lets you use it both as a Proxy and/or a DNS server, so it gives you flexibility that dnsmasq cant.

Actually I just change DNS in my router

>all those fucking spynet DNS servers
consider switching to opennic servers

>nginx
>dns server
????????

are you the same moron of the previsious threads?

I stopped plugging my raspi in.

DHCP points to AD integrated DNS servers, that have forwarders to an tinkerboard running pi-hole.

> Hosts file
Were you dropped on your head as a baby? Custom hosts files don't scale.

> Autists
Pot. Kettle. Black.

> He doesn't know how to read trending data...

Attached: Capture.png (1004x369, 58K)

>he isn't running his own DNS server

It's interesting to add black list domain.
I add up to 2 M domain blocked
Just Google pi hole block list ;)

> He doesn't know how to read trending data...
I actually do, and I did. What do you do with your pihole trending data? Do you draw up projectsions and show your board members?

>self-censorship
Why not use good old adblock and app-level firewall which could be turned off when necessary?
It might be good for TVs and other shit but using raspberry is still an overkill. Every modern router could use adblock lists.

I used to run pihole but my raspberry pi would randomly be offline after a few days, and it was annoying to have to constantly check if I could ssh in or if it bugged out and was broken. I'm not blaming pihole software, I'm unsure if it's the SD card, actual raspi hardware from it's years of use, or my power source/outlet that was causing it. After I formatted, checked the card and reinstalled raspbian lite it's been up for almost a month without issues so I'll probably set it back up again soon if it stays stable. I personally have AdAway and ublock origin on my phone but for anyone else on my network, blocking as much tracking/ads as possible is worth it even if my devices won't need it.

Besides the **oooo pretty lines**, the dashboard is a nice way to find potentially problematic filters. You easily test by whitelisting certain domains from the client itself, which would otherwise be a pain digging through logs on a remote server/firewall or disabling certain lists and crossing your fingers. The graphs and analytics are just fluff t bh.

>my power source/outlet that was causing it
Check this and make sure you have enough voltage 5V+. I had stability issues like crazy until I realized i was under-powering it

It says it's 2.5a 5v but it's old and it's a no name random psu, probably not giving it enough, so I'll eventually get something better for it if I get more problems.