How stupid of an idea was this?

How stupid of an idea was this?

Attached: tmp_1561135181546.jpg (1328x747, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/323839822674
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Engineering diagram for reference

Attached: tmp_1561135285682.jpg (1250x690, 25K)

It works, it’s just not very self contained
I mean if you had access to slim optiplexes would it really be a stretch to get some regular desktop ones?

depends how much of a performance degradation that bridge causes.

Kind of cool if it's minimal, but looks a bit gay with that tiny thing on there.

If it is stupid and it works it is not stupid.
However, it is not aesthetic.

Samefag here, lmao why is there a plant branch on top of the CPU?

It's an optiplex 9020 sff I got for free - decent specs, i7 4770, 12 GB DDR3 1600, 120GB SATAIII ssd. Trouble is it has a proprietary 250 watt psu with no extra connectors, and internally it only fits a single low-profile single-slot x16 (right,by the psu). Because of the power constraint, in particular, and not wanting to throw more than a few dollars at it, that pretty much leaves the 750ti and rx 460 afaik. I doubt they'll be bottlenecked by the cable?

The CPU is inside...

Garnish

I'm impressed that you decided to do this in the first place.

They only had SFFs, unfortunately.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap aquarium from Good Will nd mounting it over the video card with a door hinge, then poking a few holes in it with a soldering iron for airflow.

You can get any GPU as long as it doesn’t take a extra 6 pin, a 1050 Ti would be a good card, they make even low profile versions
and with that short of a PCIe bridge it wouldn’t hurt anything, it’s not like you are running a high end card

Attached: 1532892194234.png (800x800, 1.36M)

I like it in a "screw the system" kind of way.

it should be OK. you've already built it now anyway, so just see how it goes.

Attached: 1513516179918.jpg (898x886, 42K)

actually a good idea

How clean is the side panel cut, and how hard is it to remove?

1050ti was a little much, the 750ti was like $50 refurbished. But you're right in that it would have worked better. I'd just feel silly spending that much and then routing it with a noname pci riser through a door-insulation-lined case hole I cut with a dremel in the bathtub...

Bretty gud. Where did you get that metal shelf? I was in a similar situation, almost the same pc you have but my plan was to just pull the motherboard out and put it into another case.

The only change I'd do is have the card more flush with the case and mounted a little higher. Also I'd maybe make a mount underneath the card for an atx power supply to power the graphics card with a switch that turns it on when the internal psu is switched on.

Also a longer shelf so you could put decoration on it, like a little anime figurine.

Would that not be the microprocessor? and if not, how do you call the desktop tower?

1PONDO 092415-159

Cuts were pretty clean. Side removal is easier than putting on, cuz you have to bend the riser cable out of the way of the cpu cooler.

Basically I found a vertical GPU riser thing on Amazon, came with a shelf with magnetic feet. Measured the width of the shelf (about 3") to determine size of angle brackets, and used that as a guide for at least how high to put the hole. Used tape measure to find where the PCI slot was in the horizontal direction. I wanted the hole to be at least 50% bigger in each direction than the slot, and also big enough to fit the little PCB that the riser has on the end.

Then I covered the case side with masking tape and used a tape measure as a guide to mark out about a 1.5x6" rectangle in sharpie. Cut carefully with a dremel, then used sanding attachment to remove burs. Cut a section of silicone door insulation and shoved it in the hole, which covers up the imperfect cuts and looks alright. Set the mounting brackets on the magnetic feet of the riser shelf and put it on the side where I wanted it, marked the mounting holes in the brackets onto the masking tape with sharpie, then drilled one hole at a time and added a screw into the hole as I went so it wouldn't slide around. Trick is to do measurements so you have a little wiggle-room if you fuck up. Used a washer and nut to secure the screws in place.

The microprocessor is also inside, and inside of it is the cpu. I call the whole tower as computer.

The shelf is a magnetic foot thing from SUPERPLUS on Amazon. Generic name like "PCI- E 16X Graphics Card Vertical Kickstand". The angle brackets came form a hardware store, they just happened to be the right size for the feet to sit on without being too long, either 2.5" or 3", I forget.

Only problem was that the end of the riser cable had a plastic bit that was in the way of the pci locking mechanism, so I had to forcefully bend that back and away from the slot.

The shelf is actually flush with the case, but the pci cable screws in a couple mm away. If it was flush, I'd be worried about it shorting...

I couldn't really mount the hole much higher because the cpu cooler was in the way, pic related (pci card in the pic is in the 16x slot)

Attached: GUID-2A806749-CADF-414D-B2CE-54B5FBBEAE19-low.jpg (764x600, 104K)

Clean your desk

You are doing the lords work user

I was literally just working on it

so what are the temp differences?

Attached: 1458710779537.jpg (261x195, 4K)

It functions, it's properly supported and it's definitely not going to have temperature issues. How's the noise? That's my only immediate concern.

I'd have tried to mount it at a weird angle inside the case instead, providing there's room.

Heh, this reminds me when last summer I made this exact setup but with my laptop. I replaced the built in mini PCIe wifi card with a riser adapter, then cut a hole on the back panel of the laptop, hooked up the riser card with a graphics card in it. The only thing that's annoying is that I have to use a desktop PSU (manually shorting two pins to turn it on) to give it power. Other than that it's fucking great. It's essentially a ghetto eGPU setup that cost me 8 dollars (the cost of the riser, since I already had an old PSU and inherited the graphics card from my brother).

enjoy ur riser performance drop lmaolololol

There's screws with really flat heads, not sure if that would've helped. I would've just got a cheap pci-e extension ribbon and built a shelf out of 1x2 framing lumber.

Attached: Capture.png (596x557, 283K)

Not my pic but I prefer this approach.

Attached: 7et0m6mu69j11.jpg (2098x1242, 188K)

Wouldn't have worked because if the length of the card and also there's barely even 1 slot of room where the pci slot is, it is right up against the proprietary psu.

Cpu temp is pretty much the same, hard to tell because the ambient temperature is all over the place. Haven't done benchmarks on the gpu yet.

It's not stupid if it works.

Apparently if you have two PSUs in the same PC and they aren't grounded the same, you run the risk of shorting the whole thing out.

Source?

It's honestly one of cheapest ways to get a budget pc for gaming. Plenty of those old sff workstations with old i5s and i7s lying around. Putting in the biggest 75 W gpu you can get and an ssd is all you need really.

That's still way overpriced. You can get an RX 560 4 GB off ebay for $60 USD. Bear in mind there are 14 CU and 16 CU RX 560s and 2 GB and 4 GB models.
This one looks good: ebay.com/itm/323839822674

Also the airflow would be god awful.

Ghetto as fuck, but hey, as long as it works.

Why not get a low-profile card?

wx3100 is also nice

Clever. I might actually emulate your setup.

Could easily make your own shroud.